[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Will it be good?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 7
File: Doctor-Strange-logo-636x337.jpg (25 KB, 636x337) Image search: [Google]
Doctor-Strange-logo-636x337.jpg
25 KB, 636x337
Will it be good?
>>
>>81043046
>not even out
>no trailers
NIGGA WHY THE FUCK YOU ASKIN THIS QUESTION
>>
I hope so. I also hope it's magic and not "We're not Gods" science.
>>
I really want it to be good.

Then again, it's from from director Scott Derrickson, who hasn't had the best track record. Then again, Jon Spaihts and C Robert Cargill are good writers (bad parts of their films were out of their control), so it could go either way.
>>
>>81043046
I'm cautiously optimistic.

Scott Derrickson doesn't exactly have the best track record.
>>
>>81043046
I think so, but it's directed by Scott Derrickson, who's not exactly a track star.
>>
I don't watch horror movies so I don't know what to expect from Derrickson, but my understanding is that his writing is garbage and he's not credited as writing Strange so that's atleast one bullet dodged.
>>
>>81043286
Derrickson may find this is his metier. It may be the thing that brings out his talents and gives him focus.
>>
>>81043046
at worst it'll be average like ant-man or thor

at best it'll be the best movie that has ever or will ever be made
>>
At a guess perhaps between Ants and Guardians?
>>
>>81043046
I dunno. I think the visuals will be neat at least. It's kinda weird that we haven't seen any footage, no?
>>
>>81043046
From the screenwriter who brought you...
>>
>>81043286
Neither were the Russos. So I'll keep an open mind.
>>
>>81044144
>It's kinda weird that we haven't seen any footage, no?
No, you dummies ask this every movie. Marvel doesn't release shit until ~6 months out, because they don't have to anymore.

The first Civil War trailer was 3 months ago, and it comes out in less than 2.
>>
>>81044144
November release, what's the usual first trailer for Marvel's movies been beforehand? plus this one must have a ton more CG to do.
>>
>Bumpleding Cessington is the lead
>not Hugh Laurie

It's gonna be shite, m8.
>>
It has the infrastructure of what, 12 marvel movies behind it now? It'll be made with competency, at worst it's a thor 2.
>>
>>81043046
>Disney's Marvel
>not DC

It will be amazing
>>
>>81043046
>bendmydick cuminsnatch
>>
>>81044333
I think Thor 2 is specifically what they want it to be better than
>>
>>81044057
So between shit and great?
>>
>>81044144

A lot of this movie will be sold on its magic so it kind of makes sense they'd wait for a lot of post production polish before showing off any footage, especially since people will be wanting to see something shiny.

Anyway, there really hasn't been a good time to release a trailer for it this year. January had the DC special with suicide squad, multiple BvS trailers and its release, Deadpool and of course Civil War. I think there'll be something attached to Civil War for it if there's no Rogue One teaser
>>
>>81043046
I'll have to wait and see what Rotten Tomatoes says before I can form my opinion.
>>
>>81043046
Can't be worse than BvS

>>81044552
Salty
>>
>>81044552
Salt mine.
>>
> Mads probably playing Belasco who maybe becomes The Other, or is revealed to be Dormammu's bitch.

> Chthon and Shuma IMHO probably most likely culprits behind the breakaway sorcerer sect. Shuma we know kills the Ancient One in the comics and Chthon has his Wanda-lust.
I think those two are more likely than Dormammu, but he might pop up or get mentions.

> Hey, imagine these wonky sect sorcerers try to use Chaos Magic and literally explode darkly funny shit.

> Mordo a good guy but we see him start to lose his moral compass as the story unfolds.

> Wong will be the movie's resident quipper.
>>
>>81044195
I liked that movie, well, the premise at least.
>>
>>81044195
Actually, those two writers (Thomas Dean Donnely and Joshua Oppenheimer) only wrote the first draft of Doctor Strange's script. Jon Spaihts and C Robert Cargill are the two credited main writers, meaning it was heavily rewritten.
>>
Doesnt really matter since Cumbersnooches is in it, his face brings mediocrity.

