[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When and why did DC writers stop writing Clark Kent as a wimpy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 3
File: images (26).jpg (14 KB, 322x457) Image search: [Google]
images (26).jpg
14 KB, 322x457
When and why did DC writers stop writing Clark Kent as a wimpy nerd and began to portray him as just a normal guy?
>>
>>81036858
when he married Louise Lane
>>
The Donner version is the only Clark that acts like this.
>>
No fun allowed, which means no creativity either.
>>
>>81036858

Byrne era-ish

Silver Age Clark Kent went from a bumbling goof to a sexual sex machine depending on the scene
>>
>>81038544
I feel that was the best "Clark disguise".
>>
>>81036858
Normal guys are wimpy nerds, OP.
>>
>>81036858

To increase relatability he needs to be invested in his life. And that means acting like himself not an annoying clown.
>>
>>81039148

It was shit, because Clark isn't a disguise.
>>
Because it makes that retarded speech Bill gave correct.
>>
>>81036858
Because normal men today are wimpy girls.
>>
>>81039328
Clark is a disguise in that version.

I prefer the 'Lois and Clark' characterization of Clark Kent; Superman is just what he can do. Clark still a square from Smallville but he isn't portrayed as a hopeless goof.
>>
>>81038544
>I haven't really read silver age comics but I'll try to act like I know all about Superman
>>
>>81039328
>I haven't read Grant Morrison, Mark Waid or pre crisis comics but I know all about Superman
>>
>>81036858
when Byrne raped Superman mythos.
>>
File: 1986 - John Byrne - Superman.jpg (558 KB, 934x1387) Image search: [Google]
1986 - John Byrne - Superman.jpg
558 KB, 934x1387
John Bryne's post-crisis reboot.
Pre-crisis, Superman was basically an alien pretending to be human. "Clark" is an act, while Superman is who he really is. Post-crisis, Byrne figured that if Clark was raised by the Kents from basically birth, he would consider himself human, not kryptonian. Byrne flipped the formula, making Clark Superman's true identity, while Superman is a persona he dons to save people without sacrificing his private life.

There's really nothing wrong with either interpretation, they're both valid. Though I've always been more a fan of Clark being human myself.
>>
>>81041801
Morrison and Waid both go with the modern interpretation though
>>
>>81042054
The Man of Steel is the Holy Bible of Superman and anything that contradicts it either unenlightened scribbles of cavemen or outright heresy
>>
>>81042128
>What is All Star and Birthright?
>>
>>81042155
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not but I unironically agree either way.
>>
>>81042054
His interpretation is wrong though. Only reason it's given credence is because it stayed. You don't need to make Superman human to show his humanity.
>>
>>81042354
Next you'll say that Lex was better as a generic mad scientist.

Go back to bed, gramps.
>>
>>81038544
Clark acts like this all the way back from action comics 1

John Byrne's 1986 reboot had a serious clark
>>
>>81042395
Superman needs to be above humanity to give them an idea to aspire to. The Silver Age and Morrison understood this. Focusing on the "Clark" disguise just makes him as mundane ands any other hero.
>>
>>81042207
Yes, both of those emphasize the importance of his upbringing in Smallville and show him as a normal dude when he's there. Are you just memeing now?
>>
>>81042451
Superman isn't above humanity, Superman IS humanity. He's the best of us. He's what we could be, and will be, someday. He's the Man of Tomorrow.

I find Superman much more inspirational when he's an everyman that just happened to win the genetic lottery and ultimately chose to do the right thing. The idea that the only thing that separates Superman from us is his powers, that if any one of us was born with Superman's gifts, we would potentially do the same thing he does. That's an extremely optimistic viewpoint of humanity, which fits the message of Superman perfectly.
>>
>>81042451
I thought Silver Age Superman was about funny shenanigans and sense of wonder rather than giving an idea to aspire. Kids just wanted to have fun founding Superman's new super power of the week
>>
Because nerds aren't cool, and WB wants Superman to be cool.
>>
>>81042451
>Superman needs to be above humanity to give them an idea to aspire to

Ridiculous.

Superman needs to be above humanity so he can have rad adventures in space and punch fools who need punching.
>>
>>81042475
Kek no you dumb cocksucker. All Star Kent is Donner Kent but little less cartoony and with more dignity. He's like all over the place falling and tumbling down Kent, Kent that's a bit sad and big nerd who isn't cool enough that Lois will believe that he could legitimately be Superman.
Birthright Kent is little les of dweeb and more of a nerdish guy. But he's Superman first. Remember that page where he asks if Superman should wear a mask to be a vigilante and Martha replies it's the Clark Kent that needs to be a mask, people need to see Superman as he is. It was a meta commentary on how Byrne flipped the switch unnecessarily with making Superman a mask and Clark a real deal.

Read interviews with Morrison or Waid or read Superman 2000 draft. https://sites.google.com/site/deepspacetransmissions/Resources/superman-2000-proposal
All Star and Action comics by Morrison do have Smallville connection because it is an "essential prologue" to Superman story. Remember how Morrison Superman never visits Smallville in current timeline other than maybe to pay respect to Kents. That's because he otgrew the farmboy part of him when he realized who he was. World around hom changed that day.
Jesus you faggots have been so brainwashed by post crisis turd that you won't realise what's in front of you even if it hit you in the face.
>>
>>81042820
Read "Must there be a Superman" by Elliott S Maggin.
>>
>>81042619
>>81042937
Superman being best of humanity is layman's term of Superman being above humanity. If he's just another human he won't elevate us to the next level.
>>
>>81038544
Read a comic. I'm casual as fuck on Superman and I've still seen plenty of wimpy Clark. And I like wimpy Clark the best.
>>
>>81036858
To be fair the concept was always stupid. Clark was in no way a scrawny guy nor a nerd.
>>
>>81036858
When power fantasies became less desirable.
>>
>>81048439
Read comic you fucking fag.
>>
>>81038544
STAS has wimpy Clark too
>>
>>81036858
Like the 70s forward.
>>
>>81039258
this applies only for you, "normal" guy.
>>
>>81042054
I recognize this panel from an issue i found at a thrift shop!
>>
>>81050000
>>
File: 1458777099536.jpg (26 KB, 584x248) Image search: [Google]
1458777099536.jpg
26 KB, 584x248
While I really hate to use /tv/ as a source for anything sometimes they say good things and this was one of them

>The interesting thing about the Donner Superman movie is it was made in the late 70's urban hell "Taxi Driver" NYC (albeit Metropolis but it's obviously NYC) where everyone is rude and modern and mean spirited and fast paced and a dick and Clark Kent comes and he's a gee shucks little town farmboy who just wants to be friendly and do the right thing and it's instantly endearing.

>The really hilarious thing is you could take literally that EXACT performance of the character and put him in one of these new joyless mean spirited cynical edgelord Snyder movies and it would be exactly as effective.

>>Tell me... do you bleeeeeed?? You will...
>>Uhhh... golly, gee Mr. Wayne... that's really not a very nice thing to say... now you can't just go around threatening people all day... something tells me you're really a nice person under all that armor and you really don't wanna hurt anybody at all!
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.