[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are good Daredevil starting points? I read miller's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5
File: kingpin-must-die-cover-130458.jpg (377 KB, 655x419) Image search: [Google]
kingpin-must-die-cover-130458.jpg
377 KB, 655x419
What are good Daredevil starting points? I read miller's The man without fear miniseries, as far as I know Miller's work on the main title was awesome, I was thinking of starting with #170 since I think it starts a short story arc and I know the death of Elektra comes shortly after, but is it a good starting point for a Daredevil noob? or should I start earlier?
>>
You should check out the run by ___Bendis___.

[runs away]
>>
>>80949529
Miller
Nocenti
Early Marvel Knights with Smith and Mack
Bendis
Brubaker
Waid
>>
>>80950262
this, unironically. his cosmic and team books are crap but Bendis writes a good street solo
>>
>>80949529
You can pretty much start anywhere honestly, though ideally it would be the first issue of a particular writer's run. I started with Waid then went to Bendis (my favorite DD run), then Brubaker, then back to Miller.
>>
>>80949529
Karl Kesel run a best
>>
>>80950741
Or save yourself the time and skip bendis and Just read Miller. particularly "Born Again". since that's pretty much where Bendis rips all of his story beats off of anyway.
>>
>>80949529
If you ask me id read the following in the following order.

Frank millers the man without fear is a great retelling of the DD origin so that was a great place to start.
and yeah id follow up with the miller run.
after that id go into kevin smiths marvel knights run and probably read from there. Or skip the stuff after kevin smith and jump to the brian michael bendis/alex maleev run (which is easily my all time fav run of daredevil stories)
Also if you want after you get through kevin smiths run...read Daredevil yellow from jeff loeb and tim sale. its not all that popular but its a great telling of the daredevils early years post man without fear. The art is astounding and its really well done.

As for waid. Hey if you want to feel free. id avoid it. I fucking hated waids run. I think it strayed from the hard noir edge that makes daredevil more than a poor mans spider-man. I found his stories mostly silly and I really didn't care for them in general.
That being said the new run has started off pretty cool. Its dark again and i'm rather enjoying it.

OH and at some point you gotta get your hands on 'born again' by frank miller and David Mazzucchelli. It is probably one of the single best daredevil stories of all time if not THE best daredevil story of all time.

Id then move on to the frank miller run
>>
>>80950262

No need to run away. His daredevil is widely acknowledged as the last good thing Bendis ever did.
>>
>>80950860

I would contest that once the novelty wears off, it's not a very strong run and some of the characterization is pretty piss poor. Bendis drags Typhoid Mary out of retirement just so he can ridicule her being a crappy villain after a hint of nostalgia bait. The only notable thing about his run is the status quo change.
>>
>>80950895
This. Christ. I'm not gonna say Bendis' DD was the worst thing ever, but it's possibly the most overrated run of any book ever. It's a talky Miller retread full of Bendis' usual lack of passion or interest in the characters he's writing. But since it's baby's first Daredevil for most people it gets put on a pedestal.
>>
>>80951071
I'm not really sure If I'll read Bendis DD, like I said I'm a daredevil noob, but I can't stand Bendis in any capacity (Maybe his early ultimate Marvel books but apart from that he only makes me rage)
>>
>>80951071
>but it's possibly the most overrated run of any book ever

That's harsh and isn't even remotely true.

>>80951130

Spoken like a true hivemind. Form your own opinions, stop being a sheep.
>>
>>80951235
man I don't like bendis, his dialog style bores me and he moves the story too slow for my liking, also his utter favoritism for one character over another pisses me off
>>
>>80951130
Bendis' Daredevil is by far his best work, and a damn good read too. Don't listen to these faggots
>>
>>80951499
I'll give it a read then, it can't be as bad as modern Bendis maybe
>>
File: IMG_0660.jpg (350 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0660.jpg
350 KB, 768x1024
>>80950856
>read Daredevil yellow from jeff loeb and tim sale. its not all that popular but its a great telling of the daredevils early years post man without fear. The art is astounding and its really well done.

I agree with this. Very underrated comics.
Other than that you can't go wrong with Miller OP. Also pic related, this is a cool one.
>>
>>80951617
I'm loving Miller's run I started with Gangwar (DD #170) as my original plan, ten issues in it has been fantastic, many people recommend yellow so I'll read that before going into Born again
>>
>>80951545
Eh. its Bendis's best work. but its still bendis as his most Bendis. So thats like saying its the best turd in the toilet bowl. Prepare yourself for snarky A-hole based "humour", everyone acting like plot idiots and outright ass holes, every story ends in "Matt Murdock does something stupid" or "Matt Murdock Loses"

Bendis single handedly killed the DD persona. 85% of his daredevil run had little daredevil in it. it was so bad that waid had to pull a 180 and ignore it. "We know your Daredevil Matt! "no, I'm not"

and don't get me started on some of the worst superhero/comicbook artwork you have ever seen...
>>
>>80951904
Maleev's art fit the books tone really well
>>
>>80952133
Dry, muddy stiff and boring? A bunch of talking heads? Yes. it did.
>>
>>80950689
How is Bru's Daredevil? I like everything I've read from the guy, but his DD never gets singled out.
>>
>>80952380

It's alright, a bit inconsistent.
>>
File: wpid-maleevdd1.jpg (50 KB, 594x792) Image search: [Google]
wpid-maleevdd1.jpg
50 KB, 594x792
>>80952362
What's it like to have such shit taste?
>>
I felt Yellow was unnecessary after reading Man Without Fear. It didn't seem to add that much.
>>
>>80952550
Wow. A Cover. You sure proved me wrong.

Man Frank Miller, Romita Jr, mazzucchelli, Lee Weeks, Paolo Rivera, Marcos Martin, and Chris Samnee better watch out.
>>
>>80952670

Yellow is nothing but Jeph Loeb writing a dumb overtly soapy nostalgia story with Tim Sale's art doing all the heavy lifting.
>>
>>80952380
First arc with Matt in prison is pretty good. The rest is kind of meh.
>>
>>80952878
>what is Hulk Grey?
>what is Spider-Man Blue?
>what is every fucking Loeb and Sale collaboration but God Tier art and terrible writing?
>>
>>80952818
Jesus, I'm not saying Alex Maleev is the fucking GOAT artist, hell he's not even the best DD artist (Gene Colan btw) I'm saying it's good for what it is, a gritty crime comic. I'm guessing you think Daredevil should always be a upbeat lighter toned comic like Waid's run
>>
>>80953047
>I'm guessing you think Daredevil should always be a upbeat lighter toned comic like Waid's run
Yea. I'm one of those. Thats why i brought up almost all of the other premiere Crime noir DD artists...

But you still admit that Maleev is in the bottom tier of DD artists. So i forgive you for that last desperate jab.
>>
>>80953047
>Gene Colan
Sorry but it's actually Mazzuchelli
>>
>>80953047
and to add to that I actually Like both tones of daredevil. I think DD is one of the few vigilante types who have actually been able actually do both upbeat and gritty, depending on the writers of course.

Batman and Punisher feel weird when their Upbeat. (less so in silver age bats) and spider-man feels terribly forced when he's written all dour and sour.
>>
>>80953199
I agree for the most part, vol. 3 was a refreshing change of pace but by vol. 4 and the move back to San Fran. I was praying Kirsten to die a violent death so Matt could go back to suffering
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.