[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Max Landis Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 111
Thread images: 6
File: Max-Landis-profile-3.jpg (107 KB, 1000x500) Image search: [Google]
Max-Landis-profile-3.jpg
107 KB, 1000x500
So I just read this guy's story "Shocker: Legit?" and I have to say it was the only non-licensed superhero story I ever read.

It was pretty terrific at points. Granted this was written in 2008 before his "big break" with Chronicle.

Any thoughts on this guy?
>>
>>80810426
We still haven't read your fanfiction, Max
>>
>>80810426
He's funny if not a bit a crazy fanboy.
He'd fit in around here.
>>
You're not going to convince us to read your fan fiction max.
>>
>>80810426
I read it and liked it. His other stuff will never, EVER be as good as it was. His Rhino was shit.
>>
Tell us about that Killer Moth pitch landis. Was it basically Shocker: legit but with Killer moth?
>>
>>80810486
He already posts here, he's viraling his own fanfiction.

Max I liked your fanfiction because I'm a shocker fan and I liked how you said the Punisher had octogons for eyes but your dad is a literal child killer.
>>
>>80810563
BUT...Blue Brothers is a great movie.
>>
>>80810605
I said he was a child killer, I didn't say anything about the quality of his films. You can be a great director and still be RESPONSIBLE FOR THE DEATH OF CHILDREN.
>>
>>80810563
Didn't the charges get dropped because they couldn't account for accidents on set?
>>
I don't know. Shocker and crew had a little too easy of a time taking down the avengers.
>>
>>80810426

He's current Superman comic has been storytimed in the catalogue. Having just read it I have to say he has a great understanding of Clark Kent. It's an outstanding book.

Other than that, I've only been familiar with his movies. Chronicle was a fine movie but FF turned out to be an absolute trainwreck. I could see a potentially good movie amongst the shit but the end result was one of the worst cape films to date.

Apparently, a large amount of /co/ thinks he's a hack with zero talent. I guess I've been living under a rock.
>>
>>80810630
Or be a great director and still be responsible for loving of children like Roman P.
>>
>>80810426
His Death of Superman thing was kinda funny, but I never watched Chronicle because I feel found footage is a cheap cancer that needs to die.
>>
File: image.jpg (60 KB, 600x615) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
60 KB, 600x615
I honestly think he has some good ideas and some good frameworks for interesting stories floating around in his head but because he doesn't know how to write characters with unique personalities or traits those frameworks usually fall completely flat. He is as close as a director will ever come to being on our level as a fan who is actually interested in discussing content, which is kinda sad.
>>
>>80810426
we know it's you Max. Post a timestamp and stop being a faggot
>>
>>80810563
>>80810630
Which led to an increase in safety standards in film making, so totally worth it. Also, they were Chinese children.
>>
>>80810823
>Also, they were Chinese children
Are you memeing right now, or just /pol/posting?
>>
>>80810653
Did Landis have anything to do with FF? I thought that was just Trank.
>>
>>80810851
no they were actually Chinese.
>>
>>80810851
>Are you memeing right now
I was being facetious. Is that what the cool kids call memeing these days?
>>
File: image.jpg (121 KB, 576x862) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
121 KB, 576x862
>>80810485
>>
>>80810869

You're right. I've confused the two together.
>>
>>80810966
this is one of the funniest things I've ever seen on the internet
>>
>>80810426
He has such an ego that he thinks he's the greatest writer ever born. He hates critics and Rottentomatoes because they don't suck his tiny cock and don't like his shitty movies (even the new one he directed Me Him Her). He has interesting ideas but executes them terribly.
>>
I like Landis, I just wish he wouldn't get so fucking full of himself. His appearance on Best of the Worst was great, as was his drunken explanation of the Death of Superman. Hell, I think he was spot on when talking about how Rey was a Mary Sue. But the problem is that he can't let go of his own ego and admit that stuff like Chronicle and American Ultra weren't very good, so he basically ruins his own insights by looking like an absolute jackass constantly.
>>
"Legit" was a novel premise and started pretty decently, but ended up turning Shocker into a pretty clear snarky self-insert fantasy.

