[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Next to Andy Dick, was Shauna the lowest point in the Simpsons'
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 179
Thread images: 20
File: Shauna_kisses_bart.jpg (44 KB, 799x449) Image search: [Google]
Shauna_kisses_bart.jpg
44 KB, 799x449
Next to Andy Dick, was Shauna the lowest point in the Simpsons' entire history?
>>
Even worse she's a recurring character now.
>>
>>80845143
Well, she is kind of unique in that she's one of the few teenagers on the show. She's not _awful_.
>>
Absolutely. In a thread asking which characters should never have been created, I said Crazy Cat Lady. But I take that back. Shauna is by far the Simpsons' most unfunny, uninteresting and un-Simpsons-like character. A representation of all that is wrong with Zombie Simpsons.
>>
I don't mind Shauna. Gil, on the other hand...
>>
Don't see how she's worse than anyone else on the show. The jokes done with her as a teenage slut aren't funny, but I haven't cringed my teeth yet from her unlike many other characters on the show now.
>>
she's the least of the show's problems now
>>
I don't know if I'm just too apathetic to care about simpsons canon anymore, but having a slutty teenager as a semi-semi-recurring character is nothing

are people mad because (I think) she's Chalmer's daughter? like every character in the show has kids by now
>>
>>80845923
What about Principal Skinner?

>inb4 someone saying I'm shitposting about hating a character that was there from the start

No, you know who I'm talking about, the "real" Skinner. Not Armin.
>>
Shauna was the best that Bart will get. His life has peaked.
>>
>>80845143
No, that would be when they sold out to do the crossover Harry Shearer wanted, because he was threatening to walk if they didn't do it. They'd already paid him so much that even if he'd retired and lived off residuals for the last 20 years, he'd still be very, very comfortable right now and for the foreseeable future. Then after he got his crossover at the end of season 3, he started literally phoning it in - he hasn't been to LA to record in 20 years - and simultaneously bitching about how the show's quality had gone to hell and he didn't care about it any more.

Ironically when they crossed over with an actual animated series featuring a recurring cast member a few years later, everybody on staff thought they'd sold out. I guess Shearer must have seemed like a big star to them all back in the early years.
>>
>>80846899
>Then after he got his crossover at the end of season 3, he started literally phoning it in - he hasn't been to LA to record in 20 years - and simultaneously bitching about how the show's quality had gone to hell and he didn't care about it any more.

He came into the studio and worked with the rest of the staff until about 2003-ish.
>>
Why the fuck do people still work with Andy Dick?
>>
>>80846589
She's not integral to why the show sucks nowadays obviously, but she sits in there on the show's largest missteps easily.

She's also a large representation for how the show's writers nowadays do not realize their own characters. I don't think they know how creepy Shauna is because they don't see Bart as he actually is anymore: A TEN YEAR OLD BOY.

except the audience still is aware of the fact that he's a ten year old boy, because this should be a show that's somewhat grounded in reality. and having a girl that looks at least seventeen constantly making out with A TEN YEAR OLD BOY is really offsetting and just a fucking weird choice. but the writers legit don't care. "she's a misanthropic slutty teenager! it's funeeeeee"

he's ten

just... gross
>>
File: Julio.jpg (30 KB, 345x293) Image search: [Google]
Julio.jpg
30 KB, 345x293
No, I'm pretty sure that's this guy.
>>
at least julio is somewhat interesting and not being shoved down the viewers throat
>>
I think it's annoying how she keeps getting put in the new plot lines. They even have her voiced by Tress instead of a guest star so they can reuse her any time they want.
>>
Does she really appear that much now? Granted I don't watch Simpsons regularly at all anymore so I guess I wouldn't know.
>>
Shauna is just a really pointless character who does pretty much nothing of value. She's not good but I still say Julio and Cookie Kwan are way worse.
>>
>>80847302
>Does she really appear that much now?
No
>>
>>80847029
>except the audience still is aware of the fact that he's a ten year old boy, because this should be a show that's somewhat grounded in reality. and having a girl that looks at least seventeen constantly making out with A TEN YEAR OLD BOY is really offsetting and just a fucking weird choice. but the writers legit don't care. "she's a misanthropic slutty teenager! it's funeeeeee"

Wasn't that contained to the one episode with her dating Bart? I have only seen that episode once so I forgot what she actually did in it. I agree with that though. she is definitely glaring evidence on the writers' lack of self-awareness if THAT can slip through the cracks.

