[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I made this after watching BvS. Any Fleischer fans in here?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 135
Thread images: 18
I made this after watching BvS. Any Fleischer fans in here?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDMQ3tXNKgM
>>
>>81165609
I like it.
>>
>>81165609
Great job, OP!
>>
>>81165785
>>81165889
you guys are cool dudes. Thanks!
>>
>>81165609
this is actually really good. you gonna make more vids?
>>
>>81166054
I'll be doing a bi-weekly series. Next video is about the rise and influence of Adult Swim
>>
>>81166094
that's a pretty intense schedule. good luck.

stay out of /co/ once you get popular
>>
>>81166135
/co/ is f a m, I'll always be here
>>
>>81166094
>>81165609
>inb4 shit storm
Nice video.

Smile while you read your script, it shows. You sound a bit mopey, try and narrate with a slightly more cheerful voice or attitude, but try not to go too far and get annoying with it.

You have a nice enough voice to listen to if you seem more interested and less bored. Check out ethoslab, a minecraft channel, his intonation is pretty much spot on for prolonged exposure, and he started more monotone than you.

Do it, and don't come back to /co/, and you might keep your sanity for long.
>>
>>81165609
Cool retrospective, I love these kinds of things.
>>
>>81165609
Thanks OP, you've reminded me to go and watch these things
>>
File: 1361058176847.png (216 KB, 942x870) Image search: [Google]
1361058176847.png
216 KB, 942x870
>>81165609
10/10 OP, great job!
>>
>>81166254
Thanks for the feedback. I'll definitely be more mindful of the tone from now on. I think BvS just had me bummed before recording.
>>
>>81165609
I liked it. There were some problems I had with it, but thinking on them, they're more just personal aesthetic tastes rather than actual criticisms towards your work.

I do think your tone of voice is a tad cynical and could maybe sound a little more cheerful or friendly... but that's just how it felt to me. Your voice reminded me of Ed Glaser quite a bit, but a little less enthusiastic and much less cheesy than how Glaser's inflection and intonation can come across. I don't know if these are valid criticisms or anything -- I'm always a viewer and never a creator, so what do I know?
>>
>>81166540
By the middle it got better, that's about how you should keep it, and I started writing as the thing was playing. At the end it got back to monotone.

>I think BvS just had me bummed before recording.
yeah.

Also, the font was a bit illegible, especially for someone foreign who might not recognize the word 'shape'.

Pretty good job though, it's those things like the leg push that I like to see being noticed.
>>
I think you did what here was something Snyder/Goyer were unable to do in 5 1/2 hours.

Do you think WB is embarrassed by their characters?
>>
>>81166613
I'm still trying to find my footing, never did VO before so its awkward talking into a mic in my closet. Thanks for the feedback man!
>>
>>81165609
Wow, OP! This is really, really good! I'll be sure to keep an eye on your work. I can't really give you much advice on how to improve. I think the things already mentioned earlier should be enough (for now). You put your heart into this and it shows.

Good job and keep it up!
>>
>>81165609
Nigga that was fucking beautiful.
>>
I enjoyed that polished and understated. The only thing I'd change was the Spacey Luthor moment as the humor felt tonally off and the song playing at the end felt cliche. But other than that man I'll definitely keep watching.
>>
Man, that was sweet. ._. I made a Supes video not too long ago trying to make a point, but seems shit in comparison.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DoxbQoTdAk
>>
>>81165609
Awesome job anon! Any plans for future videos?
>>
>>81165609
That was a good video. You earned a sub.
I just got out of BvS today and seeing this really pointed out how stark the contrast between the Snyder Superman and the idea of the character everyone has in their head.
There wasn't a moment in the movie, not a single one, that you could play the old theme song over without it seeming ironic.
>>
>>81166853
no nigga, YOU'RE beautiful
>>
>>81166980
Thanks! Subscribe and you'll see a vid every 2 weeks
>>
>>81165609
Good one, OP.
>>81166919
At least you tried. It's better than not trying at all.
>>
Amazing job, OP. That was a great video. The Max Fleischer cartoons hold a special place in my heart for some of the exact reasons you described. You've quickly jumped to the top of my list of /co/-related youtubers.

