[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Intro to Shere Khan
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 217
Thread images: 31
File: Shere_Khan_Disney_Jungle_Book.jpg (32 KB, 280x214) Image search: [Google]
Shere_Khan_Disney_Jungle_Book.jpg
32 KB, 280x214
Elba is not a good fit, sounds too much street.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OD3CLzPER34
>>
I like it. Reminds me of Scar.
>>
>>81048652
But both George Sanders and Jeremy Irons have an air of posh around them when they speak, Elba doesn't. I really hope I'll like it in the movie though.
>>
>>81048652
wait for the Cumberbatch version I guess?
>>
It's not Elba, it's the direction. He tries to sound tough, Khan doesn't need to sound tough because he is tough. In the old movie he was super schmoozy and friendly all the time because the other animals were already scared of him as it was, he didn't need to threaten them.
>>
>>81048720
Fuck, that's a really good description.
>>
Kinda hard to live up to the classic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXjviLBYrS8
>>
>>81048720

This. I'm not liking Elba at all
>>
>>81048759
>>81048720

This is also why him playing Roland isn't going to work.
>>
So there are two Jungle Books movies coming. And I bet both ise only rhe Mowgli stories from the source material. How disappointing. Jungle Book is an anthology of stories. One of them takes place in the Arctic.
>>
File: 1458395225853.png (46 KB, 489x479) Image search: [Google]
1458395225853.png
46 KB, 489x479
I have a very worrying feeling this will be a "We get an all star cast but give them no direction" kind of movie.

A Doogal, if you will.
>>
This movie's gonna be...interesting.
>>
>>81048998

Walken as King Louie will either save this movie or slam the final nail in the shit coffin

The big question is "How bored will he sound." If the great king of the apes lurches into his temple as is like "Mancub... hello... a... pleasure to MEET you." I'm just gonna be fuckin done
>>
>>81049046

From the trailers I've seen him in it's basically exactly what you describe.
>>
>>81048834

This one's really more of a live action adaptation of the animated film. Hence King Louie being a character and Baloo being the dirty smelly hippie. And Kaa being, arguably, a villain. In the book he was more of a wise ally type.
>>
>>81048540
he sounds too "street"? he's fucking english you Knob! what street did he come from?
>>
>>81048540
>Elba is not a good fit, sounds too much street.

First, your grammar is improper. Second, you're the author of James Bond, aren't you?
>>
>>81049128

An English one.
>>
File: john and his fan.jpg (50 KB, 600x315) Image search: [Google]
john and his fan.jpg
50 KB, 600x315
>First people had issues with John Boyega as Finn before the movie even came out.
>Now this.

Don't you lot ever get tired of being wrong?
>>
>>81049128

>England is all delightful country villages
>>
>>81048540
>sounds too street
Stop this meme.
>>
File: scarkaa.jpg (423 KB, 612x918) Image search: [Google]
scarkaa.jpg
423 KB, 612x918
God I'm sorry but ScarJo sounds terrible as Kaa. There's a very fine line between "Genuinely pleasant sounding" and "Pleasant but clearly up to something" and she simply can't do the latter.

ScarJo's voice is not sinister yet alluring. It's just warm and pleasant. And to see it projected from a photorealistic giant Anaconda just feels wrong. Maybe this was the director's goal all along, but somehow I doubt it. The casting probably went as follows:

"What if Kaa was a GIRL!"
"BRILLIANT JENKINS! What actress increases profits the most?"
"Well we still have ScarJo locked into her 60 year contract deal."
"PERFECT!"
>>
>>81049157

I don't see what John has to do with this. Oh, it's because he's black, right? he just doesn't sound like a good fit. If you got James Earl Jones or Keith David it would be great
>>
>>81048798
He's a way better screen actor than voice actor.
Watch Luther he definitely can play Roland.
>>
Andy Serkis will save us.
>>
>>81049180
Say what you will about the mouse, they take care of their own. The director of the Muppets movies also got Alice in wonderland 2. Lupita Nyong'o next 3 movies are all Disney. Johnny Deep has been on their payroll for over a decade. And ever since Pulp Fiction, Samuel L Jackson has been able to come and go as he pleases from the House of Mouse. Now we got Scarjo.
>>
>>81049201
He did quite good as Chief Bogo.
>>
>>81049180
I think the big problem is that, even when I heard the trailer, I knew it was Scarjo.
>>
>>81048540
Elba could work, but those lines are godawful. The whole scene really. It's like something kids playing with action figures would come up with, but it's trying to play it all serious.
>>
Watching such realistic animal renderings speak is really jarring. I'm getting A Talking Cat?! vibes.
>>
>>81049308
I don't know. It seems like the kind of thing I'll get over in 10 minutes.
>>
>>81049192
Yes, actually. Because that's what most of the arguments against black actors come down to: that they're "too black" (or black at all).

