[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Batman V Superman projected to have the biggest opening week
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 110
Thread images: 14
File: batman-vs-superman-trailer-.jpg (423 KB, 2811x1205) Image search: [Google]
batman-vs-superman-trailer-.jpg
423 KB, 2811x1205
Batman V Superman projected to have the biggest opening weekend for a comic book movie, it will earn half a billion worldwide in less than a week.

Reviews don't mean shit for the Bat!

http://www.newsarama.com/28229-batman-v-superman-dawn-of-justice-expected-to-have-300m+-opening-weekend.html
>>
File: image.jpg (421 KB, 746x982) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
421 KB, 746x982
>>81012939
It actually does. It may have big opening, but bad reviews may turn people off from second watching.

Just look at the current score - around 36%. Unless it goes up to at least 70% when more reviews come, I don't see it being a really huge hit.

I'm really fucking sad that this is the case
>>
>>81013021
Your sitting in a echo chamber anon. Most people don't know that RT exists, most people don't let the % on the left affect them.

I'm going to see the movie and so is everyone I know. It's fucking batman vs superman, get hype.
>>
I don't think it's the reviews that are gonna stop people from seeing it.

Have you seen the trailers? They're doing a fine job of that themselves.
>>
>>81013088

its confirmed to make almost 400 millions the moment it opens
>>
>>81012939
did you even read the article your linked? its currently tracking as fifth highest comic book opening
>>
>>81013021
All I've been seeing is ppl saying fuck the critics I just got my third showing ticket.
>>
>>81012939
>300 million + opening
wow, that is almost half their budget.
>>
>>81013049
Even if they're not aware of RT, there's still word of mouth.

Still, I think it will break billion like Bayformer.
>>
>>81013355

the budget was 250, thet are already making profit
>>
>>81013355
>>81013355
Back in April 2015, The Hollywood Reporter estimated that Zack Snyder-directed film had a budget of $200 million.
>>
>>81012939
Don't get me wrong senpai, I'll be one of those people there opening night, I've already got my tickets.

But it's coming out in an noncompetitive time. The season for big movies generally doesn't start until April or May.
>>
>>81013434

just like winter soldier and antman and unlike man of steel going against world war z and monsters inc 2
>>
>>81013410
there are still advertisement and marketing costs. They need to reach billion to break even.

http://comicbook.com/2016/03/16/what-batman-v-superman-needs-to-gross-to-break-even/
>>
>>81012939
>b-but reviews and quality dont matter, it'll still sell!!
truly snyderfags are the sonyggers of /co/
>>
>>81013496
>>b-but reviews and quality dont matter, it'll still sell!!
It's true, but
>we're Bayformer-tier now
isn't exactly a good thing.
>>
>>81013021
majority of money this movie will get is from fanboys who decided they loved this movie from the first trailer.
>>
/co/ how did we get to this. Discussing comic book movies with Box Office receipts and RT scores?

When TWS came out, /tv/ was sperging about how it won't make 1 BN. In /co/ we were discussing the MGS speed run, chuckling at the different notebook entries in some countries, and agog at namedrops like Stephen Strange. Easter Eggs galore.

When TDK came out, /tv/ was sperging on Maggie Gyllenhaal. We were discussing "The Long Halloween" imagery and the plus/minus of killing Two-Face for an ending.

Now ...
We like the Avengers, but get worried when a critic says "Loki was a more menacing villain than Ultron. Which technically, in the comics, HE IS anyway.

We like the Arkham and Injustice games and comics, but get worried when a critic says the movie is too dark and violent. Amazingly, we like Netflix Daredevil that way (which now has Frank).

And the biggest one this year ... Deadpool is not as fun as the X-Men (they based this on what? the ‘Origins’ movie version).

Go be /co/! Go see a movie for yourself and form your own opinions. Tell your friends (tell us) and discuss it like the comic book enthusiasts (nerds) that we are.

