[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Help
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 2
File: marvel.png (9 KB, 357x141) Image search: [Google]
marvel.png
9 KB, 357x141
So I wanna get into Marvel comics, but I'm feeling a little overwhelmed with so many. Where would you guys say is a good place to start?
>>
>>81150946
pick a team/character first, that will make it easier. youve got avengers, hulk, iron man, thor, Fantastic four, your x-teams and inhumans now i guess. also, do you want to start way back when, or jump right in?
>>
>>81151022
What do you by jump right in, because I would like to start where the story would start. Also Thor always seemed cool
>>
>>81151086
>I would like to start where the story would start
The story starts when the writer starts, bud.
Character allegiance is retarded, but if you're reading something and it mentions a past event that you're interested in there's always google.

For Thor, Walter Simonson's run is essential, Straczynski's run is commendable, and God of Thunder (Jason Aaron) is fun.
Uncanny Avengers is also his best team book appearance to date.
>>
>>81151697
I would say Fraction's run isn't terrible

it really only matters to fill gaps for Journey Into Mystery, but still, not terrible
>>
>>81150946
Any #1 of a character you like the look of from the latest line-wide relaunch.
Seriously they do this shit FOR YOU. Might as well take advantage of it.
>>
>>81152569
that doesn't really help since the last 3 or 4 #1s are almost universally just continuations of the previous run
>>
>>81150946
you could always start with the Secret Wars event that sorta rebooted everything
>>
I'd start with Spidey
Can never go wrong with the simpler times
>>
>>81150946
Nowhere. Marvel hadn't been good since like 2011.
>>
>>81151086
My LCS will mark a new floppy as a "Jumping off Point", meaning it's the start of a story arc. But usually the book will give you a synopsis of the story on the first page either way.

Or you could just start with trades.

I did a mix of trades and win-o threads before a I started a regular pull list at my LCS.
>>
>>81150946
just wait like 6 months for the eventual renumbering
>>
>>81152684
Only a butthole would say something like that
>>
>>81153077
Welcome to 4chan
Nice dubs
>>
>>81152602
They expect you to already know a bit about the characters plus the #1 pretty much explains there current situation. If you wanted to read about a characters origin then you should stop reading work-for-hire/corporate owned comics and read some creator owned ones.
>>
>>81150946
>>81151086
Depends on your tastes. If you like campy silly superheroics (and don't mind a bit of text) then start with something from the 60s at #1, like Lee/Kirby Fantastic Four or Lee/Ditko Spider-Man. Or well Lee/Kirby Thor.
Otherwise, if you prefer longer story-arcs with more personal drama and arguably less heroics, something from the 80s on should work, look for runs of that era on comraderecs.

I'd honestly advise against picking up at one of the recent "reboots", not only is the quality lesser imo, they're only #1 in name and rely on previous continuity just as much as issue #159 of whatever classic comic, if not more.
Plus then you might get used to them and avoid older comics because they don't fit the style you're used to, and there's a much larger pool of good older comics than recent ones.
>>
>>81153466
>If you wanted to read about a characters origin then you should stop reading work-for-hire/corporate owned comics and read some creator owned ones.
Why? You can read corporate cape origins just fine if you're not a modern-whore.
>>
File: 1434131096550.jpg (39 KB, 500x460) Image search: [Google]
1434131096550.jpg
39 KB, 500x460
>>81153055
I love the idea of writers and distributors marking 'jumping off points'...

>Here's where to bail out and stop reading

Would be so convenient for when Bendis is about to take over your favourite book,

I do realize you mean jumping on
>>
>>81151086
>I would like to start where the story would start
That's kind of irrelevant in comics. The first 30 pr so years worth of Marvel comics were written so that every single issue would be a good starting point for someone picking up a comic for the first time or who might have missed an issue or two.
>>
>>81153538
Most people who ask "how do I get into comics" are that. Marvel and DC has gone to great lengths to get new readers even to the point of destroying some character's histories completely. If you can't get into comics even with the modern conveniences like wikis to help you then something is wrong with you.
>>
>>81153618
>Most people who ask "how do I get into comics" are that.
That seems like an unfounded assumption, especially for someone who specifically asks to read the story from the start like OP.
>Marvel and DC has gone to great lengths to get new readers even to the point of destroying some character's histories completely.
Meh, they certainly aren't as easy to get into for casuals as they were up until the 80s.
And they didn't destroy shit, your comics are still on your shelf unchanged and they even acknowledge the sliding timeline and retcons in universe. Stop taking canon so seriously.
>If you can't get into comics even with the modern conveniences like wikis to help you then something is wrong with you.
k. That seems like a healthy attitude towards newcomers.
>>
>>81153658
>especially for someone who specifically asks to read the story from the start like OP.
OP asks "I wanna get into Marvel comics. Where would you guys say is a good place to start?" Marvel Comics is not a single comic and if he wanted to "get into Marvel Comics" he should do at least do some research since these are characters with 50+ years of history behind them. Basically if you know a character just start reading his latest #1 like >>81152569 suggests. They do this for new readers.

