[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why didn't Shazam get his own New 52 comic?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 8
Why didn't Shazam get his own New 52 comic?
>>
>>80867704

Because the wizard is old and nobody cares about what the fuck he does.
>>
>>80867704
He did
>>
he got the back up yeah but it basically served the same purpose
>>
I'm still surprised we're getting a Blue Beetle book before Shazam.
Either Teds gonna be around a lot sooner than expected in the DCEU or Shazam is still a long way away
>>
>>80867704
>Shazam

Don't touch me, you flithy fucking casual.
>>
>>80867765
That's his name now, cry some more
>>
>>80867728
I really like you

>>80867704
Geoff Johns is a selfish cunt that doesnt let others play with his toys even when he is not using them.

I'm so glad most of his "contributions" got softretconned in the DW shazam issue.
>>
They don't feel they have the material or the marketing for a strong push and sales, I guess?
>>
>>80867784
>That's his name now

Is not. Is the name of a new character based on Captain Marvel. But is not Captain Marvel.
>>
>>80867803
Whatever you say anon
>>
>>80867803
Only pedantic autists care about the difference.
>>
>>80867704
How does he say his name in the comics now without transforming?
>>
File: image.jpg (554 KB, 900x1384) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
554 KB, 900x1384
The Darkseid War One-shot was fucking awesome. Too bad I can't get an ongoing about the "God of Gods"
>>
>>80867847
He has to say it with meaning/power/intent to change
>>
>>80867803
Well this new Character is a much more dynamic that better captures the spirit of the original big red cheese.
>>
>>80867788
Hate to break it to you anon, but Johns and Snyder are the only DC writers who can write a Shazam ongoing and not have it flop after three issues.
>>
>>80867857
That one god chick was hot as fuck.
>>
File: CaptainMarvel.jpg (179 KB, 733x1100) Image search: [Google]
CaptainMarvel.jpg
179 KB, 733x1100
>>80867803
There's only one Captain Marvel around here motherfucker
>>
>>80867818
Only people that actually likes and cares about the character care about that. Plebs don't.

>>80867847
No he has to mean it ;)
>>
>>80867915
Oh so its like an actual spell now then. Well that works way better.
>>
>>80867857
It was great. It made more for the character than the entire JL run.

>>80867866
>this is what Johnsfags believe
>>
>>80867870
I suggest them for the Shazam movie.
>>
>>80868134
>billy batson was better as a one-dimensional relic of an era that was way before his time.
Billy Batson and the magic of Shazam isn't about being a Norman Rockwall painting, it's about wish fulfillment to be a superhero.
>>
File: 1447246562938.jpg (1 MB, 950x1442) Image search: [Google]
1447246562938.jpg
1 MB, 950x1442
>>80867857
Whatever happened with that? Did he revert back to his old pantheon at the end or is this his new pantheon going forward?

Still can't get over how cool this art is.
>>
>>80868996
New pantheon goin on forward. He recently used the power of H'ronmeer for fire-breathing.
>>
>>80868996
Soft retcon on most of Johns stuff

>>80868396
It should had been an earth one book, Johns got rid of: the lords of chaos and magic, the god pantheon, the wizard became an abo instead of a merlinesque character, actual magic.
And he gave us a generic street kid. It was a movie script, nothing more and it didnt get any delevolment. It was shit, 5 wasted years.
>>
>>80869666
What's wrong with the wizard being an Abo? He still felt like an ancient sorcerer so I don't really see the problem.
>>
>>80867891
He's only relevant because he died.
>>
>>80869666
>Lords of Chaos and Magic
Are you talking about the Lords of Chaos and Order and how the Wizard was one? Because that's not really important to Shazam.
>>
>>80869666
I would rather have a street kid than opie from Mayberry. At least the street kid showed actual character and development.
>>
>>80869760
>whats wrong with getting rid of a Western myth that is over 800 years old

Shazam plays the role of merlyn, and billy is arthur. That's the problem, The wizard belong to southern europe-middle east. Abos didnt had myths or a real religion.
>>
>>80869813
>Because that's not really important to Shazam.

>The magic world isnt important to the champion of magic.
>>
>>80869933

Sure Johnsfag.
>>
>>80870009
When the last time the lords of chaos and order actually matter to DC magic?
>>
>>80869994
>more Arthurian wank
Fuck that gimmie some of that dreamtime and song lines.
>>
>>80867818
So 99% of comic fans?
>>
>>80870152
>>more Arthurian wank

Arthurian wank is better than generic magic negro.
>>
>>80869994
>Shazam is merlin
No Shazam was a cliche, the elderly white bearded wizard image is fucking unimaginative for revitalization.
>billy is Arthur
No he isn't. Billy doesn't have a destiny to be some kind messianic leader, he's just a kid with a good heart.
>>
>>80870208
Merlin types are more generic than magic negroes at this point.

