[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are cartoonist always depressed in some way?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 9
File: image.jpg (81 KB, 645x1260) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
81 KB, 645x1260
Why are cartoonist always depressed in some way?
>>
Well adjusted people don't work in animation.
>>
confirmation bias
>>
>>80735884
Same reason why musicians are always depressed. Their art serves as an outlet for releasing their inner frustrations and escaping the real world.
>>
>>80735937
Hey, I have a shot then!
>>
>>80735995

Yep, read up on confirmation bias. Realize you commit it every single day.
>>
It's not a very good job.
>>
>>80736059
You are now confirmation biasing manually.
>>
>>80736098

Why does everyone always confirmation bias?
>>
Every artist is fucked up one way or another
>>
File: image.jpg (264 KB, 2048x2048) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
264 KB, 2048x2048
>>80736014
>artists, like cartoonist, musicians, and comedians, are the only ones expressing their frustrations
>everyone else just pretends things are fine

Still, no one wins
>>
>>80735884
Lern to grammer.
>>
>>80736839
You belong here
>>>/trash/
Stay in it
>>
>not taken seriously by majority of public
>pay is shit
>work can be exhausting
>continue to watch vastly inferior work make loads of money
>>
>>80735884
all art comes from suffering, that's why it's called painting
>>
Everyone is like that, but it's easier to see it in the artistic types. You know that old saying that the best source material is hardships and real life?
>>
>>80738970
This gave me a hearty kek.
>>
>>80735884
don't get paid enough and always having to make compromises on unreasonable shit
>>
Creative types often are.
>>
Because we realize how thankless the job is and how what we make is seen as literally disposable most times
>>
>>80735884
Cartoons are usually comedic and funny people are often unhappy.
>>
Art is hard to make a living in, and most of the time cartoonists wind up getting a shitty part in life for at least a little - a lot of the times, either because they ended up being almost homeless (if not actually homeless) or something of the like, or they get shit for being into art - usually family or friends going "sure, you're talented, but you could never make a living with what you love doing more than anything else and have poured months if not years of your life into!"

Also, yeah, a lot of people use art as a vent point, so if they're depressed/mentally ill/been through Some Shit(tm) in general, art gets used as a vent to distract them from whatever it is.
>>
>>80735884
I think everybody is deeply down constantly depressed.
>>
>>80735884
It's a laborious and largely unappreciated art form outside of certain circles.
>>
>>80735884
Because they keep getting fucked by jew producers.
>>
>>80740200
Sometimes I think that, but I'm not sure if it's my own depression clouding my judgement. It certainly seems like the vast majority of people are depressed, with a good chunk of them believing their own lies of being happy. But it certainly can't be EVERYONE, right? I want to believe there's people who are truly happy deep down and they're not covering up a deep seated pain like the rest of us.
>>
>>80740200
Tell that to wealthy rich people.
>>
File: end.jpg (83 KB, 800x423) Image search: [Google]
end.jpg
83 KB, 800x423
Dear readers.

I find myself going through the most difficult time of my life. I plan to do a lot of self-searching and self-reflecting in the coming months and I will be unable to continue the comic. I need to do a lot of work on myself on the path to becoming a healthy and complete person. I feel that sometimes the themes of the comic and the way I behave online misrepresent who I really am. So I need to begin to change my mindset.

Thanks to everyone for reading, from the bottom of my heart. You have been part of some of the happiest times of my life.
>>
Probably because it pays shit. Heard about the conditions in Japan?
>>
File: le rich suicide comedian.jpg (139 KB, 1636x1227) Image search: [Google]
le rich suicide comedian.jpg
139 KB, 1636x1227
>>80740267
>>
>>80740267
>He thinks rich people can't be depressed.
>>
>>80740270
what's this the most expected thing?
>>
File: rip_ricky.jpg (46 KB, 915x254) Image search: [Google]
rip_ricky.jpg
46 KB, 915x254
>>80740378
the next week the author commit suicide
>>
As an animation student, you soon realize you won't be working on your own ideas or creations, you'll be working on a committees' test audience approved, toy friendly, regulated media trash. The only way up is to kiss ass, cut corners, and pander to the ever lowering attention span of the general audience.

Here's what a executive said to my school once, "Most of you won't be paid for your ideas, you'll be paid for your ability to press buttons and click mice."

So by the time you've reached "the top" you know why you're there, to sell for the least amount and highest profit. Anything else is just window dressing.
>>
>>80740463
>>
>>80740597
To see Lasetire's fat head roll down the steps of the Cinderella Castle is my dream
>>
File: mylife.jpg (171 KB, 500x693) Image search: [Google]
mylife.jpg
171 KB, 500x693
We're all weird and were picked on in school, we draw and create characters because that was what we did instead of having friends as children.

Art is an incredibly difficult thing to dedicate your life to and requires you to judge your self-worth every time you pick up a pencil. If your art has no value in the world it feels like you yourself have no value.

People put you down and don't take you seriously, especially if you're a cartoonist which some people don't see as "real art". People consider trying to have a job as an artist to be laughable despite that if they told all artists to give up they wouldn't have the shows, video games, comic, and etc. that they enjoy. Until you've "made it" you are a joke to the every day person.

