[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So do you think that the direction the animation industry is
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4
File: shelby improvement.png (323 KB, 714x887) Image search: [Google]
shelby improvement.png
323 KB, 714x887
So do you think that the direction the animation industry is going in the west is a good thing? It seems like theres been less of a focus on pure animation and more on storytelling. Steven Universe, Gravity Falls, Star Vs., and Adventure Time being some examples. Despite these shows having mostly mediocre animation they've been getting praise for their stories and characters.

Your thoughts?
>>
that pic is sad man
>>
>>80993338
Bad direction.
All they do is board and get their dicks sucked for creativity when all the heavy lifting is done by the koreans. It is not acceptable for the gooks to do both tweens and keys while the creators circlejerk on /co/ and tumblr
>>
File: 1421918056434.png (10 KB, 429x410) Image search: [Google]
1421918056434.png
10 KB, 429x410
>>80993911
>while the creators circlejerk on /co/ and tumblr

Yeah, this is something I noticed recently. Fandoms have been propping up the creators of popular shows as living memes. So many times I've seen people giving all the credit of SU to Rebeca Sugar despite her only being a small part of the big picture.
>>
>>80993338
it's supposed to be left old/right new or what?
>>
>>80993338
> less of a focus on pure animation and more on storytelling
>getting praise for their stories and characters

Sounds a lot like the mainstream Japanese animation industry too. What with their 4 frames per second and flappy unsynced mouths. Of course, most anime looks better in still frames than most western animation, so it gives the illusion that anime is "animated better".

But isn't it a good thing to have memorable stories and characters? Animation is nothing but a medium in which to achieve a goal. We dont praise books for good vocabulary and grammar, we praise those for stories and characters too don't we?
>>
>>80993338
Those pics were swapped, right?
>>
>>80993338
Why did you post a Homestuck troll?
Homestuck is not part of the animation industry. Shelby and her tumblr pandering is not any statement on animation.
>>
>>80996210
Because it shows how artists appropriate the styles of popular works. You'll rarely ever see artist drawing in "Uncle Grandpa style" or "Harvey Beaks style"
>>
>>80996380
you're a fucking idiot, I hope you know that
>>
Depressing man
I think the first one is pretty good
>>
>>80993338
those look like two completely different drawings, not just a redraw. I also hope for their sake that the left one is the new one.
>>
>>80993338
"Pure animation" hasn't been a thing since the 40s besides a few flash-in-the-pan things like John K. Animator driven shows are mostly awful, and even at their best tend to be nothing more than impressive technical feats.

Media works by telling stories.
>>
>>80996543
Sorry
>>
>>80993338
Not really grown, just changed.. A lot.

The first drawing looks to have its own style going for it. The second looks to be a falt out copying another.

Trying out other styles is not a bad thing but just copying others and calling it your worn is never a good thing.
>>
File: O5Hi0oa.png (55 KB, 509x362) Image search: [Google]
O5Hi0oa.png
55 KB, 509x362
>>
File: UHiobZU.png (178 KB, 600x475) Image search: [Google]
UHiobZU.png
178 KB, 600x475
>>
>>80993338
How is this pic even related she doesn't even animate
>>
At least she stopped drawing red noses
>>
>>80997088
>changing race in 2nd drawing to appeal to tumblr more
fucking
retarded
>>
>getting worse over time

This is the scary as fuck.
>>
>>80997215
This. 100000000x this. I came into the thread to say this.
>>
>>80995687
>But isn't it a good thing to have memorable stories and characters?
>he asks on /co/

Come the fuck on
>>
>>80993338
Okay I can see the technical improvements in the second picture, but I still don't like it. I wish I could articulate why. I am not /ic/

>>80997052
smashing the palette down, getting rid of perspective and shading, anatomy is much worse (where's her eyes? where's her thighbone? why's her right shoe glued to a stump?)
>>80997088
first one needed cleaning up the linework, and second one looks like it was done digitally but I don't know if the linework was autocleaned. the second one has terrible perspective (his head is in front of hers, but his ear is behind her skull? her torso is 1 1/2 heads tall? and the lines of action are a wavy overlapping mess)

It's cool to try new things; you don't learn without making mistakes. But instead of seeing "how far I've come" what stands out is how much you've forgotten. Keep at it, and don't forget to keep going to life-drawing classes.
>>
>>80993338
IMO the biggest problem in American animation has been the "cartoons = for kids" attitude. It affects everything; the most creative and ambitious creators will put their effort in live action, the expectations plotwise are really low and thus so is the effort, audiences won't give it a chance or will feel embarrassed for liking it "at their age", investors, execs, advertisers, budgets, awards etc, it's all one horrible self-sustaining vicious circle of "meh, it's for kid, talking animals and le dreamworks face is good enough".

A change of course towards actually ambitious storytelling is just what the industry needs. Fix the plot and the heart first, the outer presentation can be honed to perfection later.

A polished turd, however, will still be just a turd. I will much rather watch an actually compelling plot with genuinely interesting or at least multidimensional characters that's slightly crudely animated, than a perfectly animated piece of shit with a plot clearly aimed at 6-year-olds whose opinion no-one cares about.
>>
>>80999666
>I wish I could articulate why

For me its how the clothes lack any depth on their own and look painted on. The hair went from showing some form to a big piece of cotton candy, the nose also lacks any shading or form and is just a squiggly line.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.