>k. That seems like a healthy attitude towards newcomers.
I didn't have a ton of wikis help me to get into comics nor could I pirate comics so I'm sorry if I sound a bit annoyed with people who can't get into Marvel comics or that proclaim it overwhelming.
>>
>>81150946
name a character you're interested in, and someone can tell you a good jumping on point.

general word of advice is avoid most avengers books. Avengers is where good characters go to become bland and irrelevant
>>
OP, whatever you do, don't read Silver Age marvel.
I know it's influental and important but it's aged like milk. While I can read Silver Age DC with no problem, Lee's writing just makes me want to kill myself.
>>
>>81153983
>talking shit about silver age spidey
>>
>>81150946
Anything published before 1990. It's where the masterworks are.
>>
Read Annihilation.
>>
>>81153992
Silver age spidey isn't that bad.
It's actually one of the better books of that age along with FF.
Every other silver age marvel book that I've read is shit (Daredevil, The Avengers, X-Men)
>>
>>81154049
>Daredevil
Poor Colan was so wasted here.
>>
>>81150946
Fantastic Four vol.1 #1

As alternative, as weird it might seem, Thunderbolts Classics vol.1. Because its particular nature, it needs even less knowledge of the Marvel Universe then most other titles, and gives the reader all the needed backstory for the character while introducing them gradually to the larger Marvel Universe
>>
>>81154049
Yeah, Daredevil doesn't get good until the Bronze Age, but I think Silver Age Ant-Man is pretty decent. The hammy over-expository writing works better with the lighter tone.
>>
>>81150946
Anywhere, they relaunch from #1 every couple of months.
>>
>>81154066
(cont'd)

Otherwise, find a character whose look you like and read the most recent issue #1
>>
>>81150946
Waid's Daredevil or Fraction's Hawkeye.

They're both really accessible and good.
>>
Got two links for you OP.

This one has a lot of Thor but doesn't have volume 1 (the very first run of issues).
https://m.thepiratebay.se/torrent/6139599/Thor+Collection+by+mkkano+-+Version+1.2.1#comments

This has volume 1 and some more but has no seeders. Perhaps some anons would be willing to help you download it.
https://kat.cr/thor-collection-chaoshoffa-t8859471.html

Ain't much but hope it helps. What other characters are you interested in?
>>
>>81150946
>So I wanna get into Marvel comics
I would recommend against it.
>>
>>81154049
Kinda.

Silver Age Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, and Thor are superb, and benefit from Lee/Kirby or Lee/Ditko in Spidey's case.

X-Men, Avengers, and Daredevil didn't come into their own until Lee left them, I'll agree. There are issues in there that introduce important recurring elements, but the ones that don't aren't very memorable. I'm a fan of most Daredevil runs and X-Men from the 70s to about 2006ish, but the Silver Age really wasn't the best of times for either series.

Doctor Strange was a bit hit or miss for me up until the Marvel Premiere issues introducing Shuma Gorath, as well. The Eternity Saga in Strange Tales was great, and some of Doctor Strange v1 was interesting, but a lot of it was carried by the art and abstract settings. Which was likely the point of the series at the time.
>>
>>81153983
Silver Age Marvel is better than Silver Age DC by a wider margin. Stories are better crafted, dialogues are better (At least Lee elaborated what happened panel to panel instead of some silly 'HA! YOU DUN GOOFD' dialogue), stories in general are better, writing is better, art is better. Nearly EVERYTHING is better.

Addition to that, it has one of the best comic book runs in the medium.
>>
>>81154486
Nice company war, bro.
>>
>>81154521
It's not company war because I like DC better.
>>
>>81154547
>attacks DC
>says he loves DC
Like clockwork.
>>
>>81154557
>Attacks DC

I didn't even attack DC. I'm just saying that Silver Age Marvel is better. But it's just the only era they have been better than DC.
>>
>>81154601
>it's just the only era they have been better than DC.
>implying the Jim Shooter days weren't godly
So you're also a casual...
>>
>>81151086
>Also Thor always seemed cool
Read the god butcher and nothing written after that. EVER
>>
>>81154557
Nah dude, I'm a huge DC fan (Marvel these days is such garbage) and I'll admit that Silver Age DC isn't all that high-quality stuff; the stories just don't age that well.
DC during the Bronze Age and the 80's is fucking fantastic though, manages to blow Marvel out of the water while (temporarily at least) staying away from the excesses of that decade and tries some new genres and styles of comic that Marvel didn't touch.

Just because you like a company doesn't mean you have to like EVERYTHING a company has published; there's so much horseshit out there from Marvel AND DC over the years that I'll flatly say the vast majority of both of their mags I dislike.
>>
>>81154601
Bronze Age Marvel > Bronze Age DC
Silver Age DC > Silver Age Marvel

You don't get to dispute this. It's just fact.
>>
>>81154657
>>81154653
>Bronze Age
>Silver Age
Protip: both suck.
>>
>>81154615
Wrong on both accounts
>>
>>81154689
Hi Byrne, still buttblasted?
>>
>>81154708
More like I blast 12 years old ass-ted amirite xdddd
>>
>>81154725
>I blast 12 years old ass
Confirmed for Byrne.
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.