[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Now that Snyder's run is coming to an end, is there anything
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 147
Thread images: 11
File: scottsnyder.png (48 KB, 470x280) Image search: [Google]
scottsnyder.png
48 KB, 470x280
Now that Snyder's run is coming to an end, is there anything he hasn't ripped off from Morrison?

>Batman battles an ancient and powerful organization that secretly controls Gotham
>The leader of that organization is shrouded in mystery but claims to be a Thomas Wayne
>Batman is lured into a labyrinth where he begins to lose his mind in isolation
>A disfigured Joker returns to punish Batman for breaking the "rules" of their friendship
>A seemingly defeated Joker disguises himself as someone in Bruce's social circle before striking again
>A deadly virus infects Gotham which turns people mad. Gordon is temporarily infected and attacks Batman
>Batman battles a villain who claims to be an immortal player in Gotham
>After seemingly dying, Bruce returns but does not remember who he is
>While everyone thinks that Bruce is dead, someone new takes up the mantle
>In order to battle global crime, a fleet of robots is constructed
>Batman's memories are stored in a computer in order to create a new Batman
>In Bruce's "resurrection", he has to become the Batman of a number of different scenarios
>>
Jesus he really did go beat for beat. Why do people praise this hack?
>>
>>80730301
He's accessible.
>>
>>80730219
And BRE has a female villain creating child soldiers lol
>>
>>80730219
>A deadly virus infects Gotham which turns people mad. Gordon is temporarily infected and attacks Batman
That's a trope.
>A disfigured Joker returns to punish Batman for breaking the "rules" of their friendship
Joker and Batman friendship isn't exclusive to Morrison
I'm a Snyder fan and Morrison fan and yes there are similarities but Snyder tackles stuff in a very different way thematically. But yeah I do agree there are a lot of similarities in concepts.
>>
>>80731026
That's just being nitpicky to death but go ahead.
>>80730219
>Batman battles a villain who claims to be an immortal player in Gotham
Who?
>>
>>80730219
Morrison's run was cribbed entirely from other writers and stripped everything comic-booky in Batman's history down to "drugs" and "Darkseid," and you're complaining about Snyder?
>>
>>80731132
Dr hurt in RIP/Joker in Endgame
>>
>>80731132
>Who?
Joker?
>>
>>80731169
>Dr hurt
wasnt he?
>>
>>80731169
Hurt wasn't really an immortal figure. He was just relative archetype.
>>
>neither Snyder nor Morrison choose their plots on their own
>they get told which plots to use by the editorial department
>the editorial department likes to repeat ideas that have good sales
Just remember, it was your choice to read editor-controlled comics. Don't act surprised when the editors control them, sacrificing creativity in the name of profitability.
>>
>>80731218
He said claims to be an immortal figure
>>
>>80731261
>editors telling Morrison what to do
>editors telling Snyder what to do
You can do better damage control that actually makes sense anon.
>>
>>80731337
>editors not keeping serious control over Batman, DC's #1 most-profitable character
Are you serious?
>>
>>80731261
>neither Snyder nor Morrison choose their plots on their own

This isn't true though. Certain things like whether Bruce dies have to be cleared by editorial, yeah, but writers like Morrison and Snyder easily have enough pull to decide the direction of the franchise.
>>
His best stuff was always staying far away from the Joker....but he keeps on putting him in stories.

I don't understand Snyder
>>
>>80731164
>snyderfags actually believe this
>>
>>80731363
>editors risking a run by limiting morrison's creativity
Are you serious?
>>
>>80731363
Morrison can pretty much do whatever he wants. He's morrison.
>>
>>80731363
It's fucking Morrison and Snyder you dumb faggot. If that were the case, Batman currently would feature extended Bat family like it happened in 90s and early 2000s.
>>
File: snyder ruining harvey.png (108 KB, 554x562) Image search: [Google]
snyder ruining harvey.png
108 KB, 554x562
>>80731391
I'm worried that he does write Two Face like he wants, he'll basically just write him like he does Joker
>>
>>80731386
Writers at DC are not given the freedom that you think they are.

