[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was Wreck it Rhino really that bad? Do Tangled and Big Hero 6
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 6
File: disneysnewest.png (1 MB, 458x1618) Image search: [Google]
disneysnewest.png
1 MB, 458x1618
Was Wreck it Rhino really that bad?
Do Tangled and Big Hero 6 deserve their own series?
Does Zootopia set the bar too high for Disney moving forward or is this just about the quality we should be expecting?
Some other question about Frozen?
>>
I thought you ordered them by review scores for a second there
Funny how it actually gets progressively better
>>
It looks like metacritic and IMDB are full of review-bombers
>>
>>80881963
It's appropriate. Disney got to where it is not just through marketing, but through quality. We should expect them to be a smart company and learn from their mistakes. As they awkwardly stumbled into CGI as a medium without the help of Pixar, they got better and better.
>>
>>80881988
Yeah, I really don't get it. Check out Lego Movie and see how strangely better than Zootopia it is according to metacritic but how much better Zootopia is in RT and IMDB.
>>
>>80881916
>Was Wreck it Rhino really that bad?
No, it was great.
>Do Tangled and Big Hero 6 deserve their own series?
No.
>Does Zootopia set the bar too high for Disney moving forward or is this just about the quality we should be expecting?
I don't expect most of their future movies to be as good as Zootopia, to be honest. They'll likely be at least decent though.
>>
>>80881916
No, yes, no, hell no.
>>
>>80881916
Wreck-it-Ralph wasn't a bad movie, but it was rather bland and forgettable. Certainly didn't live up to the hype.

Even then, it was a lot more interesting than Frozen.
>>
>>80881916
It felt a little bit of a let down, truth be told.

The commercials, made it out to be something like the Video Game version of Who Framed Roger Rabbit, and when it turns out to not so much be that it was a little disappointing. I still like the movie, but it really didn't end up being the classic that I was hoping for.
>>
>>80881916

Big Hero 6 is pretty much tailor-made for a television show; Tangled is a throwback to the days where Disney made shows for most of their films but it still seems like an odd choice.
>>
It's too soon to be sure but I think Zootopia might be my new fav Disney movie, bumping Tangled to #2.
>>
>>80887092
I feel the same way. The other movies weren't bad, but Tangled raised the bar for contemporary Disney in such a way that no movie until Zootopia could surpass.
>>
>>80887668
I never make a decision definitively until some time has passed, but I am loving Zootopia to pieces atm. I really want a blu-ray already.
>>
>>80885477
>Big Hero 6 is pretty much tailor-made for a television show
Exactly this. That's one of the reasons I didn't particularly care for the movie, because it was trying to squeeze in everything into that one time frame and make it just one story. It would function so much better as a television show.
>>
>>80881916
No, Tangled doesn't but BH6 would benefit from it, I thought it was middle of the line in terms of a movie but the animation was quite good, and that's unanswerable.
>>
File: zootopia-8KLUTBakedA_SMALL.jpg (4 MB, 4000x1675) Image search: [Google]
zootopia-8KLUTBakedA_SMALL.jpg
4 MB, 4000x1675
>>80881916
WiR wasn't bad. But for me I think it overstayed at Candyland way too much.

Tangled deserves its own series, definitely. BH6, maybe, since it fills the "for boys" quota, and the whole thing feels like one of those Saturday morning cartoons before.

Zootopia sets the bar high, visual quality wise. I also dig the detective story.

Frozen was a mess, though. Not even memeing here.
>>
>>80887092
>>80887668
>>80887699
I have found my people. Tangled and Zootopia are my favorites from the recent Disney line-up.
>>
>>80887794
The problem is that Tangled ended in a good place and didn't leave me wanting more, just wanting more from Disney. Big Hero 6 failed to make appealing characters and instead relied on a group of cliche college kids. The characters were bland and while I expected maybe another movie somewhere down the line, a series was unexpected.
>>
>>80888330
Tangled getting a series just felt like 90s Disney movies that get a series after. It helps that it wasn't bad at all, and they can make a lot of things from Rapunzel exploring her new princess life and her relationship with Eugene.

I wasn't a big fan of BH6 and it just felt like it met the "for boys" quota of Disney. So I'm not surprised it got a series cause the quality felt like a tv series thing and they can continue to fill their quota for boys with the merch.
>>
>>80882072
no it was through marketing, there are plenty of studios that make high quality movies and are nowhere as successfull as disney.
>>
>>80888517
>not just marketing
The post implied that Disney relies on marketing, but has a foundation in quality. If you want pure marketing, look at Minions.
>>
>>80881916
It was great. Only complaint was too much of it was in the Candy Land. Assumed they won't do it in the sequel.

Big Hero 6 can benefit from a Monster of the Week style story. Not sure where they can go with Tangled.

>Does Zootopia set the bar too high for Disney moving forward or is this just about the quality we should be expecting?
I still havent watched it yet due to the longer wait time for it to release so can't say

>Some other question about Frozen?
Frozen is the worst of the bunch despite its popularity ironically. The songs up to and including Let It Go are good (though Let It Go doesn't fit into the narrative) and the snow looks nice but otherwise it's not got much going for it
>>
>>80888444
>Tangled getting a series just felt like 90s Disney movies that get a series after.
It felt like one of those movies that gets a series and the series is garbage trying to ape the movie like Timon and Pumbaa or Tarzan or 101 Dalmatians

Luckily, this did not happen
>>
I always considered Disney movies great for their strong musical numbers, but Frozen's were just bad.
Tangled had some good ones.

