[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What sense does it make for The Punisher to exist in the Marvel
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 9
File: punisher.jpg (209 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
punisher.jpg
209 KB, 1280x960
What sense does it make for The Punisher to exist in the Marvel universe? Being immune to bullets or superstrength aren't precisely rare. All logic dictates that the first time he tried to go against a superpowered person he'd get turned to gibs within minutes, no matter what kind of military training he got.

It's even more bullshit than Batman doing the same, because Batman at least has other "superpowers" than his enormous plot armor in the form of money and a supposedly genius-level intellect. And with his track record, organized crime from all over the world not to mention the police and probably some armies as well would be on his ass 24/7.

Even if he was able to go toe to toe with superpowered individuals out of sheer luck or a impossible amount of cunning, he's a squishy normal person. With the amount of violence he sees, there should already have been a lucky shot that caused enough damage to end his vigilante career decades ago. In fact, a lucky shot wouldn't be it, any sniper should be capable of aiming at the guy with the huge skull covering his torso.

A large amount of soldiers who see any combat end up with significant hearing damage. He'd be deaf by this point.
>>
Read a fucking book.
>>
File: batman_share.jpg (354 KB, 1200x630) Image search: [Google]
batman_share.jpg
354 KB, 1200x630
>>80985578
What sense does it make for The Batman to exist in the DC universe? Being immune to batarangs or superstrength aren't precisely rare. All logic dictates that the first time he tried to go against a superpowered person he'd get turned to gibs within minutes, no matter what kind of ninja training he got.
It's even more bullshit than Punisher doing the same, because Frank at least has other "superpowers" than his enormous plot armor in the form of guns and a supposedly Frank-level intellect. And with his track record, organized crime from all over the world not to mention the police and probably some armies as well would be on his ass 24/7.
Even if he was able to go toe to toe with superpowered individuals out of sheer luck or a impossible amount of cunning, he's a squishy normal person. With the amount of violence he sees, there should already have been a lucky shot that caused enough damage to end his vigilante career decades ago. In fact, a lucky shot wouldn't be it, any sniper should be capable of aiming at the guy with the mouth hole right on his mask.
A large amount of soldiers who see any combat end up with significant hearing damage. He'd be deaf by this point.
>>
>>80985736
I said that it doesn't make sense myself, it just makes SLIGHTLY more sense for a billionaire supergenius to pull off that shit than some random psychotic Marine.
>>
>>80985578

These complaints are likely what resulted in the maligned "oh, he's demonically backed" retcons from Purgatory and Born.
>>
Comics are just dumb, you just have to accept it.

I mean, the Punisher is somehow allowed to reign free in the same city where half the X-men, Spider-man, the Fantastic Four, and Daredevil operate in. It is also the site of the fucking Avengers' HQ.
>>
His superpower is guns, idiot.
>>
>>80985578

MCU babies don't realize that Frank is one of the only decent Marvel characters. Don't want him in the company because he will never appear in a Disney movie LOL shills
>>
>>80985578

in the MU, about 70% of the common crime isnt done by super powered people, at least not the point where they are immune to bullets or whatever sci fi weapons frank has access to.
>>80985832

it would make sense thematically, but it shouldn't be needed for him to work as a char
>>
Punisher continues to exist in the Marvel Universe because most superheroes ignore him. He deals with crime bosses while guys like Avengers focus on super-villain threats (or each other if it's a summer event).

Even if Punisher encountered a superhuman during his murder spree, he'd just throw a flashbang and move on with his night of killing mobsters. It's not a flashy answer, but its the truth.
>>
>>80985898
This is true, you can tell who a real Marvel fan is when they like Punisher and who the babie shills are when they like someone in the MCU
>>
>>80985578
Before I ever even knew the Punisher existed, I played Metal Gear Solid. A guy with no superpowers takes down bosses that have a range of goofy abilities, and I had to do it all myself. I never learned to think of superpowers as being that special against a guy who operates well.
Frank Castle certainly operates well.
>>
>>80985898
>>80986301
Is Punisher Max a good way to get into him?
>>
He's an action Hero, he ain't got to explain shit.
>>
>>80986554
If he's an action hero, how come he doesn't make puns every time he kills someone?
>>
>>80986515
Yes. But you'll be disappointed that nearly any other Punisher comic you read after isn't as good. MAX Frank is muh Frank.

>>80986589
He's the Punisher, not the PUN-isher.
>>
>>80986623
>you'll be disappointed that nearly any other Punisher comic you read after isn't as good
Well that's less money I have to spend. Thanks.
>>
>>80986515
Yes
>>
>>80986623
>MAX Frank is muh Frank
I hate fags like this
>>
>>80986589
They get Franked.