I mean, the Black Cat sex scene was clearly not for the reader's benefit.
>>
He was right about Iron Fist, and he's clearly passionate about comics (especially Clark). He may be a douche with a large ego, but I have a soft spot for him.
>>
>>80810426
He does not get Superman/Clark Kent at all. He says how he loves the characters because if how nice he is then has the guy act so tryhard and edgy. From burning people's arms off, smashing Batman's equipment and walls, using extreme force on enemies, making fun of enemies(something he criticized Spider-Man for doing), threading to kill people, he even has Superman do the scary look with the glowing red eyes that every hack writer does. He's like a younger JMS. I wish he would go work for Marvel.
>>
>>80810966
Did Shocker fight Bullseye?
>>
>>80811368
I hope so
>>
>>80811357
If looked at in the right way that sounds like a disguised love letter from a marvelfag.
>>
>>80811357
>I wish he would go work for Marvel.
Keep him. We've got enough shit over here already.
>>
>>80810426
Shocker: Legit was shit and Shocksr was a shitty Gary Stu(funny considering Max Landis hates Mary Sues). And his self-insert in Me Him Her was terrible
>>
>>80811184
he was terrible on BotW. all he did was talk over people and not let them get a word in because he's in love with his own voice
>>
>>80810653
Go away Landis. Shoo.
>>
Chronicle was alright, if forgettable. Outside of that, I have no strong opinions of him.
>>
I love how red letter media hated his new movie but didnt want to badmouth it too bad since they are "friends"

They keep making fucking excuses for it which is hilarious.
>>
>>80811357
>>80811479
Marvel wouldn't even hire him considering he annoyed Spencer >>80810966 and pissed Gunn off.
>>
>>80811677
>cucklord
This sounds like tumblr trying to be /pol/
>>
>>80811676
How'd he piss Gunn off?
>>
>>80811636
Which one? Those Schmoes hacks did the same with Frankenstein
>>
>>80811636
Only Mike was the one who went easy.

Jay/Susan was BRUTAL on Max and did not hold back on how shitty the movie was.

Mike is just pathetic. I mean, lying and saying you liked American Ultra and Victor Frankenstien when you hated them in your reviews. Mike has no balls.
>>
He seems like a nice guy but he doesn't take criticism very well and the only thing from him I enjoyed was Chronicle.
>>
I wish someone would teach him how to dress properly.
>>
Have any of you guys ever read his 6-hour "epic" Super Mario Bros script?

It's a pile of shit, and even he claims it's a pile of shit. But then he goes on to talk about how great it would be as a gritty Mario reboot.
>>
>>80811876
Or show him a good barber shop.
>>
>>80811774
At Morrisoncon, Gunm called Chronicle a superhero movie. Max Landis acted like Gunn called him a Nigger. Max sperged out and started to lecture the audience like it was his personal con/YouTube video on what is and isn't a superhero (it was cringy). Gunn was embarrassed (Morrison thought it was hilarious).
>>
>>80810966
As someone who likes Max's stuff, this is fucking hilarious. What a fucking a dick,

Spencer remains BASED
>>
>>80811920
Did Mario stab Bowser then, while laughing and taunting him, make him crawl to a portal to save his life?
>>
>>80812015
Is there a video of it?
>>
>>80812077

Bowser isn't even the villain. Max teases him as a villain throughout the script (basically saying Mario has fought him like 10 times before and having Bowser show up and get pissy at the diplomatic meetings in the script) then basically has him do a "big damn hero" moment at the end of the script.

>The villain is a chain-smoking Wario with an army of tanks and machine-gun-wielding Shy Guys, who in this universe are lepers
>>
>>80811184
He was awful in BotW and that "Rey is le Mary Sue" shit was the most contrarian, tipped in favor of the originals shit I've ever seen.

