[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why did it get cancelled?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 7
File: Invader_Zim_title_card.png (117 KB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
Invader_Zim_title_card.png
117 KB, 300x225
Why did it get cancelled?
>>
Because it was too violent and the creator hated his fanbase
>>
Fairly Oddparents won.
Also Jhonen was a fucking dick.
>>
>>80756403
2edgy4nickelodeon
>>
Poor ratings and poor idea to have Jhonen working on a kid's show.
>>
>>80756433
This is literally the only reason why. He was a huge pain in the ass and a nightmare to deal with for the network from day one and only got worse and worse as time went on. Don't hold anything against him for it, that's just what happened.
>>
Well atleast we have some form of continuation with the comic.

Better than nothing, right?
>>
File: sip.jpg (29 KB, 720x544) Image search: [Google]
sip.jpg
29 KB, 720x544
>>80756433
More like, Fairly OddParents was actually funny and likable.
>>
>>80756502
>Don't hold being a dick against someone

No, I think I WILL.
>>
File: 53chij0q.jpg (319 KB, 1358x1000) Image search: [Google]
53chij0q.jpg
319 KB, 1358x1000
If it didn't, pic related wouldn't have been made.
>>
>>80756403
It cost a lot of money to make and it didn't bring in enough. That's the official story anyway, they must have made a fortune in merchandise.
>>
>>80757235
>they must have made a fortune in merchandise.
Yes, after it ended.
>>
>>80756884
>Fairly OddParents was actually funny
Nah
>>
>>80756884
>actually funny
Maybe. I remember liking it when I was 12.
>>
>>80758595
But you would think all that merchandising money would be an incentive to bring the show back.
>>
I'm still surprised no one has came up to Jhonen and wanted to work on another animated show.

Seriously what does he even do now to make money? I like to think the invader zim clothing fad died ages ago.
>>
File: johnny.png (140 KB, 600x300) Image search: [Google]
johnny.png
140 KB, 600x300
I just have to wonder what kind of papers got jumbled up that allowed the JTHM guy to do a kid's cartoon.
>>
>>80760696
you seriously dont know? He kept making stuff, just as part of design teams instead of directing. His last big hit was Bravest Warriors. Before that it was American ninja or what the fuck it was called.
>>
>>80760696
If he was smart and saved his money responsibly he should be set for life.
>>
>>80760828

thats neat.
>>
>>80756403
So heres the deal.

Vasquez is actually a pretty good writer, and hes always worked on some funny shit. This show here was the shit, it had really good humour but most of the fans were not mature enough to understand it and just repeated what they thought was the "RANDOM" humour, not realizing that most of the time the show was mocking precisely the type of person they were trying to be.

Yes there was screaming and shooting and stabbing and shit, even squirrels, but the show was everything but random humour. It actually had some of the funniest expectation-challenging jokes of the time. From the Tallest and their empire being a shitpile to things like Zim stealing organs to be the most human.

Fans are shitheads that cant appreciate the show for how good it was and just wanted to showcase themselves as pretty randumb butterflies that shot rainbows out of their arses tho, so they were faggots.

Still a really good show.
>>
File: B_2RU3_UsAAFnKB.jpg (84 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
B_2RU3_UsAAFnKB.jpg
84 KB, 1024x1024
>>80757235
This is one of the main reasons. The ratings for the show were poor, therefore they couldn't justify the show's budget. I believe the ratings were a result of Nick moving the show's time slot all over the place. There's probably more to it, though.

>>80760696
He's working on a show for Disney XD, titled Very Important House. Not sure if it's been picked up for a full season, but they did finish the pilot/first episode some time last year.

IIRC, he never saw any money from all the HotTopic merch that was sold. He does however get money from Zim comic series, though.
>>
>>80760696
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOqOy699GSk
>>
>>80760963
damn that scenery looks pretty.
>>
Let's lay this horse to rest.

>only aired on Friday nights, then often shuffled, low ratings
>had a large budget for a Nick show at the time
>not a wide demographic as some of Nick's other shows. There's no way Nick would really air Zim and stuff more often during the day because it was darker compared to other shows.

