[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
You know after re-watching the entire series for a second time,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 6
File: Steven_Universe_logo.png (80 KB, 800x304) Image search: [Google]
Steven_Universe_logo.png
80 KB, 800x304
You know after re-watching the entire series for a second time, I realized I'd be a fucking liar to say that the show didn't fall off a cliff at a certain point. For me it had to be "Cry for Help."
>>
I used to be a huge fan of the series. I wanted to stream the entire season and a half online to see how the story evolved. Unfortunate I was met with just utter mediocrity after a certain point. Maybe this show is best watched in small doses, or maybe I have shit taste. I don't know, has anyone else come to this realization?
>>
>>80800857
>I'd be a fucking liar to say that the show didn't fall off a cliff at a certain point.
>For me it had to be "Cry for Help."
>implying it wasn't "Gem Glow"
>>
>>80800857
I honestly think it's a great show for kids. It addresses a lot of issues that pretty much never get touched, and it only seems to be getting better at that. Not great entertainment for adults, but I'd rather let my kids watch this than something that coddles them and tells them they're all perfect and special and nobody has problems ever.
>>
>>80800889
You're right it wasn't "Cry for Help" it was probably "Island Adventure." The very first episode of Steven Universe is pretty dull to watch through. Nothing special just introducing characters, motives, setting, etc. I just wish it was more memorable considering the plot's episode is about the fucking end of the world.
>>
>>80800909
No, it's a good show I'm not denying that. But we all look for different things in a show. I'm much more invested in the plot's development. Other people just like being entertained by the show in general.
>>
>>80800922
So you're saying there are no good episodes after season 1? Lol okay m8.
>>
>>80800952
No... I said that the series gets derailed at a certain point, which at least to me is after "Cry for Help." I don't like "Island Adventure" for many of the reasons you wouldn't care to hear me bitch about. It was a unfunny, try heart, double standard episode which I resent. Besides the song there's nothing that ever makes you smile in the episode. This is probably a prime example of why ships should be left to sink.
>>
>>80801003
>gets derailed at a certain point
Derailed how?
>>
It's cute that people are trying to pretend the show got worse somehow when it's really only just getting started plot-wise.
>>
I feel like we're just jumping on it thanks to its awkward mid season pause, same way people got frustrated when it awkwardly paused middle of the second half of season one. I wouldn't say they're bad episodes at all, just they're not climaxes like everyone started freaking out about and people are now only watching for the climaxes. I've enjoyed the show long before that point and don't find the first half of season one dull at all like lots of /co/ seems to think.
>>
>>80801035
Go re-watch the series again like I did. Pretend like the hiatuses weren't a thing. You begin the realize that a huge plot points like the cluster just sudden vanishes into the background. Or character motives begin to get skewed by retard logic, or a general fuck off Mary Sue like moments the series is so good at doing. Characters who did absolutely nothing get pissed on for no reason whatsoever, and more.

The series promotes so many themes mainly the series' now love trademark, but shit gets pretty questionable after a certain point.
>>
>>80801104
The story is from Steven's perspective, kids don't stay focused very well all the time.
>>
>>80801104
I've watched through it twice. We're literally in the middle of the cluster plot and it has been a near constant presence what with, you know, their permanent relocation to the barn to build that drill. I've had no trouble understanding motivation for the characters either time, and what the fuck are you even talking about marysue wise here? You're getting extremely buzzwordy and is ripping any point your original post had to just really bland bait and hate.
>>
>>80801104
It's a slow burn you silly billy
>>
>>80801119
>>i thought it was from Roses perspective
>>
>>80801119
Even if I were to believe that the story was being told from Steven's perspective there's just something that doesn't sit right with me. The fact that in almost every instance he's always 'right' in some capacity. There's never a moment where he's straight up wrong. I know the writers have a love for this character it's very evident from his first appearance up until now. Steven has always been a likable child character, but I feel as if the writers are inserting him in problematic issues where he just isn't qualified to have an input. Granted he's the main character and he does in fact learn from his mistakes, but the speeches he gives every third episode was a strain on me. how can one character be so right?