For example, in the past Scott Snyder has talked about wanting to use Cassandra Cain and Stephanie Brown, but not being able to do so because DC Editorial and Warner Bros. wouldn't give him permission.

>SNYDER: What I would clarify is that I promise you, as soon as Cassandra Cain and Stephanie Brown are characters that are okay to reintroduce, that have stories that Warner Bros. and DC want to use, I'll be the first person to write them.
>>
>>80731458
Yeah let's Bash Snyder every way we can because he's popular and NOT MORRISON. FUCK OFF. And yes, I'm a Synderfag but /co/ being retarded about his writing is well fucking retarded.
>>
>>80731559
His Two Face sounds like shit, anon.
>>
Im glad hes done, Court of Owls was the only ok thing he wrote during the bat-run. Guy seriously wanted to leave his mark on the joker
>>
>>80731559
>getting this mad because /co/ insulted your husbando
>>
>>80731593
How? 2face hasn't been treated well since No Man's Land and Snyder's stuff sounds like No Man's Land. He needs to be dark and horror filled because tragic figure has been overplayed to fucking death.
>>
>>80731559
Did you even read the pic of those tweets because that is one of the worst things to do with Two-Face. It sounds like it'll be like Robin Year One and other Two-Face interpretations where the coin has two bad choices and Harvey apparently doesn't exist or is a monster too.
>>
>>80731698
Eh, I'm much bigger Morrisonfag and I fellate Morrison all day but /co/ has weird obsession with anything mainstream and popular. Can't wait when /co/ turns on King.
>>
>>80731756
>it'll be like Robin Year One
Wasn't that one actually taken from one of the first Robin stories?
>>
>>80731756
>lel I can't help being a dinifag. How many 2 face stories have you read anon?
>>
>>80731802
I think Dixon first did it in when Dick became Batman and he had to fight Harvey. He told the story to Tim and that is totally why Tim shouldn't be allowed to fight Harvey alone and why he's just so dangerous.
Then he wrote Robin Year One to expand on it later.
Dixon was really good with making his continuity and sticking with it, I'll give him that.
>>
>>80731846
Go suck off Joker some more if you want a 100% evil character, Snyder
>>
>>80731927
Typical /co/ argument.
>>
>>80731927
You just made me realize that Snyder's Joker is almost just Zsasz with white face paint.
>>
>>80732104
He's pretty kill happy

Zsasz isn't very gay though
>>
>>80732102
Because you're good yes
>>
>>80732255
Thanks anon.
>>
>>80732303
You're welcome, this has been nice
>>
>>80730219
>Now that Snyder's run is coming to an end, is there anything he hasn't ripped off from Morrison?
he didn't rip off being able to write Batman marginally better than Morrison.

Not that he's a god of the craft by any means but I'd rather read Snyder Batjackass than Morrison Batgod.
>>
>>80732391
Morrison's Batgod is thematically more culturally relevant and therefore makes for a more transformative story than whatever it is Snyder's been doing. Morrison's Batman was the best since Englehart.
>>
>>80731471
Editorial keeping Cass and Steph out of Batman comics is a good thing desu senpai

I hate that they brought them back.
>>
>>80732391
>Snyder writes Batman better than Morrison
no one really believes this
>>
>>80732948
Most casuals do
>>
>>80732948
I believe that even Tomasi writes better Bat stories. At least he's not up his own ass about how smart he thinks he sounds
>>
>>80733117
>calling someone else a casual
Come on, we're in a Batman thread.

