[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does this movie still hold up? I hear people praise it as one
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 93
Thread images: 8
File: image.jpg (82 KB, 290x398) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
82 KB, 290x398
Does this movie still hold up? I hear people praise it as one of the greatest comic book movies of all time but looking back, it's just meh. Is it overrated?
>>
>>80991117
Not really. It was good for its time, and is still way better then the Amazing films, but its been surpassed by other cape films since and hasn't aged well.
>>
>>80991117
it was wolverine:origins tier shit and anyone who says otherwise is trolling
>>
Don't let anyone else tell you otherwise, this is the best cape movie of all time
>>
OHHHH NNNNNNNNOOOOOO
DDDDDOCTORRR CCCCCCOOOOONNNNNNOORRRRRRRRRRRR'SSS CCCCCLLLLLLLLLAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSS
>>
>>80991117
No. /co/ doesn't know how to take off the nostalgia goggles and judge something on it's own, so this board will just tell you it's the greatest thing ever and then proceed to just meme the fuck out of the thread.
>>
>>80991117
This movie is responsible for the GOAT Youtube poops.
>>
>>80991624
I would wager this movie got a good number of people who post here into comics.
>>
Best treatise on power and responsibility in a movie. 1 fumbled it, 2 nailed it, 3 doesn't exist. As a childhood fan of the Spider, this movie was wonderful.
>>
>>80991719
No doubt.
>>
>>80991117
>That's a cute costume, did your husband make it for you?
Was Spider-Man the first superhero movie to feature a married homosexual couple?
>>
>>80991117
>Does this movie still hold up?
Subjective

>Is it overrated?
Objectively so. There are some people here with such a hard on for the Raimi trilogy that they think Toby was the ultimate Peter Parker, and want everything Spider-Man to be changed to match the movie

I don't personally like the trilogy at all, but I can understand others liking it, that being said it is most definitely overrated by some who are viewing it with rose colored glasses/nostalgia goggles, some people just can't be critical about it because it was a part of their childhood
>>
>>80991117
it still a decent superhero movie
>>
I feel like it's the first of the new generation of good comic book movies. Spawn didn't really score with a lot of people, the X-Mem movies have aged like milk, and the first Spider-Man was hammy. This one showed that they can actually be worth watching.
>>
MCU technically wouldn't exist without a really successful cape film. I mean X-Men made money but Spiderman was huge.
>>
>>80991117
Oh it's overrated but not egregiously so. The entirety of the Mary Jane sublpot is melodramatic garbage and it eats up a ton of the movie. Just not enough of it to keep the rest of it from being great.
>>
File: Spidey Jump.gif (4 MB, 400x217) Image search: [Google]
Spidey Jump.gif
4 MB, 400x217
>>80991117
As far as I'm considered its still the best movie in the capeshit genre

The sole weak point to me is Doc Ock's depth, but this movie strictly focuses on Peter Parker, so I'm perfectly fine with it.
>>
>>80991117
As a cape movie, sure its one of the better ones. As just a movie, its ok. Don't expect to be weeping tears of joy by the end. High expectations will kill this movie.
>>
IT HOLDS UP BETTER THAN BATMAN V SUPERMAN
>>
>>80991904
>the X-Mem movies have aged like milk, and the first Spider-Man was hammy. This one showed that they can actually be worth watching.

How was this movie any less hammy than Spider-Man 1? Do you not remember the raindrops scene? Every scene with Aunt May? Spider-Mans erectile disfunction joke that was basically the plot?

Also the X-Men movies have aged way better than Spider-Man, the only thing people complain about those is NOT MUH X TEAM, TOO MUCH WOLVERINE, BLACK LEATHER IS DATED

None of those complaints have anything to do with the movies
>>
>>80992628
I thought Spider-Man's erectile dysfunction was the plot of 3.
>>
Eh. Its better then the Amazing series.
>>
>>80991352
The train scene alone refutes this