On her own though, she's really no different than the bullies, Cletus, Brandine, or any other one-note character that gets shoehorned in just to be dysfunctional and awful.
>>
She's really more of a bland character than the worst one on the show. I do agree that her dating Bart was creepy af, but the episode as a whole was more forgettable than anything.
>>
>>80847150
>>80847204
>>80847323
Daily reminder that the next new episode will have Smithers hooking up with Julio and that Al Jean seems to be seriously pushing some sort of Burns/Smithers plot.

get ready for gay
>>
>>80847362
>I have only seen that episode once so I forgot what she actually did in it
I think at one point in the episode she showed Bart her boobs which was the worst part of the episode.
>>
Shauna is my second favorite teenage character that made out with a 10 year old.
>>
>>80847493
Who's the first?
>>
>>80847545
Darcy of course. :-D
>>
Shauna is a bad character, but since her initial appearance, she's just been there as a dumb background character (as dumb as Cletus or Disco Stu or any other one dimensional joke character, anyway). Julio the gay hairdresser is easily the worst character; he's a lazy stereotype with absolutely no redeeming value.
>>
>>80846899
>crossover

you mean The Critic? I liked itunsure if unpopular opinion
>>
>>80847325
Okay. I thought she'd made more appearances but I guess she didn't. Still agree that her and Julio are some of the worst characters since the HD switch.
>>
I tend to forget Julio is a supporting character. I always think of him as being a one-timer.
>>
Shauna was first introduced in The Good, the Bad and the Drugly, Season 20. So she's a HD-era character. If she's overused nowadays, it's because she's Chalmers's daughter.
>>
>>80847702
True, but still I don't want her to be used as an excuse to show Chalmers more since he really isn't a funny character, even in the classic seasons.
>>
>>80847727
>>80847702
Isn't giving SC more screentime mostly an excuse to justify Hank Azaria's paycheck? I remember that a few years ago he threatened to quit if they didn't give him more stuff to do which is also why there's like three Moe episodes every season now.
>>
File: 32434.jpg (66 KB, 597x593) Image search: [Google]
32434.jpg
66 KB, 597x593
I'm amazed they brought her back after her one episode, but then again, we did see the return of Mary Spuckler...twice.
>>
>>80847958
Oh yes, hillbilly ginger bitch. Not only do I hate her voice and the episodes with her in it, but they just randomly shifted her characterization in Love Is A Many Strangled Thing.
>>
>>80845143
>Shauna
>Gil
>Mary Spuckler
>Nikki (sarah silverman)
>Jenda
>those gay guys
>fucking Bender
>Lada Gaga
>Michelle Obama

pick any
>>
>>80848005
Why, what's wrong with Zooey Deschanel's voice?
>>
>>80848053
Did you ever see Moonshine River? Her singing bit in that episode made me want to rip my ears out and throw them into a fireplace.
>>
File: 1403485615213.jpg (48 KB, 500x624) Image search: [Google]
1403485615213.jpg
48 KB, 500x624
This thread reminded me that season 27 is still going

fucking hell
>>
And by the way, the worst character of recent seasons is the Parson.
>>
>>80848142
Why, what's wrong with the Parson? After all the characters listed in >>80848025, he seems the least offensive thing in the world.
>>
File: 1400134441108.gif (498 KB, 298x205) Image search: [Google]
1400134441108.gif
498 KB, 298x205
There is no finer rage fuel than reading about how Andy Dick is basically the reason Phil Hartman is dead.
>>
>>80848184
There's nothing more cathartic than reading about how Jon Lovitz nearly killed Andy Dick.
>>
>>80848169
>>80848142
Refresh my memory. What character is the Parson?
>>
>>80848262
http://simpsons.wikia.com/wiki/The_Parson

I've never seen this guy, so I don't know him.
>>
File: yeah, fuck this shit.jpg (37 KB, 250x365) Image search: [Google]
yeah, fuck this shit.jpg
37 KB, 250x365
>>80848262
Him. It's like they were rewatching Sweet Seymour Skinner's Baaaaddddaaasssss Song and after seeing the bit with the unibrow baby where Lisa tells Bart "Everyone needs an enemy", they decided hey what if Rev. Lovejoy has an enemy!