What more pun is needed?
>>
>>80985578
How many superpowered characters are known to exist in the Marvel Universe? I'm sure it's a lot, let's say it's even 1,000.

The earth has a population of 7 billion. Still plenty of regular crooks to run into
>>
>>80986589
He's not that crazy. But for a serious answer, He's the action hero taken to its logical conclusion. Think about your favorite action heroes, now think of the mindset that allows them to do the things they do.
>>
>>80986654
It's okay to have terrible taste, anon.
>>
>>80985736
>Frank-level intellect

I kek'd
>>
>>80985578
Because he usually goes after street-level criminals (e.g. gangsters, rapists, and serial killers), and most superheroes tend to ignore him because they're busy with bigger fish (supervillains, terrorists, conspiracies, aliens, Galactus, the end of the world, etc.). If Frank comes across any supervillains (which is rather rare), he tends to stick with the lower echelons (think Shocker and Beetle, not Doctor Doom and Magneto), and he's not opposed to bringing out heavier-duty weapons (usually scavenged supervillain tech) to kill them with.
>>
>>80985736
>Being immune to batarangs
Yet they work everytime.
>>
>>80986654
>tfw no one wants to even bring up the older comics.
They vary in quality, but the good ones are quite entertaining.
>>
>>80986735
Come to think of it, what (other than LOL DOOMBOT) would stop Frank from putting a high-caliber projectile through Doom's shiny metal face from a half a mile away?
>>
>>80986768
Comic book logic.
>>
>>80986746
This. I've been reading Punisher since it came out, so it's sad to see so many people dismiss everything except MAX
>>
>>80986034
Well it is a flashy answer if it's a flashbang
>>
>>80986735
>>80986768
I think I read somewhere that Nick Fury's plan for Doom getting too out of hand is 'Drop the Punisher on one end of Latveria, the Hulk on the other and see who reaches the middle first.'
>>
>>80987085

It's from Bendis's Secret War.
>>
>>80987085
Not to hate on Nick but what if the Hulk turns around?
>>
>>80985875
Y'know how in real life, once in a while we'll get some story about a grandma or some unassuming family ventilating a thief, rapist, home invader, or some other garden-variety criminal with excessive force that decided to fuck with them, and once it makes the rounds on the usual networks, you'll get the media and politicians screaming things like COME ON PEOPLE IT'S JUST STUFF DID YOU REALLY NEED TO BRANDISH YOUR MURDERTOYS ON SOMEONE WHO WAS JUST TRYING TO MAKE ENDS MEET, while everyone else in the country might not be praising it publically, while also feeling they could ever make that decision when put in that situation, but are secretly-happy that one more fuckhead got a dose of vitamin Beretta, and hope that it continues happening when someone especially-dangerous fucks with the wrong person

The non-Punisher element is that "everyone else"
>>
>>80987152
Oh Anon, you so silly.
>>
>>80985832
>Born
MAX Punisher isn't demonically backed, the voice is supposed to be metaphorical and there is no evidence of actual superpowers in any of Ennis' MAX books
>>
>>80987278
Now I'm not an experienced secret-agent man, but it seems to be there's a serious flaw in that plan and I'd like it addressed.
>>
My question is, how does he hide?
>>
>>80987405
It's New York, even Zilla was able to hide there.
>>
>>80987293
>>80987293

Ennis said that it could go either way, but yeah, it being metaphorical was his original intention.
>>
>>80987296
Hulk will run in the direction of whatever is shooting at him, all while screaming that he just wants to be left alone

It's only a matter of time before he would be at Doomstadt

Doomstadt would throw him into the future where his evil is law, but no chance he'd turn around
>>
In what comic does Frank get the Solid Snake beard? I want to read that shit.
>>
It does stand to reason that a very high-powered villain might decide to move over to a non-powered hero's territory.
Batman could never handle Superman's rogues.
>>
>>80985736
The story "justifies" Batman's existence by Gotham being super corrupt and him having god tier ninja training and assassin training and a fuck ton of high tech gear. Frank is "just" a Spec Ops guy
>>
>>80989532
Greg Rucka's run
>>
>>80989606
He handles a few of them with a lot of tech and firepower. See Loeb's B/S book when he takes on Metallo

And uses a fake Superman robot suit to take on whatshisface
>>
>>80989738
Thanks, friend.
>>
>>80986768

I asume that someone as Doom must be used to assassination attempts and takes the adecuate measures to protect himself from the most common (and uncommon) ones.
>>
File: image.jpg (74 KB, 250x380) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
74 KB, 250x380
>>80986654
Yeah, Ennis's run is good, but i think The Punisher loses something when he operates in a segregated, superheroless world. There are plenty of generic action heroes in the comics medium, it's a waste when you have a character who takes place in this big universe to basically bench, well, the rest of the universe under the premise that it throws off the tone.

