[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does anyone else think its time for Pixar to go away? Disney
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3
File: Luxo-Logo.jpg (15 KB, 432x242) Image search: [Google]
Luxo-Logo.jpg
15 KB, 432x242
Does anyone else think its time for Pixar to go away? Disney has outclassed them for a few years now. The Good Dinosaur being a flop just shows the writing on the wall.

It's redundant for Disney to have two CGI animation studios. Wouldn't it be better for Pixar to close and for Disney to absorb (most) of the staff?
>>
>>80738381

Only Disney can do animated Broadway musical-style movies.

Only Pixar can do something like Inside Out.

John Lasseter's original plan was to have Disney alternate between CGI and traditional, but Winnie the Pooh bombing put an end to that. Lasseter seems to really care about it, though, so they might make another attempt sometime next decade.
>>
inside out was damn good and came out right before.

Good dinosaur was just a flop. Wasn't it kinda stuck in development hell for a bit? They probably realized it was a turd early on.
>>
>>80738449
It wasn't just Good Dinosaur, it was Brave, and Monster's University, and Cars 2. While they weren't financial flops, they didn't have the same quality older Pixar films had.
>>
>>80738381
Nah. I think pixar has its own style that allows it to make some really unique interesting stuff. Inside out was really good and though alot of their recent stuff (the sequels most of all) have been a little mediocre their highs i think still outclass disneys.
Like I enjoy the fuck out of plenty of the CG disney films but i dont think any of them are quite on the level as the incredibles, wall-e, or up.

That being said....i would love for them to fucking stop making sequels to shit. I'll take them not making an incredibles sequel if it also means theyll stick to new projects for a while.
>>
>>80738438
>Lasseter seems to really care about it

LMAO
>>
>>80738472
Brave was great, and sequels are always kinda meh.
>>
>>80738512

The dude literally got fired from Disney in the 80s for promoting CGI and one of the first things he did when he came back was try to get The Princess and the Frog going.
>>
>>80738438
>Winnie the Pooh bombing put an end to tha

It's hard to imagine a film that had the deck more stacked against its success than Winnie the Pooh though.

A few months later or earlier with actual marketing and it could have easily made back its budget just because of how cheap it was to make,
>>
>>80738438
That idea would been fucking amazing. Disney does the 2D stuff and Picar handles the CGI shit. But the happy merchants at Disney had to screw it up, now they seem to be pressuring Pixar into making a shit ton of unnessesary sequels. Fuck you Disney. But who knows if Pixar goes under much like Dreamworks, it could lead to 2D making a comeback.
>>
>>80738627
Or if they, you know, released an actual movie. It barely clocked in over an hour long. The movie lacked an Act III.
>>
>>80738438
Why the flying fuck did they think it was a good idea to release Winnie the Pooh alongside the motherfucking final Harry Potter movie? Absolute bonehead move, wouldn't be surprised if it was intentional so they'd have an excuse to ditch traditional animated movies again.

I wonder if traditional Disney animation ever come back, surely at some point right? Sigh...
>>
>>80738682

I doubt it was intentional. Winnie the Pooh had a lot of effort that went into it, the writing, music, and animation were all stellar. If they wanted to fuck up 2D animation they would have done another Home on the Range.
>>
>>80738767
The production crew and marketing boys and the execs who make the decisions on release dates etc don't always work together. Just because they put a lot of love into it doesn't mean some bonehead who gave 0 shits and wanted to pump out some ready-to-bake Tangled™ clones didn't send it out to die.
>>
>>80738627
To be fair there's no way it was going to be beat anything at the box office, including Pixar. It's one of the reasons Disney turned to cgi. Pixar was simply telling more interesting stories, while Pixar was telling ocean adventures, space travel, and superhero stories, Disney was competing with the likes of Home on the Range, many of you probably don't even know the name of the movie I'm talking about do you? Retarded Disney executives looked at this and said, "Hurr Durr must be because of Le CGI."
>>
File: image.jpg (205 KB, 860x1242) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
205 KB, 860x1242
>>80738682
We might see 2D again. There was a time when CGI cartoons in animation where a new craze. Shows like butt ugly Martians, Jimbo Neutron and Reboot where everybody, than those shows began under performing and soon there was an abundance of shitty CGI shows. The same thing happened in the 90s, too many shitty or underperforming 2D films, in the wake of all that came Pixar and Dreamworks, the same could happen since notable studios has been releasing flops.
>>
>>80739108

2D theatrical animation is alive and well in Europe and Japan. It just lacked any heros to carry its banner in America.

Laika keeps stop motion alive in America. 2D just needs its own Laika.
>>
>>80739108
Ken Jeong is a doctor, when is he going to take a step back and say "I'm better than this"?

I mean, he was funny in Community and shit but it's like he just doesn't even care
>>
There is no way in hell i'm posting in a bait thread. Oh wait....
>>
>>80738627
>It's hard to imagine a film that had the deck more stacked against its success than Winnie the Pooh though.

With tons of other Pooh movies in recent release, we're gonna do something really smart—a REBOOT, but not announced as that... we'll only indicate it by removing the extraneous new characters we've introduced lately... and by calling the movie just "Winnie the Pooh."

Congrats: we've created a Brand X that nobody even realizes is something new or different.
>>
File: 1453304848381.jpg (42 KB, 712x712) Image search: [Google]
1453304848381.jpg
42 KB, 712x712
>>80739446
>take a step back and say "I'm better than this"

You think he gives a fuck?
He phones in a role, half-asses on set for two weeks, or in the case of voice acting, an afternoon, and makes easy fucking money.

And if suddenly hollywood doesn't want him anymore, he can go back to being a doctor, it's not like a patient gives a fuck if he wasn't funny in that one movie they saw ten years ago.
>>
>>80738472
I think it's because lasetter isn't sitting in with them as much. John is pretty much the only higher up who thinks about story, not toy sales.
>>
>>80738381
I think you should go away.
If you can't tell the difference from Pixar's and Disney's movies, well you are an incompetet faggot.
>>
Cars merchandise has still made them immortal at this point senpai
>>
>>80738472
>Monster's University
Come on, it wasn't so bad. I liked it.
>>
>>80738472

>Cars 2
>bad

Neck yourself, kid.
>>
>>80738381

Pixar has a formula which is sort of a default state they fall into. People generally know what to expect when watching them. What they have to do is take more risks, like Disney appears to be doing right now, and break out of that pattern.

Inside out was a start, but the good dinosaur and most likely finding dory are regressions
>>
>>80738530
>>80743711
>>80743727
Samefag.
>>
>>80743850
Not this time Sherlock you wannabe wiseass piece of shit
>>
>>80738472
Those sequels are supposed to be cash cow, instead of an outstanding masterpiece.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.