[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: When did it become "hip" to hate on Family Guy?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 110
Thread images: 7
File: 140931288731.png (330 KB, 853x478) Image search: [Google]
140931288731.png
330 KB, 853x478
As bad as Family Guy is, it is still not the worst adult animated show on TV.

It's magnitudes above Brickleberry & Mr. Pickles. It's also better than the entirety of FX's animation block (YMMV with Archer). It's not as bad as Bordertown either. On an episode by episode basis it and South Park aren't that far apart in terms of quality for the last eight years.

It attracts more hate than some other shows due to its massive popularity and success despite it's lazy storytelling and rampant use of gimmicks.
>>
File: 1457530499087.jpg (98 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1457530499087.jpg
98 KB, 1280x720
>>80777085
>it and South Park aren't that far apart in terms of quality for the last eight years.
>>
It's only good to watch when you're too intoxicated to move.
>>
>>80777085
It's not as terrible as anyone makes it out to be here, but it's still not great and so long as there are better shows out there, why waste time on mediocrity?
>>
>>80777085
>It's magnitudes above Brickleberry & Mr. Pickles.

Barely. The animation and artstyle may be better, but that's not really saying much. The quality of the humor in all three is roughly the same. Oh sure, you can find a few decent gags in Family Guy every now and then, but it's rarely worth trudging through the other shitty ones each episode for a passable joke or punchline.

Fact of the matter is, FG is hated because it's not stagnating, but increasingly becoming more and more rotten. Nobody really minded that it became self-aware of its cutaway gags, but instead became too absorbed in its violence and belligerent characters. Before its cancellation, the characters had distinct personalities, and still did for a short time when the show made its unprecedented return to television.

However, they soon began to strip away what little distinctions the cast has until they all became one-note jokes. Lois is just bitchy and slutty. Stewie's gay and rarely does science shit. Peter is a psycho with pedophilic tendencies. And so on. Hell, Quagmire has barely been the sex-crazed horndog he once was, now just being an irritable cunt who shits on a dog that has yet to do nearly as many atrocities as he himself has.
>>
>When did it become "hip" to hate on Family Guy?
It's been hated ever since it was un-canceled. Such is the fate of something that becomes something else.
>>
File: 119wjdw.jpg (41 KB, 569x428) Image search: [Google]
119wjdw.jpg
41 KB, 569x428
>>80777085
People love to hate things that are popular, especially kids. /v/ taught me that. There's nothing a 14 year loves more than jumping on a band wagon and not liking something along with everyone else.

That said, Family Guy started out as a great show and slowly went to shit over time. Now, it's one of the worst shows on TV. I highly doubt your average 14 year old remember the first 3 seasons.
>>
>>80779273

It wasn't quite that immediate, at least not for as many people. Anyone that actually hated it the moment it was brought back likely didn't like it to begin with, which isn't quite the same thing as the hatred many people have now.
>>
>>80777085
I don't think I've laughed at an episode since 2007. American Dad and South Park have gotten more out of me even recently, despite their own seasonal rot. I don't hate Family Guy, but it's not even a fraction of how good it was a decade ago.
>>
Modern Family Guy is better than modern Simpsons.
I still like Family Guy, it hasnt changed too much since after the first four seasons. I enjoy every new episode and always laugh out loud at least once. But I find modern Simpsons completely unwatchable. I actively ignore new episodes and if I try them I rarely get halfway through them.
>>
>>80777085
Yes, but it's also far more successful than them, hence the reason it gets more hate.

>On an episode by episode basis it and South Park aren't that far apart in terms of quality for the last eight years.
HAHAHA. No.

And why the fuck are you constantly making posts like this OP? It's not that I think only one person here could possible like FG, but I keep seeing defenses worded just like this being posted and I can only assume it's been you on more than one occasion.
>>
>>80777085
Its pretty much just...there. its ok, better than most /tv/ but not worth making sure you don't miss an episode. Its just tired
>>
>>80780253

I wonder when he stopped even doing script writing. People always throw the blame on him, but it's been said he hasn't done any writing in ages.
>>
File: brainiac disgust.jpg (47 KB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
brainiac disgust.jpg
47 KB, 720x540
>>80777085

when it started getting really bad.
>>
>>80780321

That's probably when it stopped getting good. Dude has a punchable face and is a douche and should stay the fuck away from movies, but the nigga wrote Johnny Bravo.
>>
>>80780622

