[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this movie racist?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: 72778_front.jpg (838 KB, 1597x2022) Image search: [Google]
72778_front.jpg
838 KB, 1597x2022
Is this movie racist?
>>
>>80937352
Yes
Maybe
I don't know.
>>
>>80937352
when a kindly black man is holding hands with two beautiful aryan children, you know that sure as fuck cant be racist.
now, depicting rabbits with paw pads as if they were common rodents, yeah that is kinda racist.
>>
>>80937352
No more than any other movie set in a historical time period.
>>
>>80937407
Can you repeat the question?
>>
Racially insensitive and condescending, certainly. Outright racist? Depends on your definition of the term.

Regardless, Disney should have the balls to release it.
>>
>>80937352
In the sense of heavy stereotyping and not questioning a system of racial segregation, yes. It is not malicious, though.
>>
>>80937639
it's okay to stereotype southern people as southern
and there's a big difference between the kind of orwellian under-the-rug shit germany does, and just being fucking sick and tired of talking about how butthurt everyone should be by picking open an old wound. it's not as if people were this dramatic about it at the time.
>>
>>80937352
Is your mom racist? Is your dog racist? Are you cis scum? Then you are racist.
>>
>>80937862
Please, tell me more about what we do.
What gets swept under the rug exactly?
Do explain.
>>
>>80939425
They used to sterilize hillbillies and kill baby retards in the US.
>>
>>80939940
To remarkably little effect.
>>
>>80940009
To this day, hillbillies are deeply distrustful of doctors.
>>
In terms of the definition of racism, hatred/violence because of race, it's clearly not. But some people still think it's insensitive. It's become this bogeyman of sorts that most people targeting it have never seen it, and are speculating how bad it "could" be. The only things that could be frowned upon are the fact it takes place on a former-plantation with former slaves (which is just silly to get angry at), the black characters being happy and cheerful in their work and relations toward the white characters (which I'd understand if somebody was upset with, even if this is a 40s film when all Disney movies were like this), and the reference to a "tar baby" (which is obviously a vile reference, but it's part of the original black folklore so I think Disney was just trying to be true to Remus tales more than some made-up hateful agenda).

None of it really matters though, because it's a piece of history that needs to be fucking released already. I mean it's a state-of-the-art blend of animation and live-action (long before stuff like Mary Poppins, and when earlier examples were more amateurish), and it was the first case of a black man winning an Academy Award (second black actor in general). Not to mention all the songs Br'er Rabbit stuff that gets unironically used in all of Disney media (Splash Mountain for Pete's sake). People who think the movie was made to be racist are delusional. Disney had to fight diligently to get James Baskett an Oscar, and even the idea of releasing a film about positive mixed-racial relations to a family audience in the fucking 40s is astounding. The intentions are commendable; whether it was effective or not is another thing (I'm sure there are a hundred NAACP pieces that say it better than me). The longer Disney ignores it the worse it gets.
>>
>>80940155
If things keep being as they are right now, US of A history will be completely rewritten 20 years from now. No tensions between people of different language and skin colour ever happened, and we always lived in peace and harmony.

COMICS AND CARTOONS, EVERYBODY!
>>
In the way that your grandmother offering your black friend some fried chicken because "You people like that stuff, right sugar?"

It's not malicious... but.., cringeworthy at the least.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.