[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Billy and Mandy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 9
File: 1453405410769.png (118 KB, 495x359) Image search: [Google]
1453405410769.png
118 KB, 495x359
I know most of /co/ will disagree with me, but I liked the show better when it was darker, aka when it was "Grim and evil".

When it got turned its own show, it continued with the same dark humor it had in season 1, but starting around 2005, it started focusing on booger, fart, shit, gags, characters screaming constantly, and meme humor (Fred Fredburger, the word "yo momma" repeated over and over again, etc.).
>>
I think most people agree that Fred Fredburger was the death of the show.

I knew that even when I was watching as a kid.
>>
I can see what you mean but I kinda disagree to an extent. Did it have it's share of shit episodes, especially in latter seasons? Yes. But it also had loads of good ones that even it out. It didn't decline as many other shows did and do.

There's also limits to the dark stuff CN was willing to accept I bet.
>>
>>81070739
>Being a kid in 2006
>1998 was 18 years old
Fugg, i'm old

desu, he only appeared in like 3 episodes, but it feels like the whole show shifted its humor to that ADD retard style after he first appeared
>>
Rewatching some episodes from the mid seasons, it didn't age that well for me. I loved the shit of the show back then
>>
>>81070645
This is actually my opinion too. Grim & Evil era feels like a completely different, infinitely better show.
>>
>Foolish mortal! I don't think you know who I am let me give you a hint!

My favorite Grim line from season 1 I laughed when Grim actually put the fear of God into Gladys until Gladys became the ultra psycho she is now
>>
File: 31228712_p0.png (1 MB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
31228712_p0.png
1 MB, 1500x1500
>>81070645

>>81070645

I actually completely agree

I think the biggest reason for the shift is Gord Zajac leaving the show.

For those who don't know, Gord Zajac worked on the show from Season 1 up to the season with Wishbones on it. Here are some of the episodes he worked on:

>Son of Nergal
episode where Nergal kills everyone like in a horror movie
>The Halls of Time
episode where they break their hourglasses and die
>Five O Clock Shadows
episode where Mandy and Billy basically ruin everything
>Who Killed Who
episode with Ms Doolin
>The Really Old Couple
episode where Mandy buries Billy behind a brick wall
>Tastes like Chicken
episode where Mandy literally eats Irwin

He also worked on a little episode called Attack of the Clowns (alongside CH Greenblatt)

As you can probably guess, Zajac was responsible for most of the dark shit in the show. While there's a bit of dark stuff still left in the season afterwards, it's pretty much gone by the time Fred Fredburger is introduced.

I still think the show after his departure is decent, but it's very hit and miss. The show is pretty much carried by CH Greenblatt at that point (who put out amazing episodes like My Fair Mandy and Keeper of the Reaper. KotR is great, it's just Fred Fredburger gets completely overused afterwards).
>>
>>81075889

*Meant to say
>episode where Nergal Jr. kills everyone

Also didn't meant to quote twice
>>
The first two season were pretty good. After that the show got sillier and the writing a lot lamer. When BIlly and Mandy start wearing uniforms to school is the point the show jumps the shark.
>>
>>81075889
The first 3 you mentioned sucked and the last one you mentioned sucked.
Who Killed Who was good aside from the "Grrl power" subtext, which is forgiveable since Mandy is omnipotent anyway and I don't remember The Really Old Couple.
Attack of the Clowns was a fantastic episode though.
>>
>>81070645
The show stayed great solely because of Dracula
>>
>>81076019

Wasn't really talking about the quality as much as the dark stuff that OP mentioned
>>
>>81077929
Accidentally misquoted

Meant for >>81076972
>>
I remember CN once played a goofy light hearted later day Billy and Mandy and then the episode where Irwin graphically becomes a werewolf back to back and they were completely different shows

The last season or two of billy and mandy is almost entirely meta humor and really old pop culture references (Max took lines from talking heads records and plopped them into scripts)
>>
File: this is not my beautiful house.jpg (18 KB, 282x184) Image search: [Google]
this is not my beautiful house.jpg
18 KB, 282x184
>>81078026
More than just Once in a Lifetime?
>>
File: image.jpg (34 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
34 KB, 480x360
Billy's Dad is unironically one of my favorite cartoon characters ever
>>
>>81078269
AND THIS IS NOT MY BEAUTIFUL WIFE!
>>
>>81081387
SAME AS IT EVER WAS

SAME AS IT EVER WAS

SAME AS IT EVER WAS
>>
>>81078303
>Each character flashes back to the same scene of bigfoot stealing billy from a picnic.
>Harold's turn shows him dressing up as bigfoot behind a bush before jumping out.
He really was one of the best characters.
>>
Still miss this show. Were cartoons back then really better or am I just seeing shit through nostalgia goggles?
>>
>>81081691
What was that damn episode
>>
>>81081706
Here be dwarves.
>>
>>81070645
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpLRJyWe814
I love this song. It reminds me of an outer limits episode where the kid from jumanji finds a crashed alien ship and helps the alien.
>>
The only thing I constantly found funny were the sound effects.