Regardless of which writers you like or dislike, it really doesn't get more casual than this.
>>
>>80731559
waiiiit didn't two-face die in batman vs robin
what happened
>>
>>80733117
Not really.
>>
Agreed, awful run. Dumbing down for the lowest common denominator. All well trodden, tired stories. His Bruce voice is embarrassing.
>>
>>80733443
>off screen bang
>death

Anyway I think Tomasi said the story wasn't over and that implies he had something else.
>>
>>80733545
He's a bit late.
>>
>>80733600
Yes and unfortunately he's off to probably ruin Superman instead.
>>
>>80730219
>Now that Snyder's run is coming to an end

Thank god.
>>
Of all the shit Snyder pulled, his biggest crime was exposing Bennett to comics
>>
>>80733773
>Tynion, Bennett, and all the other Snyderlings are hopelessly mediocre

That doesn't bode well for the online class he's teaching
>>
I liked Gordon as batman to be honest family
>>
>>80731164
>Morrison's run was cribbed entirely from other writers and stripped everything comic-booky in Batman's history down to "drugs" and "Darkseid," and you're complaining about Snyder?
>Thogal
>Damian
>Leviathan
>Pyg
>Batman Inc
Okay faggot
>Dr. Hurt
>>
Who's taking over? When will batman be worth reading again?
>>
>>80737956
yes so glad someone said this
>>
>>80737956
I have no idea what your're even trying to say.
>>
>>80731439
In fact, I believe that's part of his contract.
>>
>>80737511
This.
Snyder's run has been solid, with some high points, and BatGordon is one of them.
>>
>>80731439
Morrison also dicks over editorial continuously by leaving his shit up to the last minute so they can't force him to change it. He knows how to play the game
>>
>>80730219
Don't forget:

>After the Joker's return, he wears all black and dances with a corpse
>An villainous mother figure creates child assassins

Maybe a stretch, but

>Bruce's replacement has his own nemesis who goes by "[Title] [Villainous theme]" and operates by warping ordinary people into being like him

>Joker is implied to be a mystical entity that has existed as long as Arkham
>>
>>80738334
Think he was pointing out original shit Morrison added to Batman.
>>
>>80731758
That would require King to write something shit. Which he won't.
>>
>>80731458
Didn't Two-Face shoot himself in BandR?
>>
>>80737511
I didn't. It didn't feel like Batman nor Gordon.
>>
>>80740479
This is /co/ newfag. People were shitting on King month or 2 ago where Grayson made a remark that we shouldn't say girls, instead we should say woman. I have full confidence in King that he'll write something that will trigger virgins here.
>>
>>80740719
Yet people still like him. Ultimately it would require him to start writing mediocre books for people to turn on him due to something triggering. As long as he continues to write great books, other than the odd triggering or two he'll still be liked by most.
>>
>>80740752
I dunno, man. /co/ went from "based Mark Waid" to "fuck SJWaid" pretty fast. He wrote one book with social themes and suddenly he's considered shit here.
>>
>>80740778
One of the main problems with Waid is how vocal he is on twitter. King currently isn't like that and I don't see him becoming like that either. So he should be fine. And also Waid hasn't really written anything truly great since Ikari in Daredevil. His stuff has been mostly on the good side of middling recently.
>>
>>80730219
His mediocre sales numbers.
>>
>>80731886
I thought Dixon was really hated here on /co/. All I've ever seen here is people calling him a hack.
>>
>>80737956
This.
>>Leviathan
This part was really shit though.
>>
File: snyder.jpg (113 KB, 564x659) Image search: [Google]
snyder.jpg
113 KB, 564x659
>this thread
Nice company war, bros.
>>
>>80730219
Difference is that Snyder told good stories instead of META jerking off shit.

He also spared us the cringy Dickbats that all the fake Batman fans on this board worship
>>
>>80730219
Eh people copy each other

Morrison stole everything in his Batman run from Ed Brubaker's Captain America run

Let's run down Morrison's plagiarism

Main hero dies in event comic(FC/CW)

Sidekick reluctantly picks up mantel(Dick/Bucky)

Fights anti-hero dressed up as hero (Jason/Punisher)

Soul is trapped in time(omega beam/cosmic cube)

Hero Returns in Mini Series (Road Home/Reborn)

Hero returns to head up international security agency (Shield/Batman Inc)

And to top it all off Morrison gave Batman a black sidekick with wings(Falcon/Batwing)

Not to mention Damien is Cass with a penis.

