[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Bright Colors and Jokes Really All It Takes?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 13
I watched Iron Man and Avengers 1 and they were entertaining well enough, particularly Iron Man, but overall, I don't get it.

The hype. The feverish devotion to shutting down critique. The hyperbolic praise.

I mean, there are funny moments and some of the actors are good-looking (Scarlett Johansson, Kat Dennings and the girl from Full House), but I honestly don't see what's so incredibly great about this series.

Yes the costumes and graphics are neat in some instances and there are some "LOL SO FUNNY"s here and there but, really...is that all? What am I missing that makes you guys so over the moon about these things?
>>
>>80875335
Bright and funny is so far flung from the gritty horse shit that action movies are so often, that I think it's more than enough at this point.
>>
I wouldn't go that far, OP, but one of the reasons Winter Soldier wasn't that good was because it was completely devoid of humor.
>>
>>80875335
Avengers 1 is average on its own, the build-up was what made it special. It's more of enjoying the world rather than the story.

Iron Man is still one of the best films in the MCU, the only weakness is the weak villain.
>>
>>80875396
>Bright and funny is so far flung from the gritty horse shit that action movies are so often, that I think it's more than enough at this point.
it really isn't
action movies haven't been gritty since the late 80s

lethal weapon
even die hard got funny with the third one
entire pirates of the caribbean

>>80875335
it's just because they think with the jokes and memes and joss whedon that these things are being gifted to the young people
>>
It's really baffling just how poorly shot the first Avengers movie was. I know Whedon is a tv director but I thought he would bring at least SOMETHING. That whole opening sequence ending in Loki awkwardly laying the back of a pickup truck with his staff pointing out and the ensuing car chase is like amateur hour.
>>
>>80875420
shit taste faggot. There was subtle humor, and why would you insert humor into a espionage superhero movie.

Avengers was the first to create a shared universe with solo films to build up for a huge team up movie, in this genre. Superhero genre is the trend since Spiderman so those are hyped.
>>
>>80875543
>why would you insert humor into a espionage superhero movie.

James Bond still sort of counts but especially the Moore ones
>>
File: f0DcGxp.png (114 KB, 352x438) Image search: [Google]
f0DcGxp.png
114 KB, 352x438
>watching the first Captain America
>feels like a particularly good episode of Agent Carter

This feels weird. But it's not bad.
>>
I don't think those movies are too well recieved, anyway. At least not on /co/. Iron Man got praised because it was the first MCU movie, but few people think it holds up.

And Avengers was just overhyped. I liked it alright because I've been wanting an Avengers movie since I was like 8, and I think it'd be pretty hard to screw up that concept, but I don't think it was really anything that great.

Really, I think that the reason people love Iron Man and Avengers is not because of the bright colors and the jokes, but because there are superheroes in it, and they managed not to fuck up too badly. They got a competent enough director (though I'm not a Buffy fan) and the budget was respectable enough. They respected the audience enough, that's pretty much it. There was a lot that could've gone wrong with those movies, but didn't.
>>
>the girl from Full House

Who?
>>
>I like superhero movies that are dark and edgy
>like my soul

You'll outgrow that phase.
>>
File: 1440343648698.jpg (31 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1440343648698.jpg
31 KB, 300x300
>>80875785
I think he's confusing Elizabeth Olsen with one of the Olsen twins.
>>
>>80875335

It's an action blockbuster movie aimed at kids and families. Done at least competently and it will make bank.

MCU has a formula that works and they haven't deviated from it for the most part.
>>
>>80875335
I like most Marvel movies, but Avengers 1 and 2 are just trash.
>>
>>80875335
laughs are cheap

i'm going for gasps
>>
>>80875814
How? She's actually attractive.
>>
>>80875335

Those are movies for kids, that's all.
>>
File: 1431041528753.jpg (165 KB, 550x800) Image search: [Google]
1431041528753.jpg
165 KB, 550x800
>>80876090
Full House ended more than a decade ago, anon.
Believe it or not, there was a time when the three were hot.
>>
File: green-lantern-movie-costume.jpg (223 KB, 580x469) Image search: [Google]
green-lantern-movie-costume.jpg
223 KB, 580x469
>>80875335
>Is Bright Colors and Jokes Really All It Takes?

Apparently not
>>
I guess it's what /a/ would call, "an entry level series" (of the worst kind). For many people in their teens, right now, it's what first got them into superheroes eight years ago, and they grew up with it. Like Naruto and DBZ for my age group.

