[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How muscular should superheroines be?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 24
File: lady liberators.jpg (299 KB, 1268x1920) Image search: [Google]
lady liberators.jpg
299 KB, 1268x1920
I mean, I get characters like Emma Frost and Golden Age Wonder Woman are supposed to be model-thin. However, I think characters like Thundra, She-Hulk, Power Girl, Valkyrie, Titania, and Big Barda who are based around physical strength and looking intimidating should have some mass on them.

Personally, it looks boring to me when we see a group shot and all of the characters are the same model with different colors and patterns, I like for people to have different body types, because I think that's genuinely more visually interesting.
>>
>>81016519
That muscular in that picture. If they aren't powerhouses they can be less muscular but I want my Wonder Woman to look like she can fuck me to death.
>>
Depends on their powerset, mostly.

Ladies tossing around cars will be more muscular than achubby psychic that sits around all day. And a speedster will be slimmer more than muscular, except maybe in thighs and legs.
>>
>>81016519
It depends if their strength actually comes from a super power, or based on how strong their body is: which goes into characters like Molly Hayes who don't need a big build to be strong vs She-Hulk who also doesn't need to have a big build, but gets stronger if she actually does work out.
Then it depends on if they're DEX, AGI, or STR.
If it's someone like She-Hulk, she doesn't really need to move that much, so going for strength more than an agile body makes sense. If it's someone like Wonder Woman, I can imagine her being fairly toned, but not hulking muscles, since she needs to be agile for a lot of her moves.
>>
>>81016546
Even WW should be that buff? what about like, Black WIdow and Shanna the She-Devil?

>>81016549
Jesse Quick and WHite Rabbit should be bottom heavy gals, the way you see it?
>>
>>81016519
Depends on the individual. I'd be pissed if anyone made Nico a gun show.
>>
>>81016571
do you think Hulk should be muscular?
>>
>>81016581
all of them.
>>
File: image.png (946 KB, 1007x546) Image search: [Google]
image.png
946 KB, 1007x546
>>
>>81016581
I don't know White Rabbits skillset, but Jessie would be slim with, if anything, muscular thighs and legs from running.
>>
File: workout carol.jpg (190 KB, 1000x1294) Image search: [Google]
workout carol.jpg
190 KB, 1000x1294
>>
>>81016594
Well, Hulk's basically a tank, and a lot of it comes from the juxtaposition of "Puny Banner", so, yeah, I'd say it makes sense for him to be muscular, literally being a hulking beast.
>>
>>81016627
why does she have a baby head?

>>81016640
is that modern Carol?
>>
File: 643090603.jpg (104 KB, 1080x1080) Image search: [Google]
643090603.jpg
104 KB, 1080x1080
At least this muscular
>>
>>81016716
a lot of Shulk comes from juxtaposition with Puny Jen
>>
File: golden age wonder woman.jpg (38 KB, 300x432) Image search: [Google]
golden age wonder woman.jpg
38 KB, 300x432
>>81016519
>Golden Age Wonder Woman
>model thin
Golden Age Wondy was pretty thick, actually.

She also had a weird face.
>>
>>81016850
You know I like /fit/ girls but she actually does look like a dude other than her bedroom eyes
>>
File: 1453359341658.jpg (2 MB, 1526x1276) Image search: [Google]
1453359341658.jpg
2 MB, 1526x1276
>>81016786
>>is that modern Carol?
yep
>>
If their power is being crazy strong then they should be buff. If not they should be gymnasts. If not they should be in a wheelchair.

Exactly the same as I'd apply to men.
>>
File: Molly_Hayes_(Earth-13729)_0001.jpg (132 KB, 364x840) Image search: [Google]
Molly_Hayes_(Earth-13729)_0001.jpg
132 KB, 364x840
>>81016571
>which goes into characters like Molly Hayes who don't need a big build to be strong

Because she is practically still a kid, her power is in developing phase. That's why she is suddenly having narcoleptic episode everytime she is using her power.
But adult Molly Hayes on the other hand....
>>
>>81017066
Really? I like girls who look like dudes and she does nothing for me.
>>
File: she-hulk-6-bamf.png (458 KB, 664x463) Image search: [Google]
she-hulk-6-bamf.png
458 KB, 664x463
At least THIS muscular.
>>
File: 222206266.jpg (126 KB, 642x645) Image search: [Google]
222206266.jpg
126 KB, 642x645
Depends on the character but the average heroine should be a good balance of sturdiness and sex appeal. Deviate where necessary same as dudes.
>>
>>81020742
I want to titfuck her arms
>>
File: 737919135.jpg (152 KB, 636x640) Image search: [Google]
737919135.jpg
152 KB, 636x640
>>81020789
I guess that'd make her feel foolish for wasting all that time trying to develop an ass.
>>
>>81020839
Sure I'll armpitfuck her ass, or even assfuck her tits, honestly it is all good. Who is she?
>>
>>81016640
That's Johnny Storm in a sport's bra.
>>
>>81016519
They should be at least as muscular as the male characters, IF they are going to be presented as being equally strong or stronger.
>>
>>81020960
Pernille Penelopee
>>
>>81016857
Most of it comes from self-doubt, rather than not wanting to be abused, so it's still more "sexy" than anything.
>>
File: _sex.jpg (77 KB, 800x570) Image search: [Google]
_sex.jpg
77 KB, 800x570
Unless you're going for a rigidly realistic story, both male and female heroes should be designed to be attractive rather than practical.