Then why not just quit? Sure, it'll "look bad" on his career record, but that's it. You can't be imprisoned for bailing on a fucking tv show
>>
File: 1322875223287.png (3 KB, 150x136) Image search: [Google]
1322875223287.png
3 KB, 150x136
>>80777085
>how dare you hate ashow that has been bad more than it was on air and even the show itself acknowledges how bad it is
>>
>>80780659

He's hardly that bad. The "prototype" of Family Guy he made for What-a-cartoon all those years ago was pretty great. Not to mention he was a true bro to the Phineas and Ferb makers when they used to work for him.
>>
>>80780676
>Then why not just quit?
Because it's easy money.
>>
>>80777085
I feel like it's one of those shows that everyone claims to hate, but that, based on how successful it is, everyone secretly watches and enjoys.
>>
>>80780728

The thing is this: ALL cartoonists probably love a good dick joke or toilet humor, but they still make stuff for kids. I think with proper limits, Seth could make a great G or PG rated cartoon. As long as he cuts out the edgy shit.
>>
>>80779330
>People love to hate things that are popular, especially kids. /v/ taught me that. There's nothing a 14 year loves more than jumping on a band wagon and not liking something along with everyone else
I can confirm this. As the shitty asshole I used to be when I was a teenager, I really loathed Ron pearlman for some reason. If I could go back, I'd smack myself in the face.
>>
>>80780733
>>80780895

Oh sure. Nobody has integrity or anything... Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuree.
>>
>>80780938
He's alright. SOA is lame as fuck
>>
>>80780976
SOA is pretty low-key, but Pearlman was the best thing about that show, most of the time. As a person though, He's great.
>>
>>80779455
>Modern Family Guy is better than modern Simpsons.

I find that hard to believe.

As bad as Zombie-Simpsons is, it's never unbearably bad. There's maybe a few episodes that are so cringe inducing you want to slap the people who wrote them, but nothing like Family Guy where several episodes are just painfully unfunny and "serious" in that "oh, but THIS is funny despite not following any of the things that make something funny!"
>>
>>80779330
>People love to hate things that are popular, especially kids. /v/ taught me that. There's nothing a 14 year loves more than jumping on a band wagon and not liking something along with everyone else.
Wrong. 2 years ago I worked as a camp counselor and when talking to them I learned all of the kids loved Family Guy. Even the little kids who shouldn't be watching Family Guy watch and enjoy the show.
>>
>>80777085
>Pre-cancellation
Meh show that didn't really know WTF it wanted to do. Nothing you could legit hate on, but nothing that would make you love it.

>Post-cancellation-2008/9
It was actually funny. Not well written jokes, but more or less just silly. I still laugh when I think of Stewie and Brian riding Lois' parents down the stairs. Back when nostalgia was something new and not the sign of a hack without any taste or talent.

>2010 and on
Just mean spirited in terms of story, characters, and jokes. Is edgy for the sake of controversy and decides to kill off a main character just for attention. AND THEN BRING HIM BACK.

I haven't kept up with FG since then and any time I see something on /co/ or whatnot, I'm reminded why I don't like it any more. But maybe 1 day I'll give the recent episodes a chance.
>>
>>80777085
It's never been hip to hate something that is utter garbage. That's just what it is, and both it and the knockoffs you mentioned deserve to be shamed and rejected.
>>
>>80780958
It's easy to say that, but can you honestly say you would throw away the truckloads of money FOX would drive to your doorstep for doing literally nothing? Integrity doesn't pay for a comfortable lifestyle.
>>
Jesus, /co/ really is just a bunch of faggot contrarians.
>>
>>80777085
Because /co/ loves to shit on things that are popular, in reality it's a show that uses crude humor to get a few cheap laughs and that's what it does, it serves it purpose. But co has to watch big boy cartoons for mature fedoras like them
>>
>>80780958
Oh ya, hiw dare Seth have a show that funds projects he cares about, how dare he make money, what a sellouttttt
>>
/co/ hates family guy because it's mean, /co/ is a sensitive place now. All in it's feelings and should probably be watching Steven Universe instead.
>>
OP just copied a post I made in that "amazing scenes in bad shows" thread like 3 days ago or whenever, telling time gets kind of hazy when you browse 4chan for days on end.
>>
>>80779273
>>80779357
Completely anecdotal, but as someone who thought the original DVDs were a revelation and helped my buddy set up rabbit years to watch the return I was instantly turned off and haven't really watched since.
>>
>>80781654