But his gay sweater in BotW is pretty good, I want it.
>>
>>80812158
Why are TFAfags so thin-skinned?
>>
>>80811774
https://youtube.com/watch?v=oQmJTvokyjQ
>>
>>80812240
Let's not start. This is about Max "Read my fanfic" Landis, we can argue about the Star Wars elsewhere.
>>
>>80811789
Which one of them was responsible for them dragging out a three episode 'plot arc' for 15 months? I guess they're fans of DBZ and Naruto. This is why nobody outside of 4chan likes RLM.
>>
>>80810426
the guy is not good at dialogue
>>
>>80812313
>Giving a shit about the plot of HitB
>>
>>80812313
Reddit loves RLM
>>
>>80810426
>non licensed superhero story

you can say fanfic man, nobody's going to judge you
>>
>>80812367
You can find a part of reddit that loves anything.
>>
I've read it. The good parts were pretty much good for the same reasons that Superior Foes was good, i.e. it made the villains very easy to relate to.

But the bad parts were so bad...pointless swearing, edgy violence...that it could never be anything more than fanfiction.
>>
>>80810426
wait he wrote that? I remember thinking it was surprisingly professional feeling but also still felt like the worst fanwank. To this day Landis could use a good editor.
>>
>>80810426
He has some interesting ideas but he needs a co-writer or editor. Also his humor tries to hard to be Quirky and Random.
>>
>>80811636
>>80811789
I know 4chan isn't exactly known for it's sympathy, and as an anonymous user I don't either, but in the sense of real life I can sort of see why Mike would have some empathy for the guy.
>>
>>80811920

It's basically Max's ultimate fanfiction. Samus, Ness, Duck Hunt Dog, Kirby, Conker the Squirrel and fucking -BANJO AND KAZOOIE- all make cameos. Hell, Kirby has a major role.
>>
>>80812563
That sounds like a bigger clusterfuck than BvS and Civil War combined.
>>
>>80812135
>>80812077
>>80811920
Would still watch that over Moviebob's Mario movie pitch where Bowser is just a magically roided out Koopa Troopa that's a puppet ruler for Kamek and Wario is just some random evil twin for Mario to fight in the third act.
>>
>>80812266
Jesus fuck, I made it two and a half minutes and had to stop. That was painful.
>>
>>80812608
Well yeah, it's written by fucking Moviebob. Anyone with half a mind should prefer whatever Landis has if that's the other option.
>>
>>80812608
>am an edgy faggot
>>
>>80812554
They really shouldn't review Max Landis's movies since Mike can't keep it professional.
>>
>>80810869
He wrote a script for it.

Though he writes scripts for literally every big movie that comes out ever just so he can post it on his Twitter and boast about how his script was so much better than the finished product.
>>
>>80812601

It's worse than that. Every Mario character pre-Sunshine makes an appearance, and pretty much all of them have fleshed-out parts. Chuck Quizmo is there, he has an arc. King K. Rool is there, he has an arc. Pretty much every single Kong gets a line of dialogue. Mallow and Croco are there. It's basically Game of Thrones mixed with Mario on every drug imaginable.
>>
>>80812445
Very true. I think he's gotten better as he's gotten older but he's like Mark Millar with how he thinks edgy shit is cool.

He reminds me of the era in the 70's when all of Batman's enemies were being edgified, but in practice it was just making every one of them into a themed serial killer. Condiment King, he's a serial killer who kills by filling their bodies with mustard! Crazy Quilt, he's a serial killer who makes quilts out of people's skin! Clock King, he's a serial killer who hits people with clocks!
>>
>>80812608
But is it better than Moviebob's exciting book?!!
>>
>>80812827
I kinda want a Mario Universe comic series autisticly exploring every aspect of the world now.
>>
>>80811189
That actually happened?

Holy shit Landis
>>
>>80811368
>>80811396
No. At best, Boomerang fights a robot Bullseye.
>>
>>80810426
Dont rate him much as a writer, he seems to have gotten worse with time.
>>
File: this nigga gets me.jpg (10 KB, 288x306) Image search: [Google]
this nigga gets me.jpg
10 KB, 288x306
>>80811189
haha can someone post an excerpt so we can cringe and laugh at this hack (we know you're in here, Landis)?
>>
>>80813403
LUIGI
(appearing from the
shadows, holding his
Peacemaker)
My name is Luigi Cassavettes and
I’m an unstoppable war machine.
I’m here to save Tadpole Pond.
BELOME
(laughs evilly)
You a liddle late for dat, hooman.
LUIGI
(gritting his teeth)
Step away from the children.
Belome blinks.
BELOME
Wario sed I could eat deh ones his
guys didden get.
(turns back to the baby
Froggix)
You bes’ waitchur turn, eh?
LUIGI
I’m taking those children and
leaving.
(raises his Peacemaker and
clicks back the hammer)
Get out of my way or be destroyed.
>>
>>80814182

(OH MY GOD THIS IS FUCKING RIDICULOUS!)