One of my favorite people in Marvel and they pick the most basic actor to play him. It is pretty interesting that mads will be in it, but they'll probably just kill him like they do every other good actor villian.
>>
>>81045114
>I don't go to the theatre
>>
>>81045166
I dont really understand what youre trying to say.
>>
>>81043170
>>81043286
>>81043286
Most Marvel directors are yes-men, the only movies where a director's definitive "style" showed through was Whedon (for better or worse) and Shane Black.

He's prob just a guy who won't get in the way. I'd say the movie will be pretty good.
>>
>>81046011
>"style"
>Not mentioning Russos or Gunn
>>
It's too soon to tell, but I hope so.

What are you guys hoping will be in the movie?
>>
>>81043046
Paid RT confirms it
>>
Just like Will Smith ruined Suicide Squad, Mr Cucumbersnatch has ruined this.
>>
>>81046011
>Implying James Gunn's style isn't all over the place in GotG
>implying, if you've seen any of the few action-heavy episodes of Community, their usage of fighting and love of The Raid/action movies isn't in the forefront of TWS
>implying, even though it's really sort of a detriment, that Avengers is Whedon-incarnate
>>
>>81050769
The dark dimention and some serious spellcasting.
and for strange to name the spells as he uses them
>>
>>81051161

I kinda hope the spells are color coded to his patrons. Spells invoking Hoggoth are blue, Oshtur's are green, Agamotto's are orange, Cytorrak's are red, etc, etc.

It'd be a neat was to have him do verbal invocations some of the time, but even when he doesn't you can still visually identify what kind of spell he's casting.
>>
If I hear just one BY THE HOARY HOSTS OF HOGGOTH, the movie is at minimum an 8/10
>>
>>81051161

Well, congrats, they already confirmed both of those.

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/12/29/doctor-strange-benedict-cumberbatch-powers

>“He can do a whole host of things, eventually,” explains Feige, who is also the producer of Doctor Strange. “He does cast spells, which in the comics have very sort of tongue-twisty fun names. We don’t want to shy away from that, because that’s what makes Doctor Strange Doctor Strange. [...] He can create these mandalas of light that he can use as shields and he can use as sort of weapons. He can create portalas that will open before your eyes that he can step through and go to other places around the world. And frankly, even in this film, we’ll only touch upon what a lot of his powers are.”

http://comicbook.com/2016/01/06/marvels-doctor-strange-will-travel-to-the-dark-dimension/

>"We see glimpses of something called the Dark Dimension," Feige said, but don't let the name mislead you. "If you were to open a Doctor Strange comic drawn by Steve Ditko, you would see the Dark Dimension, is in fact, very colorful in an extremely psychedelic way. Those are the things we're not shying away from."
>>
>>81051227

What if we also get a CRIMSON BANDS OF CYTORRAK?
>>
>>81043105
They said they are keeping the tounge twisters.

and also that they are doing Dikto acid style eith modern cgi tech
>>
My question is, is how powerful will Strange be? This is a guy who could blow up planets and stars back in his heyday. I'm guessing the movie won't have him at that level, but he's still probably going to be one of the most powerful heroes in the MCU. Flight, long distance teleportation, energy shields and blasts, moving between dimensions, limited time control, probably astral projection as well...

It'll be a little refreshing to have a hero who doesn't just punch things.
>>
>>81051839
have they said if the whole thing is his origin story? or if there's just a prologue about how he encountered The Ancient One then a timeskip and everything else is after he's become Sorcerer Supreme?
>>
I wonder when we'll get a trailer. The weird CGI in this should the be the main draw, there won't be a lot of 'action scenes' of people running or jumping to put in the trailer. So it has to show up a bit AND be almost finished, too (the trailer parts only, obviously).

After Thor 2 funeral, GotG hallucination and Ant-Man's microverse, I'm confident in their ability to pull off trippy background shit.
>>
>>81051839
Putting aside that this will need to be an origin story and the effect things like that have on power level, look at the current Dr. Strange under Aaron. Strange is implied to be extremely powerful (most everyone respects his role as Sorcerer Supreme), but the cost of magic is heavily emphasized at every turn.

Every spell has a cost, and it's implied by a certain revelation that Strange would have been killed or made invalid by the need to "pay" that cost if not for some secret workings by his guy Wong.