If the thing I worked on became tripe, yes I would throw it away. Hell, I'd try to kill it because I wouldn't want it to be remembered for the crap it became.
>>
>>80782184
Which is why you're alone and Seth McFarlane is a multi-millionaire. Milking all the success you can out of a show you don't care about to fund you passion projects is genius.
>>
>>80782280

Except most of his "passion projects" aren't all that great.
>>
>>80782627
He had the number one jazz album
>>
>>80777085
Season 5 when it became trash.
1-3 were good, and 4 showed why it was uncancelled, but in 5 they knew they weren't going to be cancelled again so they let the writing slip to shit.
>>
>>80782691

Not like he would need a tv show if he could be a musician all the time
>>
It tried combining drama and shock humor and failed. Prime example the episode where Quagmire's sister is a victim of domestic violence. they play the domestic violence serious and then add humor by random cutaways and jokes. The Thanksgiving episode where Joe's son returns is another example. They have a serious conversation about desertion and what it means to be a hero and the humor is just Peter interrupting with random sentences for shock humor.

It also has gotten a lot more violent and mean spirited. Though plenty of people died or got hurt in the early episodes the jokes in the current turned it up to the point it becomes unfunny.

Finally, the characters lost the traits that made them likeable and were reduced to just a few of their traits that are now exaggerated. Joe went from a handicapped but capable cop to a sad sack who tries to commit suicide a lot and who fails at everything.
>>
>>80777085
>It's also better than the entirety of FX's animation block
It's not better than Major Lazor.
It's not better than Axe Cop.
It's not better than Stone Quackers.
>>
>>80783275
>the episode where Quagmire's sister is a victim of domestic violence

Made all the worse by the literal fact they played up her abuse as a contrived joke way back in the episode when Brian learned Quagmire hated him.
>>
Ever hear of something called counter-culture? It has always been hip to hate whatever is popular.
>>
American Dad is slowly starting to turn into Family Guy on TBS.
>>
>>80783473
>slowly
it happened pretty fast to be honest
jokes have no setup and its just lol random
>>
>>80783473

that's really depressing to me. American Dad in it's prime (seasons 4-6) was better than Family Guy ever was. it's one of my favorite cartoons ever.
>>
>>80783689

After going to TBS, yea. But before, it was a slower process. There were signs of the show losing it's charming wit, but now it's just blatant. According to what I heard, they traded writers or some such with FG. And it's likely TBS wanted the show to be more like FG because of "Muh ratings"
>>
>>80777085
When it got bad. It's not exactly surprising that people don't like something that isn't good.
>>
>>80779229

I second that
>>
>>80777085

Hip? It always has been utter shit. Just shows how retarded millions of idiots are who watch it.

But that's the same with BBT or Twilight. Morons just want their own shows.
>>
>>80783689
I don't know if "I understand that reference" humor is better or worse than "lolsorandum" humor.
>>
>>80782770
Yeah, then in seasons 6-8 it got super political for some reason and had a lot of conservative wanking episodes along with plots about Brian's atheism

and now it's Ow the Edge for every episode
>>
>>80777085
people don't hate family guy that much. Seth McFarland has just gotten annoying because he recreates family guy every three years
> Cleveland show
> American dad
> border town
>>
>>80788512

Not nearly as much as people say, though. It was there, but not every episode.
>>
>>80777085
>YMMV
>>
File: but.png (166 KB, 601x476) Image search: [Google]
but.png
166 KB, 601x476
I got to admit.

I never like the Simpson. (I like futurama for some reason), Anyway Simpson seem too weird for me and the characters are boring as hell.

I always think people like the Simpson because it was edgy and it was only "mature" cartoon show.
>>
>>80781675
>>80781947
Seth please
>>
>>80790113
What's wrong with you?

Seasons 2-8 are ambrosia
>>
>>80777085
Family Guy has always had people hating on it. Even in the original run, it wasn't uncommon to see people claim its just a shitty ripoff of Simpsons.

I'm of the opinion that it was good-great in season 1-3, decent-good in 4-6, hit and miss in 7-8. And mostly terrible from 9 onwards.

Yes, but its also more well known than either of those. It should be no surprise you hear more hate towards Family Guy

>On an episode by episode basis it and South Park aren't that far apart in terms of quality for the last eight years.
Yeah, no. Modern Family Guy rarely makes me laugh, even in its better episodes. Modern South Park regularly makes me laugh, even in its weaker episodes.
>>
>>80777085
finally, i agree with this completely.

family guy isn't good by any means its just fucking mediocre and not really my sense of humor.

but i bet if i looked hard enough I would find something in family guy that makes me breathe a little bit harder out my nose.
>>
>>80777085

I love current Family Guy.

