[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Full Bird before 30 Even before her massive push she was shit.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 6
File: 1420855691391.jpg (93 KB, 600x640) Image search: [Google]
1420855691391.jpg
93 KB, 600x640
>Full Bird before 30
Even before her massive push she was shit.
>>
>>80909032
Come on, you know she passed the promotion board on her knees. Possibly on her back. Point is, she slept her way to the top.
>>
>>80909475
See even though that's a despicable thing, it would at least be an interesting character point to expand on. Carol is far, far too boring for that.
>>
>>80909032
Will we ever get a female hero that doesn't talk exclusively in snark?

How about a more reserved, private person who does what she does because she know's it's the right thing to do and she had the power to do it? When someone insults her, how about she takes it with good grace, knowing that she's not out there to change people's minds about her?

Why can't superheroes be noble anymore?
>>
File: 1418228156215.jpg (20 KB, 306x306) Image search: [Google]
1418228156215.jpg
20 KB, 306x306
>army
>Air Force Rejected Me Yesterday
>AFRMY
>>
>>80909032
Is that supposed to be Steve talking shit? They know that the Air Force wasn't a thing when he was a soldier, right? He'd have no reason to feel a sense of interservice rivalry with the Army Air Corps.
>>
>>80909032

That scene is one of my favorite bits of Carol personality exhibits ever. I love her and Steve having a bit of playful inter-branch rivalry.

>>80909993

He does it not because he feels it but that Carol does. They're two friends poking at each other.
>>
Carol is like 39 now though
>>
File: 1353214473808.jpg (47 KB, 296x300) Image search: [Google]
1353214473808.jpg
47 KB, 296x300
>>80909654
You act as if military people don't banter all the time.
>chair force
>>
>>80909032
No everything before disassembled and everything after fear itself, that's when she turned to shit

Go i miss the heroic age.
>>
>>80909032
>>Full Bird before 30
Why does regular comic book bullshit make her bad? Hal Jordan enlisted and ended up a captain by like 25 and nobody complains about that
>>
>>80914241
We didn't know how good we had it in 2010.

I know I didn't.

>Utopia X-Men being united and badass
>heroic Avengers with mostly A-listers and no forced pandering
>Classic heroes in mostly classic costumes
>Heroes being heroic and fighting villains

But soap opera civil wars and EVERYBODY IS GRAY SO DEEP YOU GUISE and endless events that change everything forever (forever = 6 months in Marvelspeak) sell better so we won't see that again for a long time.
>>
>>80909558
How is that despicable? You one of them military worshiping types?
>>
>>80914811
This has always been my argument, they pushed for the Captain Marvel change far too late in the game.

During those years, right after disassembled Carol was on a new journey, she saw how great her life was in the House of M as Captain M, she had a good solo going with competent writers, in the broad scope of things, she was a high profile member on multiple avengers team, even leading one of them, and stayed strong even after 6 different crossover event lead roster changes. She was at the top of her game, and then just started to fade out as time went on.

Then marvel noticed oh shit our sales are plummeting time to diversify, hey lets bring Mar-vell back from the dead for a cheap cameo and tell him to have Carol finally accept the damn name, then in the first year of her "big push" she was given a crap solo with a brain dead writer and numerous questionable artists, and thrown into a bunch of different books, and instead of actually making an impact in those series they placed her in, she was making glorified cameo's, one week she's paling around with the gaurdians, then she there for a one shot in spider, gone the next week to do some shit with the x-men, contributing nothing to the actual narrative and being reduced to background filler with a line or two, instead of establishing her new role and title, all they did was put her all over the place saying "Her she is, now get reading"
>>
>>80915108
Marvel has been bad at organic character growth in the last decade because they've become (in my view) increasingly short-term profit oriented.

>this book doesn't sell all that well, let's do a total revamp of the character

Now, this was done before, but Marvel's been doing it on a line-wide, annual basis for years now. We used to joke about how events never actually change anything, but now they renumber books every year. Sometimes they relaunch it twice in one year.

Uncanny X-Men went from going strong for nearly 50 years as Vol. 1 to being relaunched three times in five years to boost sales.

In that environment, it's obvious people like Carol - potentially great characters who could really shine and bring something new to the table - aren't going to do well, because they'll either be forgotten or artificially pushed to the point most fans are tired of them.