So basically he's this rival minister dude who steals Lovejoy's congregation or something like that and gets him butthurt.
>>
>>80848345
That's one smug-looking fucker.
>>
File: 1454636697858.png (598 KB, 500x800) Image search: [Google]
1454636697858.png
598 KB, 500x800
Can someone explain to me either what is wrong with this character Shauna, or, if you're up to it, what's wrong with The Simpsons now?

I don't watch this show. I've seen a few eps over the years but that's it.
>>
>>80848345
>>80848304
The sole point to him is just to do these really lame rhymes that have no comedic bite to them whatsoever. It's offensive to one's intelligence because it feels as if the writers are trying to entertain a 6 year old.
>>
>>80848379
It was explained in these posts.

>>80847362
>>80847493
>>80847460
>>
Fuck, Barney is a worse character than Shauna at this point because of how he's presently being written by today's writers. And Barney is a classic character. Which should tell you something. They've made him worse than the likes of Shauna and Gil.

I'll also second the nomination of the Parson. Nothing redeemable about some Bing Crosby parody.
>>
>>80848025
>Shauna
>Gil
>Jenda
>those gay guys
>fucking Bender
>Lady Gaga
>Michelle Obama

I agree. These are all terrible and should never have been on the show.

>Mary Spuckler
>Nikki (sarah silverman)

Come on, those were cute episodes they were in. Almost the only decent moments in Nu Simpsons.
>>
>>80848379
I don't care about Shauna and I pretty much have nothing more than apathy for current Simpsons

>what's wrong with The Simpsons now?
For people who used to be Simpsons fans, this is mandatory reading:
http://deadhomersociety.com/zombiesimpsons/

if you're not a fan, well:

>the writers and showrunners who knew what they were doing left over time and got replaced by inferior folks
>season 9 is more or less when The Simpsons was turning to shit
>eventually, the show became very bland and formulaic AT BEST - I don't think it ever got offensively bad like some of the really shitty Family Guy episodes, but it's not worth watching anymore
>>
>>80848548
Get a life already and quit plugging your shitty blog, DHS admin.
>>
I forgot about the Parson. He's essentially a cheap, poorly written rip-off of Flanders who says weird things because "comedy."
>>
>>80848580
Epic conjecture, retard.

Maybe you should follow your own advice when it comes to getting a life
>>
I can look at an episode list of all the HD seasons and I couldn't recall a modicum of detail for what happens in them.

But oh you damn well better believe I remember the Parson for the awful unmemorable misfire that he is.
>>
>>80848548
the term "zombie simpsons" strikes fear in my chest, I don't know why.
>>
The Parson is in like...three episodes total. Shauna is a far more cancerous character not in the least because she molested a 10 year old.
>>
I think I have to rewatch those episodes to see where he is. Can't imagine he's worse than Shauna, Mary, or Julio though.
>>
>>80848645
There's a formula to a lot of them

>Main plot: something topical or rehashing a past episode
>side plot: "comedy" with whatever characters the writers had ideas for
>>
If anyone here wants to endure the Parson, I think Wedding for Disaster was his biggest appearance. He appears in the opening scenes of the episode.
>>
>>80848548
what if I think both current simpsons and dead homers society suck

what then
>>
>>80848534
>Come on, those were cute episodes they were in

What? No they weren't. I don't care that you gained a new waifu, they were shitty garbage-ass characters in shitty garbage-ass episodes and you should feel bad.

God, this board is so fucking predictable. You all will put up with any irredeemable, unwatchable crud just because muh loli waifu.