It's just cool to hate on it because the Internet, specifically 4chan, loves to hate everything.
>>
>>80792319

People do have legit reasons to hate it
>>
>>80793091
I don't know why 4chan hates this show when it shares our humor.
>>
>>80794066
our humor is shit
>>
>>80777085
More successful but there was also a shift in humour after it came back from cancellation. You have to remember that it had a big cult audience before cancellation, so it changing the humour after the cult audience basically brought it back probably felt like a bit of a kick in the face.

That being said, I think that modern Family Guy occasionally does have good gags. Just not enough to justify watching the show, sadly.

This one always gets me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hmlPtRu1SQ

>>80779330
This guy explains it pretty succinctly
>>80781315
>Wrong. 2 years ago I worked as a camp counselor and when talking to them I learned all of the kids loved Family Guy. Even the little kids who shouldn't be watching Family Guy watch and enjoy the show.
>Even the little kids who shouldn't be watching Family Guy watch and enjoy the show.

And that's a big part of it; a lot of the 14 year olds who said they hate it were probably little kids when they watched it. There's nothing that teens around that age love more than hating the stuff they liked as kids, to show that they've moved on and matured.
>>
>>80777085
>better than archer
Fuck off? That is one of the shittiest opinions I have ever heard
Family guy isnt terrible but it is leagues below archer or south park at its best
>>
>>80780958
It's not like they'd cancel the show if he walked, though.
>>
>>80794066

Not every is into shock humor, especially all the time
>>
>>80794388

True, though it probably would take a fair hit. Simpsons is apparently losing Mr. Burns' VA, so it'll be interesting to see how much difference that makes.
>>
>>80783275
>It also has gotten a lot more violent and mean spirited.

Honestly, this is the only time where I'll actually use the 'mean-spirited' term.

I don't think modern Spongebob is 'mean spirited'. Fucking unpleasant and disgusting, yeah, but these are fictional characters, it's just sympathy pains.

I don't know who the modern Family Guy writers are, but they've got some severe chips on their shoulders. A lot of the jokes they have are just so fucking spiteful. The entire show has a really negative, angry energy to it.
>>
>>80794505
Because people like asshole characters.
>>
>>80794066
Half of what makes our humor funny is execution. Family Guy is awful at executing actually funny jokes
>>
>>80794555

Yea, when they're doing funny things. Watching one asshole crush the head of another really isn't all that funny.
>>
>>80777085
When South Park tore it to shreds.
Family Guy even pokes fun at their formula themselves now.
>>
>>80795769

Shame that they've kind of run the self-awareness thing into the ground since. Almost any time they do it, it's done so painfully obvious like they think the audience isn't "getting it"
>>
>>80795769
Senpai Guy always had self-referential humor since they were revived in 2005.
>>
>>80777085
Why do you guys hate on dog shit?
It's not as bad as rat shit or cow shit.
>>
>>80780874
johnny bravo
>>
>>80799190

He was just a writer for that, though, not the main creator. Still, it's sad to see he went from great stuff like that to a show that seems to wallow in self-loathing.
>>
I hate it because how it has influenced teens to become even shittier people than they were before.
>>
>>80777085

When it returned to the air. It already had its detractors, Simpsons fans who hated it for aping what they considered to be their show;s style, as well as others found it to be low quality, either in its visual and animation style, it's writing, or for moral or taste reasons.

>>80779330
>People love to hate things that are popular

This is true, though misleading. It implies that Family Guy is still popular. Don't get me wrong, it's still one of Fox's top rated shows, and it's a merchandise machine, but much like The Simpsons before it, it's just sort of there.

It's no longer the cultural phenomena it once was back in 2005-2006. Consider this: It's been 11 years since it returned to television. 10 years since South Park did their famous "Cartoon Wars" episodes that railed against the show. 7 years since The Cleveland Show debuted, and 3 years since it ended.

People are no longer outraged at Family Guy. They see Stewie drinking Brian's semen, or Peter decapitating toddlers and they aren't shocked, they go "Oh yeah, that's Family Guy."

This goes for the show on a whole. What once was considered fresh - chicken fights, cutaways, poor-taste shock humor, and gratuitous violence - is now stale and predictable. Even the haters longer care to rage against it, instead shrugging it off and shaking their head.

