[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is it about Dreamworks movies that make them so sterile
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 102
Thread images: 10
File: tapetus_pl.php.jpg (601 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
tapetus_pl.php.jpg
601 KB, 1600x1200
What is it about Dreamworks movies that make them so sterile and forgettable?
>>
Bait
>>
>>80772868
HTTYD is literally the best animated movie franchise
>>
>>80773108
most overrated definitly
>>
>>80773108
>HTTYD is literally the best animated movie franchise
I can't help but agree with it
Even though the second movie didn't stand up to the original, like how Kung Fu Panda's sequel did, the animated series is GOAT
>>
File: 1457916073663.png (147 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
1457916073663.png
147 KB, 600x800
dreamworks movies lack heart and soul.
its just a by the numbers product.
>>
I liked Kung Fu Panda and HTTYD. Shrek poisoned itself by drinking too deep from the sequel mill, and everything to the left is hot garbage.
>>
>>80773108
Hated the ending to the first one

>Dragons are bad and we shouldn't just annihilate creatures that are just trying to hunt / defend themselves
>Except that giant bitch that's somehow mind-controlling / enslaving every single other subspecies

What a cheap and lazy way of writing your way out of a complex moral problem. Hiccup didn't need to prove his values to his Father and tribe as he got to show off how good he was at murdering the fuck out of something anyway...

fuck that movie
>>
They focus too much on pop culture, not story.

Pixar holds up most of the time because they mainly stick to story.
>>
>>80773177

This pretty much sums up my feelings as well.
>>
>>80773187
Think about the alternatives, would a "dragons dindu nuffin" ending really be any better? At least creating a big bad guy to be the ultimate reason behind the dragons behaving like that justified their actions without necessarily making them look weak, it was more like a war between two factions that was being orchestrated by a secret third element
>>
>>80773108
HTTYD 2 is nowhere near as good as 1
>>
>>80772868
I wish Kung Fu Panda used the Furious Five more. Such pointless characters - especially the tiger - a complete non-entity.

Good movies otherwise though,
>>
>>80773177
>I liked Kung Fu Panda and HTTYD. Shrek poisoned itself by drinking too deep from the sequel mill, and everything to the left is hot garbage.
Agreed, except that Megamind is also great
>>
>>80773239
My problem was that nothing in the film rang-true for me.

I am really invested in stories about how people live / interact with / or treat nature and animals.

I would have liked a story that was more complex... I don't want the dragons to be totally 'innocent'. They shouldn't be. They're mother fucking dragons. They should be dangerous and a liability to the villages safety.

But at the same time - putting qualities of 'good' and 'evil' onto these beasts seemed lazy as well. Basically, we're taught that it's okay to have no respect for another animal or its behaviour as long as it's not seen as a threat.

There's no moral question as to how these characters should interact with the 'wilderness' around them. If its "good" and something that won't hurt them then fine - but if its dangerous then we can celebrate its obliteration without giving a shit.

I have a point I'm sure but I'm not sure I'm making it very well.
>>
>>80773309
Basically: I would have liked the moral of the film to have had a stronger presence of 'empathising (or at least respecting) with the dangerous Other' - which is what the entire narrative was about

And also - for Hiccup's moment of truth to have revolved around protecting / rather than destroying something - it feels backwards for the Chief to realize that his son is brave through an act of physical aggression.

Would have been nice for him to realize that his son could be brave without being adept at combat (again, surely the entire point of the film)
>>
>>80773309
>I don't want the dragons to be totally 'innocent'. They shouldn't be
They weren't, they were just wild animals that could be tamed
The alpha was was evil and if you watch the show most of the dragons are just trying to live their life and don't give a fuck about who gets in their way.
In the movie, the dragons are still dangerous without the presence of the alpha, such as the dragons used for training, especially since they were just captives. But they became docile after they were tamed
>>
>>80773368
>for Hiccup's moment of truth to have revolved around protecting
But it did
He protected all of the dragons and all of the villagers
Just because he had to use a form of violence doesn't mean that the whole point of the scene was for Stoick to realize that his son could be physically violent
You just missed the point completely, it was about Hiccup working together with his friends and taming dragons, showing that hiccup could be a capable enough leader to ride an army of dragons
>>
File: 1443297659442.jpg (11 KB, 200x300) Image search: [Google]
1443297659442.jpg
11 KB, 200x300
Kung Fu Panda is a better franchise than HTTYD, even if the third KFP is mostly crap
>>
>>80773456
The Dragons show is better than the KFP show
I think that balances the Dragons sequel movie out
>>
>>80773108
Well as a franchise maybe, but as a single movie there is a fuck ton of other animated movies much better than that one
>>
>>80773375
Yeah, I do get that. Sorry, I'm not arguing very well.

