[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How did Frozen get the Oscar over The Wind Rises? Why was this
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 5
File: images (1).jpg (28 KB, 512x288) Image search: [Google]
images (1).jpg
28 KB, 512x288
How did Frozen get the Oscar over The Wind Rises? Why was this travesty allowed to be? The Wind Rises is one of the Miyazaki's finest work.
>>
Judges literally do not care about the Best Animated award and often don't even watch the nominees.
>>
File: Ellnn52.jpg (56 KB, 375x600) Image search: [Google]
Ellnn52.jpg
56 KB, 375x600
>>80779587
This is so infuriating.
>>
File: fug.png (44 KB, 774x302) Image search: [Google]
fug.png
44 KB, 774x302
>>80779726
True, but this one pissed me off the most.
>>
>>80779726
>Frozen is intelligent, empowering, and inspiring.

With a wicked sense of humor?
>>
The committee doesn't care about cartoons.
>>
>>80780644
They don't seem to care about movies in general, given how they pick winners.
>>
>>80780756
After seeing Redlettermedia, I think the committee just has a very different idea of film.
>>
>>80779563
Maybe because TWR try too hard to win the Oscar meanwhile it wasn't really great compare to others' Ghibli film
>>
>>80779563
Because adults in the US don't care about cartoons, but you already knew that. Why did you make a thread about this if everyone already knows the answer
>>
>>80779726
Wasn't there another quote that referred to Song of the Sea as 'some stupid chinese shit' or similar?

The academy is a joke
>>
>>80779726
I sincerely hope these people weren't paid to do this or anything of that nature. Admitting to not watching all the films should've gotten you kicked out. That's just unprofessional and disrespectful towards the other nominees.
>>
>>80779563

The Academy has fairly little regard for animation as a medium and generally just throws a vote for whatever Disney put out, if they cast a vote in that category at all.
>>
>>80781371
No one who matters cares
>>
>>80779726
>I thought Frozen was amazing, and my personal favoorite was Despicable Me 2, but I didn't see all of the nominees, so I didn't vote.
based as fuck though. If only only everybody had that discipline.
>>
>>80779563
I'm not so shocked about Frozen but it's an absolute travesty that goddamn Big Hero 6 won the oscar instead of Princess Kaguya or Song of the Sea.
>>
>>80779563
>the Miyazaki
>the

Anyway, Wind Rises was a beautifully animated film, but easily Miyazaki's weakest. I'm ok with Frozen winning 2014.

Big Hero 6 is the real shitstain, though. Especially compared to Kaguya.
>>
>>80781337
Song of the Sea and The Tale of the Princess Kaguya.

The voters dismissed them and decided to cast their ballot for generic Disney capeshit.
>>
>>80781732
My nyukka
>>
>>80781742
>Big Hero 6 is the real shitstain, though. Especially compared to Kaguya.

As controversial as Brave's win and Frozen's win was, the fact that Big Hero 6 beat (at least) three films that were more deserving PLUS the un-nominated Lego Movie is one of the biggest travesties in the history of the awards... and that's saying a lot.

Let's not forget this is the same academy that gave James L. Brooks 'Best Director' over Ingmar Fucking Bergman in 1983.
>>
>>80781455
Well it's good not to vote if you haven't seen the nominations, the situation is still ridiculous. These people are choosing what film will an award that could make a difference to the success of the studio and the careers of everyone involved in the film. Four out of seven judges shouldn't abstain because they couldn't put forth the time to watch all the nominations.
>>
>>80779726
reading stuff like this just breaks my heart, so many people work on animated movies, try to make them look as beautiful as possible, constantly trying to improve their animation technology, and those faggots literally can't sit their lazy ass for 90 minutes infront of some screen
>>
>>80781896
>the same academy
Literally; the majority of the Academy is senior citizens.
>>
>>80781909
Fucking this. It's one thing to have poor taste and think Frozen is miles better than all the other films. It's another to just not give a shit and not bother watching the movies to begin with. If you can't show any appreciation for film then why the fuck are you voting for the oscars?
>>
>>80779563
Frozen won because the Academy finally had to get around to giving Disney an Oscar.
>>
She's so perfect.
>>
>>80781742
But Big Hero 6, while not the best animated movie of the year, was at least a competently-made film.

Frozen and Brave winning are much bigger disgraces/
>>
>>80779563
I haven't seen The Wind Rises yet but Frozen was overrated, mediocre trash.
>>
>>80779726
>>80781988
Pretty sure I've seen far worse quotes than these. I prefer abstaintions over the guys that voted for whatever their grandkids happened to mention in passing a couple months ago.

