[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the most overrated Simpsons episode ever
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 129
Thread images: 6
File: Bart lemon.jpg (26 KB, 512x384) Image search: [Google]
Bart lemon.jpg
26 KB, 512x384
Well, I think Lemon of Troy is pretty overrated and dull. I also never understood the love for Homer The Great, THOH V, You Only Move Twice, Holidays of Future Passed and a few others.
>>
Every single episode in Season 1

That awful Michael Jackson episode.
>>
Lisa's Substitute without a doubt. I realize why people like it so much, but it just doesn't work for me. Also THOH IX gets praise for being one of the better episodes in Season 10, which it absolutely isn't.
>>
Bart's Inner Child
>>
>>80950315
Unpopular opinion: You Only Move Twice, the only joke I've ever thought was funny from that is the part where Smithers is offered a job while walking down the street.

Hank Scorpio is a terrible character and the episode just didn't work, the family wanted to move back to Springfield for no literal reason,

Homer or Marge could've complained to the school and got Bart put back in his class, or put him in another school/boarding school/hired a tutor.

Lisa could've gotten Antihistamine tablets or hardened the fuck up.

Marge could've gotten a fucking hobby or maybe (god forbid) a job.

In real life, when you're offered an opportunity like Homer was, you take it, don't regret it later.
>>
>>80950629
>overrated
no one remembers it or likes it anyway
>>
Last Exit to Springfield
>>
>>80950369
That was season 2

I agree, after Homer gets comitted it dies
>>
Lisa's Substitute and Homer's Enemy.
>>
Probably something like the Seemingly Never-ending Story. I see it rated often as a modern day classic but I found it to be incredibly weak. Interesting premise but very flimsy in humor and characters.
>>
>>80950659
this
>>
>>80950804
>>80950659
it's a good episode for me too, no problem with that. But never would consider it the best of the best.
>>
Last Exit to Springfield- I agree that it's a good episode, but I've never thought of it as one of the best.

A Streetcar Named Marge - The episode isn't bad as a drama, but is definitely lacking in humor, besides the New Orleans song. Also, it's a weak choice having lasers go off in a play.
>>
your favorite episode, and your best friend's favorite episode
>>
Bart Sells His Soul - I like it but it's nowhere near the best episode of the series.

Homer vs Lisa and the 8th Commandment - just not really a fan.
>>
Itchy and Scratchy and Poochie for me. The jokes were very poor and the satire didn't interest me at all. Homer at the Bat and King Sized Homer can follow.
>>
>>80950906
>Homer at the bat

take that back
>>
>Classic era
Lisa's Substitute. It's a nice episode and a very powerful one, but it's so short on humor as to be narcoleptic
>Zombie Simpsons
Apocalypse Cow. It's seriously pretty bad and also introduced one of the worst recurring characters in the show's history
>>
Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind
>>
>>80950641

>better job
>not a reason to move
>>
Lemon of Troy, Behind the Laughter, Marge Vs the Monorail, The Cartridge Family.

All these are good but not great.
>>
I didn't like A Streetcar Named Marge. The song was funny, but Julie Kavner is a pretty terrible singer.

But then I haven't seen the episode in a couple years so maybe I'd like it if I rewatched it.
>>
Last Exit to Springfield and Trilogy of Error.
>>
Gone, Maggie, Gone

Sorry, I know a lot of people liked it, but I just don't get what the big deal is.
>>
>>80951059
>Lemon of Troy, Behind the Laughter

agree completly, this guy knows what he is talking abo...

>Marge Vs the Monorail

Ill kill you in your sleep
>>
I'd also like to add Bart of Darkness--as with Bart Sells His Soul it's a very good episode, but I don't think it's one of the series's, or even the sixth season's, best
>>
You Only Move Twice. There are other episodes I think get more credit than they deserve but usually those are still good. This one is actually fucking boring and even has pretty shit portrayals of the family. Making fun of retarded children also seems like a bit of a low for the show by that point.

Who Shot Mr. Burns is one example of being overrated by fans but still actually a good episode, by comparison.
>>
>>80951059
>Marge Vs The Monorail
You fucking idiot.
>>
Two Cars In Every Garage And Three Eyes On Every Fish: It's kinda strange to choose this one because I love it, but it isn't really an episode that stands out in its season. Great, but not god-level.

Brush With Greatness: Same as Two Cars, but it's even worse from my point of view. Probably one of the worst from its season.