I hope to enjoy BvS and the upcoming DCEU movies, CW and the upcoming MCU movies, Fox films, and the different TV shows. We're there! Live-action comic book Utopia. I hope we get more; and they're getting better as CGI fees get cheaper.

Company wars get us nothing but fall into the cape-hate death-spiral /tv/ is spewing. This post will probably get s**tposted by them anyway.

Enjoy your heroes /co/.
>>
>>81013049
I know it dosen't mean shit at a place like this, but thanks mate.

All this Review Drama was really bumming me out. But you're right: fuck them. Its less then 12 hours till i watch it, i should get my hype back up. Thank you!
>>
>>81013021
Normies don't give a fuck about RT scores of reviews
>>
Who gives a shit if it will make money. The movie was fucking awful and it upsets me. Civil War is going to win this with ease.

Snyder deserves it for being a cocky prick
hurr durr flavor of the month

Why the fuck did they let that hack take control? Please tell me he wont be making any more DC films?
>>
File: only closer.png (188 KB, 471x337) Image search: [Google]
only closer.png
188 KB, 471x337
>>81013940
>>
File: 4hah5q2.png (52 KB, 1383x366) Image search: [Google]
4hah5q2.png
52 KB, 1383x366
Will i finally be right?
>>
>>81013261
Same here, I've seen lost of tweets saying that there going to see the movie to make the the critics angry and that there's something going on, what did they expect after the lots of scandals and drama in the last few years.
>>
>>81014022
I am also watching it this Friday with group A friends and again on Sat with group b friends.

I need to see this fucking train wreck myself because i honestly believe it deserves more than 34% RT score holy shiet
>>
>>81013261
why would you get more tickets before you know if you'll enjoy the first one?
>>
At what point did /co/ decide that Snyder was a director worthy of blind praise?

I can honestly believe if it was a much much better director and this was just some misunderstood movie that flopped critically due to some nonalignment between critics and the audience but this is the guy who brought out Sucker Punch and other slightly entertaining mediocre movies like Legend of the Guardians and 300.
>>
>>81013980
>Please tell me he wont be making any more DC films?
Guess who's doing the Justice League flicks
>>
>>81014059
His movies may suck, but i feel he at least gets the visuals and production designs right. And when i heard Affleck and Chris Terrio also working on script i thought this movie might have a chance because fuck Goyer.
>>
>>81014059
I don't get it either. I can understand why people sucked Nolan's dick, but fucking Snyder?
>>
File: vlcsnap-2015-04-17-22h03m35s241.png (574 KB, 853x480) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2015-04-17-22h03m35s241.png
574 KB, 853x480
The dude from the Superman Homepage liked it, at least: http://www.supermanhomepage.com/news.php?readmore=17989

Th-that means something, right? R-right?
>>
>>81014119
I know right. Man fuck these critics, JeremyJahns, Christ Struk, John Campea, and Schmoes all just posted their non-spoiler review just now. If this shit is bad is it is, i'm just going to wait for the blue ray or torrent this shit.
>>
>>81014119
>Instead they had Pa Kent talking about drowning ponies
Welp. That's enough for me to dislike the movie.

I hated the Jurassic Park because somehow a scared little pig being chased and brutalized by raptors and a goat being left tied for a Tyrannosaurus Rex to eat it while still alive, shown to kids for their enjoyment btw, put me off real bad, then shit like running from a T-Rex in high heels happened, but by that time I had lost any interest in that movie.
>>
>>81013451
Nope, they only need MoS box number and then it was profit after that but this one won't hit a billion means a grim future for DCEU.

Also, many called bullshit from that source for many time.
>>
>>81014258
>this one won't hit a billion means a grim future for DCEU.

Don't you mean a bright one?
>>
>>81014280
For us, yeah.
>>
File: tumblr_m8mmegEZ7c1rwl09fo1_500.gif (1017 KB, 500x318) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m8mmegEZ7c1rwl09fo1_500.gif
1017 KB, 500x318
>not fun
>too philosophical
>not light like Marvel
>humorless
>DC has no future

I think I see the problem... Yes, it's clear to me now! The problem is Batman doesn't dance anymore!