I just don't get the need for the Alpha. I think I just thought it was a weird misstep to have the film conclude with Hiccup kicking the shit out of a dragon.

We have an entire narrative based around understanding things that seem threatening and dangerous... It seems that the moral of the story was that there are some things so 'wicked' in nature that they have to be destroyed... which seemed to be the Chief's point all along (and one that I don't agree with it must be said).

I'm all for protecting the village but I think most narratives would centre on how even if such natural savagery is amoral and that destroying life should still be solemn

I dunno, i'm rambling
>>
Not sure if this is bait, but if it isn't and If anybody out there actually believes this FUCK YOU!!!!.

Why do people jdge animated movies by thier brand, there are dreamworks movies that are better than pixar and visa-versa (its because of diseny)

>>80773108
this

>>80773246
I know its much better

>>80773209
not anymore
>>
>>80772868
I still remember Shrek and Shrek 2. The penguins, Mort and King Julien were definitely memorable. KFP to some extent, but yeah the rest is kind of forgettable.
>>
>>80773536
And HTTYD1, to add. HTTYD2 was fucking beautiful but goddamn the story was forgettable/terrible.
>>
>>80773412
I was waiting for the scene where Stoick realized that it took bravery for Hiccup to protect something and stand against the crowd and I don't feel like it ever came...

Maybe that was addressed more clearly and I'm not remembering it right - but it really seemed to me like Hiccup's value was only considered as long as he was fighting on the 'right' side

I'm just saying that I think Hiccup's natural enemy in that film were the men who were trapped in a system of violence because they didn't know how else to behave...

I feel that the massive evil dragon reduces that narrative - and it's one that i enjoyed watching.
>>
>>80773503
>I just don't get the need for the Alpha
If the alpha didn't exist, there would be no need for the dragons to go out as far as Berk just for food, thus no conflict
The dragons aren't evil, they are just animals who are trying to survive
If the dragons could just bring fish to the alpha, then that one gronkle probably would have survived
I still feel like you didn't understand the movie
It's not about beating up the evil dragon queen, it's about two paths of nature, one human one dragon, conflicting and colliding. That is, until the hero of the story says that they don't have to fight if there is no reason for the dragons to attack.
It's like how if wasps start building on your house, you're going to either get stung or have to kill a lot of wasps
But if you secure your house, the wasps have to build somewhere else thus no conflict.
It's not that natural savagery is amoral, we're talking about vikings here so it's not as if violence isn't already a huge part of the culture
And they still treat destroying life as solemn, like how Hiccup can't bring himself to destroy another life just because it's trying to survive but does kill the dragon queen because it's dangerous to both humans and dragons
>>
Well it's hard to forget shit like Frozen if there is constantly some waifu-faggotry thread up
>>
HTTYD is amazing, Shrek and Shrek 2 are great too.

To bad we can't even mention Shrek without memes ruining the discusion, it is all ogre for the non ironic fandom
>>
>>80773512
>Why do people jdge animated movies by thier brand
The Dreamworks brand is not very strong

The movies people agree on as being good are the two 2D animated movies they did and the KFP/HTTYD franchises and maybe Shrek 1. After that, everybody just thinks of them as the studio that makes a bunch of sequels

Better than Blue Sky though
>>
>>80773547
your an asshole, i can understand if somebody dosen't like it, but it is noway forgettable,

How do you forget the mother, stoick the giant fucking alpha battle
>>
>>80772868
Mostly because DreamWorks is as corporate as it can get. Plus the fact that DreamWorks might be run by misanthropes doesn't help things either.

You're right to think this, anon. Ignore the HTTYD and KFP shills. Though to be fair, HTTYD is one of DreamWork's better movies.
>>
>>80773592
I remember the visuals, the mother, the death of the dad and the big dragon. I don't remember the rest of the story much, especially in the middle part with the other humans. The story just felt really weak to me while I was watching it and maybe that's why I couldn't remember it. Even the introduction of the mother felt off.
>>
>>80773556
You probably didn't realize it came because there was no definitive moment in between Hiccup's fight and the end of the movie where Stoick puts his hand on Hiccup's shoulder and says "I now realize it takes a kind of bravery that I don't have to protect something and stand against the crowd"
But basically, you can see that Stoick accepts that his son is the brave leader he had always hoped when he tries to help Hiccup out by doing what he can to slow down the dragon
There's also a couple of wistful glances here and there towards the end, but honestly it's more nuanced which makes it a great movie
You really don't need the super macho buff character leader to break down and explain his feelings, all he needed to say was "SON, I'm proud" but in a scottish accent
>>
>>80773559
Thanks for the reply anon. I still don't see it that way but I appreciate the thoughtful response.

I'll give the film another go sometime and try and be fairminded when I do. Maybe I was butthurt because it didn't develop the way I thought it would.

