[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why was Iron Man 2 bad? I'm asking because I don't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: iron_man_int_1200.jpg (489 KB, 1200x1768) Image search: [Google]
iron_man_int_1200.jpg
489 KB, 1200x1768
Why was Iron Man 2 bad?

I'm asking because I don't remember. I only saw it once, and I remember leaving the theater feeling really disappointed, and that's about all I can recall.

So what were the aspects of the film that made it so mediocre and forgettable in the eyes of most people?
>>
Who gives a shit, watch the film and decide for yourself what you liked and didn't like.
>>
The second act suffers from Favreau being forced to shoehorn in a bunch of SHIELD characters and expository backstory to help set up plot points in Cap and Avengers 1, and not being allowed to do the "Demon in a Bottle" story he obviously wanted to.

So, after Tony has a knock-down, drag-out drunken brawl with Rhodey, Pepper and Happy disappear from the movie for about 45 minutes. It's never explained how the military can get away with just having one of their own steal somebody's private property, even if he was being a drunken idiot, which they don't really address anyway. Even FURY is incredulous at the illegality of that plot twist. And Hammer passing it off as his own just by slapping on guns is doubly ridiculous... as much as I love Sam Rockwell, was there any reason for him to personally show off the guns, other than "oh shit we've given him nothing else to do in the second act"? No, there wasn't. That whole bit was poorly conceived, the Ex-Wife joke is fairly good, but it goes out on a joke they stole from The Terminator. And, again, it contributes nothing to the plot. You could just show the War Machine suit with added firepower later and nobody would go "WHERE DID THE MILITARY-INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX GET ALL THOSE GUNS?"

Speaking of getting things, why did Tony need to go all the way back to Stark Tower to get the model of the Stark Expo? Why couldn't it have just been in his basement, so we could go right from the emotional catharsis of his dad's message to him realizing its meaning. But, again, they realized "Oh shit, we haven't given Pepper or Happy any screentime in almost an hour, better fix that", so they pencilled in "Int. Office Day - RDJ and Gwyneth Paltrow ad lib for five minutes." Because, while they were filming IM1, the script was constantly changing and so a lot of the bits between Tony and Obadiah that made it into the movie were ad libbed. But RDJ and Jeff Bridges can improvise well together; Gwyneth Paltrow is giving Tony nothing to work with.
>>
>>81900729
So, you get RDJ awkwardly failing to apologize and, failing to get any response from Paltrow to act off of, falls back on pointing out the big annoying distraction in the frame - which shows they KNEW it was annoying and distracting, so why leave it in? I guess they thought this was all cute and funny, but it all felt sub-Gilmore Girls to me. And again, did we need to SEE Tony buy strawberries? Would the audience have gone 'WHERE DID HE GET FRUIT FROM? PLOT HOLE!" otherwise? It's just more pointless filler fluff.

So after that monologue, because a dialogue means an exchange of ideas, Tony THEN goes home with the Stark Expo model and resolves the plot point that came up what by then feels like a lifetime ago. And this whole sequence is especially bad when you remember Coulson was supposed to be babysitting him, and threatened "If you try to leave the house, I'll taze you in the balls" basically. If he's supposed to be effective at his job, why is Tony able to come and go from his house as he pleases? Was there a cut scene of Tony sneaking out behind the couch while Phil watches TV like a kid sneaking out behind his babysitter's back? It just makes everyone look stupid, including the continuity checkers.

And last, Tony spends a grand total of 20 minutes in the movie worried about Ivan Vanko, and the remaining 98% convinced he's dead. As fun as Rockwell and Rourke were, they were WASTED, man. They really needed to do more stuff besides building drones - also, why the fuck was Hammer so butthurt at getting drones instead of suits? Vanko was right - "Drone bettur." The IRL military would agree, and I'm sure none of Hammer's clients would mind not having to train/risk their own pilots.
>>
Everyone constantly talks over each other. The whole thing seems improvised, which it probably is, but good improvisation isn't that transparent.
>>
>>81901250
Right, yeah, the "let's just let our cast ad lib off of each other!" approach really only works when there's more substance to the character arcs. Bridges can passably ad lib as Stane, because he has the relatively complex role of "manipulative mentor who genuinely wants his prodigy to go back to the way things were", as opposed to just Pepper "I'M MAD AT TONY DESPITE BEING PROMOTED TO HIS OLD JOB CUZ I'VE GOT SAND IN MY VAGINA" Potts or Justin "I'm hilariously insecure and that's it." Hammer.
>>
>>81901185
man anon I have a fucking hard on because of you now.

I really hope they bring back Hammer and Vanko.
>>
File: rockwell-500x211.png (159 KB, 500x211) Image search: [Google]
rockwell-500x211.png
159 KB, 500x211
>>81901412
>man anon I have a fucking hard on because of you now.
>>
>>81898144
It's a fun movie.
>>
I don't wanna make a thread just for this but I was rewatching TWS and took a look at Cap's bookshelf. He's got a bunch of books on WWII and Presidents including one on Obama, so my question is what number President is Ellis?
>>
>>81898144
>Why was Iron Man 2 bad?

STOP MAKING THESE THREADS.

"Why does /co/ hate X?" isn't an acceptable reason to start a fucking thread. We are not a hivemind. We are not /v/. Fuck off if all you can do is talk about hating everything, shitfucker.
>>
>>81902685
I think you can safely pretend that Civil War takes place in 2017. It's not like there'll be any real difference. technology-or-culture-wise, unless of course this election leads to an ACTUAL civil war.
>>
It was really boring. I can't even remember what the plot was.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.