>>80801185
Buzzword, buzzword, buzzword... Shit, I didn't know Mary Sue was a trigger. I'll remember not to use it again. It isn't hate, it's more like a sudden realization as a once die hard fan that the levity of the series just the same after a second viewing. Don't be so sensitive, I'm just sayin'...
>>
>>80800857
TBQH the show only got better as it went on. It didn't start great, gradually got better and better.
>>
>>80801322
The thing is you sound like a parrot. I was shopping what you were calling a MarySue and this is your reaction? You just threw that it there with no clear connection to anything.
>>
>>80801343
Oh no, the show is still great. I got a good kick out of it when I was re-watching certain episodes. Iz Gud.
>>
>>80801368
Steven... Steven is the Mary Sue. I thought you got that when I linked two responses together. Or did you just simply look at your (You) without reading the post on top?
>>
>>80800857
Why?

I mean, this whole thread is probably bait and about to be deleted, but why do you think that Cry for Help was the point?
>>
File: 1437626579172.png (680 KB, 619x480) Image search: [Google]
1437626579172.png
680 KB, 619x480
>>80801322
>What are you talking about mary sue?
>"I'm sorry you got triggered anon , jeez, just speaking as a die hard fan.."

you could have at least
you know
tried to give your explanation for using that term
instead of just taking the predictable route
>>
>>80801368
*I was asking what

And anyways, you're the one who seems offended at this point. What about the other stuff I said, like how there had been basically no praise in the cluster plot you seem to claim there is. Even the "filler" episode of Stevens birthday mentioned it.
>>
>>80801385
wait nevermind this guy doesn't know what a sue is
>>
>>80801385
You're fucking WRONG you are SO WRONG you fucking motherfucking FUCK. He's a Gary Stu. :3
>>
>>80801385
Uhhhh, what?
>>
>>80801402
Silly anon, Steven isn't a boy.
>>
>>80801104
This is a bit of a problem with the series. The main plot is widely inconsistent, from 'WE GOTTA STOP THE CLUSTER' to the cluster being relegated to a side note, to WE GOTTA STOP IT again, and back and forth.

Peridot is a good example of this, over the course of five episodes basically her whole character changes to the point of abandoning YD. This really should have happened AFTER they stop the cluster, not before.
>>
>>80801412
>'WE GOTTA STOP THE CLUSTER' to the cluster being relegated to a side note
When have they stopped going for the cluster? We've been constantly following that plot for a while now. That's the whole point of the gem drill they've been working on for the past like 10 episodes. They didn't go from "we have to stop the cluster" to "we're immediately now fighting the cluster" which would be way worse pacing. Even weirder still, how does 're watching the series bring you to this conclusion? I understand the hiatus making you think there's too much downtime between it but you watching it all sequentially note had you mad because it took more than one episode to form the plan?
>>
>>80801465
>way worse pacing.
>SU
>Good pacing to begin with
>>
>>80801412
Your point is right but Peridot got there pretty naturally regardless of runtime. A better example would be how they could calmly train Connie over a long period of time with montages even, but w episodes later are panicking about finding Malachite. Season 2 has been really good, but the multiple plot threads show a small weakness in the approach to continuity they have gone with. The end of S1 had 1 major plotline the last episodes were dealing with, so the episodes could be self contained but fit next to each other perfectly. Now we have 3 or so major plot threads so it feels like each standalone is jumping from one thread to another. That said the quality is still really high so I'm cool.
>>
>>80801510
>Peridot got there pretty naturally

I feel the complete opposite. Of course Peridot has been around long enough the warrant herself a notice me card. But somewhere along the course of the series the character was massively fucked over by an unseen force. The character is an annoying little shit now. It stopped being funny and turned pretty sad after the writers became fully committed to their love letter to Invader Zim. The series would've been fine without the inclusion on Peridot. We don't need another Crystal Gem, especially an annoying one. That position has already been filled by Pearl.
>>
>>80801104
Ive watched each episode of the series at least 10 times by now and I dont agree eith what youre saying.