Race is implicated as an issue first by the people who have a problem with them, not the people defending them.
>>
>>81049308
The closer we get to photoreal anthros, the better.
>>
>>81048540
When will Disney put some effort into their soundmixing so the animated character voice-overs stop sounding like studio recordings?
>>
>>81049180
But would it be a better Kaa than the previous live action Jungle Book where he is merely hungry neutral who kills and eats those who enters the treasure room?
>>
>>81049393

Well it looks like this is the case with new Kaa. It's clear Mowgli floats into her swamp and she tries to eat him.

Really this is all a criticism of the voice. ScarJo isn't even trying to do a voice of any sort. Hell she sounds bored.

Also I wonder if there will be a scene where Shere Khan threatens Kaa like in the original, because Kaa is HUGE in this. She could easily murder Shere Khan, especially if near water.
>>
>>81049157
What I don't get about Finn is why the fuck they didn't just let him have his accent.
>>
>>81049280
This.

The camera work is boring as fuck and there's no intensity. The body language of Khan is also very boring. He's just walking around, and as a matter of fact him talking just looks weird to me. his lips move but the rest doesn't really. Same for other animals.
>>
>>81049466
Because we already had one British sounding lead and they didn't need two. So presumably they told the better actor of the two, in this case John, and told him to do an American accent. He did a fantastic job with it too. My friend I saw TFA with didn't even know he was British until after the movie when I told him.
>>
>>81049180
>>81049393
Cate Blanchett's playing Kaa in WB's own mo-cap Jungle Book movie
>>
>>81049577
That movie is gonna bomb so bad. Did they learn nothing from Pan bombing for them last year?
>>
I wonder how many people are going to the movie just to see a little Indian boy in a loincloth?
>>
>>81048720
in other words he'd be the perfect fit for king louie?
>>
>>81049781
Less than you'd think, but more then I'd hope.
>>
>>81049452
The book adaptation is already out.

She only has one scene where she hypnotizes Mowgli and tries to eat him. Then King Louie comes along and beats the shit out of her.
>>
File: 1449412310028.jpg (453 KB, 891x882) Image search: [Google]
1449412310028.jpg
453 KB, 891x882
>>81049938

>Giant Orangutan vs Giant Anaconda

Okay, I'll admit I can get behind that
>>
>>81049325
>Race is implicated as an issue first by the people who have a problem with them, not the people defending them.

So much bullshit in one post. The reason Finn was black in the first place was because of the diversity quota.
>>
>>81050043
Do you even have any proof of that? And even if it was, so what? Boyega was fantastic. Many believe he's the best part of the movie. The man had to go through a 7 month audition process. Longer than any other person involved in the film. Because his part was essential. The glue that holds the movie together. His breakout role was Moses in Attack the Block from 5 years ago and it took that long for him to get another big role. And you can bet if her were another brown haired lily white actor, that audition process would have been halved and he would have already been in another mid size production before Force Awakens.
>>
>>81050111
>Do you even have any proof of that
All the concept art, even those in the advanced stages of production, showed Finn as a blonde, blue-eyed white male.

>And even if it was, so what?
So race was a factor for the director first, before any critic.

Pipe down Malcolm X, I don't care about his performance, Finn or not that movie is shit and was gonna be so the moment JJ sat on the chair.
>>
This is the most utterly unnecessary movie since Ice Age 4.
>>
>>81049263
He really did not. Not at all.
>>
>>81050189
What made Ice Age 3 more necessary than 4?
>>
>>81050166
Wow, early concept pictures. Because plans can't change if the right actor comes along. No, it had to be a nefarious plan to kill the white race, run the by the big jew JJ!
Michael B. Jordan as the Human Torch was a diversity hire. John Boyega as Finn was the right guy at the right time. He worked his ass off to get that role and it's unfair for you to try and undermine his efforts for reasons other than ones based on his performance.
>>
>>81050189tt
I agree. The fact that Disney feels the need to just rehash their old masterpieces into inferior 3D products speaks about the creative bankruptcy going on at the house of mouse.
>>
>>81050234
Not that guy but JJ has said that he wanted the movie to be diverse and since his concept art showed him as white wouldn't that make him a diversity hire?
>>
https://youtu.be/FOTZJ8EFgpk

Most underrated Disney song or MOST UNDERRATED FUCKIN DISNEY SONG?
>>
>>81050234
Calm down Johnny, like I said I'm not commenting on your performance but Finn wasn't gonna be white in any case, like he said:
>>81050270
And don't forget the upcoming gay characters too!
>>
>>81048540
I think the issue is that this film has some of the worst sound design I've ever heard.

