[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does anyone think SU does references and homages a little too
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 4
File: SUSailorMoon.png (361 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
SUSailorMoon.png
361 KB, 1280x720
Does anyone think SU does references and homages a little too much? I normally don't mind it, but it feels like every episode, there at least two or three "blank is a reference to blank" moments. The fact that the Gamecube is a permanent design part of Steven's Room says it all. (Yet, I don't seem to mind when Bobby Hill is always playing a real Gameboy)

Does anyone else agree? Or do you enjoy the easter eggs?
>>
>>80905655
Those are hardly even references, they're just realism. It's stuff a 14-year-old boy would have.

Personally, I find it distracting when shows go out of their way to emphasize how overly not-real everything is, like having "McBurger" restaurants everywhere, or characters buying jeans that say "Old Army" on them, or whatever.
>>
>>80905939
And why would you want to have realism in a show about sentient gems?
>>
The internet and social media shit ruined cartoons.

Everything is full of references like that so they'll be screencapped, posted on tumblr with 10,000 likes and reblogs. Useful idiots being used for cheap advertisement.
>>
I mean i don't get triggered at the mere sight of a sailor moon manga if thats what you mean.
>>
>>80906184
im more triggered about the wrong perspective and intersecting line the phone is making with the top of the sideboard
>>
>>80906183
What?
>>
>>80906204
The animators for SU are hacks.
>>
>>80906253
Also sugar raped a girl in highschool.
TOP LEL.
>>
File: Memecon.png (2 MB, 1248x700) Image search: [Google]
Memecon.png
2 MB, 1248x700
>>80906220
Shit like this for example. Really? Memes as a central plot point?
>>
File: Steven_Universe_Sanic.png (565 KB, 1280x719) Image search: [Google]
Steven_Universe_Sanic.png
565 KB, 1280x719
>>80906301
>>
Not at all. I enjoy the easter eggs.
>>
>>80906108
dude the entire show is down-to-earth slice of life meets fantasy, that's how steven was fucking born
>>
>>80906333
Who cares about the sanic when there's a Gitaroo Man?
>>
>>80906301
That's not SU though.
>>
>>80906557
They didn't say it was. That Anon was saying cartoons in general and used that as an example of a modern day cartoon using common day references for internet audience points.
>>
>>80906420
Not really.
>>
>>80906495

Also the dude from Ian's webcomic that looks like Cloud.
>>
>a highly derivative show built off of reaching "homages" is bad because it has homages
You're watching someone's fanfiction of sailor moon and a geology book, if this is what bothers you, you need to get a grip.
>>
>>80906846
Why hasn't Sugar gotten sued? SU is Chinese tier thievery.
>>
>>80906272
Wait, what?
>>
>>80906896
SU is about as bad as Tokyo Mew Mew in that regard.
>>
>>80906904
It's a well known fact that everyone famous raped and murdered a girl in 1992.
>>
>>80906955
So can Sugar be taken to court? Because she can't get away with this.
>>
>>80906904
I'm pretty sure Sugar murdered someone in 2003.
>>
>>80906420
>that's how steven was fucking born
i thaught some bold dude fucked a rock?
>>
>>80907177
Why do you think John K noticed her? He was impressed at Sugar's ability to rape little girls.
>>
>>80907208
Yeah, and that was the down-to-earth bold dude's fantasy.
>>
>>80907095
I've never really heard of anyone being sued for using similar plot elements and really, while SU apes the magical girl formula of slice-of-life with mild action, they're not really breaking copyright laws.
Its a shitty derivative show but you're not going to be convincing a court of law that its a direct rip off of sailor moon or precure or whatever.
She's a hack writer/creator but that just goes for 90% of CN or animation in general nowadays.
>>
>>80907056
And quite a lot of people were fucking little boys/girls over at Jack Nicholson's house in the 70's.
Hoo-boy, that was a rough decade for him, I don't think he ever got the stains out.
>>
>>80907277
so what kind of shows would you rather see on the air?
>>
>>80905655
>Does anyone think SU does references and homages a little too much?
No, because background gags, homages, and details are one of the things that make animation stand out from live-action; you can cram a lot of information into a panel that the viewer doesn't need to process, but can if they want to. The Simpsons do it all the time (especially with math jokes).
>>
>>80907277
>She's a hack writer/creator but that just goes for 90% of CN or animation in general nowadays.
Let's be honest; she only got the job because she's a woman.
>>
>>80907438
are you saying women can suck dicks better than men!?
thats sexist anon
>>
>>80906301

They did this in an obviously satirical way though
>>
>>80907513
I think Ian himself mentioned that Rebecca slept around to get SU on the air.
>>
>>80907544
Fuck off CN shill.
>>
>>80907574
Have you noticed there are always CN shills in WBB and SU threads?
>>
>>80906896
Sued for what exactly?
>>
>>80907620
I have. They're probably interns trying to increase popularity on their dying channel. How sad.
>>
>>80907323
Something with more flair and creativity than a rehash of a 90's anime?
Uncle Grandpa is surprisingly good
Don't really watch much of Clarence
is Regular Show even still on? Even then it just seems like problem solverz, a failed [as] wannabe show with the young adult slice of life bullshit
same with AT
We Bare Bears is just too mediocre to even merit critique.
Also, "w-what would YOU do faget" is not a good defense for a show.
>>
>>80907714
I mean clearly you have strong ideas about what should be on the air
what have you been doing to attempt to get your vision out there?
>>
>>80907714
It's not a rehash of SM just because of some vaguely similar premise, and even if it was very similar why should that matter? There's lots of magical girl shows in anime that aren't very different from each other.
>>
>>80907643
I honestly can't ell if you are trying to troll or are just a dense motherfucker.
>>
>>80907863
Nice try shill. The power puff reboot is DOA and your upcoming shitty programs arent gonna fare any better. Just give up
>>
>>80907634
Copyright infringement.
>>
>>80908015
It's not copyright infringement to make something that's similar to something else or has something in common with something else.
>>
>>80907773
Hey man, I'm just a casual with opinions. My calling in life doesn't really pertain much to entertainment media and I'm not well-versed enough to give deep critique of many of these shows, let alone their production processes.
I guess to give you an answer, I'm doing my part by not giving views to this shit.
>>80907851
Its more of a modern "millenial" complaint what with the access of dozens of media pieces and with how uncreative Sucrose is you can basically pinpoint which elements she lifts from what. This just makes the show seem a hollow drag since you've literally seen all of this shit before, and 99% of the time better, since not everything is constrained by CN's child-friendly guidelines.
Its a mediocre show and I can see the appeal, but I don't quite understand why its as huge as it is past people really haven't seen or read much.
>>
File: download.jpg (12 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
12 KB, 300x168
Why is this allowed? I mean this isnt even a reference this is straigt up a super saiyan.
>>
>>80908155
Why wouldn't it be allowed? It's not illegal just because you don't like the show.
>>
>>80908155
DBZ used to air on CartoonNetwork. It still airs on Adult Swim. It's airing right now. I'm sure they have enough syndication rights that the people in Europe (Gumball is made somewhere in Europe right?) figured they could get away with it. Isn't the joke that Gumball wants to spice up the play with a bunch of popular blockbuster stuff, like Harry Potter, Transformers, DBZ, so and so?
>>
>>80907277
Anything is possible with meme magic my friend.
>insert smug pepe
>>
>>80905655
I only hate references when they're done family guy styled (ie, out of nowhere start a cutaway simply to reference thing). SU doesn't do them in such style.
>>
>>80907643
>>80907620
>>80907574
>shills
am I on /v/ 8fag?
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.