[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Remember when Generation Lost ended and we saw this and got hyped?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1
File: JL-GenerationLost024042.jpg (490 KB, 1280x1965) Image search: [Google]
JL-GenerationLost024042.jpg
490 KB, 1280x1965
Remember when Generation Lost ended and we saw this and got hyped? The gang was going to be brought back together Generation Lost was great so no way could they mess up the New JLI. Then it came out and it was basically DC taking a dump on our hopes and dreams. Good times
>>
>>81817337

Flashpoint was a goddamned travesty for so many reasons. DC had just ironed out their last few weird continuity messes. They were ready to just tell stories instead of constantly tripping over themselves. Nope, can't have that though.
>>
>>81817403
It really just makes me more and more angry everytime I think about it. Theyd worked themselves into a great fucking place and then made the biggest fucking idiot editorial decision of all time in an industry plagued with idiot editorial decisions. It was like they had to top OMD and so they just OMD'd their entire universe.
It just pains me because I honestly don't know if DC can recover from it. It was so big. Fucked so much at a time when the whole industry is walking a tight rope over extinction to begin with. Then you throw shit movies made by studio execs who don't know comics, the exact opposite of Marvel's key to film success, and DC is just... It's floundering.
It's sad to watch.
>>
>>81820020
There's a lot of good shit published post-new 52, even if they didn't need the reboot
>>
>>81820020
It's floundering in floppy sales, they do dynamite with trades

Hence Rebirth
>>
>>81820068
>>81820077
Thanks you two gave me some hope. I guess it just really felt like the whole nu52 immediately followed by convergence was the reboot that broke the camel's back. I mean how many versions of Superman are just sort of clogging up the timeline now? Do any of these characters even have something approaching a sensible life story any more?
But I guess that's always been part and parcel to DC, it's just more so now.
>>
>>81820598
>the whole nu52 immediately followed by convergence
"4 years" and "immediately followed" are not the same thing at all
>I mean how many versions of Superman are just sort of clogging up the timeline now?
2 on the main earth
>Do any of these characters even have something approaching a sensible life story any more?
Did they before?
>>
>>81817403
>>81820020
I dunno what you morons are on about but DCs line was utter shit before New 52
You faggots literally want grounded instead of Morrison's Action
>>
>>81820667
Technically, Cornell Action instead of Morrison Action, and Grounded instead of Perez/Jurgen Superman

you're not wrong
>>
>>81820811
>replacing one good book with another and one bad with another
New 52 in general.
>>
>>81820811
Morison Action was a lot better than Cornell's, jesus christ.
>>
Actually Flashpoint SAVED the JLI. Winnick flat out DIDN'T get the JLI and actively raped the cast (shitting on Ted, Max, Ice, etc).

Nu52 Kurgans JLI was also the BEST of the launch JL titles and would have made Trinity Wars actually GOOD had Geoff not thrown a shit fit and ki!led JLI and replaced it with that steami g pile of random garbage JLoA
>>
>>81822660
>best
>generic superheroing followed by benching half the cast with a bomb
>>
>>81822702
It was better than Jimtice Leegue or Peter Milligan hasn't written a good book since X-Static and this is no exception Dark
>>
>>81820634
My god. Has it been 4 years already?

It's just such an outlandish approach as we all know. The fix for too much convoluted continuity is just to ignore it like Marvel used to before all this universe merger shenanigans. How has DC not learned by now that all a gigantic reboot does is make things worse. It's like the fourth goddamn time they've done it and it gets worse everytime. Cause it's only a matter of time before writers want to bring back shit they care about and instead of just bringing it back with a wink and letting the readers roll with it they instead have to address the giant hole in the universe that each reboot creates.
>>
>>81820667
No I wanted more Batman Inc and a proper ending to Morrison's run instead of the late term abortion that we got.
>>
>>81823473
They've done it twice
>>
>>81824155
Crisis on Infinite Earths
Zero Hour
Superboy Reality Punch
Flashpoint
Convergence

That's just off the top of my head
>>
>>81824313
reboot
event
event
reboot
event
>>
>>81824313
CoIE and Flashpoint are the only hard reboots

Zero Hour was just fixing some weird continuity issues, the universe was still the same, and Infinite Crisis and Convergence were fiddling with the multiverse, the main universe remained the same after both aside from a few multiversal immigrants
>>
>>81824445
Well they're events that make large alterations to the universe and timeline in an attempt to clean up what is a fundamentally chaotic universe. The DC Universe is a combo of dozens of other comic book companies, it'll never entirely fit together and thats half the fun of the thing is seeing these concepts and characters that should be antithetical bounce off each other and combine in unexpected and innovative ways.
Morrison takes the correct approach in trying to create a natural connective tissue between these disparate elements, but the people in charge over there keep thinking they can just strongarm this thing into making sense in the hope that it will attract new readers somehow in a way they've never really explained.

If you want to get new readers then start selling issues in checkout aisles of grocery/department/bookstores. You don't get them by making the universe more accessible because new readers don't give a shit about the universe, the problem is that the comics themselves are inaccessible to most people who are never going to Google where their nearest comic book store is, if there even is one.
>>
>>81824738
They're literally shifting focus to bookstore trade sales, that was half the point of DCYou
>>
>>81817337
As long as editors keep trying to sell us on the nostalgia instead of the actual story we will never have a good jli book.

>>remember how good this was! Buy this book
>>. Why aren't you buying this awesome throwback book, that is missing key elements, and that doesn't fit the image were pressing on you!
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.