A Streetcar Named Marge: I have discussed it several times. This episode from my point of view doesn't have good qualities over any other classic. It's of course solid and not boring but not one of my favorites and in fact a bottom 5 for season 4.

I Love Lisa: It's good, but not easily remarkable in its season. The third act rubs me the wrong way for some reason.

Bart's Inner Child: One of my least favorite classics, an average episode for me that gets more love than it deserves

The Last Temptation of Homer: I think this one doesn't stack up to Colonel Homer. It's a much shallower, sillier episode with an overabundance of grossout jokes.

Bart Gets An Elephant: It's not all that funny, more grossout jokes, and the storyline overall is too silly for me
>>
>>80951337
Continued:

Homer The Great: I don't hate it, but the jokes don't work all that well and become tiresome

The Springfield Connection: It's overall a pretty good episode but the plot development goes too far to the point where it goes into bad fanfic tier

Team Homer: It's hard to pick one from the mostly very strong Season 7 but I think this one doesn't live up to its reputation.

Realty Bites: One of Season 9's worst and a symptom of the show's decline setting in

Lard of the Dance: It's only okay...

Sunday, Cruddy Sunday: Scully Simpsons at its worst. Into the trash it goes.
>>
>>80950970
Who?
>>
>>80951392
They Saved Lisa's Brain: Wholly mediocre episode from start to finish

Beyond Blunderdome: Some people love this one, I don't. It's terribly boring and painful to sit through and with a few exceptions most of the jokes are tasteless and totally predictable.

Guess Who's Coming To Criticize Dinner: It's good compared to the season standards, but not really a standout episode from my point of view. Just decent.

A Tale of Two Springfields: More of the worst the Scully era had to offer. 0/10

HOMR: A terribly lame episode the Scully writing room shit out as a token attempt to appease Internet nerds who complained that the show couldn't do character-driven plots anymore. A few good jokes but it's mostly pretty bad.

Hungry, Hungry Homer and Skinner's Sense of Snow: The fact that these are the top 2 best episodes of Season 12 shows just how low the bar had been set by that point

Children of a Lesser Clod: It has usually some appreciation because of its jokes but I actually found it unfunny and therefore lacking redeeming qualities.
>>
File: Mary_Spuckler_984.jpg (21 KB, 150x311) Image search: [Google]
Mary_Spuckler_984.jpg
21 KB, 150x311
>>80951457
Kill it with fire.
>>
There has never been a good episode about Marge. Even the "good" ones in the early seasons are merely tolerable.
>>
>>80951490
Even if you run through the classic seasons, Marge had the fewest episodes of the main cast. Homer and Bart would get like 6-8 episodes per season while she averaged 1-2 per season.
>>
Last Exit can't possibly be overrated when it appears on every Top 10 Best Simpsons Episodes list ever made. I do agree that Homer's Enemy is a very overrated and very bad, mean-spirited episode.

As far as Zombie Simpsons, I would say Future Drama. This review from NoHomers summed it up nicely:

"And "Future-Drama", which after a rewatch of the entire Jean era, is my least favorite of the season, and a complete flop of a story. The various conflicts of Bart/Jenda, Bart/Lisa, and Lisa/Milhouse make no impact because of shallow writing all around. Milhouse is defined only by his sickening obsession with Lisa and muscle jokes. It's made worse by the fact that Lisa is for some reason dating him because he saved her life...from a fire she knows he set (what!), breaks up with him for some trivial reason, and decides to settle for misery with him for, um, I don't even know. Meanwhile, Jenda is little more than a plot device, her demanding, controlling nature serving more to annoy me than to sympathize with Bart, forcing Bart into convenient situations that force Bart to choose between her or ruining his sisters life (being conveniently awarded Lisa's scholarship to get a definitive career, being forced to choose between saving Lisa from staying with Milhouse or ending his relationship with Jenda because he won't do it at that very second of his life). And the conflict between Bart and Lisa has about as much depth as "Wiz Kids" (Bart ruins Lisa, Lisa is forced into peril because of Bart, Bart "saves" her and rectifies all wrong). Do I even need to bring up Homer and Marge's marriage crisis? The characters are either shallow, contrived, or annoying, predictably written, and are thus unable to carry an engaging storyline. D+"
>>
>>80950970
>Apocalypse Cow. It's seriously pretty bad and also introduced one of the worst recurring characters in the show's history
All that and Matt Groening considers it one of the best episodes of the show.
>>
>>80951567
Wow, really?
>>
>>80951601
Crave Online: What's your favorite Simpsons episode?