It literally sounds like a couple actors talking in a room. There is no connect between the voice actors and what we see on screen. Look at Smaug from the Hobbit for a great bit of anthropomorphised dialogue and the compare it to this? It's laughable.

Again, Idris isn't the problem. Heinous sound design is.
>>
>>81049529
Probably the nicest thing I've heard about Boyega on 4chan ever.

He's based too. Actually went out and basically said, 'get shit done, niggers.'

Got a fuck ton of heat for it though.
>>
>>81050270
No, it means he wanted to the movie to be diverse. He never brings up a a particular role. Why is only Finn who is the diversity hire? Why not Poe or Maz Kanata, both played by non-white actors.And again, early concept art is just that, conceptual. White actors did try out for Finn, they just didn't get it.
>>
File: BAFTA.jpg (84 KB, 634x863) Image search: [Google]
BAFTA.jpg
84 KB, 634x863
>>81050329
Don't flatter yourself. John's a success. He wouldn't waste his time on this website arguing with you about his auditioning process that you only have 3rd person knowledge of from roaming on /tv/.
>>
>>81050377
>Why is only Finn who is the diversity hire? Why not Poe or Maz Kanata, both played by non-white actors

I didn't imply he was the only one, because he isn't. But the discussion was about him specifically, so he was the only one discussed.
Of course all of the good guys had to be some form of "minority", and that will go for the next movies too (the cast of Rogue-One and the supposed gay guy in the sequel).

>White actors did try out for Finn, they just didn't get it.

They never would have either way, not as the good guys.
>>
>>81049308

Zootopia did mouth movements on animal characters better than this to be honest.
>>
>>81050412
So you're basically saying you're a failure.
Cheer up boyo.
>>
>>81050166
Yeah the movie is shit, and the writing is shit too. Though Finn seemed the character more put down in the script than Rey did so its fair to say he's a better actor.

I'm a black Londoner too and I went to a school with a lot of actors. Let me say EVERY black guy I knew who wanted to act auditioned for Star Wars, it was a big thing. A friend of mine even got his hands on the script early because he got far in the process.

Now, diversity quota or not(I strongly disagree with quotas, for the record), I think Boyega earned his role through that audition process alone.

On a parting note, if you honestly think it matters that he's black, you're no better than the feminazi's and dindu's who forced Finn's shift into being black.

Identify with character, not race. If you can't handle it, write your own shit, same goes for black people who complain there aren't enough x, y or z protagonists in a, b or c media form.
>>
>>81048540
What a strangely muscular tiger
>>
>>81049970
fuck off, SyFy channel
>>
>>81048720
But you're wrong.

Shere Khan is a wimp. He's lame and is not terribly good at hunting. That's why he picks off cattle and the odd cowherd. And because of that he's constantly on the run from outraged villagers. He pretends to be tougher than he is. Shere Khan means King Lion, not anything to do with tigers, and everyone knows his name is really Lungri, the lame one. And he feels slighted by a little kid that he couldn't eat and hatches a ridiculous long con to kill him.

No director ever remembers any of this, and Khan is always presented as a beautiful, powerful killer. And he always is voiced as strong and powerful. Really, Khan should be thin and mangy and his voice should be a pretense to power he doesn't have, except for being a lame tiger is still better than being a strong most anything else. It should be clear he's a wimp. If I were casting him, I'd probably choose Kevin Costner.
>>
File: Muhface.png (332 KB, 455x290) Image search: [Google]
Muhface.png
332 KB, 455x290
Shere Khan is like "LOOK AT WHAT MAN DID TO MY FACE!" but really he doesn't look like he's in that bad shape. Bit of scarring on the nose and a fucked up eye but really is that so terrible?

If you're going to have an Ahab style "I hate this thing because it disfigured me" plot thread actually make it significant. Have Khan be missing half of his teeth or breathing problems. Something that would actually make his life difficult.

A tiger wouldn't fucking care about some scars.
>>
File: Compare.jpg (105 KB, 881x451) Image search: [Google]
Compare.jpg
105 KB, 881x451
>>81048834
>>81049082
There are two versions

The disney one which we are getting now, which is just a live action version of the animated Diseny one.

And then there is the Andy Serkis one, which I guess wants to be more like the book.
>>
File: 1452556565050.jpg (78 KB, 959x690) Image search: [Google]
1452556565050.jpg
78 KB, 959x690
>>81050591

How.. do you... Mocap a snake? Even facial features?

This has uncanny valley written all over it.
>>
>>81050572
His eye is white and glassy, that means it doesn't work anymore.
Losing an eye in the jungle would be a big deal.
>>
>>81050572
I dunno, maybe LOSING A FUCKING EYE is a big thing for a predator that kinda needs that depth perception.
>>
>>81050591
How do these double films keep happening?
There were two Hercules films recently, and I just laughed at the timing.
>>
>>81050487

That anon said only critics cared about his race, and I replied to him only to prove that it was a factor since the beginning of production. That's the only thing I wanted to argue.

