[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Let's Discuss: Disney's Dark Age
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 6
File: darkage.jpg (17 KB, 500x300) Image search: [Google]
darkage.jpg
17 KB, 500x300
The "Dark Age" of Disney is generally thought to be their movies made in the 80's up to the Renaissance (though some aDlso combine this age with the movies made in the 70's as well, starting as early as 1970's Aristocats, the first movie made after Walt's death

Do you agree with this appellation? Even today, are these still the worst movies Disney's made overall? Is there another period that's more deserving as being called the "Dark Age of Disney" now? Is there any good in them? Do you enjoy any of these films?
>>
The Black Cauldron isn't nearly as bad as people made it out to be, but it is kind of plain. Fox and the Hound is pretty boring though.

I'd say the real "Dark Age" is the Mid-2000's, when we got shit like Home on the Range, Cars, and Chicken Little.
>>
File: 1456986392721.jpg (124 KB, 600x801) Image search: [Google]
1456986392721.jpg
124 KB, 600x801
Fox and the Hound is one of my favorite Disney movies, and Great Mouse Detective and Oliver and Company are great too. I've never seen Black Cauldron, so I don't know

These movies didn't make a lot of money, and Disney was under piss poor management then, but that doesn't mean that they produced shit back then
>>
>>80817329
The Great Moose Detective is alright. Shame there isn't any mystery in a mystery movie.
>>
Man, the Great Mouse Detective is a great movie.

Black Cauldron is just BORING. Seriously. Go back and watch it. It's just tedious.
>>
>>80817401

>Home on the Range
>Atlantis
>Treasure Planet

Who the fuck even remembers that these movies exist? I mean I know there are some Atlantis and Treasure Planet fags on /co/ but I mean among the general public I bet 90+% of people forgot these movies exist.
>>
The movies of the "Bronze Age" in the 70's (Robin Hood, Aristocats, Rescuers, Pooh), are much worse than the 80's movies I'd say. Really, they should be switched around, though I usually just see the whole stretch from Aristocats through Oliver labeled as "Dark Age".

I see Great Mouse Detective as the real start of the Renaissance anyway.
>>
>>80817567

Atlantis holds a place in my heart cause Mike Mignola worked on it.
>>
>>80817567
Tumblr loves Atlantis and Treasure Planet too. Hell, even some "Dude remember 90s Disney" montage ended up including both of them despite being early 2000s
>>
Stream 8 of an ongoing Disney Marathon on now. Shorts on now, first movie in 15 minutes. Tonight is Rescuers, Fox and the Hound, and Black Cauldron. see it at live stream dot com slash oakshappyfuntime
>>
>>80817567
Atlantis and Treasure Planet are extremely popular.
>>
>>80817731
I'd say they're cult classics more than anything. But it is true that they didn't do nearly that well at the time they came out.. But they do have a lot more nostalgia and talk about them then any of the movies in OP's image I'd say.
>>
>>80817567
Treasure Planet is almost GOAT, and HOme on the Range is a comedy.
>>
>>80817837

Take the fucking robot out and Treasure Planet would be GOAT.
>>
>>80817329
This is the Dark Age and not that period of the mid-00s where Disney was putting out so many poor films that people stopped giving a shit?
>>
>Fox and the Hound
>Great Mouse Detective
>Oliver and Company
>Dark Age

I mean I know they're not as popular as some of the movies that came before and after but dark age usually implies movies that are bad
>>
>>80817915
Eisner almost outright killed animation period at Disney after Black Cauldron. Plus in the 80s before Eisner, only thing keeping Disney afloat was the theme parks. There was a serious danger that Disney could have been bought out and dismembered by corporate raiders, though at the same time, you had Jim Henson considering buying out Disney to save it.
>>
File: hop on OP.jpg (255 KB, 900x597) Image search: [Google]
hop on OP.jpg
255 KB, 900x597
>>80817329
this dark age you speak of gets redefined every time it's posted. this is the first time the op IMAGE at least does comprise a discrete 'age'
however your written description does not hold water. aristocats cannot be lumped in there.
in any case: to judge the movies.. fox and the hound had good aspects but really dragged in places. black cauldron was good, just unfairly hacked to pieces. mouse detective is a fucking masterpiece, and oliver and company is the one disney movie i've never had any desire to rewatch after a single viewing (not sure i ever even watched it all the way through). fucking billy joel.. fuck billy joel. good celebrity voices sure but they played horrible unlikeable characters.
>>
>>80817696
Rescuers now about to start.
>>
File: extream disaproval.jpg (25 KB, 312x552) Image search: [Google]
extream disaproval.jpg
25 KB, 312x552
>>80817329
>fox and the hound was bad
>>
>>80817696
Bumping for Fox and the Hound starting in here
>>
>>80818083
*Rescuers

Got mixed up because of the fox themed shorts
>>
>>80818020
Why do you think Aristocats doesn't count? If anything it's the worst of those movies, and it certainly fits if you go by a lot of people's definition of the Dark Age as "everything between Walt's death and the Renaissance"
>>
>>80817985
But those movies are not bad. Fox and the Hound is surely remembered fondly and all movie enthusiats call Great Mouse Detective an underrated masterpiece. Now compare that to the actual Dark Age which I believe was everything between Treasure Planet and Bolt (I like some of them but most of them are bad, that period where nobody could give a fuck about Disney movies and Pixar was top dog.
>>
The dark age of Disney began when they stopped doing traditional 2D animation and is currently still going on.
>>
>>80818356
Yeah, but those movies didn't nearly kill the company and weren't part of a "Shit, Walt's gone, what the fuck do we do now?" phase in its history. Though I consider Mouse Detective as the start of the Renaissance myself and start the current "revival era" at Meet the Robinsons, but not as many people acknowledge it as another turning point.