In conclusion, fuck you all.
>>
>>80848817
That's fine
>>
>>80848534
>Come on, those were cute episodes they were in
That's your opinion and while I disagree I respect it, but you can't defend the butchering of the characterization of Mary Spuckler and expect to be taken seriously.
>>
>>80848345
No, he's Lovejoy's superior and hires his replacement who is a hip young reverend that uses topical references and Twitter but provides no monotonous but reassuring guidance like Lovejoy himself.
>>
>>80848896

>>80848825

he's just a fat retarded neckbeard who'll watch complete shit because muh waifus. go to Loud House threads to see what I mean.
>>
>>80848053

They had her play a hick.

With an accent.

It... didn't quite jive.
>>
>>80848025
You know, I never really understood the point of Gil. He's literally just Lionel Hutz but less glib and more pathetic. I mean, I'd kind of understand if they brought him in after Hutz was retired, but that isn't the case. Fuck, there was even an episode where Gil worked for Hutz.
>>
>>80848053
Well, she's really pretty bad at voice acting.
>>
File: image.png (243 KB, 470x353) Image search: [Google]
image.png
243 KB, 470x353
This.

Why did they think this was a good idea?
>>
>>80848025
>Jenda
This has to be one of my single most hated Simpsons characters.
>>
Chinese baby
>>
Shauna rule 34 when?
>>
>>80849308
I almost appreciate the whole "hey, don't get crazy attached to these fictional characters, it's just a cartoon, maaaan" thing it was going for as time goes by and people freak out more and more about Dumb Simpsons Shit

but it's still a pretty weak episode even on its own merits and did a lot to set the tone for nothing really mattering in the show at all
>>
>>80849364
>took almost 80 posts before someone mentioned her
Pick up your game, /co/.
>>
>>80849064
Well, they couldn't get some else to play Phil Hartman's characters without looking like assholes
>>
>>80849407
I get where people are coming from when they say they hate this episode, but there was no real way to carry out the joke without butchering a main character and I find that pretty hilarious in itself
>>
Literally the only people who defend PATP are Oakley, Weinstein, and the writer (Ken Keeler).
>>
>>80849364
Why do we hate this incredibly minor character?
>>
>>80849667
What? She's magically older than Maggie now.
>>
>>80845143
How old is Shauna supposed to be?
she's young enough to kiss Bart, but old enough to kiss Gil
>>
>>80850573
I think 15.
>>
>>80850646
then this is weird
>>
>>80850573
>>80850776
And I thought the episode with Bart was creepy. Such a weird character.
>>
File: image.jpg (81 KB, 500x271) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
81 KB, 500x271
Anonymous 03/17/16(Thu)23:30:49 No.67162441
File: image.jpg (143 KB, 914x644)
143 KB
>there are plebs who don't think season 1 Simpsons was some of the GOATest television of all-time
>there are plebs who can't appreciate the feels, Charlie Brown-esque charm, childhood innocence, and comfiness radiating from the episodes
>there are plebs who are think that the Canine Mutiny and Max Power episode are "classic" Simpsons, but s1 is somehow not

You will never see scenes as intimate as this in animation ever again
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJp7DLV8i4k
>>
>>80847644
The only person who dislikes the Critic crossover is Groening.
>>
>>80845923
You better be darn right you were wrong. Cat lady is the best Simpsonfu.
>>
>>80853488
Hi there!

You seem to have made a bit of a mistake in your post. Luckily, the users of 4chan are always willing to help you clear this problem right up! You appear to have used a tripcode when posting, but your identity has nothing at all to do with the conversation! Whoops! You should always remember to stop using your tripcode when the thread it was used for is gone, unless another one is started! Posting with a tripcode when it isn't necessary is poor form. You should always try to post anonymously, unless your identity is absolutely vital to the post that you're making!

