[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How can you enjoy superman-centric stories? I would understand
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 14
File: Superman.png (177 KB, 344x499) Image search: [Google]
Superman.png
177 KB, 344x499
How can you enjoy superman-centric stories?

I would understand if he was used more as a plot device ala 'we need to get superman here' as if he was a weapon or tool to be utilized by the heroes, but a guy that lives a near perfect life who can practically be defeated by barely anyone be compelling?
>>
File: superman-modern-essentials.jpg (579 KB, 1102x1442) Image search: [Google]
superman-modern-essentials.jpg
579 KB, 1102x1442
>>81821980
He's just a guy who saves people. It's not complicated. It's not a book about "fighting".
>>
>>81821980
It's uplifting to see someone who sees so much ugliness in the world remain hopeful and idealistic and kind. It's compelling to see someone with the power to put his boot on the collective throat of the world, instead try to help it and defend it and strive to inspire it into self betterment.
Even in scenarios like Truth where he lost his powers and was vulnerable, living a far from perfect life, there he was, still putting himself on the line to help those in need.
You watch the news for 5 minutes and its very easy to become afraid of your own shadow. Hal Jordan taught me not to give into the fear, but Superman helps me believe that things aren't as bad as they may seem, and that even when they aren't all that great, that they can get better. He's like a perpetual breath of fresh air.
>>
Still better than reading about trannies pandering to Tumblr like in every Marvel book. Nice shitposting though, Marvelfag
>>
You've clearly been pumped full of shonen for too long so you'll probably never understand.
>>
>>81821980

pretty much every major super hero is like this regardless of there powers

also superman fights people that can kill him
>>
File: gas-allstar-02[1].jpg (546 KB, 970x1156) Image search: [Google]
gas-allstar-02[1].jpg
546 KB, 970x1156
>>81821980
obligatory
>>
File: RCO022.jpg (832 KB, 1280x2005) Image search: [Google]
RCO022.jpg
832 KB, 1280x2005
>>
File: RCO023.jpg (729 KB, 1280x2007) Image search: [Google]
RCO023.jpg
729 KB, 1280x2007
>>81824122
>>
>>81824011
This is from one of the best and most famous superman books though

Most superman stuff is shit
>>
File: RCO024.jpg (825 KB, 1280x2001) Image search: [Google]
RCO024.jpg
825 KB, 1280x2001
>>81824140
>>
File: RCO025.jpg (697 KB, 1280x2019) Image search: [Google]
RCO025.jpg
697 KB, 1280x2019
>>81824158
>>
>>81821980
Final Crisis is a Superman story.
>>
>>81824141

most capeshit is bad. The same way most music is bad. and most films are bad.
>>
File: originals-mccrea-hitman-02.jpg (122 KB, 580x878) Image search: [Google]
originals-mccrea-hitman-02.jpg
122 KB, 580x878
>>81824141
Most comics in general are shit. You just find the stories you like.
>>
File: what superman looks like.png (86 KB, 410x750) Image search: [Google]
what superman looks like.png
86 KB, 410x750
>>81821980
Because sometimes I just wanna watch someone who can do anything choose to do good.
It makes me happy.
>>
>>81822563
Nice company wars bro, shouldn't you be posting on /tv/?
>>
Could someone storytime some golden age shit please?
>>
>>81821980
Dialoges are usually better than in batman stories, since those are more natural.
You have with brooding all the time only this much variety.
>>
File: 888.jpg (106 KB, 900x675) Image search: [Google]
888.jpg
106 KB, 900x675
>>81822563
>Marvel
>pandering to Tumblr

You johnny-come-lately casuals sure do have a selective memory when it comes to your corporate favoritism.
>>
>>81824158
>You don't deserve to be Clark Kent

Never change Luthor.
>>
>>81821980
>How can you enjoy superman-centric stories?

I like it when he punches something so hard it explodes

That only works if the artist is really good at conveying action though

All the emotional shit in modern Superman is a bit much though I'm here to read about a guy who catches airplanes, rescues kittens, and punches evil gods so hard they shit their teeth out

I'm not here for fucken Spider-Man shit
>>
>>81826799
Why even read comics? Just look for pictures of Superman fighting people.
>>
>>81827170

Because sometimes he says something neat too

Right before he punches some cunt in the mug
>>
>>81821980
Well, not all stories are plot-driven for one.

Most of Superman's better stories, like All Star, For All Seasons and Peace on Earth are either character studies or use him as an allegory.

The issue is that most people, when they think 'cape comic' only think 'plot-driven stories' because that's how most cape comics work, but I don't think it's how Superman best works.
>>
>>81827248

Is an allegory the one where he punches dudes and then hugs sad people
>>
>>81823744
This is actually true.

I for one actually did get into manga way before comics. Every time I looked at comics, it was with a "muh power levels" mentality; "if Superman is so perfect and overpowered then what's the point of him as a main character", and then there's all the alternate universe nonsense and time travel and reboots and other continuity-breaking things. It just didn't make sense or appeal to my weeb self. My first attempts to get into comics actually were to read some lore of the universe itself and even power rankings.