They even made a little mini documentary because it was received so well
>>
>>80991117
Even at the time, I liked the first one better.
>>
>>80991117
It is overrated as fuck.
>>
I didn't see it until the day 3 came out
But yeah I think it was my favorite of the trilogy
>>
File: 1215584.jpg (102 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1215584.jpg
102 KB, 640x480
>>80991117
Definitely the best of Raimi's Spider-Man films but I like the first one more. The fight between Willem Dafoe and Spider-Man at the end was great.
>>
>>80991624
You know you could have and state an actual original opinion rather than just bitching about other's and you'd actually contribute to the thread rather than this shitposting about shitposting.
>>
>>80991117
I used to think it was the best of the trilogy and one of the best superhero movies but after rewatching it a couple months ago, I gotta say it's kinda weak. Too much focus on boring/pointless subplots (the romantic stuff and Spidey arbitrarily losing his powers) and in retrospect, this seems to be where superhero movies starting going really heavy on the unnecessary, overlong CGI sequences. Also, as good as Molina is he just can't compete with Dafoe's Green Goblin.

Basically, the first Raimi Spider-Man is still the GOAT. Watch that one again.
>>
We've got S2 to thank for modern superhero movies at the least. X-men was already down the shitter and batman hadn't even Begun yet.
>>
>>80995263

>the finale

That feel when you'll never relive that first time watch again
>>
>>80995468
You're an idiot
>>
File: ITS YOU WHOS OUT GOBBY.jpg (73 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
ITS YOU WHOS OUT GOBBY.jpg
73 KB, 1280x720
I like the first better for a lot of reasons, but ultimately the big thing is the difference in villains

I could quote fucking 90% of the things Goblin said, but Octopus was just so boring
Great for fight scenes, but Dafoe goddamn lived the part
The man INSISTED on doing as many of his own stunts because he wanted to BE Gobby

Having a villain who feels like they have a genuine presence is one of the most important parts of a superhero movie and 2 focuses too much on Peter drama to let Octopus chew the scenery a bit
>>
>>80991117
Well it didn't age sort of well. Not in the "Frank Millar decaying into what could be a corpse" kind of way but in the more in that "celebrity that can prove that he has a lot of talent but really let himself go" kind of way.

Still a solid movie with great moments.
>>
At the time of its release it was a really good superhero movie. It also had the absolute best movie tie-in games I can recall outside of Ghostbusters: The Video Game. Since then the genre has gotten a lot stronger so earlier examples don't stand up as well. I'm pretty sure it's still the best of the Spider Man films overall.
>>
Trust me, it holds up. Watched it again on blu ray last year and it's better than I remembered. Saw it as a kid and now as and adult a little older than Peter is in the movie it actually connected to me even better than before. Also Spidey's suit looks absolutely gorgeous on blu ray.
>>
>>80996246
I watched it twice this month and it stinks on ice
>>
Nah. For as much as Spider-Man 2 has character development and slows down the pacing, much of it goes against the first movie and the motivations still aren't believable.

Spider-Man 1, despite being cheesy and more dated in its special effects, ends up having the better story.
>>
File: 1386476927069.png (902 KB, 1280x688) Image search: [Google]
1386476927069.png
902 KB, 1280x688
SM2 and SM3 would've been better movies and held up more if everything involving Mary Jane were removed.

>annoying damsel
>ditches a man at the alter
>coquettes around with her closest friends
>thinks her mediocre plays are more important than saving lives

The more the years pass by, the more I agree with hardcore fans that said MJ should've died or Gwen Stacy should've been introduced sooner. That or remove the romance all together. The Harry/Peter subplots were good enough on their own.
>>
>>80995648
go on
>>
>>80991117
It's "okay". If you want so bad it's funny watch 3.
>>
I actually love the atmosphere of this trilogy. I don't know why, but it made NYC feel like a world. Everything felt big and epic. The MCU for some reason feels really small. The fact that every other character has ties with another character could be one of the reasons.
>>
>>80991117
>Does this movie still hold up?
Yes.

>Is it overrated?
At the the time of it's release, no.

Along with X-Men, it was responsible for making capeshit movies what it is today.
>>
>>80995798
Little known fact: Dafoe improvised ALL of his lines.