Abos aren't negroes though
>>
>>80870208
Fucking Arthurian fantasy is generic. It's right up there Tolkien elves for storytelling, itvs been done.
>>
So why doesn't Johns want to give the Shazam book to someone else?

At this rate we won't ever get an ongoing.
>>
>>80870276
Tolkien elves actually don't see much use. The d&d mutation of them gets far more show
>>
>>80870009
>the magic world isn't important to Shazam
Not what I said, I said Lords of chaos and irder isn't important to Shazam.
>>
>>80870276
It's less generic than curse of Shazam. It's pretty sad how the same people that defend the changes are the ones that either didnt like Captain Marvel in the first place or fanboys of Johns, the same ones that claim his new gods are not complete shit.
>>
>>80870324
Generic isn't a buzzword you can use when you have nothig to actually say. It actually means something so please stop using ot in the wrong context.
>>
File: the dreaming or dreamtime.jpg (385 KB, 1158x623) Image search: [Google]
the dreaming or dreamtime.jpg
385 KB, 1158x623
>>80869994
>Abos didnt had myths or a real religion

No wonder your opinions such shit. You don't know anything (stuff like Sandman already took a lot from Abo mythology). At least I can stop asking myself when we'll get a Shazam ongoing, since anything we get, going forward from this, will just be more of the same of what I can find pre-reboot, anyways.
>>
>>80870324
>less generic
How? Explain what the fuck you mean when you call CoS generic.
>>
>>80870302

He wants HIS version of the character to be the only influence on the movie.
>>
>>80870442
And it probably will be. Curse of Shazam was very cinematic.
>>
>>80870509
>Curse was 80's kid movie
FUCK YEAH IT WAS FUCKING LOVE ME SOME SHAZAMMIES.
>>
What if DCEU Billy uses the new pantheon?
>>
>>80870509
>CoS was an 80s kid movie
You say that like it's a bad thing.
>>
>>80870608
They'll probably want to go with the more well-known gods.
>>
>>80867704
the cereal king is too busy doing tv shows to make an ongoin.
>>
>>80867704
Nobody gives a shit about Shazam except Geoff Johns.

I'm a huge fan of the character but it's obvious DC is too afraid to do anything with him because they think he's too much like Superman. I'll be fucking amazed if the movie actually comes out.
>>
>>80874015
I'm glad we're at least getting the mezco figure.
>>
>>80869760
>What's wrong with the wizard being an Abo?
/co/ is /pol/ 2.0 and hate Black people and consider any Black people in their comics as trying to steal them.
Just look at the racists that hated the Black Johnny Storm and Black Josie from the new Archie series. They really also hate Miles Morales.
>>
>>80876129
People hate Miles because he's boring, not because he's black.
>>
>>80876163
>Miles is boring meme
Hi /pol/.
>>
>>80876129
>>80876231
>/co/ is /pol/ 2.0
Never visit /v/ if you're that easily offended
>>
>>80874015
Morrison, Steve Orlando and whoever who is writing Future's end seem to be able to write about Billy no problem, i think the issue isn't with the writers is with editiorial
>>
>>80876234
Shouldn't you be there now hanging out with your GamerGate Pals?
>>
File: 1348193087685.jpg (61 KB, 1311x210) Image search: [Google]
1348193087685.jpg
61 KB, 1311x210
>>80870324
way of projecting there man, I liked Curse of Shazam no problem but that doesn't mean i didn't liked old school cap, hell the Power of Shazam ongoing is still my favorite version of the character closely followed by Jeff Smith take of the character, but that doesn't stop me from appreciating a new take on the character that hasn't been tried before.
>>
So how different is Billy with his new pantheon? Does he have the same powers, but just drawing strength from a new set of gods that spell SHAZAM?
>>
>>80876409
so far the biggest and most noticeable difference is that he can conjure magic fire beside the magic Lightning, he initially couldn't fly but is implied once he defeats Yuga Khan he gains the ability again plus the ability to use Source manipulation, whatever that means we have yet to see.
>>
>>80869781
>he's only relevant because of a good story.
>>
>>80876459
Wait nu52 Billy couldnt fly before? Thats weird. Still the magic fire seems like a nice addition, wouldnt mind it staying. Source manipulation just sounds incredibly broken
>>
>>80876541
I'm talking about nu52 Billy POST pantheon change, before that he basically had the same powerset he had in prenu52 DC with the only difference on how the magic word worked and that nu52 Billy can empower others without losing his own power.
>>
>>80867704
Because you wouldn't shut the fuck up about it
>>
>>80870324
>"the changes"