Really, the only way to go from manga to comics is to just understand that it is different, that it may not make much sense, and just start reading any series that at all appeals to you or looks interesting with that understanding and an open mind.
>>
>>81827296
Nah. I think that Peace on Earth is a interesting case that's an allegory and a character study, actually. If you ever get the chance, give it a read. Alex Ross art is very take it or leave it (I love it, but I know many who hate it), but it's an interesting short story.
>>
>>81827587

I've read peace on earth and I thought it was okay but it was a bit much with the justifying non-interventionism bit

Like I know interventionism is bad but Supes ain't me
>>
>>81827634
I don't think it was trying to justify it, but that is the allegory I was referring to.

It's more a look at the complexities of intervention, and how it can both benefit and have negative consequences.

Personally, I've considered writing a story where Superman saves a boatload of migrants sinking in the Mediterranean and is then caught in a quagmire of where they should be set down, but trying to write it has made me realise how complicated the issue is.
>>
>>81827764
I think Superman would either default to their destination if it's close by or the nearest EU country that wouldn't kick them out.

That or he takes them directly to Metropolis and the immigrants are welcomed with open arms and have instant homes and jobs waiting for them.
>>
>>81827485
I had this problem too, but I still won't read western comics that aren't self-contained.
>>
>>81827764
You could ham it up and have supes build them a city on an island. But if you're going for something more serious try looking to see if anything similar has happened in real life and how that was handled.
>>
>>81821980
He makes me feel better.

Like no matter how shit things get, there's always something worth looking forward to.

Also, I think there's a lot that can be done--and has been done--with superman. Look at the JLU cartoon--a big portion of the storyline is Superman dealing with the fact that in his pursuit of saving people, he'd started acquiring tremendous amounts of power, and alienating human society.
>>
File: AC05[1].jpg (137 KB, 500x489) Image search: [Google]
AC05[1].jpg
137 KB, 500x489
>>81828269

So why didn't he just use heat vision to solve the problem

Heat vision solves everything
>>
>>81828052
>You could ham it up and have supes build them a city on an island.

You know that's the good kind of Silver Age shit and I kind of want to write this conclusion now.
>>
>>81828319
Because you can't punch society better, which is what makes it interesting.
>>
File: WB001-11.jpg (105 KB, 537x389) Image search: [Google]
WB001-11.jpg
105 KB, 537x389
>>81828386
It's actually pretty tame
>>
File: 180oeb5v3zxdhjpg.jpg (62 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
180oeb5v3zxdhjpg.jpg
62 KB, 640x360
>>81828319
>>
>>81828052
>put a bunch of immigrants on an island cut off from society
Talk about extreme.
>>
>>81821980
>but a guy that lives a near perfect life who can practically be defeated by barely anyone be compelling?
Man this is such bullshit though. I mean, did you even try to read his Post Crisis beginnings(Bryne's run)? If you'd just look you'd see that assessment of Kal is outdated bullshit. Or if you don't want to go back in time, check his Nu52 shit. I honestly think Clark has had his shit pushed in by every major villain in the Nu52 so far.
>>
File: superman-spiderman03.jpg (146 KB, 900x596) Image search: [Google]
superman-spiderman03.jpg
146 KB, 900x596
>>81821980

They are always entertaining. He's just a really cool dude. He'll always try to help people or do the right thing, the fun part is seeing HOW he does. You can put him in all sorts of situations. There are comics where it's nothing but Clark being a reporter and telling a story that he's investigating, or bringing food to impoverished nations and dealing with the way governments fear his intervention.

He's inspired the Legion of Superheroes way the hell in the future, an entire supporting cast and group of friends for him to interact with and make time travel stories fun, in addition to goofy antics in Smallville and at the Daily Planet.

A lot of his stories are just about what lengths he goes to in order to save or help people in the face of danger, or even certain death, like All-Star.

Secret Origin is all the classic Superman elements in a nutshell, going from Superboy to Superman, meeting the Legion, getting a dog, inspiring people and finding problems that he can't just punch.

New52 Action by Morrison is a cool homage to the Golden Age at first with a slightly cocky, rookie Superman and he gives some great insight as to how Clark disguises himself. I view Man of Steel an

For the Man Who Has Everything shows what it's like when a very calm, collected Superman has his mind toyed with and friends brutalized in front of him. Even more fun than that, it shows that Superman is just like us and meets up with his friends on his birthday, except it's in his fortress, not his regular apartment.

I like Man of Steel and BvS because I just see them as Elseworlds where Clark wasn't lucky enough to get minor challenges in his first superhero outings, and always has his back against the wall.

Even stupid shit like Injustice is worth sitting through just to see Superman finally come through, tell the bad guys to knock it the fuck off, and take out Regime Supes.

Birthright's kinda poopy though, but this is just about more notable ones in recent years.
>>
>>81821980
>but a guy that lives a near perfect life

I don't read Superman comics the post.
>>
>>81828430
>Because you can't punch society better

Yeah that's why you use lasers from space

If it's good enough for SHIELD, it's good enough for Superman
>>
>>81830325
>If it's good enough for "0 days since last international safety compromise" it's good enough for Superman
>>
Probably because I don't need my characters to be miserable fucks to find them compelling. Wangst isn't depth.
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.