[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Powerpuff Girls reboot: FAQ with the executive producers
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 8
File: tumblr_o3nnb6xAsC1v809qjo3_1280.jpg (105 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o3nnb6xAsC1v809qjo3_1280.jpg
105 KB, 1024x576
The Powerpuff Girls reboot: FAQ with the executive producers Nick Jennings and Bob Boyle

https://www.turner.com/node/7391/pdf

Thankfully not *too* cringe-worthy
>>
File: 1455718553760.gif (527 KB, 503x279) Image search: [Google]
1455718553760.gif
527 KB, 503x279
>>80872756
>Bob Boyle is an executive producer on this shit
What the fuck?
>>
File: image.png (302 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
image.png
302 KB, 1280x720
>>80872756
>Palette-wise, we’re trying to make it for younger audiences, so we try to make it bright and colorful. It’s an amalgamation of a lot of years of different types of productions coming together to make this series.
Over the Garden Wall didn't need to be bright and colorful to be great
>>
>>80872962
Is that a problem?
>>
>>80873018
are they implying the original powerpuff girls wasn't bright and colorful? I mean I guess you could argue that early seasons did have funky color levels compared to later seasons like the gamma was too low.

also >we're trying to make it for younger audiences

that's a problem right there, if you have to "try" to make something meant for a younger demographic. instead of just going for a good middle ground, you are alienating age groups that can watch the show. there's toys that say they are for ages X and up, but by trying to dumb down the show for younger audiences, you're essentially making it for ages X-Y.
>>
>>80873018
How is that relevant? How is that even what you took away from that?
>>
>Mentions japanese animation
>Miyazaki
>>
File: patrickjazz.jpg (6 KB, 250x186) Image search: [Google]
patrickjazz.jpg
6 KB, 250x186
>I loved the stylized nature of those shows and how they told the stories. They were influenced by Japanese animation, which I’m a fan of. I’m married to a Japanese-American woman who introduced me to Japanese culture and the kind of media that comes out of Japan. I have an office full of cute toys that are very similar to The Powerpuff Girls, so it’s really in my wheelhouse as far as aesthetics.

>I’m a huge fan of Japanese animation. I love of a lot of the old Miyazaki films, like My Neighbor Totoro. There are a lot of similarities between Miyazaki’s films and The Powerpuff Girls insofar as there’s a lot of action and a lot of charm.

They're trying to hide the power-levels and failing hard.

Also I don't want to sound like a pretentious fag, but how come the only things animators ever list as inspirations are other cartoons and anime and never any books or films or other sorts of influences? I mean, I know it'd be stupid to say Citizen Kane led to the Powerpuff Girls, but I can't help but feel like this whole unspoken trend of "nerds creating for other nerds xD" is part of the reason everything feels so similar and predictable these days.
>>
>>80873100
I'm just wondering how the hell he went from something as stylized as FOP and YYY to this shit.
I know he's not an artist on the show but still...
>>
>>80873206
>how come the only things animators ever list as inspirations are other cartoons and anime
Because the question was about what they like to watch, and what were their favorite cartoons. So they like to watch cartoons.
>>
File: edge3.gif (443 KB, 200x126) Image search: [Google]
edge3.gif
443 KB, 200x126
>>80873018
>We made PPG more bright and colorful
Hey, yea that's a good idea, we all know how drab and dull the colors were in the original.

I should pitch CN my idea of a Black Cat-Horn, it's an air horn with a band of Black Cats attached that you can light when you use the horn.
Because the air horn is just too darn quiet.
>>
I don't get the modern western animation industry's obsession with making every main character an audience surrogate.
>>
>>80873018
>we’re trying to make it for younger audiences, so we try to make it bright and colorful.
I remember an interview where Mccraken said that when writing and storyboarding he didn't think about what the kids would like, he instead did what him and his team liked. that's what made the original so different, it was only trying to appeal to it's self, it didn't have any of that "but, will kids find it funny and appealing?" mentality to it.
>>
File: realism.png (2 MB, 1631x1000) Image search: [Google]
realism.png
2 MB, 1631x1000
>>80872756

>we’re trying to be a little more in-depth and realistic with our characters
>>
>>80873272
That was a later question. When Turner just asked "What are your influences?" they still just brought up cartoons and anime and pretty much nothing else.

>>80873729
This is also what Chuck Jones did back when he was alive and animating. He once said something like when he tried "appealing" to an audience it was fairly forgettable; but when he made what he himself liked making it, he produced his best work.
>>
>>80873954
Perfect
>>
>>80873954
fuckin hell
>>
at least the background artists keep in style
>>
>>80873954
Is that an edit?
Jesus christ!
>>
>>80875083
I noticed that too.
>>
File: ppgbackg.jpg (79 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
ppgbackg.jpg
79 KB, 1024x576
>>80875083
I honestly think this show has some of the best backgrounds I've seen in a while.
Ignoring the fucking awful proportion issues that the animators have introduced here, the BG is fucking amazing.
>>
>>80875322

I agree, the backgrounds are the only things that I've actually liked about the show so far. That's sad.
>>
>>80875322
The house now looks like Sandcrawler.
>>
>>80875322
The intro and backgrounds are the only good things about this reboot. What is with the animators fucking up perspective so consistently?
>>
I want to hate the outro but it's just so cutesy and sugarcoated I can't help but love it.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (17 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
17 KB, 480x360
>>80875934

Well, according to this they're outsourcing the animation to Korea, so...
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.