[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey guys. New to /co/, so please forgive me if what I ask makes
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4
File: 60107306.jpg (32 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
60107306.jpg
32 KB, 600x400
Hey guys. New to /co/, so please forgive me if what I ask makes me an idiot. I have a question I think only you guys can answer.

I'm looking for suggestions on good cartoons, but I'm specifically looking for old cartoons that most people wouldn't have heard of, and stuff that wouldn't appear on any "BEST OF 2012" lists or whatever. I've seen pretty much everything on those types of lists.

I always liked cartoons, and I recently randomly came across the entire series of a cartoon I had never heard of before called "silverwing", which was made many years ago. I just started watching and I think it's actually pretty good. It's not overly cartoony and has death and stuff, good art and characters, and seems pretty ok.

I'd like to know about more stuff like this show that I would have missed. Stuff that never comes up and is easily forgotten. Do you guys have any suggestions along these lines? Have any of you even heard of this show?

Thanks guys.
>>
>>81933742
The first thing that popped into my head was The Raccoons. It's 80's as fuck, and I love the shit out of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEkSzcGIfW0
>>
>>81934121
Damn, that is 80's as fuck. Probably more due to the music though.

It doesn't really seem like something all that similar to this show, but I appreciate the suggestion nevertheless.

Here two vids to show off the show a little.

A trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMzVTFUPsjA

The entire fucking show
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UflPxEOX6cY

Fuck, this whole thing was made back in 2002

Jesus, I didn't think it was THAT old. It's no 80s as fuck stuff though!

I figure its mostly forgotten by now. A shame. I quite like the designs of the characters.
>>
File: 1359987028556.gif (1 MB, 430x285) Image search: [Google]
1359987028556.gif
1 MB, 430x285
I am also a fan of obscure shit for obscurity's sake.

Bounty Hamster, Pic related, it never aired in the united states

The Legend of Calamity Jane, it had a short run on canadian television and then poofed because it was too violent for the little kiddies
>>
>>81934588
Shit, I remember bounty hamster. I am Australian though, so I guess that's why.
>>
>>81934453
Well, this whole thing was based off of a series of books. You could try looking those up if you're looking for more Silverwing content.

>Probably more due to the music though.

Well, that song was the ending theme for the show (though I posted the extended version), and the band actually had several of their songs featured on the show, plus the lead singer got her own character in the show in the later seasons.
>>
File: FILE097.gif (968 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
FILE097.gif
968 KB, 480x360
>>81934636
Lucky asshole, tearing down my master plan.

>>81934588
Ruby Gloom, pic related,
If you like moeshit this thing will be perfect for you

The Roswell Conspiracy
/x/ The animated series done with the style and tone of erly 00's action shows

Do you only want old obscure cartoons or recent obscure cartoons are okay?
>>
How about Cybersix?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z22seoMxgpI
>>
>>81934701

OP here. I'm not into stuff because it's obscure, but I am looking for obscure things, if that makes sense.

That cartoon for example, Silverwing, seemed pretty damn good from what I've watched so far. I'm looking for more stuff like it. From what I gather, it wasn't that popular and just became forgotten. I'd like to know what else went past that everyone forgot so I could check out some cool stuff.

All the "TOP 100 CARTOONS MASSIVE NOSTALGIA" just have popular stuff everyone knows, like Animaniacs or whatever.

I like Silverwing because it's serious, but not too serious. It's still a cartoon, and has death, but isn't at the level of watership down or whatever.

It's neat.

Though it's nice to learn about obscure stuff as well, and I thank you guys for that.
>>
>>81934701
Oh, and it doesn't have to be old or whatever. Just something I couldn't find easily on those lists.

Though to be honest, a large part of why I started watching silverwing out of nowhere was just because I loved the animation style. See here for vids >>81934453
>>
Visionaries: Knights of the Magical Light

Totally a toy commercial, as these things tend to be, but surprisingly well written.
>>
>>81934904
>>81934959
I understand what you mean you want that feeling of discovery, novelty and being part of a small group that has seen the obscure thing

I was going to suggest you Kaijudo, it was from 2012 but nobody saw it, it was a toy ad but it was made on the zenith of action cartoons so it has a charm with the lore, character progression and fight scenes.
>>
>>81935120
I thank you for the suggestion, but you've got it all wrong. I really don't care about being part of any group at all. I'm just looking for stuff that I would have missed growing up. Not to be part of any community, but just because I like cartoons.

I know there's more stuff LIKE silverwing, and even though I'm not specifically looking for stuff like silvering, I figured an example like that would at least give an better understanding for the kind of stuff I'm looking for.

I'm not looking for obscure for the sake of obscure. I'm just looking for good stuff I've missed that I can't find easily.

I looked through several lists of old cartoons and couldn't find silverwing on a single one of them, so it stands to reasons I'm probably missing a bunch of stuff that didn't gain popularity for whatever reason.
>>
>>81935250
>I'm just looking for stuff that I would have missed growing up.
AH! I see now.
Try Mina and The Count, The Twisted Tales of Felix the Cat or Moville's Mysteries
>>
Spaced Out. It's a pretty obscure show that was entirely lost until someone found a dvd of a couple of the episodes. It's one of those bizarro shows that seem utterly boring on the surface, but are surprisingly surreal beneath the surface. I recently re-watched and it holds up pretty well. What I didn't remember was the amount of innuendo they managed to get away with, but then again it is a French show. Also the artstyle is borderline expressionistic at times, so I know it wouldn't appeal to everyone. But if its something you might like, I'd say try it.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCO9rOCeisoGSJfpzK4fv6Vg/videos
>>
>>81934743
Why does this remind me of where in the world is carmen san diago?
>>
>>81936192
...Because it's a woman wearing a hat?
>>
>>81933742
This is the second time in my life i'e heard Silverwing being mentioned. I guess i will have to look that up.

It depends on what you have watched already. Tell me some.
I'll straight up recommend Gargoyles, and Pirates of Dark Waters.
They are not unknown but might be to the younger audience and are often considered good.
>>
>>81938894
The first two seasons of The Animals of Farthing Wood, may also be to your liking.
If you do watch it, only watch the first two. The third is garbage.
>>
>>81934588
>I am also a fan of obscure shit for obscurity's sake.

You mean you like being a hipster?
>>
>>>/wsr/
>>
>>81935407
Seconding Mina and the Count. Such a shame it never took off...
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.