This is generally already true. Most male heroes look like they're built for aesthetics. If they had the bodies of real strongmen and Olympians they would be either much more portly or much leaner.

I mean it's a fantasy created to entertain us. Why shouldn't the characters be sexy?
>>
File: klokov.jpg (570 KB, 788x697) Image search: [Google]
klokov.jpg
570 KB, 788x697
>>81022441
Depends on the artist but most do go with a visual idea of strong rather than realistic.
>>
>>81022097
and muscle can't be sexy?
>>
>>81016519
not female, but look at fucking kingpin!
hes a dude who looks fat as fuck, but its all muscle so hes strong as fuck.
>>
>>81025413
natty bear mode is his superpower
>>
>>81016519
Haha he's not even trying to give them expression. Can you really read that shit without cringing?
>>
>>81016519
First:

If you are a musclefag you shouldn't be allowed to give your opinion.

Why? Because these fucks will find any execuse to make them as manly as possible. For them it shouldn't follow what makes sense or the conventions of the genre, just their fetish.
>>
>>81027539
What if I'm into this and it's as far as I'd go?
>>81020742
>>81020839
>>
>>81016519
Unless their strength is a big part of their powerset or they're an athletic type ala Mockingbird or somebody, then it shouldn't matter. And even then, super strenght means they don't have to be hyper muscular either.
>>
>>81016519
As muscular as any male superhero with equivalent strength UNLESS their powers are specifically not due to their physicality, like the Metal Men in DC. None of them need to be (or where in their original art) particularly muscular, but all had some degree of super strength, or Spider-Man who has the proportional strength of a spider etc etc.

Like if we are talking about Black Widow in the comics, and she has Captain America level strength from super serum, then she should have Captain America like muscles too.

So in a large part it depends on the backstory in-universe.
>>
>>81027677
Don't post 3d.

Musclefag threads almost got banged because the fucks use it only to post 3d.
>>
>>81028070
But the characters are suppused to be attractive.

Most of the male population would hate a Black Widow that looks like a man in te same way that mannish Captain Marvel design is almost universally hated.
>>
>>81028176
Oh, didn't know. I was just pointing out where the line rests for me and asking if it's too far.
>>
>>81016640
Anon, that's a man.
>>
>>81028238
I wouldn't hate Ms. Marvel's design if they changed the dyke hair.
>>
>>81016519
She-hulk is about right in that pic
>>
File: 1454190205537.jpg (457 KB, 1277x792) Image search: [Google]
1454190205537.jpg
457 KB, 1277x792
>>81016519
ill leave that question for my dick to decide
>>
>>81028327
I wouldn't hate it, but my rustlies are still jimmered that her body type has drastically changed with the new design. She used to be curvy and now she's a twig. I get, and to some degree respect, that they're trying to minimize sexual objectification but it's at the expense of design consistency and I don't like it.

like, if they made peter parker a fat guy or a manlet it'd piss me off the same.
>>
>>81030329
Can you imagine how she'd look now in her old costume? It's a good laugh
>>
>>81028070
But Superman is huge, and he's solar powered.
>>
>>81030418
i'm not laughing anon
>>
>>81028238

No they aren't. They are not "supposed" to be. Its a design choice. It just sells well some times. Very often in fact.

I just want design consistency without sexism and preferably without too much hipocracy,

If you want two characters to be as strong as each other, and their strength is for similar reasons, they should have a similar physique.

If the physique is more important than the character, then the character should change. Personally I dont find the physique more important than the character.

>>81030479

Supermans rarely THAT huge, and has not been forever. Its only really been since the silver age that he has gotten progressively more jacked, originally he was just a normal looking guy, and got a more "heroic" profile over time. Plus in the movies he looks like a regular dude who does hard labour/works out regularly. Fit but not huge.

That isnt to say everybody has to be cut and jacked, or that superman has to be skinny. You are allowed to put in explanations. Have a skinny super strong body conscious teen Clark Kent spend a few summers bench pressing icebergs. Kara can be just as strong as a solar powers kryptonian, but does not want big muscles so they dont exercise them that much.

