[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
STRAWPOLL round 3
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3
File: monkey.jpg (5 KB, 168x191) Image search: [Google]
monkey.jpg
5 KB, 168x191
What is the best animated movie of the 2010s?

http://strawpoll.me/7127110#

this is the last time ill post it on /co/ is there any other social media sites to get a general consensus opinion?
>>
File: Consistency.jpg (38 KB, 255x246) Image search: [Google]
Consistency.jpg
38 KB, 255x246
>>80930176
>Lego Movie #1
>>
>>80930251
so, is that a good thing?
>>
File: 1395627483486.jpg (109 KB, 500x563) Image search: [Google]
1395627483486.jpg
109 KB, 500x563
>>80930293
You better believe it is.
>>
If I put this poll up 2 years ago would frozen be higher?
>>
>no It's Such a Beautiful Day
>>
One guy voted for peanuts
>>
zootopia breached the top 10
>>
>>80930739
whats that referencing?
>>
>Lego Movie
Oh, good, for a second I thought I was going to have trouble deciding.
>>
>>80931983
Independent animated film by Don Hertzfeldt. Pretty good, but definitely a different kind of thing than the movies on this list.
>>
>>80932029
I get that the lego movie is great, but why is it really the best by far, surely it has tight competition. (did you see the other top 10 btw)
>>
>>80932096
did it have a mainstream theatrical release though in the west, thats what stopped me from putting ghibli movies and cartoon saloon movies
>>
good seeing animolisa in the top 10
>>
Lego was my second, only reason I picked zootopia above it was because it got me to draw fanart of it.
>>
seriously though to get a general consensus what other social media should I post the link on?
>>
>>80932272
All except Zootopia and Anomalisa.

If it weren't for Lego Movie it would have been a hard choice between HtTYD, Rango, and Paranorman. All had great parts but were pretty flawed movies. From start to finish I loved The Lego Movie. Something I never would have thought I wanted, but couldn't get enough of.
>>
>>80933268
meant to quote >>80932179
>>
>>80933268
>>80933294
Haven't seen Paranorman yet, but what were the flaws with the other two?
>>
Is there any other movie I should have put in?
>>
still some movement
>>
in going for 250 answers
>>
I am pretty biased towards the Lego Movie and Break it Bob, but imma go with Rango. Mainly because i never expected it to be that good. I don't think i had any expectations beforehand.
>>
>>80935642
yeah its deffinatly a movie that adults would enjoy more than kids, like fantastic mr fox or even peanuts (most of the kids in the theater saw it with fell asleep)
>>
>>80933327
Don't think I'm criticizing with any authority, but if you want my personal opinion and possibly an open discussion:

While How to Train Your Dragon had some very magical moments portraying the majestic beast who was only a tiny bit too anthropomorphised (cognitively), the core story and interactions seemed a bit tired. Perhaps it was just bad timing, but that late 00's, early 10's area had A LOT of movies centering around a coming of age rebellion and reconciliation with parent figures (Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs and Brave immediately come to mind) and HtTYD did things very by-the-books, with the nerdy, awkward pipsqueak showing the responsibility-conscious, traditionalist father figure that had too many set-in-stone ideas of what his sons' future would be. The movie shined (for me) when it was portraying Toothless as we saw it through Hiccup's Darwin-esque eyes, but everything else about it was kind of bland.

As for Rango (which would probably be ultimately what I would have settled on), it was a very artsy film. A passion project. While this makes for a lot of great cinematography and a lot of complex characters, the narrative definitely suffers. From the very beginning you know you're in for a bizarre trip, but it when the dust settles you find yourself in the middle of an Old Western that you never seem to feel like you're actually part of. Just kind of looking at it through a glass bottle. I guess that's kind of the point, but the Western is so genuine and the transitions are all so full of seams, the dissonance is so strong. Again, yeah, that's the point, the sheltered pet Chameleon playing the role of actor in a "real" part of a real Western, never completely one with his setting, likely being a metaphor for the acting process in general, but it bears to mind the saying that "intentionally awkward is still awkward" and something about this all just doesn't work for me. Maybe it's just how straight-laced the Western part is.
>>
>>80937991
I'm not that anon but all the reasons that you pointed out for HtTYD is the exact reason for why i didn't like the second movie as much.
The first one, like you said, focused on how the characters, both Toothless and Hiccup would break the expectations of their supposed legacies. Like just because you are from a certain family or have a certain title you are supposed to live to those expectations. In the end of the movie they have clearly stated that it's not necessarily true and that it's fine to do your own thing. Hiccup is not the badass that is his father and accepts that but find other things he is good at and Toothless is not the ruthless murderer he is perceived to be.

In the second movie, Hiccup does become the leader figure like his father before him and Toothless become a badass dragon, strongest of them all.
>>
>The Croods at the very bottom
I mean I still think it's one of the weaker films on the list, but it was SO much better than I expected
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.