>>81050548
This is the movie of the animated Disney movie, so Kahn isn't book Kahn here.
>>
>>81050572
you can barely see the scars among all the other shit on his face.
>>
>>81048998
> I wanna... be... like.... you... OOOH.... OOH.

> I wanna walk..... like... you.... talk.... like you.... OOOOOOOH.... OWWWOWW.
>>
>>81050572
Pride anon, and some people really care about their looks. Where they think a tiny scar ruins them forever.
>>
>>81050572
>but really he doesn't look like he's in that bad shape
How about i rough you up and leave you blind in one eye? Would you forgive me for it?
>>
>>81050111
>Do you even have any proof of that?

The director himself said that he realized this was an opportunity for him to bring on an actor of color to be a main cast member in a Star Wars movie.

>many consider him to be the best part of the movie

Proof now please. And if you resort to Linking opinion articles, try to avoid those that mention diversity
>>
>>81050674
In this case, it's because the right to the JB just went public.
Generally though, companies aren't above Asylum-style copycatting.
>>
>>81048540
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OD3CLzPER34

BTW I figured out why the voices sound so shit. It's the volume mixing more than anything. It has that "actors standing in a studio" effect because they didn't mix the voices correctly so that the further a character is from the viewer the softer their voice is. All of the characters sound like they're standing next to you no matter where they are in the scene.
>>
>>81049781
And honestly, this is a mistake. Mowgli is a complete innocent who has no memory of being human, vaguely grasps using tools, and can't count. Kipling makes a huge deal about Mowgli being nude in the jungle. Compare this to Burroughs, who can't wait to put a loincloth on Tarzan. Only director so far to show Mowgli naked was Chuck Jones, and then only as a baby. Jones swaps in Tarzan's panty raid to the story so he didn't have to draw a naked kid.

I've never seen a movie that really caught the Mowgli cycle well. Shere Khan is strong, Mowgli is clothed, everything ends with Mowgli entering the village the first time with the cute girl swapped in from the very end. No Buldeo, no letting in the jungle, no Khan telling his tale, no Red Dog. They Gould quit making Mowgli movies because they're not accurate and the story isn't really filmable. Yes, I'll probably see them both anyway.
>>
>>81050771
>>81050674
Also two movies at the same time is a hollywood tradition
>Deep Impact and Armageddon
>The already mentioned Hercules
>Olympus has fallen and white house down
>>
>>81050791
I always wonder how much of it is coincidence, and how much of it is, "They're making a _______ movie, let's make one ourselves!"
Wasn't that a thing with the animation industry for a while? Antz and A Bug Life comes to mind.
>>
>>81050591
Kaa being female in the other movie as well.

OK guys, what the fuck?
>>
>>81049046
He seems to be playing him like a mob boss in the trailers, which I like.
>>
>>81050842
A lot of the time the rival company happened to own an unused script that had been laying around for ages. so it's not so much 'let's make it ourselves' its 'if we don't make ours before our competitor makes theirs, the amount of money it could make will only go down'.

plus console wars have a knack of pressuring people who otherwise would have seen neither to pick a side, because people seem to love picking sides, so there's an element of gambling on brand loyalty involved
>>
>>81049180
I don't actually mind ScarJo as Kaa. I'm just waiting to see if Kaa is villainous in this or not.
>>
>>81050457
well that's not surprising, since Zootopia faces were more more anthropomorphic and expressive. this is weird because they're trying to emote with pretty realistic looking animals
>>
>>81051043

>I haven't killed a man... since 1984
>>
>>81050786
It'd be interesting to have seen Bill Peet's version of Jungle Book before Walt threw it out.

Blu-Ray has a newly boarded version of his third act's story treatment with Buldeo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UkZmQBXLh0
>>
>>81050572
So what you're getting at is that they turned Khan into Dr.Doom?

I see no issues here.
>>
>>81048540
My complaint is that he doesn't sound intense enough if this is the direction they're going. I get they tried to add something by including the tiger growl and stuff, but Elba sounded a lot more intense without that during his big speech in Pacific Rim.
>>
>>81049308
I really like how Japan handles talking animals. In Princess Mononoke, the animals are just acting like animals and the voice just comes from them. No lip/mouth movement tied to the words.
>>
>>81051592
But then how do they talk?
>>
>>81051529
It's because he doesn't move enough and the camera is a boring wide shot except when they focus on his face.