Ok can we talk about this for a few seconds

Johns obviously has/had plans to expand his series. The story wasn't meant to end with the origins, there was the obvious Sivana/Mind tease, but more subtle things like Francesa never being explained and Black Adam's past being ambiguous (whether or not he killed his Nephew).

I think Johns intended to do the gods at some point but never got around to it. He's got the character on creative lockdown. He's a fucking bronze age/nostalgia fag, he's the person most likely to go back to old ideas and expand on them. The first thing he did with Hal after rebirth was have him rescue his old supporting characters.

He's the one who outlined Darkseid War, it's his story. Do you think he handed the one shots off to people and told them to do whatever they want? Fuck no. He had plans for each of them as they fit within his story.

I'm sure whenever he does the ongoing (if at this point), he'll restore the old pantheon, because Johns is always about getting back to the basics.
>>
>>80876772
>(whether or not he killed his Nephew)
the books seem pretty clear that he killed him, especially at the part when he turns back to mortal form ans suddenly the regret comes back, what was left implied but never confirmed is that it may have been Adam who killed the rest of the counsel of the rock of eternity, in the concept art for him it was even implied he would have blackened hands due the ashes of the other wizards he killed but the idea went unused.
>>
>>80876129
>Black josie
but what about Valerie?
>>
File: new-pantheon.png (272 KB, 529x278) Image search: [Google]
new-pantheon.png
272 KB, 529x278
>>80876541
here is the new pantheon
>>
>>80876280
>All those literally whos
Come the fuck on, DC.
>>
>>80876772
I was hoping Johns would expand on francesca and Mr. Mind. I hope his comic won't end on a permanent cliffhanger
>>
>>80880410
Wrong thread there chief. Unless Matt suddenly became earths mightiest mortal
>>
>>80867704

DC hates money. It honestly wouldn't sold that well but it would have been a solid 25000 - 35000 each month so I don't know why they tried stuff like Men of War and Hawk and Dove instead. It was also strange not to give Cyborg a solo when they were trying to up his profile
>>
>>80879577
who was francesca again? i haven't read it in a long time
>>
>>80879577
>Mister Mind
Shit, we havent seen that guy in forever have we? He ran off with the Doc then POOF! nada
>>
>>80874015
>Nobody gives a shit about Shazam except Geoff Johns.
Fuck off. The whole problem was that Johns blocked other writters
he was a SELFISH CUNT THAT DIDNT DO shit with the changes he did to the character, 4 years had passed and it was already retconned.
>>
>>80867758
Or it will pretty obviously be Jaime again.
>>
>>80881041
But I doubt it really was.
>>
>>80881066
Except they're setting up Ted for the DCEU and they explicitly showed Ted as BB alongside Jaime as BB in the Rebirth video.
Johns also intro'd Ted in FE a while back and has been meaning to do something with him for a while.
>>
>>80876772
>I think Johns intended to do the gods at some point but never got around to it. He's got the character on creative lockdown. He's a fucking bronze age/nostalgia fag, he's the person most likely to go back to old ideas and expand on them. The first thing he did with Hal after rebirth was have him rescue his old supporting characters.
>He's the one who outlined Darkseid War, it's his story. Do you think he handed the one shots off to people and told them to do whatever they want? Fuck no. He had plans for each of them as they fit within his story.

He also had plans for aquaman, the metal men, the CSA, Wally west. etc.
He had plans, and blocked every other writter for working with the character and he did nothing, As usual. Johns doesnt know mythology and sucks at the magic part of DC, he has tried to replace Endless's death twice. First in blackest night and now in DW.
>>
>>80881130
He blocked Morrison, twice.
>>
>>80881131
Don't get your hopes up because Booster's also supposed to be getting an appearance and think about all the time we've spent with him over the past 5 years. A shitty monthly JLI book, a Futures End tie-in, and a Convergence mini. That's fuckin it.
>>
File: stop.png (88 KB, 293x282) Image search: [Google]
stop.png
88 KB, 293x282
>they're still hoping for Johns Shazam ongoing

It's been three years
Get over it
Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.