Can't wait for more videos; they're sure to get popular if you keep this quality!
>>
>>81167212
And OP's video's making me want to get better. And to watch some Fleischer Supes.
>>
Mate, this is absolutely fantastic! I know for a fact, you keep up the quality and style, you'll be a big hit! So much congratulations!
>>
>>81167385
There's absolutely nothing wrong about both of your decisions. Go for them.
>>
>>81165609

Your last few lines? Thanks for nailing who and what Clark is.

And while I like a good well told origin, there's one thing many people forget about Superman. He doesn't have a "secret origin." He has no triggering event. He has a past, an origin, but no Uncle Ben, no weapons sold in Vietnam, no accident. He has nothing of that sort. Just two good parents who believed in their boy.
>>
syfy has been showing a marathon of the christopher reeves superman movies today

considering its easter i thought it was fitting
>>
>>81167538

They did used to show the Superman films on Easter, didn't they? Why was that? Those films didn't bother with this horrible Superman as Christ bunk. They understood he was just a guy.
>>
>>81167520
Beautifully put
>>
>>81165609
I have extra money from not seeing BvS. Can I give it to you?

It's beyond sad and pathetic Superman is dead and we'll never have the feeling of pic related again.
>>
>>81167431
You're a wonderful human being. Thanks a lot man
>>
>>81167520
>>81167605
The one point I missed. His origin isn't "secret" at all too. He freely tells reporters about Krypton. He's an open book. He just doesn't tell them a few little things. The ordinary things everybody has.
>>
>>81165609
I'm going to be honest, I don't like your voice. And you took time to compare the detail of animation in Fleischers work to later series but you also mentioned briefly the budget Fleisher had to work with at the time briefly when talking about How the cartoon started. And the way it was presented made it look like people don't even try anymore. But I think there is a fair argument for budget, episode length and quantity limiting what an average animator or studio is capable of.

EVERYTHING ELSE though, the editing, the info, the bits of comedy was very nicely done and I did really enjoy it. Good work.
>>
>>81166094
are you going to interview space ghost?
>>
>>81165609
Your style kind of reminds Satchbag Drake of Normal Boots. Except I don't like Drake.
>>
Please for the love of shit-
Do Batman the animated series.
>>
You made me look up the series on BD to see if it existed. I got excited when it did, then sad to find out it was a cheap shit transfer. These will never be given the remastering job their place in animation, and Superman, history has warranted them, will they?
>>
so is Metropolis NYC or what? and what does that make Gotham?
>>
Not bad
>>
>>81167961

Metropolis is on the Connecticut coast.

Gotham is in the middle of Jersey on the coast.
>>
>>81167881
You batfags are never satisfied and can never fuck off.
>>
>>81165609
You mumble too much. You need to enunciate and also raise your voice.
>>
>>81167987
This isn't about batman, this is about achievements in animation.
>>
>>81167660
patron.com/kaptainkristian
I'm really only posting because you asked. Please for the love of god only donate if you ABSOLUTELY feel its worth it
>>
>>81165609
PHENOMENAL video, OP. I'm sharing this with everyone I know. Thank you!
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (71 KB, 1258x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
71 KB, 1258x720
OP, I hope you will go viral and sell out, because you actually deserve it.
>>
File: BlueTerrapinGivesYouAThumbsUp.gif (292 KB, 500x335) Image search: [Google]
BlueTerrapinGivesYouAThumbsUp.gif
292 KB, 500x335
>>81165609
Man, this was really REALLY impressive.

I'm a lecturer in film - and it's basically my job to try and communicate information in a fun and educative manner. This is actually the sort of thing I love to use to break up my lectures to give students a 5 minute break from me talking.

I'd absolutely say to put a bit more energy into your voice (please don't change it too much though - just a small shift would make all the difference I think).