His expressions and gestures are too limited to convey anything. He doesn't have any enraged movement or anything. His voice is fine, but the mouth doesn't open wide enough, and his body doesn't convey the anger.
>>
File: laughing moro.gif (814 KB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
laughing moro.gif
814 KB, 300x225
>>81051592
They generally don't move, but they have some emotives.
>>81051685
The only animals that talk are of the spirit variety, so magic.They actually mention that some of the animals are growing dumb and losing their ability to speak.
>>
>>81051685
>>81051789
Yeah, like the animals are simply behaving like animals. So we read their emotions the same way you read your dog's emotions, body posturing. Then the words just come out of them. Surely Disney doesn't think audiences are too dumb to understand the animals are ventriloquists.
>>
>>81048540
I hate dub movies, but the dub for this one was GOAT, and they got the original voices for that, Im good with this
>>81048720
>Khan doesn't need to sound tough because he is tough. In the old movie he was super schmoozy and friendly all the time because the other animals were already scared of him
I have to agree with this
>>
>>81050591
The cast for the other one is superior.

Blanchett, Bale, Hollander, Serkis
>>
>>81050786
They can't show have a nude kid on screen the whole time. There are rules. Especially with a live actor involved.
>>
>>81049180

definitely if there is a casting choice that needed to be criticized it's this.

besides Tilda Swinton should have been Kaa.

I'm liking Elba's Shere Kahn, it's rather unique and feels like he's doing his own thing rather than emulating George Sanders or Tony Jay.

I think Benedict Cumberbatch will be more fitting though.

I still like the rest of the castings Disney has for this movie.
>>
>>81051291
>little kid killing Shere Khan with a boomstick
makes you wonder how many people would've died in the US had it been included
>>
>>81051592
The "animals" in Princess Mononoke were nature spirits, so they presumably spoke via telepathy.
>>
>>81051043
I like that aspect, too, but he sounds pretty bored.

>>81048540
>sounds too much street.
you're a fucking retard. it doesn't sound good, but that's not the problem.
>>
File: 1392092846316.png (55 KB, 209x213) Image search: [Google]
1392092846316.png
55 KB, 209x213
>>81052436

>Wanting more Bananapeel Crindlesniff

Most overrated actor in hollywood.
>>
>>81052903
Walken always sounds bored with everything. Fucking Batman Returns, he sounded bored.
>>
File: 1456629441503.jpg (4 KB, 203x173) Image search: [Google]
1456629441503.jpg
4 KB, 203x173
>>81048540
I thought this movie was going to be garbage, but this clip alone just sold it to me.

Damn.
>>
>>81052363
Exactly. That's why JB is unfilmable.
>>
File: 1458776938311.gif (2 MB, 230x250) Image search: [Google]
1458776938311.gif
2 MB, 230x250
>>81052436
>I think Benedict Cumberbatch will be more fitting though.

Just because he worked for Smaug doesn't mean he works for fucking Kaa.

Kaa is a snake. Kaa talks diminutively and seductively. Kaa makes you think he's your fucking friend. A super deep britbong accent that is always fucking ALWAYS portrayed as villainous isn't going to fucking say "I'm your friend, meager and humble", it's going to say "I could kill you RIGHT NOW but I'm feeling a bit whimsical tonight".

Disney may have gone too far with making Kaa villainous, but holy shit they at least nailed his fucking voice. Bendadick Cuminherbatch is literally a fucking cultural meme at this point, and a boring one at that.
>>
>>81052363
France has produced a couple of Kirikou movies that show him and all the village children nude, plus the women are topless. An English cartoon is unlikely though. Anglos are too priggish.
>>
>>81050572
It could be less about the injury itself and more how it happened.

Some pink, soft, hairless monkey did this. To him. To Shere fucking Khan.
>>
>>81051107
The adaptation has already been released.

[Spoiler]She is. She appears for one scene where she reveals Mowglis past to him in a hypnotic trance before trying to eat him. [/spoiler]
>>
>>81054157
He means Cumberbatch is better for Shere Khan, which is the role he's playing in the WB film.
>>
File: 6uJNu5I.gif (681 KB, 297x227) Image search: [Google]
6uJNu5I.gif
681 KB, 297x227
>>81054884
I'm an idiot, then. Apologies.

Yeah, he would work for Shere Khan a lot better, then.
>>
>>81054157
>>81054920

Yeah that's what I meant. Cumberbatch has a vibe in his voice that's more reminiscent of George Sanders and Tony Jay.
>>
>>81054966
The WB film is not a remake of the Disney film though.
>>
>>81055115
Yeah, but almost every American Jungle Book adaptation ends up being informed by the Disney version in some manner.