Oh and his "major themes" Batman Never being alone, Batman being eternal, and Batman being a redemptive force where all done better by Frank Miller.
>>
I still enjoy his 11-issue Court of Owls arc, my favorite thing he's done in this run.
And Zero Year was ok. Need to reread Superheavy to know how I really feel about it.

Joker stuff is all shit.
>>
>>80730219
Eh people copy each other

Morrison stole everything in his Batman run from Ed Brubaker's Captain America run

Let's run down Morrison's plagiarism

Main hero dies in event comic(FC/CW)

Sidekick reluctantly picks up mantel(Dick/Bucky)

Fights anti-hero dressed up as hero (Jason/Punisher)

Soul is trapped in time(omega beam/cosmic cube)

Hero Returns in Mini Series (Road Home/
Reborn)

Hero heads up international police (Shield/Inc)
>>
>>80731386
>writers like Morrison and Snyder easily have enough pull to decide the direction of the franchise.
No, that is Chief Editor job or CCO that decided it and sometimes even John(CCO of DC) of all people has to listen to the top brass.
>>
>>80743180
Yeah cause GordonBats is so much better
>>
>>80743181
>Morrison stole everything in his run from a run being published alongside his
Yeah, no.

>gave Batman a black sidekick with wings
Batwing wasn't a sidekick.
>>
>>80743417
the only reason people don't praise GordonBats is because Gordon is an actual character and not just bait for homos and girls like Dick
>>
>>80730219
At lot of these scenarios I feel like he was just stuck with.

I mean some of the big plot points for characters are not just in the hands of one person. They're often in parts of a group decision.
I mean Joker's return was just something that was bound to happen, and he was stuck being part of.It wasn't even in his Batman run that Joker "died".

And of all the dumb shit involving Joker recently, Snyder was the better part of it. But the story was just being weighed down by all the other shit.
Because now every time the Joker shows up, it has to be a big damn event that everyone Bat related has to try to help out in.

Also was the Batman memories thing something he wrote? Or was that someone else.
Who did that Futures End batman clone story?
>>
>>80731444
But they do feature extended Bat family.
That's literally all that Batman Eternal and Batman & Robin Eternal has been.
Having everyone and everything Bat related out and being used.
>>
>>80733443
It was off screen because they never want to kill off anyone popular.
Hell I've seen one time villains be killed off screen so they could always show up maybe because if you confirm a kill you may have to confirm a resurrection.
>>
>>80743501
People do praise GordonBats. And he's no more of an actual characte rthan Dick was.
>>
>>80743439
Brubaker's Cap run started in 04.
Civil War was in 06.

Morrison on Batman started in 06.
Final Crisis 08

Looks like he had plenty of time to run him off.

And I'm sorry Batman Inc members weren't sidekicks they where red shirts.
>>
>>80731261
>>80731363
You do realize Morrison literally told the editorial "lol no the companywide reboot I helped write isn't happening on my batstuf kthxbye :^)", right?
>>
>>80743883
All I know is that I took Morrison Batman run more of a stand alone long series rather than a continuition now. After he finished his run many characters seems to act different from when he's in control. I prefer his version though, it's very solid.
>>
>>80744495
What was best about Morrison's Batman was that he was a masterful detective. That made it fun other than Batman only going around punching people.
>>
Thank god it over.
And since for some bizzare reason, Snyder has pretty much part kept Batman playing in his own sandbox, it will be easily skippable in the future.
Court of Owls being the exception, but it was readable so OK:
>>
>>80744495
Well, that's nothing news. DC was always known for inconsistentcy in it's character portraying and writing. The problem that leads to their lost in sales to Marvel even more so with New52 reboot.