You probably wouldnt be saying this if the show didnt have these hiatuses. This also happened with Gravity Falls. People started nitpicking the show saying it was alot worse than they thought it was.With no consistent release of content, you tend to get burnt out.

Anyway I I disagree. The show at its core really hasnt changed. Maybe you just never actually lied it and you thpugt yu did, because some of the best episodes have been recent ones. If you're just in it for plot you're going to be dissapointed. It is stil a kids show after all. And its certainly better than any show currently attempting to tell a story.
>>
>>80801322
>There's never a moment where he's straight up wrong
bahaha are you kidding
if you check out the start of the series again, you can easily eat those words given how many times his fuckups cause trouble for everyone else
>>
>>80801620

Cool opinion you have their, friendo.
>>
>>80801622
But I don't care about hiatuses.The show becomes much more sweeter when it does go back on air after three or so months. I'm not anxious for the show anyway. When it another bomb happens I'm generally happy to continue viewing where I left off.

>>80801635
Maybe in the very early beginning but go back and watch the last five episodes.
>>
File: yeah totally.gif (262 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
yeah totally.gif
262 KB, 300x300
>>80801636
>>
>>80801690
it's almost like he developed as a character and learned not to be as much of a fuck up
>>
>>80801620
Peridot is literally perfect.
>>
>2A is worse than 1B
How to spot bait.

1B is the low point because it's the awkward transition from a tightly planned half season to a multi season show, and it just dumped a ton of human bonding episodes all at once.

2A has actual character arcs and themes going on between multiple episodes.
>>
>>80801322
>Gem Glow
Your power isn't triggered by fucking ice cream you dumb, fatass preteen.
>Cheeseburger Backpack
Loses sight of purpose out of excitement and trying-too-hard
>Together Breakfast
Selfishly trying to get the Gem's attention & ignoring the warnings the Gems give him and jeopardizing his safety

You know what i'm just going to stop here because literally every episode is "Steven makes a mistake and either he fucks stuff up, or, later in the series, he has to learn and fix his mistake."
>>
>>80801104
The real plot point that got dropped was Steven seeing Lapis in his dreams.
>>
>>80802198
Warp tour to full disclosure is the best the series has been. Some episodes aren't amazing, but as a single chunk it's SU at top form.
>>
>>80802283
Sardonyx arc was better.

A strong starting episode, three character episodes with varying levels of involvement that address both the core issue of the conflict and other aspects of the gem's personalities and histories, and a satisfying conclusion that doesn't perfectly "end" the issue but resolves it.

If you care about deep lores and plot advancement it may not be your thing, but it was the most solid and thoughtful arc so far.
>>
>>80801322
Not that I care about your guys' argument, but I thought I would mention that Sugar has said that the series is from Steven's point of view more than once.

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/06/15/steven-universe-creator-growing-gender-politics-her-brother

https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/2e4gmx/i_am_rebecca_sugar_creator_of_steven_universe_and (sorry I know it's reddit, but it's straight from the horses mouth here)
>>
File: 1457653175723.jpg (28 KB, 700x525) Image search: [Google]
1457653175723.jpg
28 KB, 700x525
>>80801104
>You begin the realize that a huge plot points like the cluster just sudden vanishes into the background.
You're so stupid.

You're confusing a lack of pay-off derived from how the future episodes AREN'T OUT YET with actual lack of pay-off.