The insistence that these films are actually well written is a bit baffling, though.
>>
>>80875335
Don't watch Antman, /co/'s opinion about it, is even more disconnected from what really on screen.
>>
>>80875478
Most of Marvel's movies have really bland cinematography.

I will say this. Even if BvS turns out to be unsuccessful, which I highly doubt, at least nobody will be able to argue that the visuals aren't vastly superior.
>>
>>80875478
Without the big action scene at the end, nobody would praise it. This scene makes most people forget that a big part of Avenger is not interesting, that you're waiting for something good to happen all along.
>>
>>80876428
>at least nobody will be able to argue that the visuals aren't vastly superior.
you don't know /co/
>>
>>80876428
Nobody is going to bother with good cinematography in these movies because they know the capeshit audience doesn't give a fuck about it.
>>
>>80876176
Green Lantern had plenty of problems, all of them unrelated to color or humor. Like the atrocious CGI costume, and the fact that it was disjointed and had no fucking idea what it was doing.
>>
File: 01_ Chitauri Invasion .jpg (446 KB, 1280x532) Image search: [Google]
01_ Chitauri Invasion .jpg
446 KB, 1280x532
>>80875335
>Is Bright Colors and Jokes Really All It Takes?
You have to keep the losses and casualties really low; really really really really low.
>>
File: 1455771573992.jpg (4 MB, 2000x1500) Image search: [Google]
1455771573992.jpg
4 MB, 2000x1500
>>80876458
Which is why based Snyder and based Fong should be getting praise, for doing exactly that. Going above and beyond.
>>
>>80876452
Unfortunately I do. I'm sure people would argue anyway. But at least they'd be wrong.
>>
>>80876491
I'm just glad to not be autistic enough to see anything in these pics.
>>
>>80876490
This will never not be funny. You have to wonder what fucking genius thought people would actually accept this.
>>
>>80876491
>capeshitter casuals talking about cinematography
Oh, this is rich.
Like seeing some self-proclaimed hardcore weaboo talking about how Naruto is one of the best animes ever made.
>>
File: 1455774328640.jpg (3 MB, 2010x1500) Image search: [Google]
1455774328640.jpg
3 MB, 2010x1500
>>80876535
Color? Composition? The complete opposite of pic related?

You don't have to be an autist to see that one just looks better than the other.
>>
>>80876491
>>80876520
>>80876546
It's notorious when a DCuck enters a thread.
>>
>>80875335
are a /tv/ faggot?
>>
>>80876580
I only see random screenshots of a movie.
>>
Fucking normies always gonna praise Avengers and other marvel movies as god tier perfect movies. Always gonna bash Superman because mahreeves. These are the people who vote for Trump.
>>
File: 1458158214326.jpg (8 KB, 224x250) Image search: [Google]
1458158214326.jpg
8 KB, 224x250
>>80876643
>These are the people who vote for Trump.
So pic related is the BvS audience?
>>
>>80876670
looks like it
>>
>>80875335
>Is Bright Colors and jokes
Adds explosions but yes, its all it takes.

Notice how the only arguments against the X-men movies is costume accuracy when their movies are much better than Marvel's. The only bad on X movies is Jlaw.
>>
File: TrumpAnAd.jpg (44 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
TrumpAnAd.jpg
44 KB, 640x480
Here is your MCU fans' president
>>
>>80875335
Who are you talking about that praises these movies as incredible?

They're enjoyable action films with a unique shared universe gimmick. That's pretty much it.
>>
>>80876670
That isnt Keanu. Looks like some guy from /fa/
>>
>>80875335

They're inoffensive and generic.

This means they're entertaining and decent, but they don't risk anything.

When you take risks you can end up with great movies like Batman Begins, MoS, TDK, or TASM1, or you can end up with garbage like TDKR, the average X-Men film, etc.