Maybe I just would have liked a smaller acknowledgement that killing the Queen kind of sucked because she was a powerful force of nature that was trying to exist in the way she could (maybe I'm just being a colossal faggot about it all)
>>
>>80773592
I have to agree with him
The mother showing up was a big surprise, but it would have been nice if she didn't just say "oh my, I'm your mum, hello" and if the dad's death had more impact than him just taking a bullet
>>
>>80773588
But why do people judge studios by their brand in the first place?, that would be like saying, Im massive Warner brother fan, I love the matrix, but fuck sony, they made the smurfs
>>
>>80773638
>Maybe I just would have liked a smaller acknowledgement that killing the Queen kind of sucked because she was a powerful force of nature that was trying to exist in the way she could
That's a more than fair point, but I guess that's because they never portrayed the dragons to feel anything more than fear, so that point would have been glossed over had they even attempted to write it in
>>
>>80773647
They showed the mother in the trailers too, if I recall. I think I read this wasn't the intention of the director but the marketing people had their way. It's like spoiling who Darth Vader is.
>>
>>80773626
thats the focus of the story, that would be like saying, fuck die hards such a forgettable film all I remember is bruce willis and that fucking bulding, why couldn't we have more of the airport.
>>
>Completely ignoring eye candy like the Croods or Rise of the Guardians
fucking plebs all around
>>
>>80773628
Again, the wistful looks seem to come when Hiccup is about to face his death and do something actiony... I can't remember one such moment (no matter how subtle) where Stoick acknowledges the value of Hiccup standing up for himself (which he has always treated as him being too effiminate)...

You ma be >>80773559 this anon too. In which case, thanks for discussing it. I'm gonna give it another chance sometime.
>>
>>80773676
>focus of the story
Most of what I remember and listed are like towards the end of the movie. Prior to that and a big chunk of the movie, it's a forgettable and terrible mess.
>>
>>80773656
Typically because animation studios in particular staff certain writers and have the same overall art style
So if a movie looks a certain way and is marketed a certain way and has specific plotlines, then it's probably because the people in charge of all that at Dreamworks have a certain flavor that they use
It doesn't really mean the same thing for non-animation studios
>>
>>80773647
the moms introduction was followed by a montage and then a 'I'm sorry I left you' It wasn't just 'oh my, i'm your mum, hello'

when stoick died, hiccup shouted at toothless, thats a pretty big deal
>>
>>80773741
yes but not all a studios movies are the same
>>
>>80773787
In the case of dreamworks
A lot of the movies are the same
>>
>>80773741
'my god, jaws was a terrible mess, I couldn't remember a scene that wasn't on a beach or near a boat.'
>>
>>80773810
but not ALL, id say 60% are

(also they are a lot more diverse than any other studio)
>>
Characters aren't waifu-material.
>>
>>80773840
>60% are
It's definitely more like 80%
>>
>>80772868
I'd say Dreamworks animated features are basically better Disney Direct-to-Video movies with a larger budget.
>>
>>80773741
whoops, I meant to post this >>80773819
to this guy
>>80773719
>>
>>80773882
The percentage dosen't matter, Not All of them

(unless its 100%)
>>
File: 1457789952519.jpg (39 KB, 500x294) Image search: [Google]
1457789952519.jpg
39 KB, 500x294
>>80772868

>first two Shrek
>Kung fu Panda
>Megamind
>Rise of the Guardians
>sterile and forgettable

Go fuck yourself, bait guy
>>
>>80773904
I haven't seen The Lion King for 10 or 15 years, but I can remember it more than HTTYD2. The latter was a mess of a movie, which hurts a bit because there was potential and the visuals were great.
>>
Shrek is iconic

Dont talk like recent disney movies havent ripped off elements from shrek
>>
>>80773988

can you remember what was going on in jaws when there was no attack or boat?
>>
>httyd movies
>Shrek 2
>Madagascar 3
>Megamind
>Kung fu panda movies

Your bait is bad.
>>
>>80773609
>enjoying something means you're a "shill"