Matt Groening: My favorite episode of The Simpsons is one that we just had one in which Homer ends up dressing up in a cow suit. That's all I can say, just Homer in a cow suit being led to a slaughterhouse is very funny.
>>
LOT or Homer Badman
>>
Faith Off - one of the few Season 11 episodes that escapes criticism. IMO, it's the worst of the season. What could've been a great Bart plot was marginalized for Jerkass Homer antics, and one of the most ridiculously unfunny 3rd acts in the history of the show (even most Scully self-destruct episodes have a few good jokes in there). The bucket was good, the song was good, other than that, godawful.
>>
The Springfield Files- A gagfest that's just as funny as any other but that gets more attention just for being a riff on The X-Files
The Mysterious Voyage of Homer- Good animation, not funny and the story is really not good at all
Cape Feare- Third best Sideshow episode after Sideshow Bob Roberts and black Widower; not the top five masterpiece everyone says it is
>>
Marge vs The Monorail. It's a good episode but I don't get why it's so damn popular.. Springfield gets a monorail! Omg! And Mr. Plow.
>>
Episodes I like but find overrated
Homer at the Bat
Last Exit to Springfield
Secrets of a successful marriage
Bart sells his soul
You only move twice
Homer's Enemy
Girlie Edition
Lisa gets an A
Guess Who's coming to criticize dinner
Eternal Moonshine of The Simpson Mind
Holidays of Future Passed
To cur with Love

Episodes I hate/dislike which I find overrated
When Flanders Failed
Kamp Krusty
The Simpsons Spin-off showcase
Moe Baby Blues
The Seemingly Never-ending Story
Bart Stops to smell the Roosevelts
>>
Lisa the Vegetarian; the whole reason why fans like myself despise the girl with a capital D can be traced back to this very episode; her making a conscious to abstain from eating meat? Fair enough, refusing to dissect a worm for a class project? Some objections here and there but it's a good decision, going out of her way to completely spoil a lovely barbecue Homer spent hours preparing? F@cking inexcusable!

It just goes to show that if Lisa thinks she's on the moral high ground and it's OK to ruin someone else's fun for sale of some petty truth that can be overlooked with good reasons than oh boy does she make my blood boil. And don't get me started on Lisa vs Malibu Stacy.
>>
>>80951817
The episode that REALLY pisses me off with Lisa is Lisa the Skeptic. She was just so closed minded about the discovery of the angel. The way she spoke to Marge too - so condescending! And at the very end, just when she tries to act smug, she freaks out and hushes up just when the angel comes to life. Overall, Lisa was just ignorant.
>>
>>80950659
I think it is overrated becuase so many says it is the best episode ever and i disagree. I also think Homer's Odyssey covered a lot of the same ground.
>>
>>80951490
The Springfield Connection is hilarious.
>>
File: am-i-so-bbvl8y.jpg (21 KB, 250x373) Image search: [Google]
am-i-so-bbvl8y.jpg
21 KB, 250x373
>So many people saying Street Car Named Marge
>I love the episode

Honestly i did not like it until I read the Williams play, there are a few Tennessee Williams jokes in the series that land well.

I am not saying reading the play will make the episode better for you but the people who are saying it is overrated have you read the play?
>>
The episodes I tend to dislike are the gagfests like You Only Move Twice, Bart Gets An Elephant, Homer Goes To College, Homer At The Bat, Marge vs the Monorail, and Rosebud. They're funny but they're not that funny. HATB and Monorail have really weak plots. Rosebud has more of a plot, but it's still eh and I also think Burns is characterized rather poorly.

Among others, I dislike Homer's Barbershop Quartet. It's pretty funny overall, but the plot really requires you to suspend disbelief and assume that the kids had no recollection of Homer's musical career, Homer once was a Grammy-winning artist, or that barbershop was popular in the mid-1980s. Also I never particularly cared for the Beatles or the music in the episode.