Plus, this notion that it's Ennis is the end all be all Punisher writer is just... So limiting, especially with guys like Chuck Dixon back in the day, and Matt Fraction and Rick Remenderb is more recent centuries. Idk, it'd be like saying Miller is the only DD writer worth reading.

Pic related was the first comic I ever bought, so maybe I'm a bit biased in digging stories where Frank's actually engaged in the larger Marvel U.
>>
>>80986768
Most of Doom's bullshit isn't the kind of thing that Frank probably cares about, I don't think he cares who rules the world or has the magic crystal of whatever, so long as Doom is mostly keeping civilians out of the line of fire I don't think the Punisher is going to go out of his way to engage the guy.
>>
File: tumblr_msoupcKNj61rra8xoo1_1280.jpg (525 KB, 1086x1086) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_msoupcKNj61rra8xoo1_1280.jpg
525 KB, 1086x1086
>>80990463
I'll just leave this here.
>>
>>80987085
Not much of a plan. Doom probably has some super radiation sucking counter measure or something else to remove him from the field rather than KO him.

Punhiser is just a guy with guns.
>>
Frank endures because he hides in the shadows of Marvel New York. He keeps to himself, picks his targets, and keeps his profile relatively low. The superheroes have other things to worry about.

And yes, every now and then he runs into some street tough with superpowers but it isn't that often. Mutants aside, superpowers are still relatively rare even in Marvel. People who have them represent a very small fraction of the population.

Besides, this is also a world with super high tech that's available to people who have enough money or can obtain it illegally. If Frank really, really needs to take down or at least neutralize a superpowered target, he can always ask Micro to get him the right stuff.
>>
File: Punisher+4+-+superPunisher[1].jpg (67 KB, 500x761) Image search: [Google]
Punisher+4+-+superPunisher[1].jpg
67 KB, 500x761
>>80992105
>If Frank really, really needs to take down or at least neutralize a superpowered target, he can always ask Micro to get him the right stuff.

I love it when he takes old superhero/supervillain stuff and uses it, couldn't find the picture but him coming gliding on a Goblin-glider with a bunch of other tech was great.
>>
>>80992105

>If Frank really, really needs to take down or at least neutralize a superpowered target, he can always ask Micro to get him the right stuff.

Micro's dead (again).

His new weapons guy is named Tuggs, though I doubt well see him again, as Punisher characters tend not to carry over from one run to another.
>>
File: dpsk_05_009.jpg (298 KB, 768x804) Image search: [Google]
dpsk_05_009.jpg
298 KB, 768x804
>>80992442
>>
>>80985578
Comic books aren't about sense.
>>
>>80992823
I really wouldn't mind if Punisher basically became "Taskmaster - tech edition", i.e just copying peoples tech and taking his villains gadgets and uses them.
>>
>>80986034
Then why doesn't he kill the Kingpin?
>>
File: 2444617-the_punisher_v4_02.jpg (348 KB, 955x1475) Image search: [Google]
2444617-the_punisher_v4_02.jpg
348 KB, 955x1475
>>80986623
>>80986589
>>
>>80993034
Not a fan of the idea of copying people's tech. Stealing's fine but Frank's just a vet, not a scientist. And if it were to be his foil that would be the one copying the tech then I feel it cheapens the supposed brilliance of Marvel's big brains if their tech could be copied by someone without their budget.
>>
>>80993067

He tries every now and then, but Fisk is a bit hard to get to.

Plus there's the old "evil power vacuum" cliche to worry about.
>>
>>80993067
The Kingpin keeps his bases covered.
>>
>>80993236
No, English isn't my first language, I actually meant that he'd use their tech, as in steal it and I somehow used "copy" as in being a copycat for some stupid reason.

Oh well, I meant using other people's tech.
>>
>>80993250
Seems to me like Frank could step into that vacuum and get a lot of work done with the Kingpin's resources before they ran out.
>>
>>80993545
Yeah, I won't even begin to list why that wouldn't work but considering Frank would just up and murder everyone who steps into Kingpin's office, which means people would just stop going there and Punisher would sit there, all alone, aiming at the door.
>>
File: 1452828145097.jpg (3 KB, 148x136) Image search: [Google]
1452828145097.jpg
3 KB, 148x136
>>80985578
you have never read a punisher comic book, have you?
>>
>>80987507
It's bullshit either way and I fucking hated it.
>>
>>80986623

Not quite. War Journal was damn good, especially under Dixon. You can skip the angel crap though. Frankencastle...depends on your taste. I'm only up to jigsaw's return on the newer stuff but it's been decent.
>>
>>80993714
Could be a pretty comfy downtime issue. He could reminisce about Vietnam with a thug whose legs he had broken, hoping to lure others in with his screams.
Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.