[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone else get kinda sad when you realize how bad Marvel's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4
File: civilwar-capvsironman-promo.jpg (774 KB, 1500x801) Image search: [Google]
civilwar-capvsironman-promo.jpg
774 KB, 1500x801
Anyone else get kinda sad when you realize how bad Marvel's comic books are right now?
And it's entirely because of the MCU. Every comic book that comes out is just trying to appeal to fans of the movies, even though market research consistently shows that there's no significant overlap between newcomers to the comic books and fans of the movies.
It's just a complete waste of some of the most iconic fictional characters in human history. It's sad.
>>
Don't forget writers who just know MCU over comics
>>
I'm still hype for Standoff. Sad that Vision doesn't sell though and King is going full DC after it anyway.
>>
File: SBNMCover.jpg (343 KB, 575x387) Image search: [Google]
SBNMCover.jpg
343 KB, 575x387
>>80745029
Can't wait for that Starbrand and Nightmask movie.
>>
>>80745068
This is mostly the issue. Some of it is mandated but I think the majority of the movie shit in comics is due to people too lazy to do any research.
>>
File: iron_monger_triumph00.jpg (180 KB, 900x1341) Image search: [Google]
iron_monger_triumph00.jpg
180 KB, 900x1341
>>80745114
It should never be "doing research." Writing a good comic book comes from having passion for the story you're telling, not solely from adhering to a cannon
>>
Ah yes, the Marvel comics that try to appeal to fans of the movies.

Where Captain America is Sam, Thor is a woman, Kitty Pryde is part of the GotG and Hawkeye doesn't have a family,
>>
>>80745174
Yeah OP, trying to cocksuck movie fans was more 2014, now it's all about that eye catching bullshit
>>
>>80745150
Pushing aside the idea that comics are only passion projects and not also people trying to make a living and often doing work they don't care about much like many other adults in other industries, even if you've read and love the material doesn't mean you remember the details. You should still do research for a run to double check your memory so you don't fuck anything up accidentally.
>>
>>80745201
Even in 2014 when TWS came out, Rogers was an old man in the comics and Bucky was having weird drug induced space adventures.
>>
>>80745029
Honestly can you really blame Marvel for not giving a shit about their comics anymore though?

The hard fact is they're a movie company now, one of the most successful in the industry. The amount of money their comics bring in is insignificant in comparison, I'm pretty sure they're just making them because they're expected to at this point.
>>
It's nothing new. Marvel has been overall terrible since the late 80's. There's been plenty of good, too, but their focus on pandering has been a constant cancer on the market, from the complete focus on the direct market to constant events and crossovers to Spider-Man and X-Men maximum overwank to focus on the collector's market to the Avengers Disassembled age of edgelord crap to what we have today.

I mean it's not like every other publisher is putting out pure gold or anything but good content from Marvel has been the small minority for a very long time and their current trend towards controversy over compelling story is nothing new.
>>
The new Daredevil ongoing is fucking fantastic.
>>
>>80745029
Well, it's not like Marvel before MCU was that much better but it's worrisome, yeah. Now, I concern more about DC and their New52.

Overall, both Marvel and DC are pretty much in a very...shit situation, I think.
>>
>>80745029
capeshit is fucking dead since civil war/flashpoint
>>
>>80745293
DC is only in a shit situation due to their lack of a proper marketing team. On the whole their books are of way better quality and they pander far less to tumblr than Marvel does. DC has been doing diveristy the proper way for 30 years, but all their efforts go unacknowledged because Marvel markets themselves everywhere.
>>
>>80745808
Many people fuck-off because of New52, my friend. I will not say it's shit but people really feels off with this move.

I don't think marketing will help much with this case, honestly.
>>
>>80745029
A bigger question is why is the Civil War comic held with such high regard when it's mostly shit?
>>
>>80745029
It's the shitty editors and the fact that they let shitty writers write for their comics and they let Bendis do whatever the fuck he wants and pass it off as a story.

The only thing the MCU does is provide them popularity but honestly it's up to the readers to stop buying into hype events and shitty comics.
>>
>>80745029
If Marvel pandered to the movies more we would actually have better comics
>Spider-Man is Peter alone, no Miles
>Captain America is not Sam, Sam is Falcon as it should be
>No Whor, Thor is Thor
>No Kitty Pryde in GOTG
>Bruce Banner would be the main/only Hulk

The unnecessary changes in current comics bother me more than moviegoer pandering.
>>
>>80746290
Nostalgia and it's baby's first comic event so a lot of people read it when they were really young and probably remembered differently and others just go wit the "Civil War is good" meme

Also it's really related to Cap's death (which doesn't even happen in the comic but people who never read it don't even know) so around the time TWS came out fans were wanting Civil War for Cap 3 and Marvel Studios took notice, RDJ was on board, and Cap 3 got hijacked for it.
>>
Literally why does anyone bother reading Marvel over DC?
>>
>>80746628
At least the movie is looking better then the comic
>>
>>80746660
They enjoy Marvel's characters/stories/creators/other more.
>>
Civil war was bad.
>>
>>80745029
I really enjoy Dr Strange, Uncanny X-Men and Invincible Iron Man. Dissapointed with my favourite Spider-Man, but hopefuly it'll get better
>>
>>80746660
Marvel marketing and DC announced New52, for some reason, many people seems to really hate it.
>>
>>80746660
Because Marvel puts out better books even if they're both shit? It has been like this since 1970 salewise.
>>
>>80745029
>even though market research consistently shows that there's no significant overlap between newcomers to the comic books and fans of the movies.
kek
>>
>>80746660
Marvel is much more progressive and much more likely to do a modern, daring story.
>>
>>80746660
Literally why does anyone bother reading Marvel or DC over Image?
>>
>>80749596
Image is mostly just shitty movie pitches even more transparent than DC and Marvel.
>>
>>80745029
All big 2 comics are bad, Marvel is nothing but pandering shit, and any DC book that tries gets cancelled in a few issues because the shit taste readership won't buy it.
If you want good Marvel/DC stories, watch the shows and movies, if you want good comics there are other publishers who have them.
>>
File: 1442338362319.png (53 KB, 133x162) Image search: [Google]
1442338362319.png
53 KB, 133x162
>>80745029
>Every comic book that comes out is just trying to appeal to fans of the movies

There's plenty of fucking shit going on in comic books that has absolutely nothing to do with the movies
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.