The honking and the rattling sounds when something like a facial expression changed / grim sternly shakes his pointer finger always made me laugh

Were there any episodes that played off of the sound effects, or used them comically?
>>
>>81078303
I'M NOT DAD TONIGHT BILLY
>>
File: tumblr_inline_mrlh7uc0jt1qz4rgp.png (108 KB, 500x340) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_inline_mrlh7uc0jt1qz4rgp.png
108 KB, 500x340
>>81083261
I"M MOGAAAAAR!!
>>
File: mom.png (1 MB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
mom.png
1 MB, 1366x768
>that episode where a worm went into milkshake and he became a talking genius, then ate his mom on accident
>>
>rolling bone
>>
What was wrong with Billy's mom? was she retarded or what
>>
This thread reminded me, I like how in that episode where Nergal tries to gain friends by building a carnival ends with him turning everybody into mindless monsters.

The premise is so tame and yet it concludes with a sort of dark, creepy tone.
>>
Anyone else play the grim and evil game on cartoon network.com where you played as islands that shot at each other or something? Nostalgia
>>
>>81083702

Yeah I played it a couple of times.

I actually liked the dodgeball one where you had to hit Grim, and that one that was a platform and was based in the Halloween special.
>>
As someone who didn't watch much of this show, what are the best episodes?
>>
>>81083668
>mindless
would it quench my mind control fetish though
>>
>>81070739
But Keeper of the Reaper and Big Boogie Adventure were awesome.
>>
>>81077731
No, Dracula was one of the worst characters on the show. I hated every second he was on screen.
>>
>>81075889
>KotR is great, it's just Fred Fredburger gets completely overused afterwards)
Although he appears in Big Boogie Adventure & Underfist, the only other episode of the tv series that features him is Be A-Fred, Be Very A-Fred.
>>
Can someone please tell me how the outlines worked in this show? Why was it thick on the outer parts of the model? Did they double trace it for no reason?
>>
File: ack.png (570 KB, 547x425) Image search: [Google]
ack.png
570 KB, 547x425
>>81083505
>>
>>81083668
I almost forgot about the 4th wall jokes in this. That ending scares me to this day.
>>
File: doink.png (2 MB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
doink.png
2 MB, 1366x768
>I will now demonstrate how to talk to a tree
>NOW LISTEN UP YOU WORM EATING PUKE, DON'T GIVE ME ANY GUFF OR I'LL FEED YOU TO THE WOODCHIPPER
>wow!
>..So what did the tree say?
>...
>...
>bonk
>Trees don't talk!
>>
>>81085404
Watched that episode a couple weeks ago.

CAN CARTOON CHARACTERS NO LONGER SAY FRISBEE

REALLY
>>
>>81085404
>>81085604
What episode was that?
>>
>>81086004
Druid Where's My Car
>>
>>81074938
This.

I remember that scene so clear made me laugh like a hyena when I was younger.
>>
>>81087520
>Watching end credits.
>"Executive producer: Louis J. Cuck"
Oh wow.
>>
>>81081691
This is one of the greatest moments of the show

>Please pass the egg salad
>>
>>81087883
huh, I noticed that too on my first watch, but I only know him from a gravity falls episode, but I've obviously known him before without knowledge
>>
please pass the potato salad

>raggle fraggle

aaaahh, somebody help me!!!
>>
>>81075889
>>The Halls of Time

this was the best episode
>>
fred flinstone outlived everyone, wilma, barney, daphne, all of them died and he never saw them again

so sad
>>
This show was literally the worst for it's time.
>>
>>81091672
What'd you mean?
>>
>>81091672
>spit takes
>>
>>81088810

Like I said before about that Nergal's episode, I like how some of the episodes of S1 and S2 started with a silly premise and then it gradually escalated into something really dark.
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.