[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Let's Discuss: Disney's Bronze Age
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 1
File: bronzeage.jpg (20 KB, 500x300) Image search: [Google]
bronzeage.jpg
20 KB, 500x300
The "Bronze Age" of Disney (sometimes mixed in with the "Dark Age" of the Early-to-Mid 80's as well, covers the movies made by Disney in the years following Walt's death - ie, the first batch of films they had to make without Walt's guidance. This was also a continuation of the Xerox animatoin that started in the 60's.

How do these films hold up today? Do you enjoy any of them? Do you consider any of them under-rated, or do you agree that this era of Disney's history is mostly forgettable?
>>
Robin Hood is only known for creating furries. Aristocats is mediocre beyond believe, Winnie the Pooh was just mashing together already made material. Rescuers is the only movie from that age that was halfway decent.
>>
They're ok. Nowhere near as bad as the shit Disney crapped out in the Mid-2000's. More mediocre than anything.
>>
Say what you will about the others, but The Rescuers really is an under-rated film. Shame it's forgotten by most. The sequel was a lot better though.
>>
I actually liked Robin Hood, and I'm not even a furry. I thought it was a fun take on the legend. I used to love that Phony King of England song as a kid, though at the time I didn't know about all the reused animation.
>>
Bedknobs and Broomsticks, Robin Hood, and Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh now streaming as part of a M-W-F marathon through Disney. Shorts on now, first movie at 8:30 EST. livestream dot com slash oakshappyfuntime
>>
Meh, definitely one of the weak spots of Disney, but I'd say the lowest point is whenever Chicken Little and Home on the Range came out.
>>
>>80757536
Aristocats is a top three Disney Movie for me.
>>
>>80758172
I'm curious. What do you like about it? I can see it having some charm, but it already fel tkind of mediocre to me. And Edgar is by far the worst Disney Villain.
>>
Aristocats and Robin Hood make Home on the Range look good.
>>
Is there like an official designation to these ages? I had personally thought it was like Golden Age, Silver Age, Bronze Age, Renaissance, Millennial, Dark and currently Second renaissance
>>
I always liked the many adventures on Winnie the Pooh. Really comfy atmosphere.

Aristocats and Robin Hood were meh, Rescuers wasn't great ether but its existence did lead too Rescuers Down Under so I say the original has a good place.
>>
>Winnie the Pooh
>forgettable

nigga... are you high right now?
>>
If Walt is such a fucking genius then how did that garbage the Sword in the Stone get made on his watch?
>>
>>80760870
He had one foot in the grave already at that point. Probably didn't care anymore.
>>
>>80757363
I'm nostalgic about Robin Hood since I watched it on tape a lot when I was little.
>>
>>80757363
All of those movies are decent but of course have their flaws. The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh though is god-tier.

>>80758172
I feel you on that anon
>>
"It was a dismal time for the industry. Nobody was still making theatrical animation except Disney, but the animators were old and tired and it showed in their work."

-- John K
>>
>>80757934
Robin Hood on now
>>
An unfortunate combination of economics and demographics resulted in 15 years of shit.
>>
>>80762250
This is where I disagree with John k. While some artists, where slowing down many like Milt Kahl still produced some amazing stuff, problem was the stories, like the Aristocats they where boring and bland. When Disney died I feel like everybody had no idea where to take the company next, some belivedd in doing less fantasy stuff and others beloved in doing darker fantasy stuff like Bakshi's or Bleuth's work.
>>
They were pretty ugly. Everything was drawn in pencil and the background animations were embarrassing.
>>
The stories were awful. Aristocats was dull, Robin Hood had no stakes because the hero was OP, Winnie the Pooh....well, that was nice. Rescuers Down Under outshone the original so much that it's retroactively worse.
>>
>>80760712
Golden Age - Snow White through Bambi
Package Era - Saludos through Ichabod
Silver Age - Cinderella through Jungle Book
Bronze/Dark - Aristocats through Oliver and Company
Renaissance - Little Mermaid through Tarzan
Experimental - Fantasia 2000 through Bolt
Revival - Princess and the Frog to Present

though some differ on the starting/ending poitns on the Renaissance and Revival eras.
>>
>>80763103
>Oliver and Company
>Bronze
Now hold on just one god damn minute
>>
A problem not often mentioned is that by the early 70s, a lot of the equipment in Disney's studios was worn out and very expensive to replace. This included vital photocopying machines - in 1959, Xerox released the first commercial photocopying machine and Disney were among the earliest adopters, however they were over 10 years old and in need of replacement at that point.
>>
>Aristocats
Not horrible, just most of the movie doesn't stick out and the stakes are so low. They're outrunning a retarded butler.
>Robin Hood
really fun. Loses steam in the second half. It feels really odd that Maid Marian is gone for most of the movie too.
>Winnie the Pooh
the best of the four, although wasn't almost all of it from the 60s?
>Rescuers
Another movie that starts great and loses steam. Also, that's a pretty sexy little girl, Ollie.
>>
I seriously don't think anybody remembers Aristocats.
>>
>>80763544
There is no way Oliver and Company is considered part of the Renaissance. I mean I love that movie, a lot, but it's never been considered one of those all time classics from that era of great Disney movies. It's like saying The Great Mouse Detective is well remembered, that's completely wrong because of how incredibly underrated it is

I'm not lying but the best way to know how influential a Disney movie was is if had it's own level in Kingdom Hearts
>>
>>80763103
Fox and the Hound to Oliver and Company can make up Dark. I'd argue Revival started with Meet the Robinsons, the first movie Lasseter stepped in on, but judging by a week long movie marathon they did in Los Angeles it looks like the studio considers Bolt the beginning.
>>
>>80764812
>I'd argue Revival started with Meet the Robinsons,
Nobody gave a fuck about Meet the Robinsons. Like at all
>>
>>80764896
I do.
>>
>>80764909
And I gave a fuck about Atlantis but I'm not going to suddenly pretend everybody else did or that people remember it
>>
>>80764896
it represents a change in the company. It's a weird transition movie that could fit in either era, like Fox and the Hound.
>>
>>80764812
Fuck Bolt. Robinsons was the superior movie. Just like Great Mouse Detective is superior to Oliver and Company, but Oliver was the financially successful one.
>>
>>80764789
That logic puts Tron Uprising and the Three Musketeers on a higher pedestal than I think they deserve.
>>
>>80765072
I'm pretty sure the "change in the company" is officially considered to be at PatF or Tangled
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.