Now, there's no need to thank me - I'm just doing my bit to help you get used to the anonymous image-board culture!
>>
Shauna has to have one of the ugliest character designs in Simpsons history. Just very unattractive and unappealing throughout.
>>
File: 1450815417881.jpg (91 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1450815417881.jpg
91 KB, 1280x720
>>80853848
The worst part is someone calling attention to it.
>>
File: Simpsons cast.jpg (783 KB, 1543x679) Image search: [Google]
Simpsons cast.jpg
783 KB, 1543x679
>>80853927
That brings up an interesting discussion. What's /co/'s most and least favorite Simpsons character design? What style of character looks do you think work best on the show, and how much have they changed through the show's run?
>>
>>80854285
The character designs in general might be one of my least favorite things about The Simpsons. I don't really like how unrealistic some of them are, such as Marge's hair and the fact that you can't tell where Bart, Lisa, and Maggie's hair begins. Not that it is a big complaint, and I do like how distinctive the characters look. Character design isn't something I think about very much (or ever, really).
>>
>>80854285
Sideshow Bob, we have the same hairstyle.
>>
>>80854285
best: The Simpsons family, Sideshow Bob, Burns
worst: ever new kid character that shows up seasons 10+
>>
>>80848262

The Bing Crosby minister.
>>
>>80846899
Wait what are the two crossovers you're referring to? I know one of them is the critic but I don't know if that's the first or second one you're talking about
>>
>>80847010
a deep seated desire to be physically present when he pisses someone off so much they kick his ass.

Admit it, you wish you were in the room when Jon Lovitz smashed his face into a bar.
>>
>>80854285
Lisa and Maggie are probably my favorites, because unlike a lot of people, I really like their illogical starfish hair.
>>
>>80846899
>at the end of season 3
What?
>>
>>80854802
Shearer thought the show should have ended after he got what he wanted out of it, which was the Spinal Tap crossover.
>>
>>80854576
Her proportions next to Bart's looks really wonky.
>>
>>80854285
Favorite: I've always liked Sideshow Bob's design. It's so ridiculous and outlandish in comparison to the type of person he is.
Snake has a pretty cool look too.
I also liked Frank Grimes's design for some reason. There's nothing particularly unique about it but I just like his hair and eyebrows.
And of course, Mr. Burns. I love the contradiction of him being a frail old man, but also a very sinister and intimidating figure. It's a great design.

Least favorite: This is a tough one. I don't think there are any character designs I particularly dislike. I'm not a fan of the way Mr. Burns looks in recent episodes. His body doesn't seem as frail and his posture seems less hunched. It isn't a big difference in the design itself, but he doesn't look as....pointy? I don't know how to word it. But he definitely looks less intimidating.

And some of the recent guest stars look strange to me. Especially the ones that are really detailed or kind of realistic.
>>
Best: Lisa, Burns, Snake, Judge Snyder and Sideshow Bob.

Worst: Cecil Terwilliger. His hair looks weird.
>>
Believe it or not, I actually really like Moe's character design. They intentionally made him ugly, but I think he's okay.

What bugs me about the character designs is how Homer is always called fat or overweight. What about Comic Book Guy or Chief Wiggum? If you're going to call Homer fat, at least be consistent. (Oh wait, that'd make every episode look like King-Size Homer.)
>>
>>80855169
Comic book guy gets called fat often enough
>>
Wrong show came to mind when I saw this topic, but when I saw worst I thought of Petunia from Futurama. Gross. To make it worse there's gotta be disgusting Rule 34 porn out there that utilizes her in off-putting ways and...oh god.

But for best Simpsons design, Milhouse seems like he'd be a fun one to draw.
>>
Favorite: Homer, Mr. Burns, Moe, Smithers, Sideshow Bob, Fat Tony, Hans Moleman
Least favorite: Bart's girlfriend Jenny from The Good, The Sad And The Drugly looks pretty boring.
>>
>>80855219
>But for best Simpsons design, Milhouse seems like he'd be a fun one to draw.

You'd think so, but he really isn't. Milhouse has to be one of the hardest characters to draw. I've done it before and hate it.
>>
>>80855169
>What bugs me about the character designs is how Homer is always called fat or overweight. What about Comic Book Guy or Chief Wiggum? If you're going to call Homer fat, at least be consistent. (Oh wait, that'd make every episode look like King-Size Homer.)

I know, there are guys like Apu, Ralph, Kearney, Mayor Quimby, Krusty etc who never even get called fat. Homer probably gets called overweight more though because he's the main character.
>>
I sometimes hate how some characters are drawn in the HD era, they seem lifeless, plain, and boring.
>>
I have no one favorite, I feel like nearly every character design encompasses what the character is about.