And in this run he's as much a magical troubleshooter as anything else. He walks around and fights fires or astral monsters no one else can see, which makes him look like a subway hobo to normal people at times. The fighting is messy, hectic, and sometimes slapstick.

As for power levels themselves, he's been a bit more "street level" in the way he goes about things, but i think it's more a stylistic choice in the way Aaron and bachalo represent the wielding of magic as very chaotic and unpredictable, rather than just another flavor of "energy hands".
>>
>>81043046
It will be Ant-Man on Acid.
>>
>>81052065
Magic doesn't need to be very powerful on a powerlevel grid. It just needs to be diverse and creative for him to beat the demons with strategy. Just two seeing lightbeams aimed at eachother and see the midsection go back and forth is boring.

Dr. Strange's powers need to be broken in a way, but not necessarily high DPS.
>>
>>81051889

Feige has been coy about it. He's said their doing the origin story, but not how or in what context.

The basic impression I get, based on the casting of a number of doctor characters, is that we'll get Strange being an asshole in NY before he has his accident, with some of his fellow doctors hating him and some wondering how he became such a prick when he used to be a good man. Then he'll have his accident and go East. We'll get some of his quest to find the Ancient One, some of his training, and then he'll get wrapped up in a bunch of sorcerer's politics involving a rift between The Ancient One and Mads Mikkelsen. This will presumably lead him back to New York (previous concept art shown at cons seems to confirm a big set piece there and we know he has his Sanctum Sanctorum) as a fully fledged sorcerer, where he will meet his cormer colleagues and some of the doctors will still hate him but Rachel McAdams will notice how much he's changed and get dragged into his plot. The final act will presumably involve Strange stopping Mikkelsen's big plan, which probably involves stealing the Eye of Agamotto.

The question is if they'll do this linearly. They might not.
>>
>>81052139
Well, Derrickson does horror, which means the magic could look properly occult and weird if Marvel gives him leeway to do so, and if the film takes at all from the presentation and tone of the current Aaron run we may see a more "exotic" look for at least some of the magic at play, rather than say the 'bullets from wands" representation of combat magic from the harry potter movies
>>
>>81052272
>due to magic time fuckery, Strange himself doesn't experience these events linearly either
>>
>>81052345
>The Momento of MCU
>>
File: Arcane Combat.jpg (204 KB, 1000x721) Image search: [Google]
Arcane Combat.jpg
204 KB, 1000x721
>>81052065

Speaking as a big Dr. Strange fan, the way Aaron and Bachalo have showcased strange's magic has been one of the big downsides for me. It's too much of "Strange summons an axe, hits the monster with the axe." I'd much prefer crazy Ditko-esque combinations of teleporting, energy shields, astral projecting, and so forth.
>>
>>81052291

Feige has said that just because Derrickson is good with horror doesn't mean you should expect a Dr. Strange movie with that tone.

http://www.ecumenicalnews.com/article/doctor-strange-news-movie-isnt-horror-as-opposed-to-rumors/39649.htm
>>
File: image.jpg (29 KB, 500x449) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
29 KB, 500x449
>>81051274
That sounds so fucking dope
BvS hurt me but I'm ready to hype again
>>
All I want is this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDMNsbSIc2o
Strange jumping and walking and non-euclidian travelling through the weird shit in the background at 1:00.
>>
Strange will probably be the new leaders of the Avengers right?
Or maybe they'll do Carol
Either way there's so much more they can do action-wise with them
>>
>>81052578

It's gonna be a weird world to live in if Doctor Strange gets a better reception than a movie starring both Batman and Superman.
>>
>>81052382
I can never got over how oldschool Dormmammu and Human Torch look like they're wearing red ski masks
>>
>>81052619
I think I read somewhere Cumberbatch and Rudd have signed on to Captain Marvel. Given it's position in the schedule, I assume she's in IW1, the avengers are beat. She gets bedridden, and comes back with a new team to rescue the original in IW2.