The force of the blow sends Mario forty feet up to the roof of the hall, which he smashes against.
He drops down, clearly almost knocked out, and crashes to the
ground just in front of Wario.
Wario draws a pistol, but Mario Capoiera-kicks it out of his hand, snap-kicks him in the legs repeatedly, and then goes to punch him in the face.
Wario ducks, and slugs Mario in the jaw, sending him skidding into a pile of rubble. Wario shouts something incoherent and angry and dives at Mario, who kicks him in the face.
Wario flips mid-air from the impact of the kick and hits the prostrate Bowser’s shell with more impact than could possibly be comfortable. Mario leaps up next to him and Judo-hiptosses
Wario back-first onto one of Bowser’s shell spikes, impaling him.

WARIO
AAAAGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!

Mario stares at him for a moment as he twitches and screams, and then drops down to see Peach, who’s running towards him. Then embrace and kiss.

PEACH
(pulling back a little)
I knew you’d come! I did, I knew the whole time you’d be here to rescue us,

There’s a gunshot, and Peach falls back, shot in the side.

Mario immediately drops down next to her. Wario, still impaled on the spike, laughs.

WARIO
Gotcha.
>>
>>80814182
It's Luigi Mario, you turd! At least respect the canon of the previous movie! Next you'll be telling me he's not Mario's son either!
>>
>>80814298
A gunshot rings through the canyon, and one of the Shy-Guys explodes apart inside his robes. Luigi, cowboy revolver raised and smoking, stalks towards the Shy-Guys, taking aim.
One of the Shy-Guys scrambles to pick up his gun, getting a bullet to the chest for his trouble; his shattered pieces go flying everywhere.
The two remaining Shy-Guys leap at Luigi; one of them he catches with a punch that shatters its head, but the other leaps up onto his torso and begins beating his skull like a drum.
Luigi stumbles back, and the Shy-Guy pulls a combat knife, but before he can use it Toad breezes by and decapitates him.
The Shy-Guy’s head flies up and shatters mid-air, leaving only a mask and piece of cloth to fall to the ground. Mallow coughs weakly
>>
File: 344279_1280.jpg (68 KB, 1280x697) Image search: [Google]
344279_1280.jpg
68 KB, 1280x697
>>80814298
>Wario draws a pistol, but Mario Capoiera-kicks it out of his hand
I honestly never imagined I would read those particular words put in that particular order.
>>
>>80814452
Top fucking kek
>>
>>80814408
Wario smiles, and pulls the bolt, ejecting the six-inch long spent shell. There’s a neat hole in Bowser’s chest, leaking his orange blood. He roars, and charges at Wario.

BOOM.

The muzzle flare alone is five feet long. The bullet hits Bowser in the shoulder, and blows straight through him and out his back in a spray of orange blood and purple dust.
Bowser stumbles back, but then rights himself and roars, charging once more.

BOOM.

The bullet strikes Bowser in the side of the head, cracking off one of his horns. Bowser is barely fazed, despite the fact that part of his bloody skull is now exposed. He leaps through the shop window, shattering the frame around his massive body and shell, and lands on top of Wario, repeatedly clawing his face and chest, ripping ghastly horizontal gashes open all over him.
Wario shrieks in pain and manages to aim the gun and fires a shot through Bowser’s neck. Bowser collapses off of him, rasping wet breaths, and then stops moving entirely.

WARIO
Got ya.

Wario stands up, stumbling badly; Bowser hurt him. He spits on Bowser’s body, and then leaves the shop.
We go in close on Bowser’s seemingly dead eyes. He blinks.