One thing I never liked though was how milhouses parents look the same or how certain characters kids (snake, professor frink) are just an exact duplicate of them. I dunno, I feel like they could've been more creative with those designs.
>>
File: stealingfirstbase.png (212 KB, 623x352) Image search: [Google]
stealingfirstbase.png
212 KB, 623x352
I really like Nikki's design. It's very unlike the bland, uber-realistic stuff they usually do in the HD seasons and also very fun and easy to draw.
>>
>>80845551
Even worse than that - she's now Chalmer's daughter
>>
>>80847434
It's weird to think that in earlier seasons Smithers used to be one of my favourite characters. They turned a shifty, indulgent, deadpan secretary who made a hilarious comedic duo with Burns into a walking gay stereotype.
>>
>>80855826
Yeh one of the writers said that watching Harry Shearer record Burns/Smithers exchanges was the funniest thing he ever saw.
>>
>>80855826
Smithers has always been gay, except maybe in season 1 (when he went on a date with a woman)
>>
>>80855568
Are you fucking serious
>>
IIRC, Sam Simon originally came up with the idea that Smithers should be gay, but that they'd never outright say it and it would only be hinted at.

But then again, Fox at that time had a policy in place forbidding any mention of homosexuality on their shows. This was ultimately challenged by the Simpsons staff during the production of Homer's Phobia and removed.
>>
File: simpsons3.jpg (221 KB, 653x367) Image search: [Google]
simpsons3.jpg
221 KB, 653x367
"So...Mary. We're alone on a bed together. What do we do now?"
>>
>>80856018
You play a really shitty song on that guitar in your ear-burning voice?
>>
>>80854285
Why do Skinner, his mother and the guy inbetween them have black eyes?
>>
>>80854285
Why is that boxer villain from the Simpsons Arcade Game on there? He was never in the show as far as I know.
>>
>>80856236
Hes from Bart the daredevil
>>
Shauna is just lame and absolutely uninteresting in every way.

Gil in the Jean era. I actually really liked him in the Scully era, since they made him this sympathetic always-out-of-luck guy I actually rooted for. In the Jean era however, he's just annoying for the sake of being annoying and I can't stand him anymore.
>>
Well, Krusty isn't terrible and can be funny in small doses. But he's never had good episodes except Kamp Krusty and Bart The Fink.

Sideshow Mel is seriously one of the _worst_ characters. Not only can I not stand his voice, the writers _horribly_ overuse him.

Chalmers, but only because the SKINNEERRRRR bit is overdone and fuck it, he seems as if he literally lives at the school.

Lindsay Naegle also sucks, but thankfully she stopped appearing in every episode once Jean took over the show.

Shauna is girl Jimbo/Dolph/Kearney, but less interesting and does she have to say her name and introduce herself every time she appears?
>>
>>80856827
>Well, Krusty isn't terrible and can be funny in small doses. But he's never had good episodes except Kamp Krusty and Bart The Fink.

Bart The Fink isn't funny at all and Homie The Clown has some of the best Krusty lines ever.
>>
Chalmers is the worst. They can't use Skinner on his own anymore; they have to use Chalmers as a straight man. I'm so sick of him. I'm not a huge fan of Krusty either, for the reasons already stated.
>>
>>80856895
The writers obviously have some sick obsession with him, it's beyond ludicrous. I'm glad recently he's been left out from some of the episodes, that's probably due to the school not appearing.
>>
>>80847727
I'm glad Chalmers exists mostly because of the steamed hams scene and the Super Nintendo Chalmers line
>>
Shauna. Zombie Simpsons' worst traits in one character.
>>
>>80847150
Watch The Birdcage. Hank Azaria does the Julio voice there and it's actually pretty funny when done right, but as a character, Julio is complete fail. He's not edgy or subversive and he doesn't have any meaningful character development, he's just a gay character for the sake of it.

At least for me, Gil's one of those "laugh at them, not with them" characters, which is part of why Kill Gil, Vol. I and II doesn't work. He's bearable in the Jean era...just not very funny.

