[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Whatever happened to Saturday morning cartoons? That shit was
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: wb.png (679 KB, 1019x753) Image search: [Google]
wb.png
679 KB, 1019x753
Whatever happened to Saturday morning cartoons?

That shit was the epitome of my childhood
>>
When Pokemon came along, Fox was like, OK THIS IS POPULAR, lets just localize whatever anime kids might like, so 4kids came along and did that with Foxbox. Meanwhile, Disney realized kids liked the programming on their main channel, so they just showed repeats of those shows on ABCs. But the ratings on all the main channels declined, so Saturday Morning Cartoons are no longer a thing outside repeats and educational stuff.
>>
>>80870975
The Internet happened
>>
File: spongebob ahhhhh.jpg (41 KB, 500x374) Image search: [Google]
spongebob ahhhhh.jpg
41 KB, 500x374
>>80871032

Educational Television

OH NOOOOOOO!
>>
>>80871061
who the fuck doesnt internet while they tv?
i cant imagine why ratings went down but i know i had trouble waking up early for that shit. sometimes i'd get up, watch a few key shows, then have a wank and fall asleep and get up later and watch the REALLY early show that i had already taped. god i miss having a tv-vcr. no modern shit tapes shit from tv that easily.. they made SURE of that. though obviously now we have rips on mega within minutes, so that's fine.
>>
>>80870975

>Whatever happened to Saturday morning cartoons?

Regulations regarding advertising and educational content, the rise of cable networks like Cartoon Network, and competition from other forms of media.
>>
>>80871032
>>80871514
Did the TV execs feel that children should be fed education on a Saturday morning?
>>
>>80871560

TV execs? No. Government types? Yes.
>>
>>80870975
They became obsolete once channels like Nick and CN became popular.

I miss KidsWB
>>
>>80871601
Thanks Obama
>>
>>80870975
internet and netflix means you can watch cartoons when ever the fuck you want
>>
>>80871645

Pretty sure those regulations were signed back in the Clinton days. Thank Big Bill for 'em.
>>
>>80870975
Rendered unnecessary thanks to cable channels and streaming outfits like Netflix and Hulu.
>>
>>80871690
IIRC, they were signed even earlier, during Bush Sr.'s tenure.
>>
>>80871560
I mean, what they qualified as 'education' was really loose - it's why Sailor Moon had to literally tack on a message at the end of each episode in the USA.
>>
>>80871639
That's probably the best guess.

24-hour cartoon and kids' programming networks of basic cable displaced the demand for Saturday morning cartoons and after-school programming blocks of the broadcast networks.
>>
>>80871514
That was a LONG time ago though. that was already abolished by this time. that shit was in response to transformers and GI joe and shit.
>>
>>80870975
well, as i recall, with the WB, the CEO who took over in the early 2000's hated the idea of having children's entertainment on their network and began a campaign of purging until nothing was left.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.