Meanwhile, the other show that premiered alongside Zim continues to jump the shark 15 years later.
>>
>>80760963
I seem to remember something about someone higher up deciding to basically do everything they could to cause it to fail (thus the horrible timeslot problems, I remember constantly ending up waiting for it and then getting some steaming pile of crap other show instead), simply because it wasn't for younger kids and they thought cartoons should be for younger kids only
>>
>>80756403
the show didn't get popular until after it got cancelled, it used up a lot of money using both cgi and hand drawn stuff. Lots of editing with scripts and stuff due to Jhonen wanting to kill off characters or make stuff to brutal or dark for Nicks standards.
>>
>>80756906
You've got to admit it was a huge gamble to hire the 22-year-old creator of something called "Johnny the Homicidal Maniac" to make a children's cartoon and expect that to go smoothly.
>>
>>80760996
"I HATE YOU PRESTON!!!!"
>>
>>80756433
>>80761049
Of all the shows, why do you keep picking fights with FOP?
I'm pretty sure Spongebob is more to blame.
I see this in every IZ thread and it always just provokes infighting.
Which is exactly why I avoid these threads usually.
>>
>>80761049
Don't forget the horrible art style that could only be loved by a niche fetishistic autistic cult community
>>
>>80756403

I heard that most of the cast didn't like each other so even if it did get renewed, it wouldn't be the same.
>>
>>80761130
He picked the channel. he could have gone to adult swim and he would probably be on air for years but he wanted the challenge

He just didnt realize how many restrictions and demands he would get

Amidst others

"put a toilet in the scene"
"make this character head larger"
"have the cute thing eat more."

Which he always subverted to be horrible in some way. From gir vomiting everything because he didnt digest anything to zim slowly sliding himself into toilets to Dib having a giant head and people screaming about how his head was horrifically big.
>>
File: 1450416421751.jpg (109 KB, 1916x1076) Image search: [Google]
1450416421751.jpg
109 KB, 1916x1076
>>80761182
>fetishistic autistic cult community
Yeah, that was me alright
>>
>>80759628
Or at least, finish all of the episodes that were fully written and voiced but never animated.
>>
>>80760938
Not to mention most of that humor came from Gir. It was entirely in character for Gir to be "random" he was a defective army robot. Most of his gags stemmed from him misinterpreting Zim's demands or not having the ability to do what Zim requested.

Sure Gir making waffles is "random" but it's still clearly in line with him trying to "help" with the mission in a completely ineffective way.
>>
>>80761333
the fact that he was still following up on stuff that was told to him , made it actually not random. It was just unexpected and defective.

"im gonna sing the doom song" was not a likeable thing like so many people thought, it was designed to make the killer robot servant umbearably retarded.

yet so many still "sang" the doom song that Gir voice actor once had to threaten a fan that kept trying to get him to sing it on an elevator at a con.
>>
>>80761248
It was better that way. Some of the funniest jokes came from working around censorship. Jhonen goes too much for gross/gore humor otherwise.
>>
>>80756884
I remember liking it at the same time I unironically liked shit like Code Lyoko, so that doesn't bode well for it.
>>
>>80761164
Because picking a fight with an active fanbase is the only way they can get (You)s in a shit thread for a dead shit show.
>>
>>80761248
Just as you said, this was poor judgement on his part. But his decision wasn't the only one that made Invader Zim a series on Nickelodeon. A lot of other people, some of them perhaps better able to perceive the risks and challenges involved, also made that leap of faith.
>>
>>80761448
Right, the gag was more the fact that the first thing Zim's android does is relentlessly behave like an ill behaved toddler on a long car ride. The Doom Song wasn't supposed to be a laugh riot or anything.
>>
>>80761509
ADHESIVE MEDICAL STRIPS
>>
File: url.jpg (11 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
url.jpg
11 KB, 259x194
>>80760696
Took a while, but he was the character designer for this Disney XD show while it lasted
>>
>>80760828
He wrote ONE episode.

I don't know why everyone still sucks his dick. He's always been a jerk and he's just as bad as the fandom he hates. Last time I checked his twitter he was still talking about doom muffins.
>>
>>80761164
>Fairly Odd Parents and Invader Zim both premiered on March 30th, 2001
>They were purposefully pitted against each other
>>
>>80761941
So we're a couple of weeks away from that night being exactly 15 years ago
Where has the time gone
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.