I hope DC fix their shit and do something with New52 soon.
>>
>>80730301
Capullo art and casuals who never read Bats before n52
>>
>>80731054
But Joker returning after being disfigured to fuck with Batman for breaking the "rules" is incredibly specific
>>
>>80745197
Yea, it's a layperson's idea of Batman honestly, thanks to the Nolan films. Moody retard grunting and punching his way through Gotham. Shame Capullo's art was wasted on such a non-story.
>>
Well Batman doesn't have any of those silly underwear and looks much more movie-like now, so he didn't rip that off from Morrison.
>>
>>80731261
You're retarded
Look at how Morrison's Batman meshes with the new 52, ie it doesn't
>>
>>80730219
he didn't create a new, more insufferable Robin, he tried but someone at DC/WB had sense enough to stop that.
>>
>>80745380
This too.
Morrison Batman was for people that don't like Batman and only care about other irrelevant characters.

No wonder they dislike Snyder which was a more personal and Batman related run
>>
>>80745656
I like Morrison's Batman/Bruce though, as a person dude was broken to the very core even more than Miller's version.
>>
>>80745088
Don't forget Bloom
he's a pretty cool villain

Really it's only Snyder's Joker stuff that left a bad taste in everyone's mouth.
And really that was such big events you really can't say that he was solo in that planning, just being stuck with the job.
>>
>>80745160
But n52 had plenty of stories on top of Marvel, especially when it first started.
Hell there was a month or week where Aquaman outsold everything that Marvel produced.
>>
>>80740828
You sound pretty whiny.
>>
>>80743834
I doubt Morrison even read Brubaker's Cap.
>>
>>80746118
Yeah, when it first start then it drop down real fast.
>>
>>80746171
How? Whining about someone claiming /co/ will turn on King?
>>
I have heard that Super Heavy is good but I feel off super early and don't really want to go back to where I was.
>>
>/co/ says RHatO is shit
>read it expecting it to be bad
>it's actually fun
>/co/ says Snyder is shit
What makes you think I will listen to you this time, /co/?
>>
>>80747014
some people* on /co/ say it is shit
others say it isn't
some people say it is shit for the sake of shitposting

it's not all a single minded thing

personally I like snyder's work
most of his Batman stuff is pretty good, plus his Swamp Thing and American Vampire was awesome.
>>
>>80747014
Snyder's Batman is good but overrated by casuals because it's their first Batman ongoing, which led to /co/ being reactionary about it.
RHatO us actually shit though.
>>
>>80745380
What the fuck is Harper row then? Bluebird v Robin is semantics
Damian is twice the character she is regardless of how much you hate him because she has really similar issues as a character
Personally I like Damian, he has nice development and the core premise is that he could be a leader of the world but he'd rather be Batman
>>
>casuals read a run
>people on /co/ have to rip on it for comic nerd cred
why do people here do this
>>
>>80749079
Maybe casuals should stop coming to /co/?
>>
>>80749079
It's not a nerd cred thing, at least not for plenty of people I'm sure
really it's credit where credit is due

I mean the joker stuff is just not good, yet was probably the most popular part of his Batman run.
He has some great stuff. Even great batman stuff. Just maybe not what was the most recent, or the most popular.
>>
File: ZKCXVpE.jpg (206 KB, 1220x918) Image search: [Google]
ZKCXVpE.jpg
206 KB, 1220x918
>>80745656
>>
>>80748982
The problem with Harper is she's not needed.
I mean she was basically Tim Drake.
booksmart kid who is a batman superfan and so clever is actually able to figure out a lot about batman,
and then spends most of the first appearance trying to peptalk batman into being less of a grimdark a-hole.