I also don't think much of I Love Lisa. Ralph could be interesting here but he's just written as a loser who pines for a girl who will never love him back. Booooring. Also the plot is a little too saccharine for my taste. Speaking of saccharine, also see Lisa's First Word. I don't hate this episode, I just find it rather unremarkable and most people only remember it for the ending which is about 3 seconds of the entire episode.
>>
Holidays of Future Passed. It's pretty good for Zombie Simpsons, but people dickrode it so hard that they actually started claiming it's on par with the best classic season episodes, which is just stupid.
>>
Moe Baby Blues. The plot overall isn't bad, but it has an overabundance of cringeworthy Jean-era jokes. Also it marked Moe's continued Flanderization from a scuzzy lowlife into a pathetic suicidally depressed /r9k/fag.
>>
I used to love Homer Badman but it doesn't move me anymore for some reason. Maybe the Tumblr cancer makes this episode hit too close to home.
>>
>>80952037
I agree. When you have people claiming HOFP and The Book Job are comparable with Season 3 episodes, they're going a little too far.
>>
Lisa's Wedding is far more overrated, in fact it may be one of the most overrated episodes in the entire series. Let's break it down:

>Lisa's fiancee Hugh - just who is this limey anyway?
>shows up out of nowhere, the two have an argument, and suddenly they're lovers - if this happened in Season 25, you'd be shitting all over it, but because it's Season 6, it gets a pass
>the two have no chemistry to speak of and it's very OOC for Lisa to fall for a guy the way she does
>Hugh also is a completely uninteresting character and there's no convincing reason why Lisa should want to marry him

The good part is the ending when Lisa ultimately decides her family is more important than this douche. In true classic Simpsons form, Lisa manages to redeem herself.
>>
>>80952197
The saving grace is that the gypsy is bs-ing all of it. Love the octopussy line though.
>>
>>80952197
HOFP I felt shined. The plot gets going quickly without unnecessary filler like LW had and the writers seemed to do a well and good job of imagining the characters' futures.
>>
>>80952197
You're right and Lisa's Wedding also started all the awful gags that have dragged down every future episode since.
>>
Itchy & Scratchy & Marge
Stark Raving Dad
Colonel Homer
Bart's Friend Falls In Love
Marge vs. the Monorail
Krusty Gets Kancelled
Homer's Barbershop Quartet
Deep Space Homer
You Only Move Twice
22 Short Films About Springfield
Simpsoncalifragilisticexpiala-D'oh-cious
Homer's Enemy
Simpsons Spin-off Showcase
Girly Edition
THOH IX
Hungry Hungry Homer
Moe Baby Blues
'Tis the Fifteenth Season
24 Minutes
O Brother, Where Bart Thou?
The Book Job
Fraudcast News
>>
>>80952295
>Colonel Homer, overrated?
>google it
>it is

I never thought it was strong either but i did not know it was so popular. Damn.
>>
>>80952295
>Fraudcast News
I wasn't aware anyone actually liked this one.
>>
>>80952337
I appreciate CH more as an adult than I did as a kid. When I was 12, I was just all like...at the ending. Oh gross they're all naked and shit.
>>
Lisa's Substitute Lisa's Substitute Lisa's Substitute Lisa's Substitute
>>
>>80952374
I agree with you there. Mr. Bergstrom's goodbye to Lisa and the Graduate parody are the only really memorable bits. Also they tried so hard for a touchy-feely episode that there's barely any good jokes in it. It makes you question just how good James L. Brooks was for the show, because according to the DVD commentary, he wrote about three quarters of the script (even though it's credited to Jon Vitti) and that led to an overly dry, humorless episode which tends to be a problem with Season 2 in general. It does seem that when Jean and Reiss took over in Season 3, they were better at balancing between gags and sentimentality for example Lisa's Pony which is heartwarming but also has some absolutely hilarious stuff in it (especially Homer and Apu's exchanges).
>>
>>80952353
Yeah, but the effusive praise i read on Wikipedia still seems a little over the top. It has a high imdb rating too. Not that those are the be all and end all but it makes ne comfortable to say it is overrated.
>>
>>80952374
Probably the most obvious one. I like it, but it doesn't deserve the level of dicksucking it gets. It's not even the best 7F episode. The Way We Was and Three Men & A Comic Book are both better episodes and they also have good jokes while LS is completely devoid of any laughs. There have been better Lisa episodes and better one-off characters.