I mean, I fully expect Andy Serkis's Baloo to just be a more Haddock-y version of the lazy bum.
>>
>>81050777
The slapped in roars sound terrible as well. Not to mention how stiff the movement looks. It's not terrible, but it needs a lot of work to flow better.
>>
>>81048998
I was kind of hoping they were going to grab another singer for the part. Considering Louie was invented by Disney and was basically monkey Louis Prima, why not keep the characterization going?
>>
>>81053868
Same here man, The Jungle Book is one of my favorite movies and at first when I heard they were making a live action I immediately thought "It's going to be shit", and now color me surprised.
>>
File: 1436520376545.jpg (204 KB, 1200x792) Image search: [Google]
1436520376545.jpg
204 KB, 1200x792
>>81050513

That's what happens when a character gets BLACKED.

Michael Clarke Duncan was an unusually muscular Kingpin in the DD movie. Then they went back to a white guy for the TV show and the Kingpin was obese again.
>>
File: Shere_Khan_TaleSpin.png (1 MB, 896x670) Image search: [Google]
Shere_Khan_TaleSpin.png
1 MB, 896x670
if only tony jay were still alive
>>
File: 497807-kingpinasm163.jpg (44 KB, 451x321) Image search: [Google]
497807-kingpinasm163.jpg
44 KB, 451x321
>>81057568
Nice to see you are both racist and know nothing about Kingpin.
>>
>>81054529
A live action Jungle Book with a nude Mowgli is completely possible, but the only director who could get away with it is Jodorowsky. Imagine that movie.
>>
>>81058147
>nothing about Kingpin.
uwotm8?
Kingpin is supposed to look fat as shit. He may be pure muscle but he looks like he bathes in chocolate, its part of his thing. He looks like he can barely lift himself off the can but can smash you flat with no trouble is apart of his schtick.
>>
>>81049308
Tbh the CGI in this movie looks really off to me. Which is weird cause apparently Disney is supposed to be the top CGI place right now
>>
>>81049452
> acting like scarjo doesn't always sound bored
>>
>>81057754
They wouldn't have cast him for a movie this big.

Like an anon said earlier, the problem isn't Idris Elba, it's the direction.
And it's not necessarily bad, just different.
>>
>>81048720
This.
>>
>>81057754
Shere Khan in Talespin was pretty based for an antagonist
>>
>>81057754
my negro
>>
>>81048540
That was fucking good, get out of here.
>>
Honestly, i think a problem that arises a lot of times when live-action directors take on a film where you have to voice a lot of characters they tend to waste money by hiring live-action actors they know who are unexperienced in the field. Especially because you could just hire the big names under voice actors. Get Sam Witwer for Shere Khan for example.
>>
>>81065840
It was not.
>>
>>81068573
get the fuck out of here canadian
>>
>>81048540

That wolf's voice actor... why is he so familiar?
>>
>>81068898
How was it Bad?
>>
>>81074097
He sounds a lot like Bagheera.
>>
>>81065768
He was the epitomy of a villain in name only

A ruthless businessman but that's just because he's smart
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfoFXm1668A
>>
>>81074097
Gus from Breaking Bad.
>>
>>81049938
And thus begins a new generation of fetishists
>>
>>81050572
You know i think its because of the bad CGI and the scars blend i mean i literally did not make them out at first, but also the shit typical modern instagramish color degrading.

god whatever happened to shooting films ON FUCKING FILM?
>>
>>81050591
Oh, so they're finally bringing in Tabaqui. Okay, that's how I know this one's gonna try to base itself off the book more.
>>
>>81048998
>>81051043
wait so he isn't going to be a jazz singer?
fuck this shit i'm done, even female kaa can't save this movie.

will the beach boy vultures be in the fucking movie?
i demand music
>>
>>81049157
It's not his race, it's his acting.

He's a good actor and could be good, but the delivery they went with is off.
>>
File: Sensible Chuckle.gif (993 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
Sensible Chuckle.gif
993 KB, 250x250
>>81050543
>>
>>81074725
Who's gonna want to fap to a giant Orangutan beating the shit out of them?
>>
>>81048540
There's nothing street about this scene, or Elba himself.
It can be bad for other reasons that the actor being black, you know.
>>
>>81050572
>A tiger wouldn't fucking care about some scars.
A tiger also would speak English. It's not like this is a realistic story.
>>
>>81052709
What?
>>
>>81076423
...I thought they were just translating animal speak to English. Otherwise why would Mowgli English?
>>
>>81076531
Doesn't Mowgli talk to the girl at the end of the movie? I mean I guess they don't actually speak 'English' but still.
>>
>>81050591
Maybe parts of the book. I doubt there will ever be a really faithful adaptation. Not all of the stories are about Mowgli or even take place in India.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Jungle_Book
>>
It looks like they poured a lot of money not the CG and it looks great, but something about it feels really off.
The animals are so realistic, but real animals don't have expression or emotion on their faces. The nice thing about animation is that it allows you to characterize animals and give them emotion, so you're essentially writing humans with animals. With realistic CG, I just don't understand the point.
>>
They put so much effort into making all the animals look dirty and gritty, but look at that little boy, doing little boy things, raised by wolves, in the middle of a jungle, looking like he came straight out of the spa.
>>
>>81057754
God so many why boners to this version.....
>>
>>81050548

No one gives a shit about the book.