Voting in categories should be restricted to experts in that particular field. Except Best Picture. And acting, because that's fucking easy.
>>
The Oscars don't matter, so who cares?
>>
File: 1458015086142-a.jpg (141 KB, 534x820) Image search: [Google]
1458015086142-a.jpg
141 KB, 534x820
>>80782231
>and acting, because that's fucking easy
>>
>>80779726
Imagine how much it would hurt to be involved in one of the nominees. To put so much work into a film and how excited you'd be to be when your work actually has a chance of winning an Oscar. And then you find out that the judges didn't even bother giving your work a chance because they didn't feel like spending a few hours watching it.

>>80782231
But the big point to take away is what happened as a whole. One person abstaining because they didn't see the contenders is passable. The literal majority of the judges abstaining is something that shouldn't happen.

But yeah, they should have different judges for different fields.
>>
>>80781999
The fact that they're old isn't the issue.

It's that the majority of them don't give a shit and will vote for something even if they haven't seen all of the nominees.

A voter last year dismissed SoTS and Kaguya as "obscure freakin' chinese fuckin shit" and voted for Big Hero 6. Said voter then went on to say he voted for Leviathan for Best Foreign Film, EVEN THOUGH HE DID NOT SEE A SINGLE NOMINEE IN THAT CATEGORY, because of the "Cool image of the giant skeleton."

I swear to Christ this actually happened.

Another voter picked HTTYD2 (the film I was rooting for both because I'm a massive fan and it would have been a great reward since the first film lost to Toy Story 3) because he was friends with the people that worked on it.

Another voter this year said they hated the Revenant so much that they went out of their way to vote against it in every category.

Then again, should we ever take what these assholes vote for seriously. Let's not forget this was the same academy that:

1.) Gave Best Picture to "Kramer v. Kramer" over "Apocalypse Now"
2.) Gave Best Score to The Social Network over How to Train Your Dragon (I don't care that most movie nerds like this one - to me this was an absolute travesty)
3.) Gave Best Score to 'Round Midnight' over 'The Mission' in 1987
4.) Gave Best Picture to 'Dances with Wolves' over 'Goodfellas'

etc.
etc.
>>
>>80782324
Big money, career making and breaking, industry trajectory shifting. It SHOULDN'T matter, but it sure as hell does.
>>
The Animation Category was just made to filter out cartoons major categories
>>
>>80782182
But Big Hero 6 bear arguably better competition.

LEGO Movie
HTTYD2
Song of the Sea
Tale of the Princess Kaguya

2014 was a GREAT year in animation, and if they were ever going to give a non-Disney-produced film an Oscar that would have been the best time to do so.

But no... they went with Disney, because clearly no other animated studio makes animation worthy of veneration to these people.

Fuck them.
>>
>>80782324
But they do. It's a prestigious award despite how absolutely bullshit the academy is. Winning an oscar is very good publicity for a film. It could open up new doors and opportunities for the careers of people involved in the film. I wish they were nothing more than an award but the reality is that they do affect the industry.
>>
>>80779563

people tend to vote for things they've actually seen
>>
>>80779907
Christ, somebody had the DVDs sent to them and got discouraged and gave up just because they were clumsy and dropped them? I wonder if he has toy blocks at home, because this is the attitude of a toddler.
>>
>>80782568
>be film person
>get free DVDs to watch of award-nominated movies
>most normal film buffs would kill for such a luxury
>you're response: lol fuck it! They keep falling out! What is this fuckin' chinese fuckin shit doing? Eh, think I'll hit up a strip club. (tosses DVDs into trash)

I'd be THRILLED to get free copies and screenings of films up for Oscars.
Motherfuckers don't know how lucky they are. Make me absolutely sick.
>>
How did Inside Out beat When Marnie Was There?
>>
>>80783019
If this thread is any indication, because one was Disney/Pixar and the other was Japanese
>>
>>80782917
Short films, not real films.
>>
>>80782447
>>2014 was a GREAT year in animation, and if they were ever going to give a non-Disney-produced film an Oscar that would have been the best time to do so.

You do know that a good deal of Oscars have gone to non-Disney films? The Animation award itself is barely over a decade old. It's like you people don't have any memory going back past 2013.
>>
>>80783110
Because we can't let the gooks win after pearl harbor. Let their industry finally die
>>
I'd imagine the fact that Disney/Pixar put it out helped them out.
>>
The Wing Rises and When Marnie Was There look like generic Ghibli movies with generic Ghibli shit.

Oh look it's kids and a lot of pretty landscape such a pretty movie yaay!

Frozen is generic too but at least it's not the same bullshit Ghibli has been putting out for the last decade. The fact that they keep nominating their crap instead of other good Japanese movies is proof that the system is shit.

> no Satoshi Kon movie was ever nominated
>>
>>80783139
The animation category has existed since 2001.

The Academy did a good job for the first few years, awarding a diverse array of films and studios: Shrek, Spirited Away, Finding Nemo, Incredibles, Wallace and Gromit, and Happy Feet.