A lot of this Era shit has rather subjective labels.
>>
File: 1.jpg (10 KB, 250x198) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
10 KB, 250x198
>>80818446
It's not a Dark Age if it works. Maybe you should have supported Winnie the Pooh more
>>
>>80818518
>and start the current "revival era" at Meet the Robinsons
There is no way Meet the Robinsons is part of the revival era. Who even remembers that movie? That didn't even do that great critically or financially. The true revival is practically universally thought as between PatF or Tangled
>>
>>80817329
i like all those movies

unlike some of the 2000s stuff
>>
>>80817329
Fuck you, The Fox and the Hound, Oliver and Company and The Great Mouse Detective were great.
>>
>>80818446
Disney is actually on a roll right now, though if you still consider it a dark age, a big difference between before and now is that Disney was in big trouble before and now seems like an unstoppable money making machine today.
>>
>>80818585
It's when John Lasseter came into the mix and started straightening Disney's shit out and it was pretty well received.
>>
>>80818618
Anybody who calls the current trend of movies a dark age is just butthurt because "muh 2D"

I mean don't get me wrong, I fully miss 2D animated works myself but by all things considered Disney has been going nowhere but up

>>80818631
I don't think it was particularly well received compared to Tangled and later movies. And also by that logic would include Bolt and Winnie the Pooh which would be terrible to include as part of that era
>>
>>80817329
>Dark Age
>The Fox and the Hound
>>
>>80818848
>the fox and the hound 2
>>
>>80818928
>Implying anybody likes the Dquels
>>
>>80818744
Well if you're starting at Princess and the Frog or Tangled, Pooh would be included anyways. It came after them.

Also, judging from the film festival they had leading up to Zootopia, Disney considers Bolt as an official start of the revival anyways.
>>
>>80818744
Winnie the Pooh counts regardless, since it was 2011, and you already noted that most people start the Revival at either Tangled (2010) or PatF (2009).
>>
>>80819072
>>80818972
I don't know why I thought that was before PatF
>>
>>80817801
>>80817567
Because of shit advertising, nigga. Most people don't remember them because they weren't aware they existed in the first place and Disney doesn't acknowledge them.
>>
I actually enjoyed The Great Mouse Detective a lot more when I watched it again as an adult. Price as Ratigan is fucking awesome. Meanwhile, my enjoyment of the other three movies in the OP image went way down. I don't think I could even get through them. I'm not sure why, maybe the pacing.
>>
>>80818219
that is a fucking stupid definition as walt died right in the middle of the milt kahl age. the movies didnt change whatsoever when he died.
and aristocats is fucking tops, i'll fite u m8
>>
>>80817329
Cauldron and Oliver are legitimately bad films, but the rest are alright
>>
>>80819843
You're the only person I've ever seen who defines the eras like that. MOst people use the Dark Age as I've said.
>>
Fox and the Hound now on.
>>
>>80817329
Why do people still not get this!
It wasn't called the dark age because the movies were bad. It's because the animation budget tanked which is why you can fucking see trace lines on some frames of these fucking movies.
>>
>tfw Great Mouse Detective is one of your first Disney movies and it's still really good.
Weak as an actual mystery story but moves at a good clip. The young animators are now at the top of their game. Two of the three songs are villain songs, for the best villain. And I think my favorite part now is how much of it takes place at night, it's got a different mood to it compared to other Disney movies.
>>
>>80820482
A general usage of a "dark age" for anything in media is generally considered to be a period in which the thing getting released is consistently shit.
>>
>Dinosaur
>Return to never land
>The jungle book 2
>Teacher's Pet
>Home on the range
>Valiant
>The wild
>Cars
>Bolt
2000s had it worse.
>Mother fucking brother bear 2
>>
>>80820482
But the Xerox/sketchy line stuff started in the 60's with 101 Dalmatians, and you will almost never see people lumping the 60's Disney movies as "Dark Age". They're usually combined with the movies of the 50's as the Silver Age - Cinderella up until Walt's death.
>>
>>80820784
Half of those aren't even Disney Feature Animation.
>>
>>80820784

You know we're talking solely about the Disney Animated Canon not everything Disney right?

(Implying anybody likes the Dquels)
>>
>>80817567
Literally everyone?
>>
>>80821302
2000's was the decade of Dsequels and TV series sequels though.
>>
>>80821337
It is 2016 now, atlantis and Treasure planet were still massive flops anon. Not even critical hits to back up, just flops on all accounts. Flops so bad that disney said fuck it to the whole animated adventure genre.
Home on the range though, I even forgot why it was even a thing.
>>
>>80817696
Black Cauldron about to start.
>>
>>80817329
>Do you agree with this appellation?
>>80817453
This guy gets it.

The "Dark Age" has the title in part because the movies in it didn't make enough money.

It was when Disney was willing to try new ideas (and more importantly distinct movie tones) until they settled on a winning tone/formula in the "Renaissance" and beyond.
>>
>>80818446
Yes, this
>>80818524
>>80818744
Creatively speaking we have reached a dark age. Disney's doing SO well that they can pump out formulaic and trite shit and nostalgiafags will eat it right up and beg for more because "muh Disney".
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.