It should've ended with a dance off between Batman and Superman with Luthor interjecting with a wild break-dance. Hilarity ensues. 80% on Rotten Tomatoes, easy!
>>
>>81013451
They've probably already made back the production budget from product placement deals, just like they did with MoS.
>>
>>81014296
>Superman shouldn't be fun
>Superman shouldn't be light
>Superman shouldn't have a sense of humor
you're right, this is a problem
>>
>>81012939
ASM made tons despite bad reviews, but they scrapped the universe anyway because bad reviews and word of mouth start to hurt the movie and universe medium to long term
>>
>>81014296
Doesn't anybody else find it disgusting that these ostensibly professional critics are shitting on this movie for doing exactly what it set out to do, and they can't seem to come up with a reason for why what it set out to do is even bad in the first place?
>>
>>81014321
Modern Superman comics tend to have those things, but they're mostly serious. I have no clue where this idea that they're lighthearted and fun 24/7 came from.
>>
>>81014371
isn't it obvious. Reeves Superman.
>>
>>81013116
>advance ticket sales in the U.S. are said to be between $20m-$25m.

This is what people have been yelling about being the highest ever Fandango pre-order, by the way. $20m-$25m.

You know what Green Lantern opened on? $53m domestic. If every territory including China, which is a huge place, added together only adds up to $350m - bearing in mind it opens today and tomorrow in some territories and those totals will be counted as first weekend - it's not going to break a billion. It can't unless it sells better than any movie ever.

It's going to finish a lot lower than you think, anon.
>>
>>81012939
There's three sources of advertising for modern movies, and they trump one another.
Traditional Ads serve only to inform people that a movie exists and is coming out / is out. They get initial asses in seats.
Movie Reviewers step up and tell us the good and the bad. Not everyone listens to them, but those who do are either attracted or repelled at a much higher rate than advertising. This can kill an opening weekend.
Lastly, Word of Mouth is the ultimate advertisement. People are far more likely to see / not see a film based on the recommendation of others they know. These people can either be influenced by the reviewers, or by personal experience, but this comes later in the film's life cycle, which kills the following weekends.

So, if you have negative 2 and 3... Unless a miracle occurs...
>>
>>81012939

Face it, you lost.
>>
>>81013891
I guess in this case,"ignorance truly is bliss". I wouldn't be surprised if normies eat this movie up, particularly the ones that believe that "Superman is boring because he's so powerful", since they'll cream their little pants at the sight of Batffleck kicking Supes' ass.
>>
>>81014435
Word of mouth is still a thing and some of those normies have normie friends that try to pass for movie connoisseurs after seeing what RT have to say about the movie, they tell them about it and then word spreads.
>>
>>81014426
Lost what? You sound so fucking stupid. Ban all users under 25
>>
>>81013021
>Just look at the current score - around 36%
Stop saying that's the score. Jesus fuck is RT really too complicated for you cucks?
>>
>>81014446
Most people don't even know what RT is. Go outside more.
>>
>>81014469
>Most people don't even know what RT is.

What world do you live in, because this is 2016.
>>
>>81014454
Mods ban this angry 12 year old faggot.
>>
>>81013753
can't imagine what it feels like to be an actual cape comic book fan right now.
>>
>>81014320
They didn't make the budget back from product placement.

Most product placement isn't cash money, it's things they end up using as props with a small cash element to make it sweeter. You want to throw someone around in a Sears? You need to pay for the shit on the shelves. Want to wreck a street full of cars because you've got a mad bone for physical props? You need to get those cars.

The companies that provide them tend to provide them not at cost, but at the RRP - the ostensible market rate - because of accounting.