Congrats. Please every now and again pop a link up on /co/ and shill your stuff if you do something new. This was top.
>>
>>81167983

but connecticut a shit
>>
File: 1379221139765.gif (3 MB, 453x335) Image search: [Google]
1379221139765.gif
3 MB, 453x335
Really well edited and interesting OP, hope you do more. Where'd you get the digital copy of the Superman animation?
>>
>>81168160

Well their drivers are terrible. Explains how often Superman has to save crashing cars.
>>
>>81167717
I hate my voice too but its all I've got to work with. I totally get what you mean about the budgetary issues. My point was supposed to be about what unlimited resources and a lot of talent and o for a project, and how production houses don't have as much confidence in the material as they used to. I didn't articulate that very well in the video. Thanks for the feedback!
>>
>>81165609
you should post this to reddit
>>
>>81168400
he already did, to 4 different subs
>>
>>81168400
>>81168431
my secret's out!
>>
File: a902fb2d1ab480_full.gif (183 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
a902fb2d1ab480_full.gif
183 KB, 320x240
>>81168272
Y-your voice is absolutely fine with me i-if you want t-to k-know my opinion...
>>
>>81168087
>>81168082
>>81168064
You guys are so awesome
>>
>>81165609
>opening sequence of MoS adds nothing to the narrative
bloated? sure. could they have found some vastly more effective way to say what they wanted to say? absolutely. still, a lot the themes of MoS are set up in that sequence

>sets up and informative show just to set up not muh at the very end
what the fuck
>>
File: What.png (324 KB, 635x355) Image search: [Google]
What.png
324 KB, 635x355
Why did this happen? What's the story of this picture of a black man in your review?
>>
>>81168272
your voice and accent are pretty good
intonation could use some work, but it's not a deal breaker.
>>
Great stuff OP. Most youtubers I find unbearable but you were excellent. And while the criticism of others on your tone is valid, it didn't bother me so much and I'm glad you avoided my problems with most youtubers in general. I look forward to more of your stuff.
>>
>>81165609

Work on your projection and speaking voice. Other than that, very good.
>>
>>81168617
The theme song says "Is it a bird? no. Is it a plane?no. It's Suuuuuuuperman!" And plane and superman don't rhyme and thats a picture of gucci mayne and plane and gucci mayne rhyme and it was a stupid joke and I'm a lame dude
>>
>>81168736
The attempt was to be admired.
>>
>>81168055
I hope you have two cell phone numbers.
>>
>>81168616
I wanted to make it relevant to the Superman of today and not have the focus be solely on Fleischer. There are other docs specifically about Max and Dave, and I wanted the video to reflect my feeling on the character. And "not muh" was basically the only thing on my mind after seeing BvS
>>
Awesome man, keep up the good work.
>>
I hope you will be covering not only cartoons, but comics as well, because there are just no youtubers who do that. I have no one to spoon feed me opinions
>>
File: 400.gif (128 KB, 320x600) Image search: [Google]
400.gif
128 KB, 320x600
>>81168616
Fuck off you insignificant retard.

Superman has been mishandled for 30 fucking years. It's okay if people express their fucking dislike of that very real fact.
>>
>>81168989
This isn't a hugbox. Criticisms are valid.
>>
>>81168982
I've got good opinions on comics for you. Your taste is shit.
>>
>>81169043
That's not something I need to be spoon fed to understand.
>>
I really like this familia
>>
>>81169019
And your criticism isn't a criticism at all. Not everyone is willing to guzzle and love the lava diarrhea DC/WB consistently shoots out their asses on our faces. They have been dogging Superman for longer than some people on this site has been alive. Many believe Superman should be public domain for that fact. It's reality that Warner has not done justice to the character and he deserves better. If Superman started killing first and asking questions later, sacrificing children for the greater good, or doing the least he could when needed the most would you say "not muh" to everyone who felt invested to a character completely different but packaged to be the same? Get over yourself.
>>
>>81168982
cartoons move, comics dont. youtube is all about that movement
>>
>>81165609
>Learning about sakuga
>Learning about Fleischer
I guess it's been an educational week for me in regards to animation.
>>
>>81168989
you act like superman is a divine concept
shouting heresy at any perceived affront to superman yet not seeing the irony in that
take your post, replace superman with jesus, and you hopefully you'll see how it's the same pattern of thought seen in religious debate

