[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Which are the inherent and unique capabilities of Comics as an
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5
File: 01800310101_g[1].jpg (36 KB, 285x400) Image search: [Google]
01800310101_g[1].jpg
36 KB, 285x400
Which are the inherent and unique capabilities of Comics as an art form?
>>
>>81018783
Bump
>>
>>81018783
There is a HUGE strength comics have.

They allow creators to tell the stories they want to tell, make them looks like a cartoon, with with less censorship and much cheaper and quicker.

Basically, if you want to do a cartoon, but have no money or time, make a comic. Comics are poor man's cartoons, but in the best meaning of those words.
>>
>>81018783
That they're easy to adapt into movies.
>>
>>81018783
Lettering can be used in a way that prose and film cannot capture.
Detailed motions can be captured on the page in a way that film and animation cannot do without slow motion.
Pacing can be changed at will by the writer and artist, not just of the narrative but of how the reader will read the page
Incredibly fantastical and spectacular scenes can be created without worry of budget
>>
>>81018783
Comics books' reputation has been tainted by some 70 years of capeshit, but the truth is pictures have been around for a lot longer than the written work and they're an incredibly powerful storytelling tool.

That and the fact that making a comic is virtually free of costs implies that you can get it done while retaining your integrity and your vision. The moment money from a third party comes into play, it's inevitable that you'll have to dumb things down. Your work becomes someone's investment.

Comics are amazing. It's just that nobody gives a shit about 'em and it's so hard to make a living off of 'em.
>>
>>81019013
>Comics are poor man's cartoons, but in the best meaning of those words.

So, essentially comics are film scripts? That's sad.
>>
>>81019224
I'd say that storyboards are comics, not the opposite.
>>
>>81019181
Only good response in the thread.
>>
>>81019181
>Lettering can be used in a way that prose and film cannot capture.

Really? How? Literature has experimented with lettering for ages

>>81019181

>Detailed motions can be captured on the page in a way that film and animation cannot do without slow motion.

Then, it's not unique because film already uses slow motion

>>81019181

>Pacing can be changed at will by the writer and artist, not just of the narrative but of how the reader will read the page

Literature and film are not necesarelly narrative focused, so pacing it's totally secondary most of the times, and totally alterable at will.

>Incredibly fantastical and spectacular scenes can be created without worry of budget

this is true
>>
>>81019224
What I meant was that comics look like cartoons, with lines around the characters and everything.

Hell, original comics were called "cartoons", since they were wacky caricatures of real life.
>>
>>81019914
So your statetement made even less sense.

I agree that comic books are economically more viable, but that's it? Comic book fans are always film/cartoons fans? From what you guys are telling me, they are essentially the same medium but with the only particularity that the reader can partially control the pacing and the speed.
>>
>>81019224
Comics can be used as cartoon scripts.
As long as you're using pictures to tell a story it's basically a comic
>>
File: miss2_mccloud.jpg (167 KB, 1252x891) Image search: [Google]
miss2_mccloud.jpg
167 KB, 1252x891
>>81018783
Chronology is completely dependent on the reader. A comic could tell a completely different story or completely change the impression a reader gets just by looking at the panels in a different order.
>>
>>81018783
Comics are like active cartoons; their strength is in the reader. The artist must use the tools of comics, panels and cartoon icons, to manipulate the reader in some really unimaginable ways. It can be amazing. They're also quite cheaply made which provides an enormous amount of creative freedom.
>>
>>81018783
Unique to the medium ? Panelling and speech bubbles/written sounds effects.
Changing the color or angles of the gutters, or repeating a panel motif can be a very powerful tool.
Druillet had very nice borders in some of his works, using characters, ships or scenery.

But comics are one of the most diverse and ill-defined form of art, since they have a very variable support compared to everything else. So IMO they don't really shine by their unique aspects, but instead by their plasticity and mix of other art forms.

On a sidenote, I remember a korean horror webcomic that had surprise animations or changing panels for added value.
Same for OnePunch Man that has some additional frames in the web version. The web can mix comics and animation very well.

Too bad there isn't a lot of artists that want to experiment with comics.
>>
>>81020037
So there are only two mediums to you? Visual and books?
>>
>>81019088
>Easy to be poorly adapted into movies.
Fixed
>>
File: MoebiusMajorFatal.png (319 KB, 636x546) Image search: [Google]
MoebiusMajorFatal.png
319 KB, 636x546
>>81019344
>Really? How? Literature has experimented with lettering for ages
Not him, but I don't think literature can really do pic related without becoming a complete mess. The colored version is even more vivid, but I don't have a scan of it.
>>
>>81018783

Halfway between a painting and a book, can tell a story that would need more than one painting to capture, can show action and powers far better than if you tried to describe them.
>>
File: shippanel.png (4 MB, 1644x2116) Image search: [Google]
shippanel.png
4 MB, 1644x2116
>>81020847
And while I'm posting some Airtight Garage.
Original panelling with the cockpit.
>>
I love how in Krazy Kat the panels and backgrounds keep changing even if the scene doesn't.

Milt Gross' page layouts are beautiful.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.