In the animated movie Shere Kahn gives the fucking elephants pause. I don't see you getting all bootyblasted when Mogli doesn't have the animals crush the village after a jealous hunter accuses his adopted parents of witchcraft.
>>
>>81077825
The book is better than the movie, Disney a shit.
>>
>>81077875

Where did I say it wasn't? I just said no one gives a shit.
>>
>>81077825
To be fair, I'm not sure many people care much more about a 50 year old movie.
>>
File: 1385953172789.gif (473 KB, 500x361) Image search: [Google]
1385953172789.gif
473 KB, 500x361
>>81077894
>To be fair, I'm not sure many people care much more about a 50 year old movie.
>every trailer points out it's the movie version of the animated "classic"

ok
>>
>>81077825
>no one gives a shit about the book
I give a shit about the book
>>
I want this movie to fail mostly out of hope it'll kill every last vestige of female Kaa intruding every fucking time I look for new content of my fetish
>>
>>81078202
but you arent making the movie so it still doesnt fucking matter
>>
>>81077948
Yeah, just like every trailer of the original movie points out that it was the animated version of a literary "classic." Notoriety != familiarity. Sorry to break it to you, but your nostalgia is now irrelevant to modern audiences. They know the name, they know the one song, they don't give two shits about the portrayal of the characters.
>>
>>81078202

They aren't making this movie for the 8 fans of the original book. They are making this movie for all the 30-40 year old parents or 60-70 year old grandparents to take their 10 year old children to. Because that's what they did 50ish years ago when they went to see the original bastardization.
>>
>>81078299

And? I'm one of the nobodies who prefers the book, but Disney isn't going to make a faithful remake to it.

If they really, honestly, truly that the nostalgia factor only applied to the name and one song, they would just shit out a sequel or reimagining rather than what seems to be a fairly accurate remake.

They of course being people who spend way, way more time doing actual research and testing than some retard assgaped that Shere Kahn isn't a white lion with a gimp leg.

That person being you.
>>
>>81049501
It's bizarre that it's all CGI because the movements look like flapping mouths to live action tigers because there's no fucking body language at all, not even head movements. This entire clip was entirely boring, when (I'm assuming) should be an incredibly tense moment.
>>
>>81050301
This song only works because of how ridiculously charming Louie Prima is.
>>
File: 43534663.png (222 KB, 800x513) Image search: [Google]
43534663.png
222 KB, 800x513
>>81077825
>not liking Kotik

He was in the book. And everything's better with seals.
>>
>>81048540
Im wondering how Shere Khan is going to threaten Kaa seeing as how Kaa is the size of a tree
>>
>>81078486
Too bad (s)he's a villain here too. Kaa was actually one of the first positive reptilian characters in western fiction.
>>
>>81074442
>when you update it you have to have a reason for it
>SO WE MAKIN PHOTOREALISTIC ANIMALS

Yeah cuz that's so expressive and memorable.

>have them play as if they were in the movie
>they're facing a microphone
>>
File: Bright Eyes.png (2 MB, 872x932) Image search: [Google]
Bright Eyes.png
2 MB, 872x932
>>81048998
Why do they always give MoCap apes human eyes with white sclera and non-brown irises?
>>
Here's hoping the new movie has plenty of footservice.
>>
>>81049180

The original Kaa used the exact same tone and inflection as Winnie the Pooh

ScarJo will be fine
>>
>>81080403
it was the same voice actor that did winnie the pooh
>>
>>81050704
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQ7z57qrZU8
>>
>>81079425
I don't know, but it makes them uncanny as fuck.
>>
>>81080411
Sterling Holloway did a ton of Disney shit. He's the stork that delivers Dumbo, and the rat that hangs out with the Aristocats. He's in Alice but I can't remember who.
>>
>>81083211
Chesire Cat.
>>
File: 2545.jpg (24 KB, 720x576) Image search: [Google]
2545.jpg
24 KB, 720x576
>>81083211
>He's in Alice but I can't remember who.
>>
File: 1438483952758.jpg (183 KB, 1062x1062) Image search: [Google]
1438483952758.jpg
183 KB, 1062x1062
>>81074442

God I hate these behind the scenes featurettes. They're so far up their own ass it makes me roll my eyes. And that's when they aren't straight up lying
>>
>>81076596
They don't speak at all at the end of the film.
>>
Wow they made Kaa huge. How is 'she" supposed to fear Shere Khan now? He can pretty much eat him too
>>
>>81077825
Then you didn't read the thread. I specifically said I want to see Mowgli let in the jungle and fight the red dogs.

