[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>comic is extremely popular because it focuses a dynamic and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
>comic is extremely popular because it focuses a dynamic and changing cast of superheros who come from diverse backgrounds and can stand in for different social issues of the time

>repeatedly subvert this because "muh original 5"

Daily reminder than any stories that aims to bring back Jean, Bobby, Warren (other than as archangel), Hank, and to an extent Scott is the cancer that is killing comics
>>
Yeah we all know current X-men are bad
>>
Reminder that it's also copied wholesale from a New Mutants mini.
>>
>>80844284
Didn't it all start with editorial wanting to start up X-Factor, featuring the O5, which fucked over Claremont's wishes and starting the beginning of the end?
>>
X-men is popular because it's the premiere soap opera of comics, don't kid yourself.
>>
>>80844284
ehh i'm pretty sure it's the 80s-90s roster specifically that makes it a popular franchise, not 'the fact that it changes'
>>
>>80848525
The 80's-90s roster changed all the time. People were constantly leaving and coming back and introducing new characters as well.
>>
>>80848525
>pretty sure it's the 80s-90s roster specifically
That is like 30-40 characters
>>
>>80844284
I think it's just the nature of comic books cycling through shaking up the status quo and returning to it. It's the same with the Justice League or something

>Original team
>Hey, having the same 7 guys all the time is boring and limits stories, lets focus on these b-listers
>You know what? The Justice League is our flagship team and everybody wants to see the core members, so lets return to basics and do more-or-less the original seven
>The Justice League needs some diversity. Lets integrate these lesser-known characters to give them more exposure and add excitement

Ad infinitum...
>>
>>80850169
But the best Justice League roster had Beetle, Booster, and Guy
>>
>>80850245
That was JLA INTERNATIONAL .
An underrated companion book.
Different team, no heavy hitters.
>>
>>80850435
>team with Martian Manhunter, Green Lanter, Batman, and Captain Atom
>no heavy hitters
>>
>>80847672
Editorial wanted to launch X-Factor featuring the Original 5 except Jean who was dead and her spot was going to be filled by Dazzler one of Shooter's pets

Then the whole Phoenix retcon began when Kurt Busiek told Roger Stern one day over lunch about the idea he thought up while still in college. Stern passed the idea along the chain and it happened
>>
>>80850435
First off, it was Justice League International at first. Second off, it was the main Justice League book at the time.
>>
>>80849850
>>80849971
whatever man. ask anybody why they like x-men and their answer is going to be 'because 12 or 13 characters' not 'because they change them out a lot'
aside from jean and kinda cyclops, the original 5 are pretty great. once two of them turn blue anyway
and after that original team, the SECOND team basically makes up everyone else's favorite characters. all of them minus the injun and that sunspot guy. after that, the number of characters people give a shit about are pretty low. like.. rogue. and that's it. so basically not even the 90s stuff, i take that back. it's just the original team and the all-new international team, plus a few others.
>>
>>80844284
>other than as archangel
Archangel already had a good end. Who needs more of that shitty angsty character?
>>
>>80844284
>>80847672
I actually liked the 80's X-Factor run.

Then again I liked Archangel and Apocalypse back before he was a jobber so I guess that helped.

But I do prefer my X-Men team to be the 80's team with Storm Colossus, Wolverine and Nightcrawler. X-Factor kept the old 5 out.
>>
>>80852953
Yea my favorite times was the early 90's Blue Team in X-Men and Gold team in Uncanny X-Men. So they got to use 14 characters through two teams in two books well enough.
>>
>>80850435
>That was JLA INTERNATIONAL .

Gets your facts straight. In 1987 the book started out as Justice League, then turned into Justice League International six issues later, and then later, couple of years of bwahahahaha league, got renamed to being Justice League America. And for the entire run of the book, it was the main Justice League book of DC, with its own spin offs like Justice League Europe. And as for no heavy hitters, motherfucker, the team started out with Captain Marvel, Batman, Mr Miracle, Dr Fate, Green Lantern, Batman and the Martian Manhunter!
>>
>>80855572
I really hated 80's x-factor.

Claremont had the right of things.

Jean Dies. Cyclops retires to alaska to think about life and gets married.

Beast becomes an avenger and hangs out with wonder man.

Bobby goes to college.

End scene. Close book.

Write more interesting dynamic characters.
>>
>>80847026
>current
X-men was ruined by X-factor v. 1 and has never recovered.
>>
>>80844284
You failed to mention how the O5 were actually never popular to begin with and only when the franchise hit it big, suddenly people were all like "Yeah, I was totally always a fan, I wish they brought them back."
>>
>>80852953
90s is the most iconic for some people.

Gambit. Psylocke (asian-form, not butterfly-pink-floofy-dress). Jubilee. Rogue. They'll always be some of the most popular ones, including and especially for casuals.

late 80s also has some fans. Dazzler, Longshot, Havok. These are for more hardcore/lore-fans. But still iconic-ish.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.