[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
why does the live-action movie medium make such a huge impact
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: batsignal_zpskn11zx6y.jpg (243 KB, 1024x682) Image search: [Google]
batsignal_zpskn11zx6y.jpg
243 KB, 1024x682
why does the live-action movie medium make such a huge impact on people? i don't understand why we need to get so pumped for this stuff when there's already amazing comics, cartoons, and games that are more rich in content than an expensive 2 hour hollywood performance.
>>
Cause people view that stuff as being for kids
>>
>>80730878
Movies carry a sense of legitimacy that other mediums do not.
I think partially because of how well regarded actors are and how much money they cost and make.
Also I think they are the closest people get to the idea seeming like its a real thing. Even though in many ways its just as cartoonish or fantastical. Because its real people filmed in such a way that makes them look like events really unfolding, i think it resonates with far more people than other forms of media.
>>
>>80730878
>why does the live-action movie medium make such a huge impact on people?

>Why are movies a mass media to the extent that they are?

Are you really asking this question? Cause that's a hell of a question, with reasons both historical and cultural.
>>
>>80730878
I would be shocked to find a comic or cartoon with the budget of a Hollywood movie. Not saying that is reflective of quality.

Also
>normies
>>
>>80730878
In Bizarro World, the source material for most adaptations is film, and people can't wait for them to be adapted to print.

Uggh. All these casuals pretending to like Guardians of the Galaxy because they made it into an ongoing. I bet they've never even seen Guardians of the Galaxy, vol. 2 or know who Chris Pratt is.
>>
>>80730878
>Comics, cartoons and games

Shitty kiddy stuff

>Live action

Mature stuff for mature people such as myself.

It's what normies would say.
>>
>>80732507
hahhaa, this sounds perfect
>>
>>80730878
Because reading is hard :(
>>
Movies are a more visceral and thus more accessible experience.
>>
>>80730878
More than live action movies being high-regarded, I'm more surprised about non-movie media being disregarded to the point of entitlement. And comics have it the worst.
God have mercy on your soul if you dare like a comic based on a movie universe. It doesn't matter how better the story or the characters are in the comic than the movie, people will automatically discard you opinion and/or shout "Not canon!! Only the movies matter!!"
>>
>>80730878
Comics and cartoons require you to use your imagination. The story pretty much only exists in your brain.

Movies allow you a visual and auditory window into the world of the comic. The characters are played by real people, with effects made to look like reality. It allows you to visualize a comic story as a real event, turning a figment of your imagination into a living piece.

This dichotomy isn't new either. Books have always been translated to visual media. Before movies existed, books, and even mythologies (pre-historic equivalent of comics) were adapted as plays. People have always wanted to see characters come to life.

Games are a relatively new phenomenon. Arguably, they make as big of an impact on people as movies. I'd wager that the Arkham games had almost as much of an impact on people as the Dark Knight trilogy did.
>>
>>80730902
/thread
>>
>>80734281
>Comics and cartoons require you to use your imagination. The story pretty much only exists in your brain.
If you said 'books' id agree with you. But comics and cartoons....not so much.
The only things you might be adding yourself is sound or in the case of comics some movement. But theyre still the vision of the artist involved in the end.
>>
>>80730878
Because 10-100x as many people go to the movies.

I mean this is asking why people give a shit about comiccon when there are plenty of other conventions. Because it is the biggest at what it does.
>>
>>80731904
literally just this

the difference between a book describing an explosion and seeing an explosion is massive
>>
>>80734662
Comics do imo. Otherwise we would not have so many faggots screaming about some comics being confusing or trippy.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.