[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What Simpsons characters do you think haven't gotten enough
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 6
File: thesimpsonseveryoneever800.jpg (151 KB, 646x484) Image search: [Google]
thesimpsonseveryoneever800.jpg
151 KB, 646x484
What Simpsons characters do you think haven't gotten enough screentime/been thoroughly explored?

I'd have to say Chief Wiggum, Maggie, maybe Barney, Sideshow Mel.
>>
>>81011013
>Sideshow Mel

Oh God no, he's one of the most annoying characters in the entire show.
>>
Jimbo / Dolph / Kearney. Would be interesting to find out more about their background and home lives.

Miss Hoover?
>>
>>81011013
The chinese baby
>>
I think that Maggie could still be fleshed out more.
>>
I like Herman a lot and I really wonder why they've never used him much, not even really getting many side appearances, but there's not much there to build on either because he hasn't appeared much. His design is cool, his shop's pretty interesting, and unlike someone like Bumblebee Man his existence isn't just tied to one joke.

Maybe Smithers in a role outside of just gay joke/playing the sidekick role while Burns does whatever. Both of those are obviously part of the character, but a few times they've had him attempting to sabotage Homer or even being kind of manipulative toward Burns in attempting to get with him, and that's way more interesting to me than just him making "subtle" sexual references in the background of an episode. Also maybe not downplaying that he's pretty damn evil too, having hidden nuclear waste in playgrounds, killed guys, etc. He's been in a ton of episodes but usually not as the focus.

Maybe Patty? Selma's gotten a decent amount of episodes and has even been slightly developed (about as much as a Simpsons character can be, anyway), but Patty's more or less just "the gay one" of the two.
>>
Marge's mom. Commonly mentioned as one of the most undeveloped characters.

Ling. Given that she's Selma's child, it's strange we don't see her more often.

Sideshow Mel. His backstory in All About Lisa was pretty good. I'd like to hear more about why he speaks in his grandiose voice.

Cletus (and family). Lately they've developed into the writers' dumping ground for any yokel/redneck jokes. They can definitely grow.

Lou and Eddie - It'd be interesting to see an episode where one of them take over Wiggum's job.

Barney - Definitely develop him. Just don't make him sober (removing his single most important characteristic: he's a drunk) like they did in Days of Wine and D'oh'ses. Still scratching my head on that move.

Dr. Nick/Dr. HIbbert - An episode about the two of them would be especially interesting. More interesting than another marriage crisis, at any rate.

Database - I remember Nancy Cartwright said he should get an episode.
Maggie - Just because she can't talk doesn't mean she is a weak character. If written correctly, I can definitely see an entire episode focused on Maggie. The writers have said before that Maggie couldn't carry a whole episode, which led to the making of The Longest Daycare, but given what sorts of gimmick episodes they've tried by now (Days of Future Future, Brick Like Me, etc.) I think it's worth a shot.
>>
>>81011505
Sideshow Mel is one of my favorite side characters. Especially when he's leading angry mobs.
>>
IIRC they never used Marge's mom much because she wasn't an interesting character plus Julie Kavner didn't like to do that voice.
>>
I hate it when Maggie does stuff that babies shouldn't be able to do (Midnight Towboy is the worst example of that, but I don't even like the subplot of A Streetcar Named Marge). But they can certainly use her... they've almost completely ignored the fact that Marge and Homer are raising a baby, and I would assume that that can be quite eventful. It seems like there would be many possible stories that could come from that.
>>
>>81012283
I feel like sometimes when they try to do this, it fails. A lot of people didn't like the episode about Willie and the one about Gil, examples of where they tried to take a minor character and flesh them out. Although it sounds interesting for some of these characters to be developed more, part of me questions how that well that would actually go down.

They have done episodes where Maggie is a major part of the plot but they often do involve her acting like a highly intelligent baby, which some people don't seem to like.
>>
>>81013198
You're right about a lot of that. Kill Gil was pretty awful, but I like to think that it's because Gil was a weak character to begin with. My Fair Laddy had good songs and a decent parody, but it doesn't match the rest of the musical episodes. It's not like there's a consistent track record the writers are currently trying to maintain. Go for an experiment; even if it's bad, it's more exciting than "Bart gets another girlfriend," and if it works, it would be really good.