hell, i wasn't even defending MoS in my post, or any one interpretation of the character. if anything i don't like how the op video even brought up MoS, it was interesting and informative on a historical level until that point
>>
>>81168736
kek
>>
>>81169249
You've got a lot of anger. I wasn't the original anon and he wasn't directly defending DC/WB's handling of Superman either. And you can argue over what criticism is but the original anon definitely was criticising OP's video along the definiton given by google.
>>
I, for one, think your voice is fine.

And I loved the video.

What is the software if I might ask? After Effects?
>>
>>81167660

I have hope that Justice League action will have proper Superman
>>
>>81168228
The Fleisher cartoons are freely and legally available online.

For some reason they are in a public domain.
>>
>>81169605
Thanks! And everything was done in FCPX and Motion 5
>>
>>81169351
>hell, i wasn't even defending MoS in my post, or any one interpretation of the character. if anything i don't like how the op video even brought up MoS, it was interesting and informative on a historical level until that point

Then say that instead of being lazy with the "not muh" shit because "not muh" is insinuating something else, not indifference of a character's interpretation.

>>81169453
>he wasn't directly defending DC/WB's handling of Superman either.
"not muh" is typically a defense used by people to defend whatever they like and got popular by people defending MOS. Again, it not a phrase to indicate indifference at all. Using "not muh" makes that intention unclear.
>>
What ideas do you have in the pipeline and how long did this take to make?
>>
>>81165609
I've never been a Fleischer fan...but i've always had a tremendous appreciation for the way those superman cartoons looked and felt.
>>
>>81169720
This one took about a month because I was still getting the hang of FCPX( we used avid in film school). Next one is going to be on Adult Swim and I'll hit on BTAS in the future
>>
>>81169928
FCPX and Motion... I was under the impression that Apple's video editing software is pretty much dead and people are moving to Adobe stuff.

Buuut whatever works for you, it's a result that matters and yours is great
>>
Very well done, OP. It's a really professionally put together piece. 7-8 minutes is exactly as long as it needs to be, your points are made concisely and communicated intelligently. I've got no issue with your voice, it gives a degree of honesty that I often feel's lacking from the current "Hey, guys" generation of YouTubers.

>>81166909
>the humor felt tonally off
This is the only complaint I have. The jokes weren't bad jokes, they made me smile, but they were a little "loud" for such an otherwise understated piece. It creates a little inconsistency in the tone of the narrator, is he a straight forward, if not slightly sullen straight talker, or a guy who makes wacky jokes? Both are fine on their own but don't mix too easily, in my opinion anyway.
>>
>>81170053
Final cut had a major update a few moths ago and had a lot of people hop back on board. It's pretty fantastic now, paired with motion. adobe software is still great I'm just not the biggest fan of CC
>>
Great video, OP. Subscribed.

Keep it up!
>>
File: 1291331303184.jpg (68 KB, 340x341) Image search: [Google]
1291331303184.jpg
68 KB, 340x341
Top notch stuff, I'm definitely looking forward to more of your work
>>
>>81170920
>>81170618
Thanks guys
>>
>>81170989
what else do you have in the pipe?
i'm guessing the channel is going to be looks a past phenomena in pop culture?
>>
>>81171137
Only things I'm legitimately invested in. It won't be a flavor of the month channel. Like I won't be doing a video on Civil War just because it's relevant. Next one up is Adult Swim
>>
>>81171242
what's the balance you're trying to hit between the content of the subject and behind the scenes/external influencing forces?
>>
Do you go to film school or are you self taught?

I'd like to start learning a little bit of video editing myself. You did a really good job, OP.
>>
>>81165609

Where did you get those high quality footage of Fleischer Superman cartoon?