Then came 2007. Since then, the 'Best Animated Feature' Oscar has only been given to a non-Disney (thus including Pixar) film, and that was in 2011 when Rango was released and there were no nominated Disney or Pixar films.

Nominations are not the issue for the most part, but for almost a decade the Best Animated Feature category has basically become the 'free Disney/Pixar award', and it gets tiring.

Though admittedly I won't be upset if Zootopia wins this year (hope it beats Finding Dory and Moana), I find it hard to believe voters will ever go for a non-Disney film again with the influx of films they are putting out.

I can see it now: How to Train Your Dragon 3 could be an excellent conclusion to the trilogy, but it will lose to either Toy Story 4 or Gigantic because they're owned by Disney, and voters blindly vote for whatever they make.

Also foreign animation always goes unrecognized, even though their best work destroys most American animation.
>>
>>80782568
As old as most academy members are retrieving something form the floor is a pretty big deal. Once it's gone past your knees its gone for good, or at least until the grandkids visit.
>>
>>80783528
This post is bait.

Generic Disney shit will always be a thousand times worse and more generic than "generic" Ghibli shit.

Even then The Wind Rises was actually fairly different from the usually stuff Miyazaki tackles
>>
>>80783745
>he thinks how to train your dragon could actually be better than toy story
>>
>>80783528
>Frozen is generic too but at least it's not the same bullshit Ghibli has been putting out for the last decade

kek. nice bait there anon.

Frozen is a flimsy-as-fuck story that is masked by humor and dumb musical numbers - you know, like most Disney-produced films (this include you Marvel).
>>
>>80779563
wait, is it still 2014?
>>
>>80783868
You're joking right?

Toy Story 4 is going to be the most pointless sequel of all time.

While Toy Story 3 was VASTLY overrated (rehash of TS2 masked by some good old fashioned emotional manipulation in the last twenty minutes that is ripped off straight from The Brave Little Toaster), it at least concluded the trilogy in a decent way. How they can justify a fourth film is baffling.

Toy Story 4 will obviously make $, but I find it hard to believe that it'll be anything more than a cash grab that will ride on the coats of its predecessors.
>>
>>80783891
>Frozen is a flimsy-as-fuck story that is masked by humor and dumb musical numbers - you know, like most Disney-produced films
There's so much truth there, it hurts.

It is ultimately a shallow movie with a thin plot, thin characterization, and a thin narrative.
>>
>>80779563
The academy members don't care about animation
>>
File: 1456578035615.gif (125 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
1456578035615.gif
125 KB, 500x281
>>80783868
Toy Story was good, but it didn't need a hundred sequels.
>>
>>80779563
Wind Rises is a shitty film about making the plane that attacked Pearl Harbor.
>>
>>80779563
Because the voters only saw Frozen.
Or only knew that a lot of people said Frozen was good.
>>
>>80779563
Frozen is iconic for modern animation and today's youth.
I've never heard of The Wind Rises.
>>
>>80783745
>Though admittedly I won't be upset if Zootopia wins this year
I've yet to see "Zootropolis" but it's probably my most hyped movie of the year.
And yet it's depressing to know when it does win, it won't be on it's own merits but just because it was the only film the voters could be bothered to see because Disney.
>>
>>80779563
>The Wind Rises is one of the Miyazaki's finest work.
Actually, it's not. Miyazaki should have retired earlier.
>>
>>80783019
But Inside Out definitely wasn't a mediocre movie though, I think it really deserved the award this time. The ideia was weird, but was done brilliantly. Too bad these awards will never be taken seriously.
>>
>>80785489
I just hope it doesn't lose to "Finding Dory" or "Moana".

If they're going to blindly give it to Disney anyway, it might as well be for one that deserves it.

Also I don't want to live in a world where Nick and Judy's film goes home empty-handed - reminds me that a film with Toothless has yet to win the award.

Oh well... here's hoping to 2018.
>>
>>80782568
>>80782917
I'm not in the Academy, but I joined MPEG a few months back. Got screeners for Carol and The Danish Girl, and I still haven't watched either.

I find it tough to watch movie movies by myself. TV/cartoons I don't give a shit, but movies are a special social theatrical communal thing to me.

Anyway keep crying non-union plebs
>>
>>80779563
I'm not voting for some chink shit that no one ever cares about.
>>
>>80779563
Forget that. How did Anomalisa lose to Inside Out?
>>
>>80786428
Voter literally said: "Anomolisa was unique, but Inside Out was 'special'."

Maybe I'm just a cynical bastard, but why do I feel like that "special" label comes from the fact that it is 'le emotional' Pixar movie.
>>
>>80786538
Sauce? I want to see the voter responses.
>>
>>80786651
Look up "Brutally Honest Oscar Ballot #3" on Hollywood Reporter from this year and scroll down to the 'Best Animated Feature' category.

I'd post the link, but I don't want to get banned.
Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.