[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Anon being a Marvel fag for his entire life and never gave
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2
File: dc new 52.jpg (556 KB, 1511x1214) Image search: [Google]
dc new 52.jpg
556 KB, 1511x1214
>Anon being a Marvel fag for his entire life and never gave a shit about DC
>Anon gets interested in The Flash
>Anon reads Flashpoint
>Anon gets interested in DC universe and wants to read new52

Am I late for getting into the DC universe? I don't want to read any shit about post/pre crisis just the new 52 but I don't know if there is a lot of story to read right now or I'm still in time to get into the train.
>>
How can it be "too late"? The stories aren't going to all evaporate form existence one day.

The new 52 Flash ongoing is decent for about the first 30 issues until the first two writers leave. I'm not a huge fan of it but it's not awful. Art is fantastic.
>>
>>80843950
With that I mean if the main heroes in this case already got hundres of issues right now or if the story already got shit or confusing or if they are getting back to post-crisis shit.
>>
>>80843980

Right now the series that started with the New 52 are just hitting 50 issues.

However, since you've followed ongoing superhero comics with Marvel, you know that a BETTER way of trying to read comics is by looking for specific runs of a creative team instead of trying to plow through a whole series regardless of what shit or events you have to endure.

What characters or aspects of the universe are you interested in reading more about? There's a really good New 52 recommendation list floating around, but I can give you some specific things to start with if you narrow it down a bit.
>>
>>80844099
The things that I'm looking foward to are just the lantern corps and the Flash stuff
>>
IMO the best new 52 titles are-
-Harley Quinn
-Hawk and Dove
-Teen Titans
-Earth 2
>>
>>80844259
How could you forget Batman: The Dark Knight?
>>
>>80843877
Read from before the nu52.

Nu52 is shit.
>>
>>80843877
>Anon gets interested in The Flash

Flash volume 2 #s 62-225
>>
>>80844259
Aquaman and Wonder Woman had some character defining runs.
>>
>>80844373
Just finished that last week. I would have to say Rogue War is my favourite comic read of all time.

The twists and turns at the end of each issue was amazing.
>>
>>80844243
>Lantern Corps

For that you'd be better off going back and reading Johns' stuff from Rebirth onwards. The start of the New 52 Lantern corps books doesn't reboot hardly anything from before the New 52, and it's a pretty solid run all around (Brightest Day notwithstanding)

>Flash stuff
Read Manapul/Bucellato's run (#1-29). It's not the best Flash run out there, but it's solid with amazing art. Just be sure to ABANDON SHIP as soon as the creative team changes because it goes to shit fast over that point.
>>
>>80844527
Wait what about demon knights!? What issue is that one up to? Probably pretty high I bet.

I should get back into that one. Really enjoyed it and would like to see where the story is at now.
>>
>>80844259
>Earth 2
>Harley Quinn

Earth 2 really?

- Aquaman
- Wonder Woman
- Batman: The Dark Knight
- Swamp Thing
- Animal Man
>>
>>80844579
I didn't read it. As a new comic book reader who started with new 52 I have read:

>Flash (All)
>Wonder Woman (#1-35, dropped)
>Aquaman (All)
>Justice League (All)
>Action Comics (#1-3, just started this)
>Justice League of America (All, dropped)

Also went back and read silver age Flash, COIE, Flash #19, 62-225 and Zero Hour
>>
>>80843877
couldn't you just recommend better comics to a Marvel fag. Like Red Son, Birthright, Kingdom Come, Killing Joke etc

What is so great about Flashpoint
>>
>>80844259
This is a sarcastic post, guys.
>>
>>80844740
OP here, I just read Flashpoint because I got nothing else to do, and it was from my cousins. It was just great but I liked The Flash
>>
>>80844740
As a Marvel Fag myself who has occasionally dabbled in DCuckery I actually enjoy all of those. But those aren't really good for 'getting into' DC as a continuous universe. They're all rather self contained except for Killing Joke which was later decided to be canon because barbara gordon being shot.

Typically though when i have tried to get into DC i first went back to the beginning of nu52 and started reading each one that interested me. Which worked a little. Liked flash a little, enjoyed batman (i dont get the Scott Snider hate. I loved court of owls), really liked Aquaman and Action comics (the only ongoing superman i ever read).

Though since then I just looked up interesting arcs and read those. Because honestly almost everything pre nu52 ive read has been better than the nu52 shit.
>>
>>80844934
Try out Starman by James Robinson

It's from before the New 52 but really good. One of the best cape books you'll ever read.
>>
>>80844934
>It was just great but I liked The Flash
If you like the Flash you would be best served reading the Wally West stuff, all of the cool Flash stories and lore come from Mark Waid, Grant Morrisons and Geoff Johns combined runs.
>>
File: image.jpg (40 KB, 224x342) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
40 KB, 224x342
>reading big 2
>caring about continuity
>>
>>80845496
Wait whatthefuck!? Grant Morrison wrote Flash? I must find this.

I can only imagine the shit that guy would do with the speed force.
>>
>>80845629
>image.jpg
Indiean pls
>>
>>80844554
You should read JLA/JSA/LoSH Lightning Saga + Superman and the Legion of Super-Heroes + Final Crisis: Legion of 3 Worlds
>>
>>80845630
He only had two arcs. Starts out at Human Race I think it's called and another right after. I won't spoil anything but will say he doesn't really tackle the speed force much, but does at least get involved with some multi dimensional space time running stuff.
>>
>>80845753
I'm leading into Infinite Crisis now, so Final crisis is still on the horizon.
>>
>>80845853

The Human Race and Terminal Velocity are the two runs he co-wrote with Millar.

They're both phenomenal stories.
>>
>>80845884
>Terminal Velocity
Wasn't that Waid, I thought it was Human Race and Emergency Stop.

Human Race is great, Emergency Stop is a little weird.
>>
>>80843877
not really, Rebirth will be another jumping on point. Just read whatever piques your interest, it's not all about some greater continuity, it's about entertaining self contained arcs.

Some new 52 stuff is good, but it hasn't hit the highs of a lot of the 1998-2011 work they put out.

Parts of waid flash, morrisons flash, and geoff john's flash are great. Flash had a great long, consistent run compared to most other DC characters.

If you enjoy John's flash, consider reading all his other books. He wrote a shit ton of dc books 2000 onwards. Green Lantern and JSA are great. Also don't overlook 52.
>>
>>80844579
>demon knights
it ended after 20-something issues, was cool in the begining but afer a while it started to look like recordings of the writers D&D sessions
>>
>>80844579
>>80846929
It was hurt by a timeskip. There was some clear editorial interference as well, as the plot about aliens was abandoned.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.