This is Disney's fifth take on the Jungle Books, plus the other one this year, and Korda's live action one, and Chuck Jones' specials that did Kotik and Rikki Tikki Tavi too, and a Russian TV show, and a Japanese one, and nobody ever comes close to the book. Just once, guys, give me a faithful adaptation.
>>
>>81083406

Earlier in the thread someone mentioned that in the novelization she gets her ass kicked by giant King Louie, though I doubt that.

It looks like Louie is too physically large to leave the temple, and I hope that's the case because there's something really neat about that.

Like this Orangutan forced the other apes to bring him fruit all day and he got so fat he literally can't fit through the door
>>
>>81083223
>>81083233

Thanks, I was trying to make him be the rabbit and I knew that was wrong.
>>
>>81048998
Curious to see it, but louis was kind of perfect as he was.
Will probably feel wrong just like shere khan.
>>
>>81083433
>tfw Mowgli points this out with his human intelligence, and finally all the apes realize they can just leave King Louie behind, because he's not a threat to them if they're not in the same room.

I mean it won't happen, because between Star Wars, Star Trek, Robocop and every other reboot it's been made clear that no one knows how to make a movie feel like the original anymore, but that would be pretty damn good if it did happen.
>>
>>81083433
He's the last Gigantopithecus in this movie.
>>
>>81083946
He might be since Orangutans don't live in India. That's why he's not from the book.
>>
>>81048720
This, a tiger doesn't need to act tough because it is the apex predator of its environment. He should be naturally confident, not have to act that way
>>
>>81079425
They underestimate audience's ability to sympathize with an animal vs human character. The human sclera is really an effort to make the characters more "human" toward the audiences.
>>
>>81050548
So...Scar?
>>
The casting in this movie could go either way for me. Like it has the potential to be great or to be awful, besides Ben Kingsley who feels like a great choice and Scarlett who gives me a really meh vibe
>>
>>81084045
That's not even a guess, being a Gigantopithecus comes straight from the director's mouth.
>>
>>81084237

Source?
>>
>>81084326
>>81084237

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/jon-favreau-breaks-down-disneys-live-action-129130133927.html

Well look at that. Neat.
>>
>>81084326
https://www.yahoo.com/movies/jon-favreau-breaks-down-disneys-live-action-129130133927.html
>>
File: 1434463090034.gif (978 KB, 350x197) Image search: [Google]
1434463090034.gif
978 KB, 350x197
>Female reptiles are usually larger and more aggressive than their male counterparts.
>Lady Kaa is fucking massive compared to original male Kaa

Neat
>>
File: 1458344141133.gif (987 KB, 500x269) Image search: [Google]
1458344141133.gif
987 KB, 500x269
>>81084507
>Kaa still won't be Mowgli's friend/teacher like in the book
>we could have had an older female snake teaching Mowgli and playing with him
>we could have had hi/ss/ing, but just got more vore/hypno pandering
>>
>>81084507
Fuck me. I keep meaning to watch the thing that pic is from and keep forgetting to.
Could you give me the title, Anon?
>>
>>81084786

>Hey kid wanna /SSssssssssss/
>>
>/co/umblr calling peoples hatred of Elba "Racist"

l-lol
>>
This movie makes me want a Fables movie. Sher Khan was in that comic too right?
>>
>>81085136

I think he was in the Farm Rebellion arc. Tried to kill snow if I recall
>>
>>81049128
He came from a grimy London street.
>>
>>81048540
Not bad, but doesn't rub me the right way.

I'm probably just too nostalgic for the casual menace of the old film.
>>
>>81052927
I fucking hate him. Over-rated, overpaid, overexposed knobend who only gets far because of his Fabian society connection.
>>
File: 1456788331285.png (338 KB, 500x521) Image search: [Google]
1456788331285.png
338 KB, 500x521
>>81085047
Greentext [X]
Tumblr reference [X]
Inappropriate use of quotation marks [X]
Stuttering for effect [X]

K-K-Killer Kombo!
Now you're memeing with gas!
>>
>>81085202
Pretty sure flycatcher brought him back to life to
>>
>>81085136
I always loved old Mowgli in those, how he basically became a king of the hunt in modern mans world. His fight with the wolves to prove himself, how he equates knives with claws. The little things (also gay for sexy asian boys so that doesn't hurt)
>>
It annoys me how much he slurs his speech so much, I didn't really like him as Bogo either.
Thread replies: 217
Thread images: 31

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.