For post-classic Simpsons, HOFP and Moe Baby Blues are both made out to be something they're not.
>>
Lisa the Simpson
Lost Our Lisa
Moe Baby Blues
>>
Bart The General: Pretty good for so early in the series, but not up there with the best of the best
Moaning Lisa: See previous
Kamp Krusty: Not bad, not amazingly good
Duffless: Fan favorite, but I find it meh
Homer Goes To College: Killer gags, but it has an early appearance of asshole Homer and the storytelling is pretty horrible
THOH IV: Probably the weakest of the classic THOHs
Mountain of Madness: Funny, not especially memorable
The City Of New York Vs Homer Simpson: See previous
Homer To The Max: I don't dislike this episode as much as I used too but it's still a pretty weak episode. Enjoyable first act, okay second act, bad third act.
Guess Who's Coming To Criticize Dinner: Meh, another wacky Homer episode typical of that era.
E-I-E-I-D'oh: The first act is actually pretty darn good for season 11 but the rest is pretty bad.
HOMR: One of the funniest episodes of season 12 but the emotion is pretty forced (particularly the end) and it isn't very well-written.
Half-Decent Proposal: Very good episode and among the best of season 13 but i would not quite put it on a "best post-classic episodes" list.
Weekend At Burnsies: The first two acts are enjoyable enough but I don't care for the third act.
Little Girl In The Big Ten: See previous
Poppa's Got A Brand New Badge: Pretty funny but a lot of it seem rehashed from older episodes and it isn't very well-written and even the humor isn't laugh-out-loud worthy.
Bart And Lisa Vs The Third Grade: I see a lot of praise for this episode but i found it pretty meh.
>>
>>80952374
I didn't appreciate LS for a while, but it really is an emotionally powerful episode. I do agree that it could use more humor, but the Bart subplot helps in that department a bit.
>>
>>80952295
>Itchy & Scratchy & Marge
>Stark Raving Dad
>Colonel Homer
>Bart's Friend Falls In Love
>Marge vs. the Monorail
>Krusty Gets Kancelled
>Homer's Barbershop Quartet
Uh...
>>
>>80952623
I'll break it down:

>Itchy & Scratchy & Marge
Marge's moral crusade is boring and slightly irritating
>Stark Raving Dad
Messy and boring plot (Lisa's birthday plot bores me) and one of my least favorite guest stars ever. Also I hate the song at the end.
>Colonel Homer
This episode just doesn't resonate with me for some reason.
>Bart's Friend Falls In Love
Not all that funny and Samantha rubs me the wrong way.
>Marge vs. the Monorail
It's not bad but not close to the best of its season let alone one of the top 5 episodes in the entire series.
>Krusty Gets Kancelled
Precursor to every bad Zombie Simpsons guest star-a-thon. Harry Shearer and Julie Kavner both refused to even do this episode.
>Homer's Barbershop Quartet
As someone else in the thread explained, a completely unbelievable episode.

I’ll also second Guess Who’s Coming to Criticize Dinner and Homer Goes to College.
>>
Homer's Enemy
>>
>>80952695
>It's not bad but not close to the best of its season let alone one of the top 5 episodes in the entire series.
I totally agree with this one, It's somewhere in the middle of the season in terms of quality, and not even in top 50 of all episodes. I disagree with all your others though.
>>
Cape Feare. Come on, this episode can't touch Sideshow Bob Roberts or Brother From Another Series.
>>
>>80952695
>This episode just doesn't resonate with me for some reason

I don't agree. Homer gotten yelled at by Marge and wanted to take some time alone, meets a woman who sings beautifully and wants to try making her songs more popular, which causes Marge to believe they're riding the skin boat to tuna town, and ends up with a sweet ending. It's a very rare episode where Marge actually fears that Homer leaves her, unlike the other 150 episodes where Homer is afraid of losing Marge.
>>
All right, let's do this again:

Homer vs Lisa and the 8th Commandment
Separate Vocations
Last Exit to Springfield
Krusty Gets Kancelled
Homer's Barbershop Quartet
Rosebud
$pringfield
Lisa on Ice
And Maggie Makes Three
Home Sweet Homediddily-Dum-Doodily
Bart Sells His Soul
Lisa the Iconoclast
22 Short Films About Springfield
Summer of 4 ft. 2
Lisa's Date With Density
El Viaje Misterioso de Nuestro Jomer
Homer's Phobia
Homer vs. the Eighteenth Amendment
Behind the Laughter
She Used to Be My Girl
Springfield Up
All About Lisa
Treehouse of Horror XX
Holidays of Future Passed
How I Wet Your Mother
The Day the Earth Stood Cool
The Saga of Carl
>>
>>80952871
>All About Lisa
>How I Wet Your Mother
>The Day the Earth Stood Cool
>The Saga of Carl
Since when does anyone consider these good episodes?
>>
Gotta agree with The Saga Of Carl, the episode had potential but they completely blew it. As a result a very boring episode where little to nothing happens.
>>
HOMR: Not all that funny and an ending that very thoroughly reminds you that this is a Scully episode
Homer's Enemy: I get the point of the episode with Grimes and such, but other than a few funny lines, it's boring.
The Saga of Carl: This is one astonishingly boring episode
>>
Cape Feare is the most overrated episode in the entire series. It's a good episode, but nowhere near the best.
>>
Cape Feare is not even the best Sideshow Bob episode (Sideshow Bob Roberts is just a more compelling story with better lines and I would not be beyond persuading that Brother From Another Series is superior as well, though you had to have watched Frasier). It is still a very nice one, probably even top 20 of all. But there are better episodes out there.
>>
It's kind of hard to pick ones from the classic era. Surely there are episodes I don't like as much as everyone else but for the time being, none really seem to stick out. Even if I don't find certain episodes from the classic era all that funny, I can still be thoroughly engaged in how the story is told. Also I'm not all that familiar with fans' reactions to many of the episodes from seasons 13 to now so my list will be short. Here's from season 9 onwards:

*Lisa the Simpson: This one generally gets a pass by most fans but I've never liked this idea that the reason Homer and Bart are a bit dim is because of some dodgy genes. Homer's stupidity comes from his child-like naivety and rash thinking. Same with Bart, who is just an under-achieving ten year old who thinks recklessly. Plus this means all the episodes prior that showed a chance that Bart could make something of his life, don't mean anything anymore. The episode itself is also pretty forgettable, I only remember the last act.

*Mayored to the Mob: Fun but not as hilarious as I remember.

*Homer to the Max: Same as above.

*Behind the Laughter: I've heard some say this would have been a fine episode to end the series on. I just think it’s dull and very bitter. Which perfectly reflects the rest of the season actually.

*HOMR: I really don't see the appeal to this one. Having Homer's stupidity explained by a crayon lodged in his brain really doesn't work for me. For the same reasons as Lisa the Simpson it just comes off as cheap writing, though it doesn't help that Homer is at his dumbest during the beginning and ending of this episode. But I could forgive all that if it was at least funny, which it isn't.
>>
>>80953085
2/2

*Trilogy of Errors: I remember really liking this episode when I first saw it. Then recently I heard many fans praising it for its humour and originality, most agreeing it was the best of S12. While that last part may be true, it's still a pretty bland episode despite its gimmick. Not many truly hilarious moments and its pretty pointless when you think of the plot as a whole.

*The Regina Monologues: I know nobody really cares about this one anymore, but back when it aired, it was a pretty big deal over here in the UK. And as a stupid child, I liked it. But as an adult I now realise it's just another mediocre vacation episode. The thin plot worked in Thirty Minutes over Tokyo because it was well paced and had a nice string of jokes. Here, it’s just the Simpsons walking from one "joke" to another until the half-assed "plot" comes in during the last act of the episode.

