[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Startup
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2
Hello /co/,
I was thinking about starting a comic book with my friends and I was wondering if we should start working on the comic right away or begin with making our name. Please give some insight.
>>
>>80767650
Do you have a script? Concept art? A premise?
>>
>>80767688
no
>>
>>80767710
Well then start with that.
>>
>>80767710
Well I didn't post that
>>
>>80767650
making your name? do you mean a title to the book or like 'making a name for yourself'?

actually doesnt matter either way just start making the book. Get a premise going, an idea. Flesh it out, make the book.
>>
>>80767688
We don't have that yet and I realise that all those things are important I had the idea that we should all think of a name we can unite and work under, or is that a dumb idea?
>>
>>80767873
OH like Brangelina or some shit.

Nah nobody gives a fuck about that just work on the comic.
>>
>>80767873
do you have anyone that can do art or are you all just writers?
>>
>>80767898
OK. Thanks
>>80767907
We write and draw at a decent quality on paper but take a step back on computer. One of us is a huge comic nerd, another is a drama geek, the third is into cartoons and anime and I read a lot so that we all bring a little bit to the table
>>
>>80768018
>a huge comic nerd
Can you explain what you mean by this?
>>
>>80768018
Why dont you try making a webcomic first to let your art/writing mature a bit.

Creating a retail-quality comic book is pretty difficult, even if you have a good idea to start from.
>>
>>80768170
This. It's good practice for everything you need for a comic. Art, writing, keeping a schedule, having to deal with internet criticism.
>>
This is a weird thread

I also want to write comics, probably marvel but first I plan to pitch to image but first I plan to write a teen book series.
Right now I'm a NEET, but soon...

Anyway, any books I should look into on how to write comics/scripting? I bet OP could use these as well.
>>
>>80768114
He has a good amount of merchandise and a shelve of comic books. I need an "expert" on hand.
>>80768170
I'll keep that in mind. Any other tips? Keep in mind this is a team effort
>>
>>80768236
I've seen a "how to draw comic book characters" by Stan Lee at most local librarys and the Internet has an abundance of info
>>
>>80768236

Robert McKee - Story. Substance, Structure, Style and The Principles of Screenwriting

and

Joseph Campbell - The Power of Myth (this is basically a deconstruction of fiction stories that permeate our culture)
>>
>>80768258
>He has a good amount of merchandise
Red flag.

Seriously though, satisfy my autism.

Comics from all over the world? Comics from dozens of publishers? Comics in dozens of genres? Or mostly just Marvel and DC?
>>
Creating a name might mean connections in the industry as well as popularity, I still remember meeting the Arsenic Lullabies guys in the artist alley at the Toronto Comic Con so that's one way to get noticed, the other is Facebook (social networking), but for me personally its podcasting.
>>
>>80768326
Alright alright, I'll keep him on a short leash during this endeavor. His collection is majorly Marvel and DC but please explain why merchandise is a red flag
>>
>>80768258
>Any other tips?

If you are writer, try writing something every day

If you are an artists, try drawing something every day

If you are both or for some reason have to do both even if one of them aint your forte, still practice daily but alternate them
>>
>>80768386
Serious answer: It's money that should have been spent on comics.

But really though, don't call your friend a "huge comic nerd" if they don't have any interest in the medium itself.
>>
>>80768548
I see. Well thank you sir for your help in the matter
>>
OP, can any of you actually draw?

If not, you've got a big problem right there.
>>
>>80768258
make it absolutely clear what everyone's duties are each week. Since it's a first project, and you guys probably lack discipline, set the bar kinda low so you're not always hounding whoever the laziest person on your team in for always failing to meet their quota.
>>
even if you intend to, don't think of your comic as something you will be working on for years.

Your goal into to make 'a comic' which is a vague notion. Your goal is to complete a comic book which finishes its story. Your next project is another book which also needs an ending.
>>
>>80767873
don't go out of your way stressing over that. Just come up with something after hours while sharing a few beers.
nothing too arrogant or too self-depreciation. just Streetlight Comics or something.
>>
>>80768652
Low bar and weekly agenda, sounds good
>>80768705
Can't rush perfection
>>
>>80768743
Would our initials in alphabetical order be good as a foundation?
>>
>>80767688
Fellow anon here I would love to make several comics I have names,characters,plot,beginning and end (some with new beginnings with new characters) and spinoffs BUT. I can't write for shit(and I mean am illiterate) and I have Chris Chan level art what do?
>>
>>80768931
if you are bad enough at both writing and drawing, your work can be interesting just because of how bad it is. try doing something
>>
>>80768931
Pay someone else to do it.
>>
>>80768960
I get that but no that would destroy the story am trying to tell I don't want to kill my characters..yet.
>>
>>80768971
How would one go about doing that? also poor fag I think I have every possible road block in my way except my hands being chopped off
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.