He didn't even know he was being filmed. That was just his regular weekend.
>>
>>80991805
underrated post

anyway i watch raimi's spiderman probably every other month or so just because i have it on vhs and ill say that the fx still look awesome, all the stunts still hit hard, and franco, maguire and dunst have great chemistry. Also dafoe is an amazing villain with an awesome costume, i love his gobby so much.
also the suit design has forever ruined live action spiderman for me.

because the suit that maguire wore just looked so good, seriously, new spiderman looks so lame compared to him
>>
>>80991904
False. That was Blade.
>>
>>80999427
>awesome costume
Heh...HAH HAH HAH
Goblins suit pissed me off as a fucking kid man, no joke...I was like why is my favorite villain dressed up in a robot Power Ranger outfit

>because the suit that maguire wore just looked so good
Pic related was better
>>
>>80998823

I'd say it's more because of the amount of time spent just watching CGI Spidey swing around in the city with a tracking camera. It's the kind of thing that makes you feel like you're there, but today no one bothers with that kind of "superfluous" eye candy.
>>
>>80991117
It's still the best capeshit and it's not shy that it's capeshit.
>>
>>81000494
No it isn't
>>
>>81000452
I think it's also the larger than life score too.
>>
>>81001482
ASM2 had a much larger score....not counting the Electro dubstep, that was awful
>>
>>80995410
He did state his opinion and then said that most answers will be warped by nostalgia and not to take them at face value. He was bitchy about it but with good reason considering all the nostalgia wanking on this board.
>>
File: 3756e.jpg (68 KB, 425x542) Image search: [Google]
3756e.jpg
68 KB, 425x542
>>80999950
It may not have been faithful, but damn if Dafoe didn't look menacing baring his teeth behind the mask's set of teeth.
>>
>>81001482
Scores definitely a part of it. Danny Elfman was the bomb back in the day. For as light most of the Marvel movies are they all have generic blockbuster soundtracks and it looks like DC is on the Zimmer train who companies love for some reason. All of Zimmer's shit is the most generic boring garbage and it all sounds exactly the same.
>>
>>81002361
More laughable, I say
>>
>>80991683
this incredibly correct post is being ignored
>>
>>81005389
Sorry but I pretty much exclusively watch KOTH YTP.
>>
>>80998823
>atmosphere
Say what you will about Raimi's movies not being true to comics, but the atmosphere/tone-wise first movies nailed Lee/Ditko's run very well.
That's what Webb's movies were lacking. It felt like yet another teen movie, instead of a comic.
>>
>>81006894
>but the atmosphere/tone-wise first movies nailed Lee/Ditko's run very well.
>That's what Webb's movies were lacking. It felt like yet another teen movie, instead of a comic.

They were a parody of what people though comics were, generic hero vs generic villain, that was it.

No dickhead in Parker, and corniness shoved in because "COMICS ARE CORNY"
>>
>>80991683
Chump Manbear

Top Kek
>>
>>81009569
Not your retarded ass again.
>talking about the tone of the movies
>HURR RAIMI'S MOVIES SUCKED BECAUSE MUH CORNYNESS
>>
>>80991117
kill yourself
>>
Easily the best of the Spider-Man movies. Along with X2, it was in that weird area where the 2nd movie of the trilogy is the best of all three.
>>
>>81002497
>All of Zimmer's shit is the most generic boring garbage and it all sounds exactly the same.
This is just factually wrong. You can't with a straight face say the Sherlock movies OST sound the same as Interstellar or his DC movies. I can see an argument that all of his DC work sounds the same - though I would disagree - but all of his work in general? No, just no.
>>
>>80991264
This, but there are parts that are just MANLY TEARS for me. Particularly the train.
>>
>>81009707
I am in every Spider-Man thread
Also, you said literally nothing in your post, good job
>>
>>80999036
>Dafoe improvised ALL of his lines.

