[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I get into comics?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 7
File: 1458462590460.jpg (994 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1458462590460.jpg
994 KB, 1920x1080
How do I get into comics?
>>
>>80919268
You could try reading them
>>
>>80919268
Here's a tutorial:

>go to comic book shop
>browse comics
>find comic you like
>buy it
>read it
>repeat as many times as necessary
>>
Pick an artist / series you like.
Download collection.
Check it out on your preferred method of reading.

If you like it, keep reading and consider buying it to support the creators.
>>
>>80919268
you don't
>>
>>80919268
>Think of a character you think might be interesting
>Find their rec list http://comraderecs.tumblr.com/
>Read it
>If you like it either follow characters either follow people who worked on run you liked
>>
Start with mainstream stuff, the stuff everyone always recommends, then you can try to develop your taste from there by exploring books that specialize in the things that you liked from those mainstream books.
>>
>>80919268
Avoid capes.
Pick a comic, any comic.
Read it.
>>
>>80919268
Maybe you just don't.

Move on to another more advanced and mature medium instead.
>>
File: i like you.jpg (60 KB, 496x369) Image search: [Google]
i like you.jpg
60 KB, 496x369
Download a cbr reading program.
Don't do that pdf shit that seems like a good idea at the time but is actually just really bad.
Find a comic that you think sounds interesting and torrent it.
or...
Find a character, any character that you think is interesting. Find a run that you hear is pretty good or just sounds good to you and torrent it.
Alternatively, just start with the new shit: New 52/Marvel's quarterly reboot.
Fuck all the salty indie comic faggots, if you like capeshit, then read capeshit.
Read the torrented cbr files on the reader.

Did you like what you read?
If so, then feel free to explore other runs/other characters/other works by the same publisher.
If you liked it a lot and you got a couple bucks, then buy it at the local comic book shop and support a dying medium.
If not, pick a different comic and try again.

Rinse and repeat.
>>
File: GO HOME HAMMER GIRL.jpg (39 KB, 788x574) Image search: [Google]
GO HOME HAMMER GIRL.jpg
39 KB, 788x574
>>80919971
It's not about being salty, I like capes fine, it's just not the easiest way to get into comics.
If it wasn't for the convoluted continuity in big 2 capes, people wouldn't even feel like they need to ask "how do I get into comics", they'd just pick up a damn comic, at number 1 if it's a continuous series, and read.

>advising to go by publisher instead of creators
Now that's just wrong, you're just creating a new companywar faggot.
>>
>>80920025
>creating a new companywar faggot

I meant if they picked up something from Image/Dark Horse/Valiant and would like to explore those universes and characters rather than the mainstream movie shit.
>>
>>80919268
why would you want to?
>>
>>80919804

This.
>>
File: 2016-03-20 03.45.59.png (2 MB, 1035x1562) Image search: [Google]
2016-03-20 03.45.59.png
2 MB, 1035x1562
Seems like an alright thread to talk about this. I just started reading the Puppet Master comics, I loved horror movies as a kid and am pleased to find that a number of them have comics. What does /co/ think of Puppet Master? What's /co/'s favorite slasher comic?
>>
File: roman-disguises.jpg (333 KB, 937x581) Image search: [Google]
roman-disguises.jpg
333 KB, 937x581
>>80919268
Get Asterix
Read Asterix
>>
>>80919268
You open to the page you want and step in. Just make sure you don't lose that ticket.
>>
>>80920101
I love how none of the legionaries are usually in shape and just look like fat cops from South France.
>>
>>80920099
Hack/Slash is good
Locke and Key is more on the mystery suspense side but has it's gory moments
>>
File: consider this.png (215 KB, 479x495) Image search: [Google]
consider this.png
215 KB, 479x495
>>80919268
Find something you like and dive on in, kid.

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/c176ch19xzqp4/Astro_City

Old school /co/ gave out help like candy which helped the community maintain a friendly and informed user base. Just returning the love.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.