In particular, as outlined in federal records, ~$80m of the $120m reported product placement spent on Man of Steel was the 11-day loan of several thousand National Guard personnel, their equipment, their vehicles, the fuel and transport and feeding of those troops and vehicles, and a big fuckin airbase. In return for which the DoD reported that it was able to use Man of Steel as part of the 2013 recruiting drive for the National Guard, as well as less tangible benefits like advertising the current sophistication of the US military to foreign audiences, which is a form of force projection in line with US foreign policy since 1945.

Essentially, this was extra money spent on the production that didn't count against the budget. It was not money to pay off the budget with.
>>
>tfw that shitty new Ghostbusters movie gets s higher score than BvS
>>
File: 1.webm (1 MB, 734x302) Image search: [Google]
1.webm
1 MB, 734x302
>>81014296
No. No. No.

They need to make it a 70's political thriller.
>>
>>81014454
and anybody who isn't a virgin
>>
>>81014410
>$20m-$25m
That was the number it'd sold more than a week ago.
>>
>>81014540
>it's the ''1'' filename shitposter
Sorry pham, the one in Bruselas wasn't the biggest bomb yesterday.
>>
>>81014355
I heard there was a review that flat out says "This is the best movie ever, and I hate it because it's not fun for me."
>>
>>81014433
>Implying that the MCU movies have good stories
>Implying the general audience think like that
>Implying anyone without autism thinks like that
kek/10
>>
>>81014591
Your denial is humorous.
>>
>>81014410
And considering they spent like mad and had the movie in production for 3 years, it is bound to "underperform" even it does apparently well.

Brace for impact
>>
>>81014591
>2016
>still using kek

Zozzle. What a faggot.
>>
>>81014454

Where are you going to go then, anon?
>>
File: 1399020981550.jpg (223 KB, 1096x800) Image search: [Google]
1399020981550.jpg
223 KB, 1096x800
>>81014371

Superman, above all else, should be something to look up to, should be hope. But they've completely neglected that...and making him Jesus wasn't a very good attempt, that's for goddamn sure.
>>
>>81014143
>Christ Struk
just saw his review and his gripes were narrative and not >not muh also, the biggest difference between his review and the ones on rt is that he calls it based on what he saw. as we all know a lot of the negative has come from what BvS isn't, he clearly stated what he saw and why it didn't work as a whole onto itself
which is pretty much goes into the same territory as MoS
if family or friends bring it up i'll see it. i'm fairly certain that this is better than the dropped justice league:mortal movie
>>
So release date are actually going to discuss the film? Or are we just going to keep these /tv/ review and /v/ sales threads going?
>>
>>81014469
then why do trailers i see on tv brag about being certified fresh?
>>
>>81014469
Even my grandpa checks RT when deciding between movies, and he's not all that savvy and still has to ask me how to send an email.
>>
>>81014642
>people think this image accurately sums up his view
i'm there with criticizing the set up of the tornado scene, but his views regarding clark in the world are coherent: he was looking at the big picture implications that clark presented and wanted clark to be mindful of his actions and their effects which to your probable dismay ties into the jesus association. you can't just enact miracles haphazardly, you have to keep an eye on the greater good
the defensiveness he displays towards clark is completely understandable as a father who cares about the well being of his son
>>
>>81014733
Sure he does. My smoking hot girlfriend in Canada does the same.
>>
>>81014412
I think you are over estimating the influence of critics. People vaule the options of people they know much more than even the most popular reviewers
>>
>>81014665
I hope we can get a serious talback tomorrow without shitposts.

But I'm just being overly optimistic.
>>
File: murder.jpg (643 KB, 994x1528) Image search: [Google]
murder.jpg
643 KB, 994x1528
Of the reviews I'm seeing on youtube they're saying it's
a mess
exactly what you expected from the trailers
Batman fucking kills people

We're not going to get Red Hood are we?