BOWSER
Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
>>
>>80810426

Go home Max, we still don't care about you
>>
File: Necesito mas...mucho mas.jpg (66 KB, 546x366) Image search: [Google]
Necesito mas...mucho mas.jpg
66 KB, 546x366
>>80814408
Is his Shocker fanfic this retarded?
>>
He talks a big game, yet he's been able to prove himself on nearly all accounts

He gets a pass from me. Like it or not, its clear that he has a really good understanding when it comes to what makes an idea good and what's actually possible within the industry

Also his American Alien is really fucking good the second it steps outside of Smallville

Max, if you're reading, you've got a supporter. Now get off your ass and pitch me another Superman story
>>
>>80815105
>Max, if you're reading, you've got a supporter
Talking to yourself ain't healthy, Max.
>>
>>80815105
>Also his American Alien is really fucking good the second it steps outside of Smallville
It's really not.
>>
>>80810426

His Superman vs Joker comic is easily one of the worst pieces of indulgent wank I've ever read. Superman could not have been a more transparent mouthpiece. He might as well of just shopped his own face in.

Chronicle was bretty gud though.
>>
>>80815244
C'mon, Max. don't reply to your own posts. Put down the gun
>>
Only thing I read from him was Superman: American Alien

it's alright

reading up on his other stuff it just seems like he's great at pitching but he has zero filter whatsoever
>>
>>80815312
Max, this is getting out of hand.
>>
The only good thing he's written was Chronicle.

Death and Return of Superman/Wrestling isn't Wrestling were good, but those aren't so much films as they are large reviews with skits in them. WiW was also basically a cherrypicking of Triple H's WWE career, ignoring his worst moments like going against Booker T in a racism angle or Kane in a necrophilia angle.

American Ultra fell flat on it's dumb premise and Victor Frankenstein was incredibly fucking bad.

I think he's a better director than he is a writer, judging from how quickly he managed to cobble his web "films".
>>
>>80815303
The only way I could see that Superman vs Joker comic working is if it was the backstory for the Regime's world in Injustice.
>>
>>80810898
perfect response
>>
>>80815696
>I think he's a better director than he is a writer
He's just as bad. Just look at Me Him Her.
>>
>>80815303
In that shitty Joker story, which was really just an indictment of the character but that's OK because if there ever was a character who needed to be indicted it's Joker, Landis has Superman say he doesn't have a rule against killing, which is just false.

At the time he seemed to believe that Superman was cool because "he'll kill if he has to" unlike Batman. Which is technically true, because he killed Zod and Doomsday when he had to, but Superman would never say it, because in his mind he'd believe that he shouldn't ever have to. He wouldn't even consider it an option until someone forced it onto him. He certainly wouldn't just go "you know I totally could kill you".

Then for awhile he was on the All-Star bandwagon of people who missed the point that it's about Silver Age Superman, not Superman in general. I think when he met Morrison he may have straightened him out a lot on that because you don't see any of that in American Alien.

I really do like American Alien so far so I'm willing to believe he's gotten better, but I'd still prefer he be kept away from the character.
>>
>>80815010
no it's actually kinda good
>>
>>80812015
>(Morrison thought it was hilarious)
Oh Grant.
>>
>>80812015
video?
>>
>>80810426
counting the days till he has a psychotic break from going off his meds and kills himself.
>>
>>80815696
DaRoS and his Knightfall one are fucking hilarious, despite his kinda smarmy tone. It's not accurate and exaggerated, sure, but that's the point.

Max, we'll love you again if you just do more Drunk History with comic arcs using your network of minor celebrity friends. Do Zero Hour and Infinite Crisis! We know you're reading this
>>
>>80812367
And /tv/ loved RLM until they got a Patreon. Trust me, I was there. The only reason /tv/ hates RLM now is because of how popular they've became.
>>
>>80812015
Man the very idea of Max Landis (a guy who seems to constantly try and seem cool) saying or doing anything in the same place as Grant Morrison is just hillarious to me.
>>
>>80816670
Except he forgot to mention that the whole reason DoS happened wa because the TV executives didnt want Clark and Lois to Marry before their TV counterparts did. So they decided to kill off Superman and do all five alternate versions of Superman stories to kill time.
Thread replies: 111
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.