(You)
>>
>>80774160
Puss in boots also

Thats how you make a spinoff
>>
>>80773108
>One great movie
>One average sequel

Mathematically speaking Toy Story is a better franchise than that.
>>
Rise Of The Guardians was really beautiful, but I don't know. Something's just missing, I didn't enjoy it as much as everyone else. The character wasn't bad, the concept was good, but the humour and the storyline are just mediocre. Shame that overall it wasn't executed very well to become a classic just like HTTYD
>>
File: somebody once told me.webm (3 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
somebody once told me.webm
3 MB, 1920x1080
>>80772868
Shrek 1 and 2 are still one of my favorite animated movies ever
>>
Executives have way to much control over the movies
>>
>>80773108
>>80773141
>>80773187
>>80773239
has anyone read the books it was "based" on tho
>>
>>80773982
Rise of the Guardians sucked
>>
Because the humor is shit most of times and make the character annoying, the worst exemple is probably Madagascar.
>>
>>80774523
I think William Joyce might have something to do with that. He was co-directing the movie at the time and his kid who he wrote the book and movie for at the time died of a brain tumour.
>>
I won't lie, I enjoyed Madagascar 3, Afro Circus be damned. And the Penguins movie was also entertaining.
>>
>>80772868
In what world is Kung Fu Panda 2 sterile. I completely agree everything else is pretty mediocre but that film completely floored me with how much I liked it.
>>
The production value is just low by comparison. Nothing Dreamworks has ever made compares to just Elsa's ice castle alone.
>>
>>80774879
Yeah they were actually terrible IMHO. I read them as a kid and even then I thought they were kind of lazy. A rare example where the adaptation far exceeds the source material.
>>
File: Tigress Trump.jpg (132 KB, 353x492) Image search: [Google]
Tigress Trump.jpg
132 KB, 353x492
>>80773248

Oh for sure, it's just ridiculous how hard they get put aside and mostly serve to show how badass the vilain is. Especially with the actors they bothered to hire for only 3 lines... Yet they can have some fun dialogue, especially when Crane is involved.

I'd be down for a spin-off with these guys.
>>
>>80772868
SOOOOOMEBOODY get this hothead out of here. OP isn't the sharpest tool in the shed.
>>
Prince of Egypt?
>>
bamp
>>
Their intent is for every movie to become a huge franchise that makes money, so they often try to appeal to the lowest common denominator.
Even if the movie in question happens to be a bit deeper than that, that's not going to show in any of the advertising.
>>
There are worse animation companies. And disney's recent movies themselves are partially influenced by Shrek

Its kinda rich how people shit on DW for making cringy pop culuture references but movies like BH6, wreck it ralph and zootopia get free passes

Hmmmmmmmm
>>
>>80772868
DreamWorks usually relies on gimmicks such as celebrity casting and pop culture references. Pixar on the other hand makes movies that are legitimate art forms heavily focusing on story and casting actors based on talent regardless of celebrity status for the most part.
>>
>>80779468
>DreamWorks usually relies on gimmicks such as celebrity casting and pop culture references.
M8 this isn't 2005 anymore, you're thinking of Blue Sky.
>>
>>80778431
>they often try to appeal to the lowest common denominator
nah that was only madagascar
>>
>>80773187
The big one was evil, the rest were not. Nothing inconsistent there.

>Hiccup didn't need to prove his values to his Father and tribe as he got to show off how good he was at murdering the fuck out of something anyway...
He defeated it using his friendship with dragons, and the knowledge he gained from studying them instead of killing them.
>>
>>80780736
chitty chitty chat chat
>>
>>80772868
Dance numbers at the end of most movies.
>>
File: 1443850437769.png (4 KB, 302x237) Image search: [Google]
1443850437769.png
4 KB, 302x237
Kung Fu Panda 2 is the best Dreamworks movie they've ever produced.
>>
>>80773177
I like the Madagascar series, and Mr. Peabody and Sherman was great.
>>
File: 145791448360.jpg (14 KB, 447x384) Image search: [Google]
145791448360.jpg
14 KB, 447x384
Can we all agree that:
>KFP2
>HTTYD2
>Shrek
Are the best Dreamwoks movies ever?
>>
>>80781336
Shrek 2 is great too.
>>
>>80781188
>>80781336
>Everyone forgets about Prince of Egypt
2D really is dead.
>>
>>80773108
Lol no.
>>
>>80774879
They’re shit.
>>
File: 1431977230652.jpg (45 KB, 800x478) Image search: [Google]
1431977230652.jpg
45 KB, 800x478
>>80781416
God dammit, it's been so long I forgot about that masterpiece already
>>
>>80781336
Shrek 2 is marginally better than the first.
>>
>>80778647
>And disney's recent movies themselves are partially influenced by Shrek
Explain how?
>>
>>80772868

Although they try to step away from it most of their movies are still celebrity vehicles cashing in on quick topical humor.

Not really alot of depth.
>>
>>80776505

well, better late than never.
>>
File: yaaaaaaaaaaay.jpg (116 KB, 636x954) Image search: [Google]
yaaaaaaaaaaay.jpg
116 KB, 636x954
>>80781336
I also forgot to mention Spirit
>>
>>80782085
examples?
>>
>>80781336
Replace Shrek with Shrek 2 or Prince of Egypt and we have a deal.
>>
>>80779944
this, people still attribute that to dreamworks when they have proven that they can make great films.
>>
>>80779468
Are you implying that all dreamworks movies are shark tale and bee movie?
Thread replies: 102
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.