[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
BvS opinions
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5
File: batman_superman_12x5_1600.jpg (173 KB, 1600x668) Image search: [Google]
batman_superman_12x5_1600.jpg
173 KB, 1600x668
So, i finally went to see it and i wanted to discuss shit with you guys. I'm making a new thread because the others i see about it right now are either bait-ish or devolved into off-topic
So yeah, i was disappointed i'm afraid

I went in trying to have an open mind. Since the movie came out i've read and heard all sorts of opinions and review, either defending or attacking, so i wanted to have in mind all the various considerations, all the pros and cons, i was ready to see all the supposed metaphors, analogies and themes because they were basically already explained to me

And no, it didn't work. I thought the movie's opening was explosive to be honest, ignoring the recreation of the DKR Waynes' scene for nerd-cred i was fascinated by the scenes of Bruce in Metropolis. I guess it pulled all the right strings because frankly his point of view was so understandable imo. But that ironically makes things worse afterwards, you'll see why.
Right after that the movie's weaknesses are already showing, the jump and eventual resolve of the Africa situation was so fucking quick and sudden, it was too obvious scenes were deleted. Superman saves Lois, yadda yadda, we see the african woman at the hearing. Here we see another problem of the movie, i don't know if i have to blame the editing or the script, but shit ain't clear, yo. I'm sure if i didn't already know about the explanation i would've been confused by this scene, my sister was. In an attempt to draw a more clear line on Superman's blame for the situation they end up mistakengly making it look as if the woman and all the people listening unironically think Superman killed people, with bullets or whatever. Yeah, sure, "HE killed them"" sounds more powerful and touching than "he caused their death!", but fuck, find the middle road.

cont.
>>
File: what did he mean by this.png (645 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
what did he mean by this.png
645 KB, 1600x900
>>81830392
cont.

That's the thing, too many characters speak in riddles in this movie. And references too, people in this universe speak in riddles and references

>"Alfred, the Waynes were hunters... get it? I'm an hunter too now, i hunt Supermen"
>"Lo, in the morning, Lola in pants" what the fuck
>"This is goodbye... and *everytime we say goodbye you die a little* " (this was particularly funny because the first "goodbye" was translated in italian but then the lyrics were kept in english)

And speaking of music, what the fuck was going on with the soundtrack? I know people liked it a lot and were listening to it before even seeing the movie, but holy fuck, it was so obnoxious. Every character or kind of scene had it's own theme, there was nothing unifying the sounds and rythms. The most obvious ones were Lex's theme and Wonder Woman's, and the latter came up in such a weird way when Bruce was just looking at her damn photo. And yes btw, the Justice League trailers were just ridicolous, they had no place in this, WW already i could barely accept, even if she was cool in the final fight. The Knightmare scenes too, they literally came out of nowhere. I'll admit the parademons looked cool, but that's NOT how you tease future movies. You just don't stop the narrative for the sake of... whatever the point was. Did they make it just because the movie barely had any action at that point? I can't fucking tell

But let's get back to the characters. Batman cool, yeah, i don't mind the killing since i was already used to Burton, BUT that brings up another problem i'll mention later.
Lex? Lex was... i dunno. I don't think i hated him, he was spergy and shit but i think at moments that worked.

cont.
>>
>>81830454
cont.

I don't think i hate him as far as characterization goes. But i do hate him because he was basically a walking plot device. He's only there to make things happen

>Make Batman and Supes fight
>Make people hate Supes
>Make Lois investigate him
>Make Bruce steal his Kryptonite
>Make Doomsday
>Make Bruce know about the metahumans
>Make logos
>Make Darkseid come to Earth (???)
>>Knows Bats' and Supes' real identities but we never know fucking how

I understand the criticism about how his real purposes are always unclear, buuut i think i got it, he just wants the world to "realize" that power over others can't be good. "If God is real he's not all-good", you know. I get it, but i also think it's a really weak reason, felt like babby's first atheist argument. Especially because it still doesn't explain why he picked up Batman of all people to be Superman's antagonist (how did he know Bruce already hated Superman? He just guessed because the Wayne building got wrecked? How did he see through Bruce's mask of a stupid, drunk billionare?), or why he created Doomsday. And no, i don't buy the "he did it as a plan B against Superman" explanation, because he started experimenting way before the "fight night" even started. And why the hell did he assume this conveniently existing abomination was about to follow him? Just because it was made with his blood, for whatever reason? I thought Lex was supposed to be a smart scientist? No, i can't buy the "muh Frankenstein" explanation either, all of his plans throughout the movie were perfect and worked perfectly but he's suddenly THAT irrational?

cont.
>>
File: WROOONG.jpg (26 KB, 500x312) Image search: [Google]
WROOONG.jpg
26 KB, 500x312
>>81830504
cont.