They should still have some visible muscle, just because they have a very active lifestyle, but they dont put in the effort it Clark does, because they didnt have the "oh my god im super strong but cannot tell anyone so I am gonna be picked on forever" phase Cark had (he can just keep up the routine because he decides he likes it).

That would also give more design freedom in Kryptonian characters. A skinny Super Boy or a bearmode General Zod could be cool too.

It only becomes sexist if MOST of the female characters with male counterparts with similar powers do not have a similar physique. You can have exceptions it just can't be the norm, and it can't be just the "popular" high profile women who are designed for sex appeal.
>>
>>81016519

If theyre supposed to be super strong? then exactly how Cho draws them, Muscular and badass as hell but still sexy.

Pisses me off hes gonna be off the new Hulk book after issue 6
>>
File: Superman09.jpg (69 KB, 580x819) Image search: [Google]
Superman09.jpg
69 KB, 580x819
>>81032754
Superman was pretty much as in-shape as anyone was in the 30's
>>
>>81030329
>whining over sexual objectfication on comics

I never said it before, but you should really go back to Tumblr.
>>
File: strongman.jpg (21 KB, 400x485) Image search: [Google]
strongman.jpg
21 KB, 400x485
>>81033769

He had the Strongman body type of the time, same with Capt Marvel
>>
File: ww-insult.png (487 KB, 500x409) Image search: [Google]
ww-insult.png
487 KB, 500x409
>>81016546
I tend to defer to Marston's wishes, he had her drawn as small and waifish, sort of an attempt to appeal to young girls.

Or he had a short Dom fetish, hard to tell with Marston.
>>
>>81030479
He's also a member of a race of heavy worlders whose physiology bears similarities to our own only on the superficial level.
>>
>>81032754

>I just want design consistency without sexism

Attractive characters kicking ass and doing imposible feats is sexism? Its that same sjw argument regarding Bayonetta?

Let me guess, you also want everything to be taticool too? Also, what about dowgrading everyone to have more mundane power levels that are realistic? It woud be so good!
>>
>>81033897
>Not being smart enough o read a comment

Go back to the special ed class
>>
>>81016549
This, basically. That said fat super heroes feel weird, like shouldn't they be in shape if they're super heroing it up?
>>
>>81034002
why not both?
>>
>>81034088
But its exactly that.

Crying over cheesecake on comics is patethic if your complain is "muh realism".

You don't read Birds of Prey or mostly cape comics for realism. It's an arbitrary decision.
>>
>>81017529
Which makes no sense because Molly's strength is telekinetic in basis.
>>
>>81016519
It depends entirely on the character and their power set. She Hulk is a weird case because while she should looks trong and have super strength her self image hulk deal means she shouldn't be so muscular that she lapses into looking masculine. Whereas Valkyrie should have that muscle because fuck it, why not?

It raises an interesting point though that really, a LOT of female capes use ranged abilities and thus wouldn't really need muscles at all.

But beyond that like >>81016549 said there are different kinds of muscular. Speedsters in general should have fuckhuge thighs, men and women alike.
>>
>>81034359
eh, is there a single non-powered cape in Marvel who isn't an olympic tier weightlifter and martial artist?
>>
>>81025149
It's complicated. You have to remember that Hulks are the repressed form and subconscious desires unleashed.

Banner gets abused as a kid and represses his anger about it, so Hulk is a super strong toddler that gets stronger as he gets angry and just wants to be left alone.

Jen is a mousy bookworm that regrets not being popular or attractive, so she becomes an outgoing super hot bombshell.

Samuel Sterns is a slow-witted janitor that constantly got mocked for being stupid, so his hulk form is a super intelligent giant walking brain.

Doc Samson has no major psychological baggage, he just wants to help people. So he just gets green hair and becomes an idealized version of himself.

So, She Hulk should be muscular, sure, but never beyond fitness model muscular, emphasis on the model.
>>
>>81034067

>I just want design consistency without sexism

No, i was refering to the "sexist" design consistency I mentioned at the end of my post.

>>81032754
>It only becomes sexist if MOST of the female characters with male counterparts with similar powers do not have a similar physique. You can have exceptions it just can't be the norm, and it can't be just the "popular" high profile women who are designed for sex appeal

Those would be consistent design principles, but they would be sexist ones. I am absolutely fine with all the characters being attractive. I just want a variety of body types and consistent art/design that matches the story.

>Attractive characters kicking ass and doing imposible feats is sexism? Its that same sjw argument regarding Bayonetta?