Though her bluebird design is much better than n52 red robin design
and old52 red robin was just Doctor Mid Nite.
>>
>>80749079
>Opinions hurt my feefees

Its ok anon, everything will be alright.
>>
>>80743233
But those are far more broad, and related to the stages of the hero's journey thsn Brubaker's run itself.
>>
I liked his Joker ideas. A slasher/horror/occult themed Joker sounded fun. But his execution was shit. His in your face batman/Joker relationship was stupid. I liked his endgame, but it had some shit moments dragging down the quality.
>>
>>80752275
>Joker under the bed
>>
File: batman17_94.png (208 KB, 417x240) Image search: [Google]
batman17_94.png
208 KB, 417x240
Embarrassing, really.
>>
>>80752748
That's one of the few good things about this run bakadesusempai.
>>
>>80752803
Nope
>>
>>80752803
Whiny obvious exposition Batman?
>>
>>80749079
The internet is for vitriol, and seeing a chopped up and simplified version of a complex and definitive run get praised at every turn definitely raises my bile.
>>
>>80746171
Hi Waid.
>>
File: bravo.jpg (333 KB, 1000x1537) Image search: [Google]
bravo.jpg
333 KB, 1000x1537
>>80752803
Nothing about his Batman and Joker stuff was good.
>>
File: the-goddamn-batman.jpg (1 MB, 1920x2040) Image search: [Google]
the-goddamn-batman.jpg
1 MB, 1920x2040
>>80752948
this

those were some heady days of actually really, really looking forward to what came next.
>>
File: 1454441798458.jpg (56 KB, 570x238) Image search: [Google]
1454441798458.jpg
56 KB, 570x238
>>80752988
Post yfw this page.

Literally dropped it right there and sold all the preceding issued back to my LCS
>>
>>80752988
Ok, if you don't think that was epic your trying too hard
>>
File: normal tim.png (63 KB, 122x182) Image search: [Google]
normal tim.png
63 KB, 122x182
>>80752988
>literally did that right after Dick started living with him
It's like he wanted an untrained Dick to die

>>80753056
Ok
>>
>>80753015
It's weird how many people are trying to argue that Morrison didn't get Batman when he took him apart brick by 75 year brick and put him back together better than before.
>>
File: 1451886815326.png (268 KB, 643x483) Image search: [Google]
1451886815326.png
268 KB, 643x483
>>80753107
>>
>>80753107
It's a perfect example of Snyder watering down something that Morrison did less than a decade ago while also somehow missing the point.
>>
>>80753107
Except it was nothing new. Snyder just wrote it directly into a story arc. He lacks subtlety.
>>
File: Batman Inc 6 Nyktomorph.jpg (617 KB, 1600x1239) Image search: [Google]
Batman Inc 6 Nyktomorph.jpg
617 KB, 1600x1239
>>80753153
Agreed. And while it's self-referential, meta, whatever, it still functioned as classic Batman capers. One could enjoy an issue, or an arc just on the surface, or one could go as deep as one chose, making the connections, putting it all together, etc.

I pray to Ben Affleck on the hour, facing east, that he adapts this into a trilogy, or quadrilogy of films.

1. Batman and Son intro, truncated Black Glove and RIP

2. Batman and Robin/The Return of Bruce Wayne through time

3. Batman Inc.

Solid stories with themes, emotion, depth, but also big screen action and a colorful cast of characters to sell the toys.
>>
>>80753500
Nothing that Affleck has shown us inspires me with confidence that he has the chops to handle the Bat Epic. And I also think there might be too much content for a handful of feature films. Now, a non-pandering long running animated series?I hope there is a parallel universe where I'd get a crack at that.
>>
So, wait, is Based Tom King taking over Batman?
>>
>>80753500
There's no way you can complete that in three movies. Maybe do it until RIP with Bruce dying off for good in final crisis. Then WB can put a younger Dick as Batman.
>>
>>80753697
It's not confirmed, no
>>
>>80753780
Well, I'm hoping. He'd be perfect.
>>
Do you think Morrison knew they'd put a false idol in his place to imitate him?

How does this fit into the hypercrisis?
>>
>>80753500
>3. Batman Inc.
I honestly don't want this part.
>>
>>80754743
It's uncomfortable to hear him feign praise for Snyder. You can tell he wants to be polite, but can't quite muster the enthusiasm.
Thread replies: 147
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.