[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does DC refuse to reprint stories from the Bronze Age? There
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4
File: Batman_Strange_Apparitions_TP.jpg (92 KB, 400x600) Image search: [Google]
Batman_Strange_Apparitions_TP.jpg
92 KB, 400x600
Why does DC refuse to reprint stories from the Bronze Age? There are a bunch of critically acclaimed arcs from that period, but the only way to get them is to spend $50 on an old copy.
>>
>>80964004
They recently reprinted (most) of the Wagner/Grant?Breyfogle 'Tec/Batman run into a nice HC. That was the Bats run I grew up on and is considered a definitive version of the character.
>>
>>80964802
That specific run wasn't in the bronze age.
>>
File: Ra's.jpg (446 KB, 1119x751) Image search: [Google]
Ra's.jpg
446 KB, 1119x751
You'd think at least stories like this would get reprinted. Denny O'Neil is among the biggest names in Batman history and this is his most famous story, and yet it hasn't been in print in at least 10 years.
>>
>>80964802
What issues is that?
>>
>>80965097
Pretty sure this one is reprinted in that Ra's al Ghul collection. Can't remember what it's called ("Tales of the Demon" or something?), but it has the first few O'Neil/Adams Batman/Ra's stories.
>>
If you're willing to look you can find the 1980s "Shadow of the Batman" comics that reprinted this run in five double sized issues. I got all five in a dollar bin a couple years ago.
>>
>>80965104
Ooookay it starts with a two part Ratcatcher arc in...587 ('Tec), then is uninterrupted 'til I think 598 or 599 for the Samm Hamm (dude who wrote first Bats film)/Denys Cowan 600th Anniversary issues. I believe Grant/Breyfogle came back for maybe 6 or 7 isues, then moved to Batman for about 14? issues (can't remember the numbers. All of those Tec stories are gold, most are single issues or to parters, Grant created lots of amazing new characters and apart from the Mudd Pack arc, a Penguin three-ish arc and a Catman single issue they were all new villains. Ever read the aboroiginal tribesman coming to Gotham to get revenge on the dudes who stole a mystical artifact and killed some of his tribesman for some Gotham millionaire's ethnic art exhibit? That was a good one...oh and "Tulpa" which had The demon in it, that was dope....SUCH A GOOD RUN. Google the collection it'll tell you the exact issues my friend.
>>
>>80965104
It's called Legends of the Dark Knight: Norm Breyfogle, 23 issues altogether.
Stories from Batman Annual 11 & 12
'Tec 582-594 and 601-607
Sorry, looks like their short run on Batman isn't included, killer stories in that run too though, it was the beginning of the Tim Drake era
>>
>>80964004
Golden/silver age reprints sell to hipsters. New issues always sell. Bronze age stuff only sells to people with nostalgia, and comics in general don't have a lot of nostalgia attached to them anymore. Why? Mainly because 90% of the readers of the bronze age comics are in their 30's and 40's now and don't read comics anymore.

It's sad, but true. Comic readership within individual generations tends to sharply drop off in the 20's, an only gets less and less as they age. So until it's hip to like the bronze age, we're not gonna see a lot of it around in reprints.
>>
I own that TPB and it is one of my favourites OP. That era had my favourite characterisation of Batman.

>tfw we will never go back to the days when batman wasn't a traumatised violent revenge fueled lunatic but rather a kind hearted man who didn't want anyone out there to suffer as he did
>>
They've reprinted some of the bigger 80s stuff (NTT and LoSH mainly). It's just the 70s that are neglected.
>>
Some of the Neal Adams stuff is reprinted, but they made the fatal mistake of letting Adams 'enhance' it, and now it has such shitty coloring it's nearly unreadable.
>>
>>80964004
Gay.
>>
Moore's Swamp Thing keeps on getting collected.
>>
File: BatmanGiordano.jpg (115 KB, 500x638) Image search: [Google]
BatmanGiordano.jpg
115 KB, 500x638
>>80966025
Fucking this. I keep expecting "well-adjusted" Batman to make a comeback after Snyder's run, but then again I had that same hope after The Return of Bruce Wayne.
>>
>>80964004
A Neal Adams Batman Omni was release like last week
>>
>>80972885
That Omni has a lot of shit in it along with the good comics.
>>
>>80964004
They want people to pirate them instead
>>
>>80974027
It took me about an hour f searching before I could even find a pirate download for the OP. Apparently they're not even popular enough for that.
>>
>>80974256
You can just download the issues you want from a complete 'Tec torrent
>>
>>80965810
You can still buy those floppies for pence...best bet, probably.
>>
What are some good Bronze Age Batman stories aside from >>80964004 and >>80965097 ? Those are the only ones I've read.
>>
>>80975458
Most of them, the issue where Scarface first appears will cost you at least $20 since hes in cartoons and video games

Fucking collectors
>>
>>80976042
Whaaat? I still have that fucker, it was one of about 50 comics I kept when I sold me collection in early 2000's. We talking about the ventriloquists doll Scarface, reet?
>>
>>80976373
yeah. It's worth about $12 in good condition

http://comicbookrealm.com/series/3308/45356/detective-comics-issue-583/1
>>
>>80965097
This came out recently it has all the early Ra's stuff but, it's in black and white but that's good for me because I bought it to use as a coloring book
>>
>>80964004
>>
>>80976476
Yeah that's the one...thanks for that, not really worth enough to tempt me to sell but it's nice enough. I'd say it's a solid 7 as a conservative estimate, anyway. Comic Realm is a bit rubbish for alt stuff, you got any less mainstream-centric online priceguides please Anon?
>>
Didn't they recently reprint strange apparitions?
>>
>>80984753
If they did I'd love to hear about it. That and some O'Neil shit are some comics from the 70s I'd love to have on my shelf.
>>
>>80979331
How are the black and white omnibuses in general? They're pretty cheap right now, wondering if I should pick some up. Seems like it would be suited to Batman since he's got a whole Black and White range, as well as Phantom Stranger and "shadowy" characters in general, but the Green Lantern ones don't make sense... I mean, his name is a color FFS.
>>
>>80987545
>since he's got a whole Black and White range
Yeah but that art was drawn with the idea that they'd be black and white in mind, which affects shading, line weight, etc. The B&W Showcases just look like unfinished art, because that's exactly what they are.
>>
>>80984753
>>80984892
Legends of the Dark Knight - Marshall Rogers
that's OOP too now and had some missing issues afaik
>>
>>80989552
Yeah those legends/tales of the dark Knight HCs are kinda shitty because they leave out every issue if the featured creator isn't involved so lots of stories go incomplete, especially in the artist centric ones
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.