What else should i say. Oh yeah, i still didn't even mention Superman. Holy shit Clark, what did they do to you. First of all i keep noticing how they nerf all of his non-combat powers, for plot convenience i guess

>Oh noez, i wasn't looking for the bomb
>Oh noez, i stopped Batman but i didn't bother to check what was in that dangerously armed truck he was after
>Oh noez, i can hear Lois in trouble when she's on the other side of the planet but i can't ever notice my mom
>Oh noez, Batman threw a gas bomb at me, i guess i should've still been able to follow all of his moves through the smoke with my super-vision buuuuut nope

But again, just like in MoS the character is too passive. He's pushed around by literally everyone in his life. He's not allowed to be a good journalism ("Clark, you're on sports!" lol), he's not allowed to be a good saviour because Lex sabotages that, he's not allowed to speak his mind because piss bomb, he's not allowed to feel good about his heroism because ghost dad 2.0 (what the fuck was up with that), he's not allowed to tell Batman about Martha because i don't fucking know, i guess he was too mad to speak? Yeah, i get it, the world eventually accepts him because of his sacrifice, but holy shit was that a painful journey, for both the character and me, as a fan.

Like, seriously, while watching the movie i was thinking "well, at least everyone seemed to agree the big fight was cool, i can look foward to that" but WRONG. It was painful. Those characters had no good reason to fight.

cont.
>>
File: wb meeting.jpg (51 KB, 548x398) Image search: [Google]
wb meeting.jpg
51 KB, 548x398
>>81830538
cont.

Every punch Superman got i felt it myself, the dumb smile i had during most of the movie (too many things were too funny for me) was suddenly gone. It was an injustice for both the characters, Batman because, despite my initial simpathy, seemed more and more of an ignorant asshole (world's greatest detective my ass) and Superman because he was just the miserable punching bag. Do you know how so many idiots say "Miller truly hated the Batman because he loses against Batman in DKR" ? Well, that's how i felt about it here in BvS. Miller's Superman at least had his shining moments, it's clear the author doesn't hate Superman, but here instead it was weird. I don't want to imply Snyder must secretly hate Superman, but all this deconstruction of the godly figure (btw, it's parodical how many times Superman is called a God or whatever mythological figure) doesn't feel like it's doing justice to the character

Doomsday? Pointless bullshit, the fight was pointless, the destruction ridicolous, sometimes it felt like Snyder was directly mocking the talking points against MoS
>What, you think Superman should've taken the fight out of Metropolis? Well, now he's taking it IIIN SPAAAAAAAAAACEEEE

The whole fight was ridicolous, it was ridicolous how all the buildings were conveniently empty, it was ridicolous what Lois was doint with the spear (oh, pardon, "harpoon". Get it? Moby Dick? Get it? So deep), it was ridicolous how all the characters involved and not quickly guessed DD was sucking energy out of things... it was tiring

That's what this movie is, tiring. Especially because it's been 3 years, 3 years of "this is finally going to give redemption to MoS!". Am i supposed to keep going?
I really hope Suicide Squad is good, because at least that's prove WB can pull off non-Snyder movies and this DCEU can have something good

Overall "I disliked MoS but it was way better than this shit" outta 10
I'm sorry if i wrote too much, just how it came
>>
holy shit not your personal blog, and everything you and your sister were confused by I wasnt
>>
Good read, anon. Nice to see someone channeling their autism usefully.
My opinion? It's simple. It's 3 really good movies stitched together terribly: A Lex movie, a Batman movie, and a Lois/Clark movie. If you separated them out, they might be good - I would LOVE to see a cut where it's just from Batman's perspective, and Superman is indeed treated as a weird alien. But they don't line up. My friend had an interesting opinion on Lex as he thought it was totally in character of him to kidnap Martha Kent. It was in his character to line the deck in his favor as much as possible. Sure, but it doesn't fit well with Superman's arc. They've been trying to build him up as genuine in his convictions that Batman is a terror - that's his film. But then Lex's film comes along and snatches away that choice, rendering him a dumb pawn, which again, would be really cool to see in a Lex film but doesn't fit the character Superman's portion of the film has been trying to build him up as.
Anyway, it's got great pieces in it, but it's awfully overstuffed, and there's plenty of dumb shit in it (WW-CIA, "MArtha!!")
>>
>>81830949
And i guess we could add a 4th, an elseworld story about Super-dictator and commando-Bat
>>
>>81830846

This
>>
>>81830846
This
>>
>>81830846
You barely read the first post and decide "I didn't get it" is all I meant to say? In that very same sentence I explain that I already "got it"
>>
>>81830846
Oh fuck off. Leave the man express his opinion
>>
>>81831405
wow reading comprehension, no you said that stuff wouldnt make sense if you didnt if you didnt have it pre-explained and your sister didnt get it. I went opening night with no spoilers and I wasnt confused by it. Also I disagree with everything else you said, especially Luthor being a walking plot device, but regardless this isnt your personal blog
>>
>>81832297
I just said i could see myself being confused by the situation if i didn't know about it already, i can't predict what never happened

>but regardless this isnt your personal blog
Why do you keep saying that? Those posts aren't about my life, i just explained what i thought of the movie. You know, like people have been doing for a month
>>
>>81830846
>>81831268
>>81831279
Responding to your own post won't help
>>
>>81832488
>Why do you keep saying that?

Because if someone can prove there's problems with BvS it makes his job shilling the film harder
>>
I liked it for what it was, not a great film, but good enough that I could get some enjoyment out of it. Hopefully the editor gets fired and they get someone to hold back Snyder to stop all this "3deep5u" stuff
>>
Did your sister at least put out after the movie?
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.