[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've just read Batman: Year One, ASBAR 1-10. TDKR and TDKSA.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: GoddamnBatman.jpg (404 KB, 1902x1098) Image search: [Google]
GoddamnBatman.jpg
404 KB, 1902x1098
I've just read Batman: Year One, ASBAR 1-10. TDKR and TDKSA. I don't understand why people say the Batman is so badly characterized in ASBAR. Read the rest of the millerverse Batman and the signs of Bruce going way over board are there from Year One, through TDKR and TDKSA. I mean, for fuck's sake, ASBAR Batman is supposed to be a more psycho, violent Batman because he doesn't have a Robin to calm him down and make him more sensible.

Why is it so hard for people to understand that between Year One to ASBAR, Bruce goes nuts? The signs are all there in Year One frankly. I mean, by issue 10, he has clearly calmed the fuck down due to the presence of Robin. I feel like people hate this Batman because its "not muh"
>>
>>81849394
I think it's just because people feel he's way too much of an asshole.

I liked ASBAR though. In fact it and DK2 made me reassess Spawn/Batman and I enjoyed that more than I did back when it was published.
>>
>>81849418
Since I'm reading through Millerverse, I want to read Spawn/Batman too. I just can't get my hands on it.

And speaking of TDKSA, I think Batman is a bit more like ASBAR Bats by that time, maybe due to having been Batman for what, 2-3 years again since TDKR?
>>
>>81849394
>and the signs of Bruce going way over board are there from Year One,

Not really. With Year One he's not over-the-top as he is in ASBAR. The only case I can think of that might've been over the top was him punching a corrupt cop through a wall for shooting a cat, but eh.

That being said, if you go and read Miller's Holy Terror as imagine it as Batman, Catwoman, and Jim Gordon in the roles they were supposed to be in, and set it between Year One and ASBAR as Miller intended, then it actually does explain how drastic he is in ASBAR.
>>
>>81849467
Yeah. so I've seen people say here on /co/. But even without Holy Terror, I'd say it's not too much of a stretch to have Batman be like ASBAR Batman based on his actions in TDKR and TDKSA, and to a lesser extent Year One, though in the case of Year One, maybe it's more his inner monologue rather than his actions.
>>
>>81849448
I think at the start of DK2, Batman said it was three years since he "died."

Depending on where you are you might come across Spawn/Batman in discount bins at some stores or conventions.
>>
>>81849394
>TDKSA
>ASBAR 1-10
Why? Those were shit.
>>
>>81849498
That's true, ASBAR isn't too far off from TDKR and definitely is closer to DK2.

Year One comes off more relatively calmer than the others though, but that might be because of Mazzuchelli's art and Miller being more restrained compared to the other stories.
>>
>>81849546
This is how I feel too. Also, he's calmer and more sane in Year One because he isn't as confident as Batman yet. But by the time of ASBAR, he's gotten the hang of it, he has the batcave and the batmobile, his fighting skills and tactics are better, and he quite frankly loves being the goddamn Batman.
>>
>>81849394
how can you...unironically post this image and then wonder why people think the characterization was retarded...what more evidence could you need than that which you provided
>>
>>81849527
Imo, the art isn't that good in TDKSA, but the story is great. It's got some great moments with Captain Marvel, The Atom and Superman.
>>
>All this shit taste

ASBAR was amazing, one of the funnest reads ever. I don't know how people can hate it. And this is coming from a Batfag.

Crazy Batman was awesome, and it's literally Jim Lee's best work.
>>
>>81850111
Agreed, but most batfags take Batman waaaay to seriously.
>>
>>81850370
On that note, that's why I like Tomasi's B&R, because it's more lighthearted and fun.
>>
That's because you weren't around when the All Star line was first announced. The titles were supposed to be reinterpretations and streamlinings of the classic, iconic versions of the characters. There was no hint that ASBAR had anything to do with Miller's batshit bullshit.

If they'd billed it as psycho Batman I would have expected psycho Batman. They billed it as iconic and as an answer to the then wildly successful Ultimate Marvel line.
>>
>>81849546
Think it's more Miller being more calm. I mean he turned Daredevil into kind of a Batman like character but still was retrained enough. 9/11 seem to be the defining part that really broke him. All the while DC kept handing Batman to Miller because of DKR.

Think once issue one of ASBAR came out DC finally decided to stop but because of contract they couldn't pull the plug on ASBAR but could stop Holy Terror.

Honestly as a time line it does fit in Miller's Batman world. But it's not really something people really wanted I'm guessing.
>>
>>81850111
Gotta agree. Maybe not thwe Jim Lee stuff because I haven't seen enough to comment.
>>
ASBAR is one of the worst comic books I have ever read. People shit on Bendis about his OOC characterizations and repetetive dialogues but oh boy. This is much more worse. And I'm saying this as a person whose favorite comic book is Miller's Daredevil Run.
>>
>>81849394
For me, everybody is crazy in ASBAR. Batman, of course, but also Robin who nearly kills Green Lantern. There's also Wonder Woman who seems like she's a misandrist before you realise she wants Superman's cock and just love the alpha male stereotype. And Black Canary destroys a bar and hurts every men in it just because there're insulting...
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.