I'm just saying I want internal consistency re:powers and physique. Samebody is as bad as sameface. If Superman is jacked and Supergirl isn't, but they have similar powers/strength, I just want a reason why. Like I said that could just be a page or a scene of Superman having a super workout or saying he does something like that semi regularly because he wants to look strong and imposing by being muscular.

But equally, yes, I dont want the majority of female OR male superheroes to be attractive in the same way and to have largely the same or similar body types across most superpowered characters of the same gender. Male superheroes are often either skinnystrong, muscular or jacked, women tend to just be kind of nebulously "hot" depending on the artist. Some skinnier, some curvier, some with bigger tits or ass. Its changing more now though.

And fuck tacticool, I want a brave and the bold style DC cinematic universe.
>>81033769
>>81033957

Also huh yeah okay I was wrong on that one. To be honest I was mainly thinking of "movie" superman who is usually fit but not like Brock Lesnar huge.
>>
>>81034144
Again, it depends. It works best when it's directly connected to their powers, like Big Bertha or the Blob. Characters with less physically-oriented powersets could also be forgiven for being more realistically out-of-shape.

It's also occurred to me that, ironically, obesity and super speed would make a lethal combination. Picture a wrecking ball moving at mach 5. Such a character would still be best suited to a more comedy-based setting. Makes it easier to BS your way around the whole speedster metabolism thing.
>>
>>81034527
Wow, I have never heard that Hulk lore before. Is it the same in modern marvel? I thought it was all just vaguely explained Gamma Ray stuff now. Especially with all the different colored Hulks. Like, get Gamma Rayed, get FUKHUEG, with it being sometimes repressed into a bestial state that comes out with emotional stress, and Jen just getting some Gamma Rayed blood, but not getting Gamma Rayed herself, so only getting a partial Hulkening.
>>
>>81034860
like that Daredevil foe, Bullet?
>>
>>81035004
I know Banner's also been explained as a superpowered version of DID or whatever condition he has.
>>
>>81034860
Or how if a character has super strength not linked to their physical body, they should probably be either very skinny or fat. No way to burn calories or work your muscles since the power does the work. Like if Iron Man was in his suit all the time.
>>
File: DruidFit.jpg (418 KB, 1280x1973) Image search: [Google]
DruidFit.jpg
418 KB, 1280x1973
>>81036232
I feel like normies are a mixed bag.
Like Tony wouldn't let his body fall to shit especially since he's constantly without his suit
similarly X-men are forced into training for such situations.
There aren't a whole lot of good reasons for heroes to be out of shape unless it's their gimmick.
>>
>>81036444
Eh I was being more metaphorical. Like, if a character has super strength that is not because of super muscles/biology, like "this magic amulet gives me super strength!" or similar permanent super strength thing, it is effectively like being in power armour all the time, so their muscles should wither.

The best example I can think of are Green Lanterns, who should probably mainly start muscular due to having the willpower to work out, but lose it over time due to the ring providing super strength via light construct suit (that also alows them to breath in space etc) and their will driving them to be Green Lanterning all the time and not spending the time working out.

This would probably be less so for those based out of Oa as the corps would likely stress physical training to mitigate the utter loss scenario that running out of ring juice would otherwise be.
>>
>>81035105
I actually didn't even know about this guy.
>>
>>81038562
yeah, he's pretty cool
>>
File: muscle girl legs.jpg (211 KB, 1080x721) Image search: [Google]
muscle girl legs.jpg
211 KB, 1080x721
Every day is leg day.
>>
File: SuddenOrgasm.png (1 MB, 800x1110) Image search: [Google]
SuddenOrgasm.png
1 MB, 800x1110
>>81039987
Mexican Chun Li is my Waifu
>>
they should be as buff as possible without getting gross female body builder tits
>>
>>81038044
The thing is their power ring can do (mostly) ANYTHING. That includes "Stimulate my muscles to give me a perfect body." It's not like they have anything better to do flying in space.
>>
File: Meisha Tate.jpg (30 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
Meisha Tate.jpg
30 KB, 700x700
>>81040126
>Fit girls with real tits are borderline nonexistent
The greatest tragedy
>>
Post Cho Widow
>>
>>81040431
proof god doesn't exist. or at least isn't a Schmoe
>>
Is this the stealth muscle thread? Well it should be.

>>81040827
But they do exist, they're just rare. Like unicorns. Any way, thank God for Rin Nakai.
>>
File: BREH.png (724 KB, 708x744) Image search: [Google]
BREH.png
724 KB, 708x744
They should look like this.
>>
Daily reminder that posting 3d will get this thread deleted like happened many times before.
>>
File: Power Girl.jpg (169 KB, 730x1095) Image search: [Google]
Power Girl.jpg
169 KB, 730x1095
>>81041984
But it's /co/ related.
Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 24

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.