And I guess Lex sucked or something.
>>
>>81014756
Please consult my third paragraph for word of mouth.
Second paragraph was reviewers, and I even said "not everybody listens to them, but those who do"... And third paragraph was about how word of mouth can't stop an opening, but can tank week 2+.
>>
>R-reviews d-don't matter!

What a switcheroo, huh? Oh, I am laffin.
>>
>>81014296
Well, that is not the problem but this movie lack of it's theme and what it want to show us. The plot is everywhere and this is like ASM2 of WB and DC, it's the movies for the sake of set up the universe.

I'm not even Marvel fans but this movies was horrible even a cool fight scene won't help. It's much worse than MoS.
>>
>reviews don't mean shit

Then how did GotG outgross MoS?
>>
>people dismissing "not muh" for Batman of Murder and Jesusman
>but critique Marvel for being ashamed of their source material
>>
File: 3956111_orig.jpg (113 KB, 823x450) Image search: [Google]
3956111_orig.jpg
113 KB, 823x450
>>81014790
>>
>>81014828
Rubber explosions too?
>>
File: CeMbXWNW8AAwohC.jpg-large.jpg (42 KB, 600x473) Image search: [Google]
CeMbXWNW8AAwohC.jpg-large.jpg
42 KB, 600x473
IG ore the critics guys.
The show must go on, there ain't no getting off the train
>>
>>81014818
Marvel bring a good point of the movie to improve their comics counter part though and I don't think that's the problem.
>>
I think my favorite part of all this is how DC fans are trying to save face. "C-C'mon guys, j-just like it for it's own merits! I-It'll make money still!"

But if this movie was getting 99% at RT and the money? They'd be shitting all over Marvel and it's fans INSTANTLY with absolutely no stopping for remorse. For months on end.
>>
>>81014835
idk man I haven't actually seen the movie but I'm just going to hope that it's rubber bullets
>>
>>81014842
Ben looks so fucking depress...poor dude, I bet unlike the others, he saw this shit will hit them from miles away.
>>
>>
>>81013049
RT is an aggregate. Did you see the little titles underneath the reviewers? Chicago Tribune? Rolling Stone? USA Today? Those are the names of newspapers and magazines, and between them they reach a fair share of the normie audience. It means that most reviewers thought BvS was shit. Odds are, if your average Joe reads just one review about this movie, there's a 60% chance that it's a negative one.
>>
>>81014790
Mr. Sunday Movies put up his review: he only has two ratings, "best movie ever" and "worst movie ever", (BvS got the former), but man, that review.
Jeremy Jahns gave it a review of "good time, if you're drunk" which is his middle most grade (above the rare "Dogshit" and "Forgotten in T-Minus 1 Day" but below "No Alcohol Required" and the very rare "Worth Buying on Blu-Ray"
Chris Stuckman, who actually gives letter grades, gave it a C+.
Well, those are the professional YouTube movie critics I listen to.
>>
>>81012939
You WANT DC films to be the Transformers of cape genre?
>>
>>81014812
The MOS fanboys are still somehow going to say MOS was better than this movie so its all good
Fuck everyone is saying Eisenberg shit the bed as Lex
Snyder is terrible at casting people
I can only imagine how bad mamoa as Aquaman ends up being
>>
>>81014859
That's exactly why I'm calling them stupid for saying an RT score doesn't matter.
Its good enough to champion your movie but when its bad oh no they don't matter
>>
>>81013451
Films literally never "break even" they're set up so they always lose money on the books. It's a weird fucked up way movies are handled in Hollywood, there are classics that have never officially made a profit.
>>
Cool, they might make back their marketing budget.
>>
>>81014499
Co in a nutshell.
>>
>>81013021
>It may have big opening, but bad reviews may turn people off from second watching

You mean, a person who went to see the movie, loved it and is planning to watch it again because he/she loved it, will change his/her mind because he/she decided to check a review that says the movie is bad at the last minute?