Her movie is her learning her powers and gathering extra players on earth for the big battle at the end.
>>
>>81043046
Not worse than BvS, that's for sure,
>>
>>81052610
>the light coming out of Rocket's mouth
I laughed hard when that happened the first time.
>>
>>81052621
It's already weird that a raccoon and a tree are
>>
>>81052666

Yeah, it's a little weird. There was a Roy Thomas comic in the late 80s/early 90s that took it even weirder, with Dormammu's head looking like a striped jack o'lantern.
>>
>>81043046
It's MCU and it's based on the MCU's version of "magic", so of course it won't. It'll be just another Thor.
>>
>>81052726
Literally deconfirmed in this thread.
>>
>>81052666
>>81052717

Really makes you wonder how they might do him in live action.
>>
>>81052701
Yeah, I kekd too.

>>81052726
After Harry Potter flashy bullets and LotR's nothingness (I know that was the whole point), I'm honestly excited for some ditko magic.
>>
>>81052621
No, it won't, as we've seen if you use more obscure characters you can characterize them however you want and set the tone of the film however you want without worrying about critics doing the whole "NOT MUH" thing
>>
>>81052619
nah, after Infinity Wars its avengers disassembled time. if the stars align we might get a Midnight Sons movie alongside a Thunderbolts movie as a way for Marvel to introduce a bunch of new characters and see who is well received enough to get a solo film
>>
>>81052803
I would like it to be a mix, if possible. Ditko magic for fights, weird occult stuff for "rituals". There's room for both.

For what it's worth, I did like the Harry Potter flashy bullets. It felt right for the setting and had a cool contrast between dueling, where they fought like the wands were fencing foils, and the bigger endgame battles that were more like an IRL warzone with curses having the same impact as a bullet on stone and throwing up dust etc.

Obviously Dr. Strange should go for its own look, however that ends up, but the way harry potter did it worked for those films.
>>
>>81043046
I hope so but shit we haven't even seen any trailers so who knows
>>
File: Strange vs Dormammu.jpg (922 KB, 2050x1076) Image search: [Google]
Strange vs Dormammu.jpg
922 KB, 2050x1076
>>81052803
>After Harry Potter flashy bullets and LotR's nothingness (I know that was the whole point), I'm honestly excited for some ditko magic.

Spells and counterspells!

Though I hope they're a little more creative than just the fighters alternating between shields and blasts. I'm hoping we get to see some neat stuff with sorcerers using teleportating and portals during their fights, or trying to imprison each other with bands or spheres of energy. And even with the shields/blasts I hope they get inventive. Shields cracking apart like glass under sustained pressure energy beams displaying a mind of their own as they try to worm their way around a sorcerer's defenses, branching off as they try to slip around shields necessitating the creation of more shields resulting in more branching...

The mechanics should be fairly straightforward, but then get combined in various and interesting ways.
>>
>>81053000
Yeah, I liked Harry Potter's stuff. Felt right with the whole gothic setting they were going for.

I would also just like for each magic universe to have different looks instead of a homogenized one like most mid-range space sci-fi.

Mixing ditko light-magic with ritual-based dark magic would be a simple way to go, even if you don't outright call them light and dark, and keep it open for more forms.

>>81053067
Exactly.
>>
>>81053067

If they do use a lot of magical energy beams and the like, keeping them color-coded ala >>81051161 might be helpful. It would provide an instant visual shorthand to the audience, so they could more easily keep track of the stakes in a given battle.
>>
>>81053067

I'd also like to see Strange make good use of his illusion spells. Give us the images of Ikonn!
>>
File: Ditko.jpg (191 KB, 900x688) Image search: [Google]
Ditko.jpg
191 KB, 900x688
How do you think they'll make the different dimensions stand out from each other?
>>
Didn't they say we'll be seeing more weird stuff similar to the quantum realm scene in Antman?
>>
File: doctor-strange-image[1].jpg (335 KB, 612x459) Image search: [Google]
doctor-strange-image[1].jpg
335 KB, 612x459
>>81056134

Yeah, they did. Also, they released this still from the movie. We'll definitely be seeing some trippy environments, especially since Feige has said a big part of the movie's plot involves traveling between different dimensions.

So far only the Dark Dimension is confirmed, but the Astral Plane is also likely.
>>
>>81044195
Wrong screenwriters fuckwad
Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.