No respect and fighting hard to put a leg in the industry, and even when you do you usually have to worry about your next job because the show or movie won't last forever.

I chose this. I chose this hell.
>>
>>80740817
Speak for yourself, niggah. I chose art so i didn't have to crunch numbers or go to board meetings. I finish something or give it to my Asian whipping boy then go out and drink with my friends. Pay is meh, but at least i mostly dick around all day.
>>
>>80740200
I mean everyone is depressed.
But standing in the bathroom with a 3 week beard and 5 days without showering.
Can't ever remember the last time I touched another human.
Unable to meet the reflection of your own eyes in the mirror.
Looking at your brown matted hair, thinking about a particular photo of yourself as a child.
So blonde. So full of hope.
What would he think of you?
How could you even explain what you've done?
He would hate you. He would be scared of you.
I scrounge for a passable set of clothes and pull a hat tightly over my head.
I make the walk to the liquor store less than an hour before it closes.
Darkness will obscure the depth of my sins.
As I breach into the glaring fluorescence I head directly for the cheap vodka.
No browsing, no pretense. They know what I'm there for.
I grab a single shot mini-bottle of something red while waiting at the register.
That will be my "treat" tonight. I deserve no reward, yet I take it anyway.
A cycle of desire and regret. A microcosm of my life.
The manager gently pushes past me to assist the cashier.
A middle aged man, first generation immigrant from India, with a belly to make the children he left behind jealous.
He places his hand on my back for a second to stabilize himself.
It is the only warmth I've felt in months. I feel comforted and ashamed at the same time.
Doesn't he know how intimate this is? How dare HE make me feel this way.
Why not a girl? Oh how I would break if a girl were to touch me.
But instead I get the indifferent caress of a man with only profit on his mind.
Finally reaching the cashier, I am flustered and off balance from my encounter.
I stumble though the transaction and get out the door.
>>
>>80741084
Walking home I reflect. Was I aroused? Was I actually aroused by that disgusting man?
I crack the bottle after a police car passes me. One shot for the road.
Upon entering my apartment I tear away the coverings of my body and my bottles.
A glass next to my keyboard is filled and emptied twice.
I stagger to the kitchen to microwave something. Anything.
After a long seated piss and several reminder beeps I return to find my food re-congealed.
30 second nuke. Shake the numbness from my legs. BEEP. Good enough. Grab a spoon. Back to base.
I deflate into my chair and fumble for that tiny red bottle.
It's raspberry. A minor blip in my endorphins.
I shovel the lukewarm food into my mouth. A second blip.
Over the next hour the nutrition gradually mixes with the alcohol in my bloodstream.
Now at the peak of my delirium I begin to feel.
All week long I struggle against gravity and time just to maintain my life.
But now at 5 am on a Saturday I'm on top baby.
If only briefly, I'm genuinely happy. A hard fought battle just to smile.
A tear comes to my eye as I notice dawn's glow through the cracks in the blinds.
Others are starting their day, and I know I'll collapse before the joggers finish their weekend routes.
Trying to resume my good mood I settle into a session of self pleasure.
I browse every size and shape of breast the internet has to offer, but the taint of the man's touch earlier is too vivid in

my mind.
Another glass filled and emptied. I forget now.
Forget what it felt like. Where I am. Who I used to be.
Everything is gone. My body limp and useless.
I give up on pleasure.
In one final, instinctive lurch I land face down on my bed.
Nothing will wake me until dusk. And I begin again.
>>
>>80735884
But im not, everyone gets depressed too
>>
File: this-is-a-milf-2.png (1 MB, 778x910) Image search: [Google]
this-is-a-milf-2.png
1 MB, 778x910
>>80741084
>>80741094
>tfw i ain't reading all of this shit
>>
whats with this /r9k/ garbage
>>
because you have to have some sort of mental disorder to have the weird obsession with drawing and wanting people to see your drawings. with depression maybe thats the only thing that keeps them feeling like they have a purpose
>>
>>80740322
i crie everytiem
>>
>>80736368
It's just that artists have a profound and personal method of expressing their pain.

Everyone else just shitposts on 4chan or something similar.
>>
animator's wages are hardly different from a burger flipper
>>
>>80742555
Hey better than being stuck at a call centre all your life

Dream > Success

Only Science and Engineering jobs give high paying salary out the gate.

You can earn a lot in animation if you climb up the corporate ladder for the first 15 years kissing exec's feet and sucking cock and working hard i guess

Producers who work on animated movies get a substantial high pay, Anon don't be jealous you didn't take a leap and went the safer route
>>
>>80735884
I don't know why but the first tought that has came to my mind reading this was "dobson"
>>
>>80742555
burger flippers get paid
>>
>>80735884
Because you're a broken person.
>>
>>80735884
Art is a good escape
>>
File: image.jpg (22 KB, 200x192) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
22 KB, 200x192
>>80742863
Dobson might as well be the most depressed cartoonist ever

>tried to become popular
>only underage preteens like him
>started a patreon
>hardly anyone paying him
>everywhere he goes, he gets shit on
>failed at pretty much every aspect he tried to accomplish
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.