Are there really people like that?
>>
>>81018012
As someone who thinks Snyder is a hack, the trailers all looked kinda terrible, and there was little chance this movie would be any better than Man of Steel, I'm still going to say that negative reviews don't "prove" anything.

That being said, all the people who haven't seen the movie yet, acting like they KNOW the critics are wrong or being paid off or just giving it bad marks for not being Marvel....how pathetic can you be? At least see the movie yourself before you claim to know better than someone who has.
>>
>>81013049
>I know it's going to be shit, but I'm going to like it anyway! Fuck the haters.

Don't kid yourself. At least the Marvel capeshit (as generic and dull as they can be) is at least entertaining and doesn't try to appeal to hallow notions of tough philosophical qaundaries. And this is fucking SNYDER we're talking about, did you really think he could actually make a good movie after this shit list of a directing resume?
>>
>>81013753
Actually, when TWS came out, I was mostly fixated on the disappointing ending and how it needed to resolve itself like every other Marvel movie before it.

When TDK was finished, I thought it was a great movie, but had a third act that was rushed and underdeveloped.

/tv/ is indeed a shithole, but they do have proper discussion every now and then.
>>
>>81020859
No, he means there won't be anybody who sees it that wasn't a fat fucking basement dweller who says "hmm you know what we could go see Batman vs Princess Peach again".

That really hits the second and third week hard.

What bad reviews and low scores do is hit the first week; people say "let's go see My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2" and "let's see Zootopia again" because they want to try something which is fun, or at least isn't three hours of relentless Zimmering while the actors pretend there was a script.

Don't imagine that running time is going to help it none.

>>81018021
No, they're not. Films are each set up as essentially independent productions; that is, if the film runs out of budget and suppliers go unpaid, the studio's liabilities are limited, and the studio itself is also a creditor of the project - so gets a big chunk of any money that can be recovered, because they funded it.

Movies like The Lord of the Rings tried what you're suggesting is commonplace and were sued by their cast and crew - including lead actors and director Peter Jackson - resulting in the collapse of New Line Studios as Time Warner decided they'd had enough of this obvious fraud and rolled it into Warner Bros.; this was why it took so long for the Hobbit movies to get made.

A lot of movies do genuinely lose money - the studio sees perhaps 50% of the gross, on which it pays tax, running costs, movie budget, and so on. Movies in general have a really low ROI, but a few every year make huge amounts and that's what attracts certain kinds of investor (lately, hedge funds).

There are also tax avoidance vehicles which invest in projects which are likely to make losses - good for studios, bad for investors, but not actually anything to do with the studios. These are designed so that investors in the scheme - who aren't anything to do with Hollywood or even the US - can offset some losses against tax to reduce their overall liability. Authorities often shut such schemes down.
>>
>>81012939
... So Zack Snyder will be the new Michael Bay?
>>
>>81024058
Don't lump Michael Bay in with Zach Snyder, he's too good for that.
>>
BvS was cool and I'm seeing it two more times at least.
>>
>>81024345
I mean, seriously. They're both hacks who can only do CGI explosions and EPICCC shots and stupid plot with repetitive action scenes, and who count on people being so stupid as to see overhyped flashy shit.

At this point we just wait until he starts putting product placement in his movies.
>>
File: 1458658711487.jpg (368 KB, 1260x859) Image search: [Google]
1458658711487.jpg
368 KB, 1260x859
they want the film to be a huge sucess with this cast?
>>
File: meganfox_transformers.jpg (10 KB, 234x155) Image search: [Google]
meganfox_transformers.jpg
10 KB, 234x155
>>81024058
>... So Zack Snyder will be the new Michael Bay?

Michael Bay makes fun movies
>>
>>81013021
Transformers 5 is coming out summer of next year.

I wish people would stop using RT like its some kind of magic litmus test for success.
>>
>>81014296
You guys realize that the dancing actually fit with Quill's character, right? It's not like he was some fucking edgelord who decided to start spouting memes all of the sudden.
Thread replies: 110
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.