Chalmers and Skinner can produce occasionally funny dialogue in the HD era, but yeah, I'd prefer seeing Skinner stand alone sometimes. Also they were consistently great in the classic era so I wouldn't put either as a character I dislike.

Of the major recurring characters from the classic era, Krusty is my least favorite. I do like his two-sided personality, something we saw in a lot of classic era characters (Skinner is stern in front of his students but cowers in front of Chalmers/his mother, Smithers is the gay dude with a deep voice, Krusty is the cynical TV clown), but you kind of have to suspend disbelief for a second to believe that someone like this could make it as a successful TV star. His relationship with his father is one of the most underrated relationships on the show though.
>>
Mary Spuckler because her voice is annoying and all of her episodes were terrible. I never felt that Zooey was the right VA or a good fit for the character.
>>
Shauna, Zombie Simpsons Gil, and Julio are the worst of the worst. It can never be worse than those three.
>>
I don't dislike a character but I dislike Homer in certain Scully episodes especially Kill the Alligator and Run and Kidney Trouble.
>>
I think Chalmers and Shauna have had their funny moments, they're not that bad to me.

Gil is probably my least favorite character. The only time I've ever laughed at him was "Cookie I'm scared of you". He's unfunny in every appearance and it's also the same lame joke with him every time.
>>
I hate Yes Guy, thankfully they stopped using him after Season 15 or so.
>>
File: jim_steranko_nick_fury_a_p.jpg (164 KB, 1040x818) Image search: [Google]
jim_steranko_nick_fury_a_p.jpg
164 KB, 1040x818
>>80848245
>There's nothing more cathartic than reading about how Jon Lovitz nearly killed Andy Dick.

What about the Jim Steranko Bob Kane stroy
>>
I hate Gil, the entire Spuckler clan, Chalmers, and Sideshow Mel.
>>
I don't know why people invest so much hate in Gil. His appearances where he isn't funny are simply filler that isn't worth hating. It's not really annoying any way you look at it. Characters like Cookie Kwan and Lindsay Naegle have horrible, ear-shredding voices (fuck you, Tress) and they're always shoved into scenes for no reason. At least Gil has like a constant theme and appears in ways you can sorta buy.
>>
My most unfavorite characters are Cookie Kwan, Lindsay Naegle, and Shauna. It's kind of too bad the low-quality material they give Tress to work with.

Also Scully-era Homer was the worst ever.
>>
>>80853405

Even then, it's less that he dislikes the episode itself, and more that he dislikes the way Fox was using The Simpsons as a vehicle to promote The Critic and trying to make it look like Groening himself had created it.

If the show had done a crossover with The Critic again, I doubt he would care much. He stopped caring about The Simpsons when Futurama became his baby.
>>
>>80857369
>If the show had done a crossover with The Critic again,

It would probably be terrible
>>
"Hate" is strong for Gil. There's really no character I flat out hate, but he just stands out as one that doesn't make me laugh.
>>
I agree that Gil is not as bad as he's made out to be. Now Jenda, oh god no. I want to strangle that character. She's one of the big reasons I do not find the future episodes watchable.
>>
Tress's terrible Simpsons roles are too bad because she's otherwise a talented VA and doesn't deserve what this show gives her.
>>
>>80847150
I had no idea this guy became a recurring character before opening this thread. What the fuck.
>>
I don't hate Tress MacNeille but it drives me up the wall every time her Generic Businesswoman character shows up.
>>
LOL I didn't know any of Tress's Simpsons roles other than Agnes Skinner.
>>
She's almost every female character on the show except the Bouvier clan, Helen, and Luanne. She reminds you of Kevin Michael Richardson in that she has a lot of range but always the same inflection so you know it's her every time.
>>
>>80847029
It's hot.
>>
I think almost every character created in the first 8 seasons were likable except Sideshow Mel.
>>
I forgot about the character Database that is thankfully only in a handful of episodes. He's the worst character for me thanks to that annoying voice.