As for Maggie, having her as a more intelligent baby doesn't bother me that much, which is one of the reasons I liked the subplots from A Streetcar Named Marge and Midnight Towboy. If it's for the sake of a spot-on parody (The Great Escape) or comic relief, I'm not opposed to them giving it a try.
>>
>>81012283
I agree Jacqueline and Ling are very underdeveloped. I've actually been mulling over a plot i'd like them to do, but I think most people here would hate it because people really don't like when things are added to the continuity.

Cletus...they ruined it of course, but for a little bit there in Moonshine River, he was a person.

They really need to develop Kumiko's character. I think she's just adorable, but she's so one-dimensional.
>>
>>81013468
God no, Kumiko was a mistake. CBG is supposed to be a fat loveless loser and that's that.
>>
I'd go with Maggie because she's got the most space between her head and the ceiling.
>>
I liked My Fair Laddy; first time they tried to flesh out Groundskeeper Willy as a character.
>>
>>81014086
I hate My Fair Laddy not because Willie wasn't strong enough a character to carry an episode, but because I hate musicals set in early 20th century England. It's kind of superficial, but I hate Supercalifragilisticexpiala-D'oh-cious for basically the same reason (there are other reasons too, though). As for Kill Gil, Gil is a character who wasn't strong enough to carry an episode or shouldn't even have been seen at all after Realty Bites.

I think Dr. Hibbert and Janey probably have the most potential. Dr. Hibbert because he seems like kind of an important character, but hasn't been developed very much. And Janey because she could potentially fill a role that isn't filled (i.e. Lisa's best friend).
>>
>>81011013
Let's not have Chief Wiggum thorougly explored by the current hack writers when they can't even handle making jokes about him and Ralph.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoGqA0OPAzc
>>
File: 1458510617066.jpg (113 KB, 624x480) Image search: [Google]
1458510617066.jpg
113 KB, 624x480
this guy
>>
File: images.jpg (9 KB, 298x169) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
9 KB, 298x169
It always bugs me how Lisa and Janey's friendship isn't very solid. Janey's only around when they need a second person for Lisa to interact with. Come on writers, Lisa and Janey for bffs.

(Don't you adore Janey's leather jacket?)

The writers missed the opportunity for years to draw a connection between Janey's implied crush on Milhouse and her shaky friendship with Lisa. It's too late now.
>>
>>81014593
Fuck off pedo
>>
>>81014614
Shame on you to accuse him of being a pedo or of wanting to see Lisa and Janey become friends solely because he fantasizes about them having a sleepover party and kissing each other on a truth-or-dare. And it's absolutely revolting how you think he wants to see the two showering together and washing each other's nether regions. Furthermore, I find it absolutely appalling that you then imagine Janey sliding a bar of soap along Lisa's crack as she moans with pleasure. Just imagine, you accuse him of wanting to see the two girls rubbing lotion on each other's backs in a sensual manner.

Some people, honestly.
>>
Hans Moleman obviously
>>
File: samylarry.gif (15 KB, 165x334) Image search: [Google]
samylarry.gif
15 KB, 165x334
>>
Developing characters is all about finding some interesting trait you can grab onto. Janey for example just has nothing to work with.
>>
File: image.png (1018 KB, 1485x1064) Image search: [Google]
image.png
1018 KB, 1485x1064
These two
>>
>>81015417
I hate Tress MacNeille, I really do.
>>
>>81011013

I kinda wished they did more with Richard, Lewis and Wendell. It be nice to see Bart interacting wither other kids that aren't just Millhouse and Nelson.
>>
>>81011013
Troy McClure hasn't shown up in years, I miss him.
>>
>>81015176
Fucking this, we know literally nothing about them other than they go to Moe's.
>>
>>81015862
>tfw there will never be an episode of the Simpsons where it cuts to a Troy McClure scene and he tells the viewer where they might remember him from
Why even continue watching?
>>
>>81011013
Grampa and Burns haven't had their lives "explored" enough, I feel (considering how old they are).
Also Fat Tony, Chief Wiggum Troy McClure and Lionel Hutz;_;
>>
File: Cigarette Throw.webm (315 KB, 406x720) Image search: [Google]
Cigarette Throw.webm
315 KB, 406x720
Marge's ass
Just not enough
>>
>>81016892
Holy shit this and I can't recall the last time Homer strangled Bart or even Bart prank calling Moe, with Moe graphically describing how he disembowel his prank caller.
>>
>>81018100
Actually the writers claimed they phased out the prank calls because they ran out of ones that weren't too lewd for network TV.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.