Like holy jesus.
>>
>>80801690
He fucked up in the recent birthday episode, but generally the characters fuck up in episodes that focus on their own development, and I think the steven focused episodes in this season are still to come. I will say I was starting to worry we'd never get away from the "thirsty pearl" thing that came up quite a bit from Sworn to the Sword aaaalll the way until Friend Ship, but she's finally settled the fuck down and stopped doing the "muh Rose/muh co-dependence" thing every time she shows up
>>
>>80801104
the Cluster has been talked about for almost every episode besides the last one
the fuck dude

I love how you cite no examples after that either
>>
File: tumblr_o0r5gtmzY61rz2dg6o6_1280.png (732 KB, 1280x735) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o0r5gtmzY61rz2dg6o6_1280.png
732 KB, 1280x735
>>80802246
Just to add on to my comment, when I first started watching Steven Universe a year ago I almost gave up on it, thankfully the "last" episode I was going to watch was Tiger Millionaire where Steven's losing streak ends and I came around.

I thought Steven was the stupidest fucking cartoon character I had seen in a while, all I wanted was more Crystal Gems, not this stupid baby and his fuckup dad.I was embarrassed on Steven's behalf because he's exactly what I was like at his age, too naive and excitable to realize that I was burdening other people.

As the series went on, I realized, yes, I was just like Steven, and THAT was why I disliked him - he reminded me of the things I didn't like about myself. As Steven began to mature and learn from his mistakes, I felt more inspired to work on my own self, to try and be a positive influence on those around me like Steven. I've found inspiration in all of the Crystal Gems and even with the pacing issues which I mostly attribute to the 11 minute format requiring a slow-burn to the plot, and the hiatus-curse, it's still a show that I'll put on in the background to make a long day or chores go faster.
>>
>>80802429
Actually even Log Date showed they were still working on the drill and to quote Peridot:
>Progress on the cluster drill is going optimal. Surprisingly, though I have a few complaints on the work ethic of-
>>
>>80801104
It says something that the series was good enough for you to re-watch twice.

You think anyone here is going to be rewatching Arrow or Legends of Tomorrow? Maybe some die hards will go through Flash S1 again.

And how did the cluster disappear form the plot? They've been stuck on the farm focusing on nothing but it. Did you mean the forced fusion freaks coming out the ground?
>>
>>80802480
right
I am glad to be proven wrong in this case
>>
>>80802480
all of Log Date except for the first and last scene takes place before It Could Have Been Great, because there are no ambiguous time skips between those three episodes - it goes straight from moon trip, to Peridot chase and YD call, to Peridot freaking out over what she just did
>>
The show fell off? And here I thought it only kept getting better.
>>
>>80800857
It was when Connie was introduced. She is only part of the cancer ruining the show but still a part of it.
>>
>>80801119
That's no excuse for poor writing
>>
>>80801690
>Maybe in the very early beginning but go back and watch the last five episodes.
Okay.

Oh look at that Steven's Birthday was four episodes ago.
>>
>>80802331
I disagree the Sardoynx arc was probably the lowest point in Steven Universe. I understand what the writer's intent was, introducing conflicting views for a means of solving those issues to develop stronger bonds. But the point still remains that they introduced drama just for the sake of drama. I couldn't stand watching through the week of cringe as the Crystal Gems acted like children, and especially Amethyst's unnecessary woes as we the viewer tread through the same angst we buried back in "On the Run." I can't empathize with this character who purposely inflicts harm on others, yet simultaneously wants to be shown compassion. The fact that little good came out of that arc and it was simply a means to end, only to give a token resolution and never be addressed again is shit writing.
>>
>>80803103
>But the point still remains that they introduced drama just for the sake of drama.
It spelled out what fusion means, it helped build on and resolve a lot of Pearl's issues, it showed us that Garnet can be vulnerable too in a way we never saw before. If you want to criticize a work it helps if you think about it for more than five seconds instead of just piling on big words.
>>
>>80801104
I think it's unfortunate that they chose to cancel the series without actually bringing up what the cluster is or whether it can be stopped.
>>
>>80801119
I'm a fan of the show, but this is always a shitty argument.
>>
>>80803177
>I think it's unfortunate that they chose to cancel the series
Here's your (You).
>>
>>80803177
At least you tried.
>>
>>80803103
>Amethyst's unnecessary woes as we the viewer tread through the same angst we buried back in "On the Run."
I disagree. Amethyst's angst during the Sardonyx arc originally came from the Sugilite accident, and after Pearl's lie was revealed, the angst came from the conflict between Pearl and Garnet.