* Holidays of Future Passed: I'm really surprised this one got as much praise as it did. It's a pretty generic future episode that you can dump next to Bart to the Future and Future Drama. Nowhere near as good as Lisa's Wedding.
>>
I feel these episodes get more praise than they deserve. They're all good episodes but none of them have ever struck me as terribly great or important.
Bart the Daredevil: Yeah, fuck that shit. When Mike Scully refers to Homer falling down the gorge as one of his favorite Simpsons moments, it tells you a lot.
Stark Raving Dad: It's really not that good and I want to put in earplugs when the singing bit happens.
Kamp Krusty: Just an average filler episode with nothing memorable about it
A Streetcar Named Marge and Homer the Heretic: Same
Mr. Plow: Really, really thin plot with a ton of (admittedly good) gags propping it up.
I Love Lisa: Same
Boy-Scoutz 'N the Hood: I don't "get" this episode. I just think it's a bit random and stupid. Not a terrible episode but very poor for Season 5.
Bart Gets Famous: More forgettable filler
Homer and Apu: Same
Deep Space Homer: Even Matt Groening thought this episode was a little much, but it's somehow still a fan favorite
22 Short Films About Springfield: Just because it's an unusual episode doesn't mean it's one of the best ever. Yeah yeah I get it, it's a clever formula and it parodies Pulp Fiction...
Hurricane Neddy: This is sometimes considered a Season 8 highlight. It starts off brilliantly but the last act is a bit stupid and pales in comparison to the rest of the episode, which essentially foreshadows one of the main problems with many episodes in later seasons.
The Itchy & Scratchy & Poochie Show: Writers throwing a temper tantrum over Internet Simpsons fans. Move along, nothing to see here.
Lisa the Simpson: People overrate this because it's the last Oakley and Weinstein episode, but it's not much different from the general tedium of Season 9. In fact I couldn't even tell it was by them.
>>
>>80953268
Behind the Laughter: People overrate this a lot because it's one of the better episodes of the first noticeably terrible season, but I don't think it's particularly good at all. It seems to rely on the awkward self-awareness that the series really had dipped in quality by this point.
>>
Lisa the skeptic: There's almost no likable characters in this episode. The angel worshipers are idiots who vandalize for no reason and Lisa is a arrogant religion-hater who insults her mother. Stephen Jay Gould is wasted as a greedy jerkass who decides to not analyze the skeleton toe just cause he didn't feel like it I guess. The writers don't bother giving us any explanation.
>>
Rosebud

And 24 Short Stories, Homer's Barbershop Quartet, all of Season 1, Bart gets an F, Bart vs Thanksgiving and I'm tempted to say One Fish, Two Fish, Blowfish, Blue Fish too and quite a few of the THOHs (although I'd more say these were after Season 8 where they get overrated).

Oh and I bloody hate Homer's Enemy. Once the "moral... I guess :S " wears off, you're left with a humourless episode with a meh B-Plot and an A-Plot that's full of jerkass Homer and the occasional black humour joke.

I did just classic era because I don't really know which episodes are popular from modern era because everyone just says how much they hate them.
>>
The 8th season as a whole. Is it bad? no. But it generally does feel like a significant step down from the previous seasons. Season 8 to me is closer to 9 in quality, only being slightly better.
>>
Why all the Rosebud hate? I don't understand it.
>>
>>80952197
Agreed. The only good parts where the present day scenes. Otherwise, it felt very out of place for a season 6 episode
>>
>>80953085
Lisa the Simpson does have a pretty bad plot. The jokes carry it, really.
>>
>>80953403
It just isn't THAT good of an episode.
The plot is pretty odd, nice and memorable.
The emotion is alright, some of it is pretty forced with Maggie though but it does work, so can't knock it.
Then the humour is REALLY good with quite a few memorable moments but...

One of the series best? Ehhh, it's too hard for me to justify that title with just a few memorable scenes like the bear journey and Homer eating cheese.
>>
>>80952851
>and wants to try making her songs more popular, which causes Marge to believe they're riding the skin boat to tuna town, and ends up with a sweet ending

Where they ride the skin boat to tuna town.
>>
>>80950315
>all these people saying season 1

Are you guys sure its overrated? I see far more people who exclude it from the "classic era" than those who include it.
>>
Behind the Laughter - Smug, unfunny pretentious bullshit, yes I do realize they the writers tried something different, but that episode pisses me off every time I watch it
>>
Sort of related, what is the best stopping point for the series? I was thinking season 10 but I would like to hear other opinions.
>>
Holidays of Future Passed, it's not terrible but it's not very good either and honestly I really hate all the praise it gets.
>>
>>80953530
I can see why people like it, it certainly feels out of place in the season it was aired in but some people genuinely believe it is a classic-esque quality episode which is incorrect. So in that regards it is fairly overrated.

Eternal Moonshine is also overrated for the same reasons stated above.
>>
Homer At The Bat - It's definitely a pretty boring episode. Maybe it's because I don't care for baseball. I don't really know what's so great about this episode.

Homer the heretic - Yes, this is unfair, because this is just because of the third act and how Marge acts. I just don't get how you have to go to church every Sunday to be Christian, so it's a little hard to watch this. I like everything else though, but to me it would just have been better if Homer wouldn't go to church from there on. Even God agreed with him! And the way Lisa says "Truly this was an act of God" bugs me a little. Not really a thing she would say, but it was an early season.

Bart the Daredevil - Other than "Sherbert" I don't really care for this episode. Definitely not one of the best.