All videos I find online have crappy bitrate and conversion
>>
>>81169658

Anyone knows the reason?.
>>
>>81171843
went to film school for 2 years. wouldn't recommend it. Dropped out and learned more on youtube than I ever did in class
>>
>>81172329

Yeah, same thing but with Graphical Design here.

Any channels you'd recommend on video editing?
>>
>>81172512
I think studying other peoples work is better than digging for tutorials. I'd recommend thenerdwriter1, every frame a painting, and vox does great stuff with small animations. Those are what influenced my work the most.
>>
File: 1454951470792.png (145 KB, 557x605) Image search: [Google]
1454951470792.png
145 KB, 557x605
>>81165609
Only problem I had was saying that Max Fleischer created Popeye. He didn't, E.G. Segar did.

Other than that, great job dude! Looking forward to the Adult Swim episode.
>>
>>81168616

This. The video is great until the "not muh" and opinions about films.
>>
>>81172890
MoS and BvS are garbage, kill yourself please.
>>
File: fuckin_mint.jpg (15 KB, 321x319) Image search: [Google]
fuckin_mint.jpg
15 KB, 321x319
Wow, that was really good.
>>
that was good shit, fa'm. i like the production values too. what do you plan to do next?
>>
File: Top bantz lad.jpg (8 KB, 222x203) Image search: [Google]
Top bantz lad.jpg
8 KB, 222x203
>>81165609
10/10 would watch a sequel.
>>
>>81168617
Was also wondering about this. Chose to ignore it.
>>
>>81172241
Seconded
>>
File: Red approved.gif (1 MB, 400x220) Image search: [Google]
Red approved.gif
1 MB, 400x220
>>81165609
Top stuff dude, would watch more.
>>
>>81168055
This link is broken.
>>
>>81168736
lol'd
>>
Drop the comedy elements and it is perfectly fine.

imo
>>
>>81173499
Sauce?
>>
>>81173571
>>81168055
shit my bad, actual link is here
https://www.patreon.com/kaptainkristian?ty=h
Again, please ONLY donate if you think is 100% worth it. I'm not trying to shill for cash
>>
Any recommendations for similar YouTubers, OP? Anything in the realm of film theory or related topics.
>>
>>81174043
thenerdwriter1 and every frame a painting are the big 2
>>
>>81173847

The Wonderful 101
>>
>>81174226
thenerdwriter1 is a retarded wannabe renaissance man who reads 1/4th of a wikipedia article before making his shitty videos where he pretends incredibly basic and simple concepts and techniques are earthshattering and impressive

every frame a painting is pretty good
>>
>>81174226
The latter is great, but I don't understand why the former feels the need to get involved in social issues, he's annoying.
>>
Excellent presentation. Your last statement is probably the one thing I try to always tell my friends about superman but I can't explain it that well.

My only complaint is that you didn't speak clearly; it felt like there was a bit of mumbling.

Good luck on your future videos if made!
>>
>>81168736
It made me laugh jut now.
Pretty good video, I favorited and liked it because of the notorious effort that went into it.
>>
>>81168736

That joke went over my head

Like a plane
>>
>>81165609
>hating on Man of Steel
I'm sorry you're too ADHD to enjoy the good opening.
>>
>>81174999
well there goes the thread
>>
>>81165609
I'm always trying to explain this to people IRL
>>
File: PerfectPatcha.jpg (7 KB, 250x236) Image search: [Google]
PerfectPatcha.jpg
7 KB, 250x236
>>81165609
Consider yourself subbed and linked on facebook
>>
File: 1452618548057.gif (2 MB, 446x360) Image search: [Google]
1452618548057.gif
2 MB, 446x360
>>81165609
>>
File: thumbs up.gif (451 KB, 720x404) Image search: [Google]
thumbs up.gif
451 KB, 720x404
>>81165609
Great job on the video, fampai. Better then most of the fan stuff posted around here.
>>
The clip of Superman continuously punching a laser always makes me laugh.
Thread replies: 135
Thread images: 18

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.