The last time anyone cared about Family Guy was when the pulled the "Brian is dead!" rating stunt. And even then, interest only lasted for a week.
>>
>>80800018

>that guy who got the Brian tattoo

We ever find out how the guy reacted when Brian was brought back? Faggot must have had egg all over his face for thinking that tat was a good idea.
>>
>>80800071
to be fair, people who get cartoon animal tattoo's don't tend to be the brightest sort in the first place
>>
Didn't people that used to work on Family Guy go on to make shit like Brickleberry?
>>
I don't remember the last time I watched an episode. But from what I remember it just tried to bring all it's humor from "A cartoon character used profanity and/or did something violent. Isn't that whacky since cartoon characters normally don't do that and are for kids?"
>>
>>80800141

Eh, some could work. I bet with the right design, a Scooby Doo tat could look pretty stellar. Or hell, something with Hobbes.

But man, did that Brian tattoo look terrible, considering literally anyone with an average IQ knew he wasn't going to stay dead.
>>
>>80800208

Wouldn't surprise me.

Of course, it's amazing how that the guys behind Phineas and Ferb were both on FG during the pre-cancellation seasons, and wrote some of the more memorable episodes like the one when the family went into hiding in the south where Chris met the reverse-trap kid.
>>
>>80799759
Seth kind of sounds like Lucas. Back when they were making Johnny Bravo/Star Wars they did not have full creative control. But now that they have no one that can tell them no they make shit. Even if Seth left Family Guy I doubt it'd get any better, just like with Star Wars.
>>
File: trophy.png (248 KB, 512x384) Image search: [Google]
trophy.png
248 KB, 512x384
What is the best episode of Family Guy, and why is it pic related?
>>
>>80777085
You don't need to be "hip" to hate things. You can hate things with reason. Only people who can't form their own opinions but desire social acceptance want to be "hip"
>>
>>80800421
>you don't need to hate things to be "hip"

I fugged that one up
>>
>>80800276
It's not really that surprising. Phineas and Ferb uses lots of self-aware humour and random intercuts.

Family Guy just got lazy and went for shock and offensive jokes.
>>
When Seth's hate boner for Republicans got in the way of comedy.
>>
>>80794066
>our
>>
>>80777085
it's a show that should of ended over a decade ago and gets worse and worse every season. What's not to hate?

Even the first few post-cancellation episode haven't aged well. First three seasons are still pretty good. If it ended there it would of been a pretty good yet lowbrow comedy.
>>
>>80777085
Does it matter? Futurama shits on all of those shows combined.
>>
It's definitely better than modern day Simpsons, but I don't watch it frequently. I caught that episode about Stewie's nightmare problem about a week ago, I thought it was decent. Got a few laughs out of me.
>>
i'd rather watch family guy than big bang theory (or any chuck lorre sitcom for that matter)

so i guess i don't think it's the absolute worst thing on tv
>>
>>80801010
for a second I thought you said chuck jones and I was about to get super pissed
>>
>>80783962
>AD is now bad
Fuck.
>>
It was good at first, but then quickly devolved into first, "Here is a pop culture reference, and YOU know what it is," and then, "This is funny because cartoon characters aren't supposed to be violent, swear, and have sex," sometimes forgetting to include actual jokes. I mean, it's not like it's NEVER funny or entertaining, it's just been pretty weak after the first few years.
>>
>>80800256
>But man, did that Brian tattoo look terrible, considering literally anyone with an average IQ knew he wasn't going to stay dead.
I actually knew a guy who wrote a lengthy Facebook post after Brian died saying 'RIP to the best dog in television ever'.

The sad thing is I'm a Britbong, so the entire death and return arc had played out in America already.
>>
> implying Familolrandumb Guy doesn't deserve the hate it gets

The vast majority of the cutaway "jokes" aren't even jokes, they're either straight reenactments or just references ("HEY REMEMBER HOW THIS IS/USED TO BE A THING?!?!?!?!?!?")

Barring the constant references to better entertainment (read: almost everything,) it's not well written or interesting or funny. It tries to be "edgy' and fails, instead being either offensive or just immature and stupid.
>>
>>80782892

Jazz musicians, even succesful ones, aren't well known for making money.
>>
>>80779330
>That said, Family Guy started out as a great show

It started off as a thoroughly mediocre Simpsons knockoff. Personally, I wouldn't call that "great."
>>
>>80777085
>Family Guy better than Archer
Bruh...
>>
>>80777085
About the time Cleveland Show started. I know that's when I gave up on it. What was it, season 7?
Thread replies: 110
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.