Marge vs. the Monorail - No, I don't think this one's very funny. It's the best Phil Hartman character, but I just don't enjoy the episode a lot.
>>
Man, classic Simpsonfags can get so damn elitist. It's a fucking cartoon.
>>
Holidays of Future Passed is just another lame future episode, except with even less jokes and emotions than the rest.
>>
>>80953668
Look at the IP count, then at the episodes posted.
>>
Homer's Enemy. Just too damn depressing for me.
>>
HOFP and Lisa's Substitute. Also Colonel Homer is overrated. I really don't care for it.
>>
>>80953840
That's ok. You can just watch Lisa Goes Gaga instead and wipe away all those overrated memories off that stupid list of yours.
>>
>>80951059
People get mad when you critique Marge vs the Monorail even though it represents the shift into the goofier townwide plots that would become a staple of the shit Simpsons episodes, but on its own it isn't bad.
>>
>>80954505
Season 4 was when Oakley and Weinstein joined the writing staff and I know they were the ones that pushed for doing episodes based on the whole town of Springfield instead of just the Simpsons.
>>
>>80954505
It was also the beginning of them doing musical numbers which again I suspect was an O&W thing because those first show up in Season 4 and disappear once they leave and Scully becomes showrunner.
>>
>>80951718
You know, as someone who loves kamp krusty to death, I have to own up to it being extremely subpar. It's thematically comfortable and charming, but holy fuck is the pacing just all kinds of fucked up. I remember some anon saying it watches like a two parter that was condensed into one, and I haven't been able to watch it the same since. Still an episode that I love but it brings up these serious pacing issues that plague a lot of the "great episodes", where things are too busy or forced
>>
File: 331.jpg (47 KB, 460x690) Image search: [Google]
331.jpg
47 KB, 460x690
>this whole thread
>>
File: image.png (936 KB, 1334x750) Image search: [Google]
image.png
936 KB, 1334x750
>>80952295
>22 short films about Springfield
>>
>>80954811
The Usenet reviews from the early 90s weren't very favorable; they complained also about the animation and voice acting being below average.
>>
>>80954936
I think that can be explained by watching a few DVD commentaries; this was the last 8F episode produced and the show's entire staff was incredibly burned out and ready to drop from exhaustion.
>>
And no I'll never accept people putting down Last Exit. You cannot be a fan of the Simpsons and not like that episode.
>>
>>80955040
>dental plan
>Lisa needs braces
>dental plan
>Lisa needs braces
>dental plan
>Lisa needs braces
>dental plan
>Lisa needs braces

Truly ebin writing from the best episode of the Simpsons ever
>>
I'd say my top 5 episodes ever are LETS, The Way We Was, Homie The Clown, Marge on the Lam, maybe Bart Star.
>>
>>80950315
I like Lemon of Troy, but the pacing is extremely slow and maybe some people don't like that.
>>
File: 1445733446051.jpg (28 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1445733446051.jpg
28 KB, 500x375
>All this bad taste
Jesus /co/, what happened to you
>>
22 Short Films About Springfield.
Steamed Hams and the tall guy in the tiny car were the only good parts.
>>
Who Shot Mister Burns, both parts. The plot was dumb and it opened the door to all the retarded 'lel baby maggie bad ass sniper' things that came later.
>>
>>80950653
I remember it because of chronic NAGGING

NAGGING

NAGGING
>>
>>80955449
younger demo
>>
>122 posts
>23 IPs
wake

me

up
>>
>>80950659
references: the episode

and DENTAL PLAN is funny only because of repetition
>>
>>80958049
it's that autist again reformatting and reposting shit from another forum
>>
No one answered in the other thread. Are Simpsons threads banned on /tv/ now?
>>
>>80950970
>Lisa's Substitute. It's a nice episode and a very powerful one, but it's so short on humor as to be narcoleptic
Honestly I think that's a problem with almost any show that tries to do a dramatic episode. The tone shift doesn't work and really you're watching a comedy for comedy, not to elicit an emotional response.

Honestly the only time I've seen a more dramatic episode work is in Azumanga Daioh and that's because it still continues with the general themes of the series high school nostalgia and the carefree life of being a kid, just in a more melancholy manner.
>>
>>80951216
There will be a queue.
>>
>>80950315
I love that Rocky movie bit way too much to agree
Thread replies: 129
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.