He did? That's pretty IMPRESSIVE
>>
>>80991916
>what is Blade
>>
>>80991624
>>81002083
SAME FAG DETECTED!
>>
>>81012995
You know, sometimes an actor of his caliber has to go BACK TO FORMULA
>>
>>81013081
a series of action films that most people didn't even know was based on a comic book.
>>
>>80991117
it was great at the time of release (the late 90s/early 00s were an awful time for cape films), and it still holds up pretty well
a few cheese moments, but what else can you expect from raimi
the dashboard confessional in the credits fucking kills me, I laughed at that when I saw it in theaters, and I was 14 at the time
>>
>>81013184
X-Men was loved by adults and kids alike, Spider-Man was for kids strictly
>>
>>80999950
ASM2 suit is amazing, honestly it's the best one to date by a long shot.

I think Marvel's is the worst one, seriously what the fuck is up with the new suit.
>>
>>80991117
Spidey 1 is still probably my favourite comic book movie of all time, but 2 is a better film.

I think they're every bit as good as they were back then but that could be nostalgia.
>>
>>80991904
>the X-Mem movies have aged like milk
X2 is still easily the best X-Men movie.
>>
>>80991352
But I liked the Wolverine movies. I liked all of the Spider-Man movies and Captain America movies too. I enjoyed the Avenges movies, but SM2 is my favorite superhero one, I shit you not.
>>
>>80997273
>everything involving Mary Jane were removed
Thank you.

>>80997273
>Harry/Peter
As long as you mean by way of brotherhoo/friendship, then I agree. But it seems like we can't get a movie focusing on friendship between two people of the same sex without someone screaming, "I SHIP IT OMGLGBTQTG!"

2004 was a good year. SM2, the movie, San Andreas, Prince of Persia. Good times.
>>
Raimi Spiderman 2 is one of the best,
>>
>>81012158
No wonder Spider-Man threads are pure cancer.
>you said literally nothing
Except what I said has more substance than your obnoxious bitching.
I told you this before and I'll tell you again: kill yourself.
>>
>>80991117
No, it aged like milk. The pacing is too quick and the motives of Dr. Octopus are so sudden, contrived and his resolution is ultimately convenient for the sake of convenience. There's WAY too much focus on Peter Parker who does nothing but cry every other scene, and his love interest is abusive and mean spirited, which is a disgrace to the source material

2/5

The joke in my post is that I'm reviewing this movie as if it came out in 2016 based on the criticisms of Man of Steel, Amazing Spider-Man and Fantastic Four
>>
>>81013291
Pure

A S T H E T I C
>>
>>81014515
>Man of Steel, Amazing Spider-Man and Fantastic Four

the joke is the implication that any of those shit films are as good.
>>
>>81014515
there's no punchline, everything you said is correct
>>
>>81014577
So is this one
>>
>>81014468
Fuck of nostalgia faggot, you are the cancer. You have no taste and you don't read comics.

ASM (the entire trilogy) is utter ass, it's fucking infantile garbage that only somebody who heard what comic books are like would imagine they are. Peter Parker is not Peter Parker, he is the most juvenile of generic stereotypes of a crybaby 1960s nerd that he never even was in the original comic books. His Spider-Man is something akin to the Adam West Batman only somehow even less charismatic and far less original, and let's not get started on everything else wrong with these dogshit movies for vapid morons.
>>
>>81014715
I realize I said ASM I meant to say "the Raimi trilogy"
>>
>>81014715
>One More Day is canon

Peter Parker is a pathetic shit. You must come to terms with this, Anon.
>>
>>81014715
>N-NOSTALGIA
>NOT MUH
>Y-YOU DON'T READ COMICS
Jesus Christ, you're annoying. I can't decide who's worse: the "Vixen is shit because she's not popular" or you, but shut the fuck up already. You shit up every Raimi Spider-Man thread with low-quality attempts at argumentation that boil down to butthurt "WAHH NOT MUH EVERYONE WHO DISAGREES IS WRONG NOSTALGIA GOGGLES WAHH" and being a generally annoying shitcunt.

How pathetic do you have to be to do that every fucking time?

Kill yourself. It'd set you free. Kill yourself.
>>
>>81014866
You should kill yourself for liking awful movies.
>>
>>81014715
that butthurt lmfao

just end yourself, child
>>
File: 1431051609394.png (369 KB, 289x460) Image search: [Google]
1431051609394.png
369 KB, 289x460
>>81015875
>he likes the raimi movies
>calls someone else a child
Thread replies: 93
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.