WiR and BH6 didn't have any as far as I can remember, besides a montage to 'shut up and drive' which came out of nowhere
>>
>>80888865
Well it's out next year and we don't know if it's shit or not. I'm really hoping it's not.
>>
>>80888916
Mopst Disney movies have a consistency in their songs.

But the guys that did Frozen are all about pop boradway musicals, which tends to lack any kind of consistency, so there's that.

The directors, or someone to do with Tangled say that it was never made as a musical, it just happened to have the characters sing songs.
>>
>>80889218
I like Tangled's approach to musicals.
>>
>>80890354
You mean the approach called "the way Disney normally does songs in the Princess movies"?
>>
>>80890557
Was Aladdin a princess movie?
Great songs in that one
>>
>>80887827
>recent Disney line-up.
>Tangled came out 6 years ago
>>
>>80893597
That's not recent?
>>
>>80888916
How were Frozen's bad? The worst was the troll song, but everything else was solid.
>>
>>80895076
None of them were connected in theme in any sort of way. IT was a hodgepodge broadway pop show, which is the only thing those two know how to write.
>>
>>80895271
You mean like a genre of music or a musical style?
>>
>>80888916
Frozen's music was the least of it's issues aside from the abomination troll song. The only thing is they needed to keep the Hans solo and Lifes too Short in there.

The only good song in Tangled was Mother Knows Best/Reprise.

And speaking of, I'm incredibly butthurt that they're giving her long blonde hair again if this series takes place between the end of the film and the wedding.
>>
>>80897114
I'm way too tired right now because I completely misread "Hans solo" to mean the character.
>>
>>80897114
Mother Knows Best really was the best.
>>
>>80881916
BH6 is made for a series, all their designs are very "low budget" oriented
also they constructed a whole fucking city down to stupid details and made a character generator, so I'd be surprised if it was 2D or didn't use those assets, or at least the basics of them
>>
>>80897728
>and made a character generator
Really?
Geared specifically towards BH6's style or adaptable to other movies?
>>
>>80897189
Well I mean, the production shirts for Frozen were a SW parody poster
>>
File: image.jpg (45 KB, 550x338) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
45 KB, 550x338
What if I told you I grew up with a friend who ended up working at Disney and Gideon is loosely based on me Irl?
> grew up in the south
> was never all that smart, even now
> always was fucking with and bullying others , especially special kids
> eventually grew up, moved around , though the accent never went away
> got fat, as I got older aswell
> eventually I started working at a downtown bakery specializing in pies
> been there for years and I'm gotten pretty damn good at making pie
>>
>>80901263
Post pics.

In your fursuit.
>>
>>80901263
Are you gay?
>>
>>80901263
did you have that fucking gay haircut aswell?
>>
>>80895754
musical style.
Frozen Heart doesn't match with anything, Let it Go is a big broadway showstopper leading into intermission while Anna and Hans' song is very much a teenage romance song, Fixer Upper is a goofy high energy number. None of them have any resemblance to each other which leads to a body that just doesn't feel together.
>>
>>80905324
Pop musical was their style. Please consider The Lion King which has one of the best sets out of all Disney musicals and how Be Prepared and Can You Feel the Love Tonight thematically clash with the vaguely "African" style of the other songs.
>>
>>80906293
Most Disney musicals will always at least have That One Song that clashes with everything else.

Hunchback for example would be wonderfully put together if not for Costanza's song, for example.

Hercules's song fit together with a good style and theme of the work, which is probably why it's one of my favorites, but even Phil's song is just a little too off to really put them all together.

Tangled did a great job of getting the songs to fit as well.
>>
>>80895076
Do You Want to Build a Snowman (or whatever the official name is) is okay, and Let it Go is pretty good. The rest are either completely forgettable or downright bad (Olaf's song and the trolls song). The latter two are terrible not only because they sound bad, but because they're unnecessary. They do nothing to advance the plot or character development. Compare the songs of Frozen to the songs of The Lion King, in which every single one had a purpose and advanced the movie in some significant way. The only one that didn't was The Morning Report, which was cut from the movie probably precisely because it wasn't necessary.
>>
>>80907798
Fixer Upper would've been better in the earlier version of Princess Anna.
>>
File: Winnie the Douche.jpg (101 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Winnie the Douche.jpg
101 KB, 1280x720
>>80881916
You/Disney are forgetting someone...
>>
>>80909195
Fixer Upper would have been better if we had reason to believe that Anna should randomly fall in love with this other guy.
>>
>>80887827
Didn't Bryon Howard co-direct both?
>>
>>80909377
yes
>>
File: early anna & smelly kristoff.jpg (54 KB, 500x324) Image search: [Google]
early anna & smelly kristoff.jpg
54 KB, 500x324
>>80909324
The older version of Princess Anna would've been perpetually disgusted by Kristoff, which would create some sexual tension.
>>
>>80910353
>being disgusted is a sign of sexual tension
In what world?
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.