>character who purposely inflicts harm on others, yet simultaneously wants to be shown compassion
I don't remember Pearl inflicting any harm during the Sardonyx arc, except onto maybe Peridot.
>>
>>80803103
You haven't noticed pearls change in character since that arc concluded?
>>
>>80802396

Do you like drinking your own piss? How far up your ass are you not to see the plot essentially be stilted? Or are your shitty rock waifus obscuring your fat fucking face? Did you not read what he said properly? It's not the fucking pay off you retard, it's the fact that shit gets brushed under the rug with only minimal concern.

>"Oh I'll deal with it later... No rush time for a birthday party."

And no shit future episodes aren't out yet moron you sound so fucking idiotic. It was an example of the current status of show. How can one person be this FUCKING stupid?

Shit he even said it, you decided in all your dipshit glory to redact it.

>You begin the realize that a huge plot points like the cluster just sudden vanishes into the background.

>like
>like
>like

Go kill yourself fucking faggot.
>>
Personally, I thought the show went downhill after Ocean Gem.
>>
>>80803375
Even in the birthday episode steven asks garnet if its okay that they're taking a break from the drill and she says they should celebrate his progress.

Also calm down spaz.
>>
>>80803375
>he said
Nice try brother. Liked the "waifu high ground" technique so here's a (you).
>>
Literally what was the point of the Sardonyx subplot? It was a boring self-contained shitfest that lasted for five fucking episodes.
>>
>>80803496
Pearl stopping to be such a codependent bitch.
>>
>>80803496
>It was a starting point for Pearl's ongoing recovery (she's been a mess since Rose's scabbard and though the episodes ended positively, none of them showed any signs that she'd get better)
>Showed Amethyst history with Vidalia, giving her someone outside the group that she has a relationship with.
>Showed off Ruby and Sapphire and their personalities.
That's a fine number of "points" for something to exist for me. The episodes were also pretty entertaining.
>>
>>80803475
Good shit mang...
>>
>>80803496
Rape culture.
>>
>>80803630
These minuscule character developments that have no bearing on the show itself doesn't excuse how mundane and drawn-out the whole thing was. The actual plot didn't move at all.

First episode:
>We need to find Peridot!

Last episode:
>We STILL need to find Peridot!
>>
>>80803103
You are one of those people who gets uncomfortable when things don't follow checklists and wrap up nicely.

Onion Trade is probably the best Amythest episode because it gives us multiple facets of her character without being melodramatic and focuses on an often overlooked side of conflicts in fiction: the feelings of the neutral friend.

The arc even showed off Garnet not being perfect for once, refusing to be the bigger person and just unconditionally forgiving Pearl.
>>
>>80803630
Every Pearl episode is the same. Spastic crying followed by "Muh Rose." I just wish this character didn't have to be dependent on another just to stay relevant.
>>
>>80803799
The entire point of the arc was to stop that shit. Notice that we've had a Pearl focus episode since then that finally, FINALLY didn't tie back to "MUH Rose/Dependency".
>>
>>80803752
Just because something doesnt move the plot forward doesnt mean they arent significant. There have been references to the arc in n recent episodes. Its not like its been completely glossed over.
>>
>>80803752
>Guys stop focusing on the characters, the frame narrative hasn't progressed in the last 1/10 of a season!
I don't think you understand storytelling as well as you think you do.
>>
File: pink hair smug stare.png (31 KB, 178x184) Image search: [Google]
pink hair smug stare.png
31 KB, 178x184
>>80801003
>>80800922

Ooo lala, somebody is going for their PHD in critical analysis
>>
>>80800922
It's the first episode that introduced gender role reversal, one of the most prominent, nauseating themes in the show

So yes, it is the time when the show went to shit
>>
I'm not sure which threads are better, bait threads or threads where what appear to be actual fans are fighting each other.
>>
>>80804696
Which one is this?
Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.