One of the reasons I think so many fans like Cyclops is that for years he's had actual character growth. You could see him, month after month, slowly changing as a result of his world going to shit. It wasn't one event that made him go "fuck charles" after being a goodie two-shoes before, it was YEARS of subtle things creeping up on him before Logan's Schism and the Dark Phoenix really made him go all in. That kind of development is incredibly rare and I think that's a big reason why so many readers like "Rightclops" now, because he's one of the few who come across as authentic and reasonable in their actions (in the sense of them being internally consistent to the character).
>>
>>80909654
>Will we ever get a female hero that doesn't talk exclusively in snark?
It's not empowering if a female character isn't constantly behaving like a cunt, you shitlord.
>>
>>80909993
The Air Force broke off from the Army and became its own branch in WW2 so actually he would have had a front row seat to the birth of the Air force.
>>
>>80915995
It was also pretty much suicide.
>>
>>80914877
Not that guy but putting an unqualified person in a position of military authority has the potential to cost a lot of lives. Fucking her way to the top is absolutely despicable and would, again, be way too interesting for whitebread nuCarol.
>>
File: 1449429967667.jpg (88 KB, 736x1004) Image search: [Google]
1449429967667.jpg
88 KB, 736x1004
>>80909032
She was in her mid-late 30s when getting powered up at the psyche-magnetron. Earlier she was a Major in the test pilot program when Stark first met her in Brian Reed's run (just before the crash). Maybe promoted to Lt. Col when commanding security at the Cape, where she met Mar-Vell (can't remember if they mentioned her actual rank in that run). Probably promoted to full Colonel only upon retiring.

As backstories go it's nor the worst around.
>>
>>80915108
You forgot to mention that she actually had a personality back then.
>>
File: Artgerm - CM.jpg (175 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
Artgerm - CM.jpg
175 KB, 1024x1024
>>80917617
Should add that would tend to put her in the early-mid 40s now, even with Marvel's weird rolling/(but let's ignore anything regards age) continuity. Still looks hawt though (esp. when drawn by Artgerm) - all hail Kree genetics.
>>
>>80909032
Why are you surprised? Powerful enough to rival Thor, Tony's swagger and Steve's leadership. Plus, she's like Hal Jordan if he was a good character. Mix all of those men and you get Carol!
>>
>>80917686
I wish they could straighten out or at least have a more unified timeline. I remember reading somewhere that for some characters the Kree-Skrull war happened last year.
>>
>infantry is where you go to die or get maimed
>airmen force is where you go to be a nerd and fly your nerd shit around
Carol is now just unlikable. Used to be sexy/unlikable, now she's just a cunt.
>>
>>80917742
Going to be interesting to see how they introduce her into the MCU. Reckon they'll ditch the whole journo/feminist/author/trained agent thing and just go with the straight military bg.

> Test pilot > crash in Stark's experimental stealth jet > made commander of Cape security while recovering > meets Mar-Vell > Psyche-Magnetron go boom-gain powers > EMH-style plot where SWORD recruit her at this point.

Think they introduce her in Infinity War 1 already powered up and based on Titan with SWORD and some other heroes like Spectrum, Adam Brashear and maybe Jess. Cover the origin in flashback.
>>
>>80916044
It was also pretty much suicide.
???
>>
>>80915108
>tfw we'll never get militant right-winger murder waifu back
>>
>>80909032
Carol if you're gonna talk smack at least make yours make sense. You literally just spelled AFRMY.
>>
>>80909683
>>80918007
You're not incorrect, but this is an actual joke that's been going around for years. It didn't originate here. I guess it's supposed to be Airforce Rejected Me Yesterday, even thought that's not really correct either.
>>
>>80909475
For the most part, it doesn't work that way.

But affirmative action promotions in the .mil happen every single day and because of the 'non-quotas' that they're definitely 'not setting', they often promote sacks of worthless shit that should likely have been non-ranked their entire career.

I've watched plenty of PFT failures pick up NCO, staff and even get their new commission.
>>
>>80914811

Marvel died after Siege.
>>
>>80918362
It is now deader when the year 2011 strikes.
>>
>>80914459

Captain is three ranks below full colonel in army/air force ranking structure, equivalent to a Navy lieutenant in authority. It's about the lowest he could be and be a pilot. About the only way to get from army captain to colonel in less than a decade is if there's a major war on and people are getting brevet promotions left & right to fill gaps.

>>80916044

The Air Force only officially became its own branch in the reorganization of the War Department into the Department of Defense in 1947. It had grown large, specialized, and separate enough during the war to be one, but it was still officially part of the Army.
>>
>>80909654
Storm used to be that way. Now she's a random bitch depending on the author for MUH EMPOWERMENT
>>
>>80909654
Excuse me sir

Have you heard word of the One Good Waifu, Kamala Khan aka Kamala Chan?

Bismallah you should give her a shot
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.