[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've heard people call this book patrician. And say it is
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 8
File: All-Star_Batman_and_Robin_9A.jpg (81 KB, 481x750) Image search: [Google]
All-Star_Batman_and_Robin_9A.jpg
81 KB, 481x750
I've heard people call this book patrician. And say it is misunderstand, and falsely criticized. Why is that?
>>
>>80825901
Because all those things are true. It's Frank Miller's Batman taken to something approaching its logical conclusion, with all the Milleresque overblown noir insanity intact. If you're looking for Batman Adventures, this ain't it. But if you're looking for a Batman book actually willing to take chances and play fast and loose with 75-year old continuity that's almost always held as sacrosanct, this book'll give you a good ol' time.

Personally, it's in my top ten Bat-books of all time precisely because it doesn't play to type. It doesn't try to imitate past versions of Batman, not even the noble broodmeister of Miller's 80s work. It's interested in forging new paths with a well-worn IP, and for that I salute it.
>>
>>80825901
I wouldn't call it patrician, but I would say it is falsely criticized sometimes.

Like people still think he was going to kill Dick's parents when it literally says in the comic that Bruce didn't even want him until years from now, there were other candidates, and he just felt responsible since he was there when they died.
>>
File: 1454636501804.jpg (2 MB, 1920x2951) Image search: [Google]
1454636501804.jpg
2 MB, 1920x2951
>>80825901

It's falsely criticized because at the time of it's release everyone took it seriously.

I don't think it's as amazing as /co/ seems to think it is now but it's not really that bad. Had some great moments though.
>>
File: 1440935198232.jpg (72 KB, 323x323) Image search: [Google]
1440935198232.jpg
72 KB, 323x323
>Roman emperors routinely elevated their supporters to the patrician caste en masse. The prestige and meaning of the status were gradually degraded, and by the end of the 3rd-century crisis patrician status, as it had been known in the Republic, ceased to have meaning in everyday life.

it definitely is something for retards to think they're better than other people for understanding the "brilliance" of.
>>
It's Frank Miller parodying himself. It's just fun.
>>
File: 1448308520629.jpg (2 MB, 1995x4839) Image search: [Google]
1448308520629.jpg
2 MB, 1995x4839
>>80826908
>>
>>80826978
>Steel
>adam sandler besides BM
>princess bride
>Goofy
>Spawn
Etc.
I know this was a troll thread but fuck, you're gonna hurt someone with that.
>>
File: PDVD_093.png (337 KB, 640x478) Image search: [Google]
PDVD_093.png
337 KB, 640x478
>>80826978
Exactly.
>>
>>80825901
Nah, its just pretentious
>>
File: hold up friendo.png (142 KB, 305x403) Image search: [Google]
hold up friendo.png
142 KB, 305x403
>>80825901
>patrician
That's /tv/ and /mu/ talk, anon. Keep it outta here
>>
>>80828191
Consider the following: Fuck off.

Their obsession with "patricians" and "plebeians" is no different than /co/'s obsession with "casuals".

Someone doesn't know as much about comics as me? They must be a casual. Someone doesn't like what I do like? They must be a casual. Someone does like what I don't like? They must be a casual.

Trying to act like this behavior is exclusive to other boards is a big reason why this behavior persists on /co/.
>>
File: GoddamnBatman.jpg (404 KB, 1902x1098) Image search: [Google]
GoddamnBatman.jpg
404 KB, 1902x1098
>>80826304
I like how in this version, with a Batman that's very violent and cruel to his enemies and simply loves being the goddamn Batman because of the freedom to kick ass and drive around in crazy vehicles, it's still the one that makes the recruitment of Dick Grayson as Robin make most sense.

In other Batman stories, it's more "hey, dick, look, I know your parents died, want to fight crime with me?"

In ASBAR it's "Fuck, I wasn't going to recruit this guy until he was 15-17, and there were even other candidates. Also, fuck, his parents were murdered when I was there, I got to recruit this kid, even though it would be better to wait until he was older and more mature.
>>
>>80826869
>Fast hands, my little ROBIN.
>Fast hands, big mouth...
Um, Bruce? You might want to rephrase that.
>>
>>80826978
I like how they mix genuinely good movies with some of the worst movies of all time.
>>
>>80829044
Yeah this Batman is straight up fun and crazy and has fun being Batman. Makes sense for Miller to try and play the child soldier thing straight here and just have Batman later admit he fucked up and want another chance with him.
>>
>>80829044
Most of the time Bruce doesn't even want Dick to fight crime with him. It's more like he somehow can't discipline a teenager properly so he just goes "eh I'll just train him instead then"
>>
>>80829310
Miller knew what he was doing.

Bruce and Dick were really gay in TDKSA too. Dick especially. What with being Joker II and all.
>>
>>80825901
>>80826236
That's because Miller was unafraid to cross several sacred cows. His Batman is not SJW, and better for it.
>>
>>80826304
People didn't like Frank's criticism of occupy and Muslims. he isn't sufficiently a neck bearded asshole for the modern scene.
>>
>>80839002
I read this and then remember when /co/ throw a fit when the first or second issue of DKIII came out and thought Miller was saying something good or sympathizing with BLM.
>>
>>80839172
That's the /tv/ crossposters and the guy that rambles on SWC doing that.
>>
>>80839206
I'm sure
>>
File: holy-terror_885.jpg (129 KB, 1352x767) Image search: [Google]
holy-terror_885.jpg
129 KB, 1352x767
People hated it because it didn't have the subtlety and beauty of Millers later works.
>>
>>80839924
Oh god i story timed this once a time ago. And part of me wants to do it again. It is just so fucking bad. And you can see the art degrade tremendously as the fucking comic goes on. Like miller just became lazier or withered as it progreessed. Or just had to get it out on time.
>>
>>80826236
>If you're looking for Batman Adventures, this ain't it. But if you're looking for a Batman book actually willing to take chances and play fast and loose with 75-year old continuity that's almost always held as sacrosanct, this book'll give you a good ol' time.
Way to perfectly describe an actual good take on Batman by Morrison. ASBaRtBW is shit.
>>
Does anyone have a mega or mediafire link to the entire run, please? Desu brought me nothing.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.