Iron Man 1 is the most boring goddamned MCU film to ever exst
>>
File: 1R7XXkJ.png (57 KB, 625x656) Image search: [Google]
1R7XXkJ.png
57 KB, 625x656
>>80876755
>MoS
>>
>>80876491
>BvS screen shots have more dramatic imagery aside from a few stills
>second to last is a call back to the DKR

>civil war screen primarily consist of face shots with nothing interesting happening in the background.
>>
>>80876840
Shame both are capeshit and so they are going to be 6/10 flicks
>>
I don't even get the claims that the MCU films are colorful. The costumes have bright colors but the films themselves are so ugly and washed out. Avengers 2 & MOS have the same dark color palette, but at least MOS has lighting that makes the color scheme visually striking
>>
Why are people do people like to pretend these generic blockbusters can be art or something?
They are cash grabs, they will never be competent movies, their plots will never have any kind of depth, they will never deliver any kind of meaningful message.
Just like comics, they are just good guys beating bad guys, or just good guys beating other good guys that aren't that good until a big bad appears and they all become good again.
>>
>>80876793

You're the only one 'batin tonight
>>
>>80876891
can you please fuck off to your containment board
>>
>>80876941

But anon, there was a strip of purple and yellow on Batroc's shitty all black tacticool costume!
>>
>>80877056
He's in the right place, this is where people pretend to know about cinema when they only talk about 200 million and higher budget generic superhero blockbsuters.
>>
>>80877003
>they will never be competent movies
They are competent, though. They're not masterful but aside from IM2 they're all perfectly functional.
>>
>>80877003
/co/ likes to pretend the only movies related to /co/ material aren't garbage.
>>
>>80876793
I'd hesitate to call MoS great (though I'd be less hesitant to do so for DoFP, and think the "average X-Men film" is comparable in quality, if not better, than MoS), but it has good action, visuals, tension and stakes, and is actually capable of generating pathos. Those last two are why its difficult to really become invested in the MCU movies, and the films simply aren't funny enough to pick up the slack; I just sort of took for granted the ability of a film or of a piece of art to elicit an emotional response other than laughter, and just saw it as par for the course, until the MCU movies kept not doing so again and again and again. On one hand, I'm sort of interested in checking out Ant-Man for the possible interaction between Scott through his attempt to redeem himself, and Cassy; on the other hand, I also went into Guardians of the Galaxy and Iron Man 2, expecting more than the hollow wackiness I got, so at this point I expect that I'd be setting myself up for disappointment.
>>
>>80877168
Then don't bother with the MCU, you already lowered your standards enough to consider MoS's action good.
>>
>>80877198
Why wouldn't you?
>>
>>80877198
MoS' action blows anything in the MCU out of the water in terms of superpowered fights. It's not supposed to be like the perfectly choreographed franticness of TWS, it's supposed to be a display of a fight between beings who can liberally use powers capable of destroying city blocks in seconds. You seriously can't watch Thor vs. Loki or Thor vs. Malekith and say that it's superior to any of the fights in MoS.
>>
File: salt.png (334 KB, 1226x632) Image search: [Google]
salt.png
334 KB, 1226x632
>>80875335
I'm not sure what I like more: the quips, the action, or the salty reaction from the /co/ntrarians.
>>
>>80877198
Compared to the low standards that the Thor movies?
>>
>>80875335

> Avengers
> Colour
>>
Man of Steel is objectively the best cape movie ever made.

Prove me wrong without memes are shit you didn't understand.
>>
>>80876714

I don't even get the appeal of this "shared universe' shit in the comic books.

I mean, I'm fucking sitting there enjoying my "X-23 and Sisters" comic when suddenly X-23 is all like "we gotta go see Dr. Strange."

I'm "Seriously? Idgaf, gtfo."

Then later on, I'm sitting there kinda enjoying my "much muties" book and Magik is all like "we gotta go see Dr. Strange" and I'm like..."SERIOUSLY! I DON'T GIVE A FUCK! GET THE FUCK OUT!"

I mean, why do people care that every character shows up in every comic/movie?

It's just unfocused bullshit. Did today's retards hate Batman: TAS? Was Clark Kent walking through the middle of a scene in every fucking episode of that shit?

Do we really need every story to have 13 protagonists?
>>
>>80876793
The whole post was bait.
>>
>>80878022
>Did today's retards hate Batman: TAS?

Many younger people don't know that BTAS exists, because the DCAU ended a decade ago. A friend of mine, who really likes the MCU, wouldn't believe me when I told him that BTAS was connected to STAS, because he pretty much thought that Marvel invented the shared universe concept. I can see this contributing to why the MCU's so heavily praised by casuals, since most of them probably think this, as well.
>>
File: IMG_20160317_184024.jpg (113 KB, 375x667) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160317_184024.jpg
113 KB, 375x667
>>80877654
Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.