Nancy Cartwright also thought he deserves his own episode for some reason.
>>
>>80857734
That's why you never accept writing ideas from voice actors. If they knew how to write, they wouldn't be voice actors, they'd be writers.
>>
I never liked the Rich Texan. He always sounds like such a one note character whenever he shows up in a story. There's really nothing to his personality other than him yelling and shooting his gun around.
>>
File: laura.jpg (9 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
laura.jpg
9 KB, 259x194
All these years later and she's STILL the best girl.
>>
>>80849506
Right, yeah, no, but they invented Gil before Hartman died. Why?
>>
>>80855527
yes, is very particular.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (201 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
201 KB, 1920x1080
>>80855527
By bland and uber-realistic, I mean like Jenny. Boring character, boring to look at.
>>
>>80859411
I think that was the point of her character. She's supposed to be this perfect, angelic Christian girl that's completely out of Bart's reach.
>>
>>80859442
see, like the other guy said, the design of most simpsons characters is supposed to show what they are and what they represent
>>
>>80854285
I really like how distinctive the Simpson family's designs are, but at the same time the kids never really looked like they fit with the rest of the cast (except when the first ~3 seasons showed nameless background characters with yellow hair). Not a complaint so much as an observation.

Most of the secondary characters look at least decent; Burns is a standout in terms of a strong and memorable design. Guess I don't like Sherri and Terri's weirdly pale skin.

I like the "Simpsons style" that was in effect for almost everything for the first few seasons, before everything then started being drawn a little too realistically by like season 7 or 8 or so. Look at how random characters like the devil, dogs/cats, etc. look. Past a certain point they began drawing them too realistically, and that's probably when the not-really-Simpsonized celebrity guest trend began too.
>>
>>80859581
Das more 'cos of Matt Groening's fetish for extreme realism. Although ironically he said that he considers S&T to be cute, or his idea of cute at least.
>>
File: knuckles hates fags.png (134 KB, 814x481) Image search: [Google]
knuckles hates fags.png
134 KB, 814x481
>>80847434
>get ready for gay
>>
>>80859411
>>80859442
That would be a terrible pairing anyway. Jenny would be the type that won't let him have a beer and is convinced that anything other than eating, sleeping, reading the Bible, and attending church will get you sent to Hell.
>>
>>80859598
It's less a fetish for realism, and more a desire for constantly on-model, consistently clean, less rubbery look. He's like the anti-John K. in that regard.

His art is closer to caricature than realism, even in his other works like Life in Hell and Futurama. Hell, The Simpsons Movie is probably his ideal version of animation. Not all that realistic, but very slick none the less.
>>
>>80849407
>>80849565

There are three great moments in this episode.

1.) when Ralph says he eithers wants to be a principal or a caterpillar.

2.) Up yours Children.

3.) That scene where The Simpsons, Krabappel, Agnes, Grampa and Jasper are in the car ride to Capital City.
>>
>>80851780
I miss when Homer felt like a real dad, like in the episode from your pic he gives bart his tie after he realizes everyone in the prodigy school has one except him. That's something my own dad would do, little things like that gave the characters credibility, and present day simpsons has lost that charm.
>>
Bart gets a LOT of pussy.
How can anyone still think he's gay?
>>
>>80861302
Because he's 10 and being a gay 10 year old is in right now.
>>
Bernice Hibbert is HOT.
>>
I honestly think the Sarah Silverman little girl is a lot worse than Shauna and Mary Spuckler. Seriously, a love-you-hate-you cliché, on the Simpsons of all shows, which is supposed to be SJW show too? She belongs in Family Guy as a girlfriend for Chris or something.

Of course in my opinion the real problem is Bart collecting all these girlfriend and none of them returning because they can't get the voice actresses to show up again. That's why I don't mind Mary, even if she is kinda annoying.
>>
I remember the last episode I watched. I heard there was a Hayao Miyazaki tribute in one episode and the weeb I am kind of wanted to see it. The tribute was garbage, the episode was garbage, the show had gotten way worse than I remembered.

Thank fucking god I don't recognize half of the characters in this thread
>>
>>80859739
Don't forget that scene where Skinner is advertising the strip club as his new job
>>
>>80847434
Oh fuck, I'm getting flashbacks to that gay bar episode. Make it stop
>>
>>80862783
That's a stupid reason
Thread replies: 179
Thread images: 20

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.